Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» RPRA , WHAT DO THEY DO ?
Input needed. Emptyby Knackered Today at 10:07 am

» Good Morning
Input needed. Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 10:03 am

» overnight and multiple nights basket
Input needed. Emptyby Knackered Today at 9:37 am

» Weather today
Input needed. Emptyby David Yesterday at 11:59 am

» RPRA Auction
Input needed. Emptyby David Sun Mar 17, 2024 2:04 pm

» First post on pigeon categories
Input needed. Emptyby oldstrain Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:26 am

» Catching a pigeon
Input needed. Emptyby oldstrain Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:25 am

» RPRA Latest .
Input needed. Emptyby David Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:14 pm

» RPRA Levy ?
Input needed. Emptyby David Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:43 am

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) Input needed. 20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 54 users online :: 3 Registered, 0 Hidden and 51 Guests :: 2 Bots

George & Morgan, Knackered, tanveerhbaig

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.Input needed. Resise10
Top posting users this week
Knackered
Input needed. Vote_lcapInput needed. Voting_barInput needed. Vote_rcap 
tanveerhbaig
oldstrain
David
George & Morgan
barnie
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1293 registered users
The newest registered user is Meddy78

Our users have posted a total of 221844 messages in 13968 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
Input needed. Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
Input needed. Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

Input needed.

Go down 
+2
David
halcanada
6 posters
AuthorMessage
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

Input needed. Empty
PostSubject: Input needed.   Input needed. EmptyMon Oct 23, 2017 11:09 pm

K folks. Few questions. Need your expertise. Maybe done flying in a few years, (unless I can find an anti-aging pill) so want to try the methods I have not used. But apparently some of you have.
Old chestnut. Widowhood cocks. Has anybody changed from nest to widowhood and did better?
Has anyone done the switch then changed back? Has anyone only flew widowhood hens? Roundabout. Best of both worlds it seems. How long do the cocks/hens exercise? Going to fly all races nest year, old and young. Young birds all go. Old birds 18 pairs to fly, or cocks only or hens only. Choices! We all have them. But I have to explore new methods. Next year will band 10 extra. 10 will go to other fanciers for money or prestige races. Appreciate your input folks.
Back to top Go down
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

Input needed. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Input needed.   Input needed. EmptyTue Oct 24, 2017 3:20 am

Just signed up for the Toronto Trifecta series. One lofter. Birds are flown West then East then North. Then if they are still there North East to the big 400 miler. Workout for the birds. $500 for 5 birds. Worth a shot!
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

Input needed. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Input needed.   Input needed. EmptyTue Oct 24, 2017 9:26 am

hi hal, when I raced we flew widowhood cocks, I think its easier than flying natural.......plus once racing had started we stopped training, didn't feel the need apart from maybe the odd one or two now and then.

only thing with widowhood cocks is the waste of hens, so maybe roundabout might be good too once the system is mastered and into the routine.

as you know, I don't know enough to give anyone advise, especially an old hand like your self, but this is just my own views on it.

I`m sure others with greater experience will advise. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
friendsloft
Youngbird
Youngbird
friendsloft

Input needed. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Input needed.   Input needed. EmptyTue Oct 24, 2017 2:58 pm

I Hal i race roundabout too many good hens sitting at home otherwise I Let the hens out first move the cocks into hen section, hens are out an hour, trap hens back into cock section so they go to there own box , let the cocks out but leave the hens in cock secton for 15 min then move them back into their own section gains cocks out for an hour repeat in evening , basketing day run both together 10 min before basketing
Ken
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/friendsloft/index.htm
barnie
Youngbird
Youngbird
barnie

Input needed. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Input needed.   Input needed. EmptyTue Oct 24, 2017 4:07 pm

been a while since I raced and times have changed, but I used to fly natural early 90's and had a few decent results but it was hard work.
I got rid of about half the birds and tried widowhood cocks only but couldn't get them to race as a team, although they exercised like trains and were in good condition, big gaps between them on racedays and being beat off other established widowhood lofts.
Then the penny dropped, I brought in pigeons from successful fanciers who raced cocks only, who in turn had bought their pigeons from widowhood cock lofts and so on.
I thought I'd have a better chance with these type of birds (Janssen Van loons etc) with widowhood bred into them. Took a few years to fine tune a system but looking after them became easy. Only 12 to race, @1hr am fly then 1hr pm, the loft was always fresh and clean and they conditioned themselves. I always kept a couple of hens over the top as some hens wouldn't show so good on Friday night at basketing.
I went from 2 or 3 1sts a year to averaging 12x1sts a year (that included YB's) and topped the fed regularly, winning the fed OB inland averages by 1996 .
I only raced inland but toward the back end racing flew last couple of channel races and won prizes. Widowhood didn't turn average birds into good ones, I only had about 3 real good cocks winning races regular as clockwork usually dropping together on the short ones, but the average ones, that would have won nothing flying natural in my opinion, did take 3rds, 4ths etc and weren't that far behind the winners. Flying widowhood brought the best out of them. Horses for courses, not saying natural birds won't take to widowhood, that's what makes racing interesting.
If I started again I would only race cocks or hens, one sex only, due to work and time available. It's all about enjoying your birds though at the end of the day.
Back to top Go down
markevans
Youngbird
Youngbird
markevans

Input needed. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Input needed.   Input needed. EmptyTue Oct 24, 2017 7:41 pm

Hi hal as ken said roundabout you can cut the total number of birds down and still have a good team with the hens but when I fly mine on roundabout I use two sections one with boxes and one with perches cocks go out their section and hens go out their section both morning and night but separate on Friday open the middle door and let the hens in as with widow hood on a Saturday all trap back to cocks section Saturday evening separate them again start all over again
Back to top Go down
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

Input needed. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Input needed.   Input needed. EmptyTue Oct 24, 2017 11:51 pm

Thanks folks. Appreciate it. Lots to think about!
Back to top Go down
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

Input needed. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Input needed.   Input needed. EmptyWed Oct 25, 2017 4:04 pm

Pretty much decided. 18 pairs to the nest in one loft. Older birds, may be hard for them to adapt. Mark's method for the 14 pair young birds. Yearlings next year of course. Have 2 section 8 x 8, adjoining. Half these young were not raced last year. Moulting. But trained to 40 miles. Frost tonight, chance of snow.
Back to top Go down
Lofty
Youngbird
Youngbird

Input needed. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Input needed.   Input needed. EmptyWed Oct 25, 2017 4:31 pm

Frost, snow, it's 18c over here Hal, getting cooler the weekend , down to 14c Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Input needed. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Input needed.   Input needed. Empty

Back to top Go down

Input needed.
Page 1 of 1