Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» Weather today
Hens make the loft? - Page 2 Emptyby barnie Yesterday at 7:58 pm

» new hen for speed
Hens make the loft? - Page 2 Emptyby George & Morgan Yesterday at 6:51 pm

» Good Morning
Hens make the loft? - Page 2 Emptyby George & Morgan Yesterday at 10:21 am

» sorting birds out
Hens make the loft? - Page 2 Emptyby David Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:33 am

» new rules from Defra
Hens make the loft? - Page 2 Emptyby David Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:30 pm

» RPRA Auction ........
Hens make the loft? - Page 2 Emptyby David Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:40 pm

» overnight and multiple nights basket
Hens make the loft? - Page 2 Emptyby Knackered Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:21 pm

» Loft Location
Hens make the loft? - Page 2 Emptyby David Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:43 pm

» RPRA , WHAT DO THEY DO ?
Hens make the loft? - Page 2 Emptyby David Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:43 am

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) Hens make the loft? - Page 2 20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 121 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 121 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.Hens make the loft? - Page 2 Resise10
Top posting users this week
George & Morgan
Hens make the loft? - Page 2 Vote_lcapHens make the loft? - Page 2 Voting_barHens make the loft? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 
David
Hens make the loft? - Page 2 Vote_lcapHens make the loft? - Page 2 Voting_barHens make the loft? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 
oldstrain
barnie
Knackered
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1293 registered users
The newest registered user is Meddy78

Our users have posted a total of 221961 messages in 13973 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
Hens make the loft? - Page 2 Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
Hens make the loft? - Page 2 Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

Hens make the loft?

Go down 
+2
David
halcanada
6 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

Hens make the loft? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hens make the loft?   Hens make the loft? - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 11, 2017 12:23 am

Phil. Do not get stressed out! Re-locating and all that goes with it tends to make people grumpy. Personally I do not care if you have a Masters in the study of genetics, inheritance traits whatever. I doubt if many on the Forum care also. If you have studied all the aspects of pigeon racing, breeding feeding whatever and applying that knowledge to gaining success , as you apparently did in France, then the members here (me anyway) would like to know how you did it. In simple terms. No one is shooting you down. Why would they? Your input is greatly appreciated. Many on here have had finches, other livestock. They have looked at genetics closely. Many, as I, understand the basic principles. The nuances are different. Interpretation is different. This is a Forum were most if not all members want to know the best way to have success. But there are so many variations it is almost impossible to have a winning system, breeding or racing, that suits all.
Genetics. My son will be visiting this weekend. He manages a herd of over 2000 sows. Plus the offspring etc,. All computerized feeding etc,.etc,. The company uses an African bloodline that doubles the litter size. 10 to 20 2.5 times a year. However, they are constantly improving the genetics. Less mortality, faster growth etc, etc,. They sell the young females and boars world wide. Premium price. So, last thing I will avoid asking my son is “how are the genetics working out?” He would be here a week explaining!!
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

PostSubject: Re: Hens make the loft?   Hens make the loft? - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 11, 2017 2:35 am

blueskylofts wrote:
Right - let us get things right from the start - In pigeons, they don’t have an XY or XX chromosome sex determination system like humans.

They have a ZW system.  The hen carries the Z and the W and the cock only carries the ZZ.

So therefore, it is a biological FACT that the female pigeon is the one that governs the sex of the bird.  

But, that does NOT mean that the hen has anything to do with the ability or otherwise of the bird to race well.

Furthermore - the female pigeon (the mother) does not have anything to do with how good or bad a racing pigeon is at racing or breeding.

I have LOTS more information on what really makes a good racer or breeder, but it's a bit complicated.

Phil
Interesting info Phil etc Smile Smile But as much as we appreciate all your input here, please don't take umbrage when some like myself find it heavy going trying to understand it all as such. For me Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes I'm a KISS type of guy bounce bounce. & XY XX ZW or ZZ I will just leave to those fortunate enough to understand it all. Final note  Smile  Smile I just wonder what Darwin is thinking  Wink  Wink. cheers
Back to top Go down
blueskylofts
Youngbird
Youngbird
blueskylofts

PostSubject: Re: Hens make the loft?   Hens make the loft? - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 11, 2017 7:50 am

halcanada wrote:
Phil. Do not get stressed out! Re-locating and all that goes with it tends to make people grumpy. Personally I do not care if you have a Masters in the study of genetics, inheritance traits whatever. I doubt if many on the Forum care also. If you have studied all the aspects of pigeon racing, breeding feeding whatever and applying that knowledge to gaining success , as you apparently did in France, then the members here (me anyway) would like to know how you did it. In simple terms. No one is shooting you down. Why would they? Your input is greatly appreciated. Many on here have had finches, other livestock. They have looked at genetics closely. Many, as I, understand the basic principles. The nuances are different. Interpretation is different. This is a Forum were most if not all members want to know the best way to have success. But there are so many variations it is almost impossible to have a winning system, breeding or racing, that suits all.
Genetics. My son will be visiting this weekend. He manages a herd of over 2000 sows. Plus the offspring etc,.  All computerized feeding etc,.etc,. The company uses an African bloodline that doubles the litter size. 10 to 20 2.5 times a year. However, they are constantly improving the genetics. Less mortality, faster growth etc, etc,. They sell the young females and boars world wide. Premium price. So, last thing I will avoid asking my son is “how are the genetics working out?” He would be here a week explaining!!

Can I just remind you and any others interested in the genetics of racing pigeons - that the genetics of BIRDS and other animals are COMPLETELY different!

Pigs, cows and humans 'may' share some similarities - but the chromosomes and genetics of racing PIGEONS and most birds are not the same.

The problem is 'It is NOT simple' - it is very complicated at times.  It would take me many hours to try and explain it in monosyllabic terms and even then, may not succeed.

The I get members saying STOP Phil, I can't take it any more (or words to that effect)

By the way Darren - my rant had nothing to do with what YOU said.  It was mainly a comment
from someone else.

I think out of all the members we have , only about 3 or 4 are really interested in some of the deeper points I try to make.  So let us leave it at that.

Those that want to learn a bit more can read my stuff, those who don't want to know - DON'T read it at all. But don't put stuff like:-

Please Phil Stop, no more I'm utterley confused with what you have already written etc above. cheers.

All the best for your pigeon future.

Phil
Back to top Go down
http://www.philongold.net
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: Hens make the loft?   Hens make the loft? - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 11, 2017 10:11 am

phil, I don't think the member who said "Please Phil Stop, no more I'm utterley confused with what you have already written etc above. cheers." was being offensive to you, or making a snipe at you....in fact I`d go so far as I`m pretty certain he wasn't.

Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

PostSubject: Re: Hens make the loft?   Hens make the loft? - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 12, 2017 8:58 am

David wrote:
phil, I don't think the member who said "Please Phil Stop, no more I'm utterley confused with what you have already written etc above. cheers." was being offensive to you, or making a snipe at you....in fact I`d go so far as I`m pretty certain  he wasn't.

Smile Smile I suspect your right David Wink Wink In fact Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes I would bet my house on it etc.
Back to top Go down
blueskylofts
Youngbird
Youngbird
blueskylofts

PostSubject: Re: Hens make the loft?   Hens make the loft? - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 12, 2017 9:11 am

Knackered wrote:
David wrote:
phil, I don't think the member who said "Please Phil Stop, no more I'm utterley confused with what you have already written etc above. cheers." was being offensive to you, or making a snipe at you....in fact I`d go so far as I`m pretty certain  he wasn't.

Smile Smile I suspect your right David Wink Wink In fact Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes I would bet my house on it etc.

Well you should know Knackered!

Phil
Back to top Go down
http://www.philongold.net
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

PostSubject: Re: Hens make the loft?   Hens make the loft? - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 12, 2017 9:42 am

blueskylofts wrote:
Knackered wrote:
David wrote:

Well you should know Knackered!

Phil
True Phil Smile Smile be assured thou Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes I do have a dark side  lol! lol! lol! but I keep it fortunately under lock & key here etc.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hens make the loft?   Hens make the loft? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Hens make the loft?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2