Forum for Pigeon Fanciers
 
HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  UK Pigeon SalesUK Pigeon Sales  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» Canadian Food for some.
by markevans Today at 7:50 pm

» Weather today
by markevans Today at 7:47 pm

» 2018 Shows....
by David Today at 2:11 pm

» Missed shot.
by halcanada Today at 11:50 am

» pigeon chat
by Daz Today at 11:45 am

» Welcome, welcome !!!.
by Daz Today at 11:34 am

» Weed wackers.
by Daz Yesterday at 1:19 pm

» Credit where Due !!!.
by Daz Yesterday at 1:16 pm

» Soy coming off.
by Knackered Yesterday at 12:19 am

Forum Syndicate
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
Who is online?
In total there are 28 users online :: 5 Registered, 0 Hidden and 23 Guests :: 2 Bots

Briant, David, Daz, johnnorm2, MISTY

Most users ever online was 144 on Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:37 am
Bucktons 2017 Calendar
Pigeon World Forum, Fancier of the Year Trophy.
Top posting users this week
David
 
Knackered
 
Daz
 
fieldwalker
 
MISTY
 
halcanada
 
markevans
 
redrog
 
Lofty
 
oldstrain
 
Similar topics
    Statistics
    We have 1150 registered users
    The newest registered user is Jamesb

    Our users have posted a total of 171363 messages in 11298 subjects
    Log in
    Username:
    Password:
    Log in automatically: 
    :: I forgot my password
    Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
    From Fed Topper to Master Chef
    The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
    John Gibbs young pied/grizzle winner.
    Top posters
    David
     
    Don Webb
     
    oldstrain
     
    IANYOUNG
     
    peel bros
     
    Knackered
     
    Gaz b
     
    birdy2011
     
    Rene A
     
    Alex
     

    Share | 
     

     When You Pairing Up .

    Go down 
    Go to page : 1, 2  Next
    AuthorMessage
    David
    Oldbird
    Oldbird
    avatar

    Posts : 32623
    Join date : 2009-03-18
    Location : Leeds

    PostSubject: When You Pairing Up .   Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:52 pm

    when are members planning on pairing up, I normally pair 1st Saturday in feb, but if my loft is up or nearly up which I intend racing ybs to I`m thinking of pairing mid January......
    Back to top Go down
    View user profile Online
    Romedius
    Hatchling
    Hatchling
    avatar

    Posts : 358
    Join date : 2017-12-17
    Location : Montana, USA

    PostSubject: Re: When You Pairing Up .   Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:05 pm

    I'm so green, I haven't decided. I can't find a mentor that will take the time to give us some advice over here. I suppose I better wait until mid febuary. I really need to get three rounds out. Our first YB race is in September.
    Back to top Go down
    View user profile
    David
    Oldbird
    Oldbird
    avatar

    Posts : 32623
    Join date : 2009-03-18
    Location : Leeds

    PostSubject: Re: When You Pairing Up .   Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:10 pm

    when are your 2018 rings available rom, and when does your old bird / young bird racing season start...?

    if you could tell us maybe the members could advise.
    Back to top Go down
    View user profile Online
    Romedius
    Hatchling
    Hatchling
    avatar

    Posts : 358
    Join date : 2017-12-17
    Location : Montana, USA

    PostSubject: Re: When You Pairing Up .   Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:16 pm

    We have our first meeting in Bozeman on January 4th. I can buy rings then. I will look on the clubs website for first race date now.
    Back to top Go down
    View user profile
    Romedius
    Hatchling
    Hatchling
    avatar

    Posts : 358
    Join date : 2017-12-17
    Location : Montana, USA

    PostSubject: Re: When You Pairing Up .   Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:30 pm

    http://www.montanaloft.com/index.php/young-birds-results/young-birds-2016/

    This is all I could find on their website. They haven't decided on a schedule yet, but it will be close to these start dates. I will mention the dates when I get a definitive. I live in a bowl, ringed in high white capped mountains. I wad told last February that getting birds to cross over them will be a challenge. No rivers or valleys to follow.
    Back to top Go down
    View user profile
    David
    Oldbird
    Oldbird
    avatar

    Posts : 32623
    Join date : 2009-03-18
    Location : Leeds

    PostSubject: Re: When You Pairing Up .   Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:33 pm

    yes, racing certainly sounds challenging rom, altho` it does sound a great place to be........ Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
    Back to top Go down
    View user profile Online
    Romedius
    Hatchling
    Hatchling
    avatar

    Posts : 358
    Join date : 2017-12-17
    Location : Montana, USA

    PostSubject: Re: When You Pairing Up .   Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:41 pm

    Yes sir, quite a challenge. Beautiful place to live, but plenty of challenges. The zero crime rate is nice though. Kids may toilet paper your house from time to time is about the biggest worry.
    Back to top Go down
    View user profile
    markevans
    Youngbird
    Youngbird
    avatar

    Posts : 2390
    Join date : 2015-01-25
    Age : 52
    Location : Wolverhampton

    PostSubject: Re: When You Pairing Up .   Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:04 pm

    May be the closest Saturday to Valentines day or try and be parting them off two weeks before the clocks go forward
    Back to top Go down
    View user profile
    Romedius
    Hatchling
    Hatchling
    avatar

    Posts : 358
    Join date : 2017-12-17
    Location : Montana, USA

    PostSubject: Re: When You Pairing Up .   Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:16 pm

    Mark, do most of you racers in England pair up close to the same time? I found Jenner,s film on loft design interesting as can be. The pigeon show in Blackpool looks like a great time! I don't deal with crowds like I use to, but Blackpool would be first on my bucket list.
    Does timing near time change make loft management easier?
    Back to top Go down
    View user profile
    markevans
    Youngbird
    Youngbird
    avatar

    Posts : 2390
    Join date : 2015-01-25
    Age : 52
    Location : Wolverhampton

    PostSubject: Re: When You Pairing Up .   Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:28 pm

    We'll ROM the trend is to pair early now as some will have young birds in the nest now and rings on them whereas a few years ago it would be mid January as most won't the young on the darkness system and the old birds away from the youngsters as early as possible so it dose seem to be getting earlier for breeding as for me I don't get home from work until 17.30 ish and at this time of the year its dark so can't have the young out so I like to have them around March time so when the clocks go on a hour I can have them out when I get home maybe only 30 minutes at first but it all helps
    Back to top Go down
    View user profile
    Romedius
    Hatchling
    Hatchling
    avatar

    Posts : 358
    Join date : 2017-12-17
    Location : Montana, USA

    PostSubject: Re: When You Pairing Up .   Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:35 pm

    That makes sense to me. I work similar hours, and loft flying morning and evening was great in the summer. I've been stressed on trap training in the spring. Looks like I'm going to have to get my timing right. Thanks for the advice, gives me something to work with
    Back to top Go down
    View user profile
    redrog
    Youngbird
    Youngbird


    Posts : 1350
    Join date : 2012-12-02
    Age : 62
    Location : rhos, wrexham

    PostSubject: Re: When You Pairing Up .   Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:07 pm

    paired race team Friday, and the stock have started pairing today, like the Alamo down in race loft but stock lot quieter so far
    Back to top Go down
    View user profile
    friendsloft
    Youngbird
    Youngbird
    avatar

    Posts : 1931
    Join date : 2009-03-17
    Age : 60
    Location : Warrington

    PostSubject: Re: When You Pairing Up .   Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:24 pm

    I paired up Xmas day the racers the stock birds were paired a week earlier
    Ken
    Back to top Go down
    View user profile http://www.freewebs.com/friendsloft/index.htm
    halcanada
    Youngbird
    Youngbird
    avatar

    Posts : 3300
    Join date : 2014-03-11
    Age : 78
    Location : Southern Ontario. Canada.

    PostSubject: Re: When You Pairing Up .   Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:09 am

    Rom it all depends on what your plans are. Obviously you want to win. With what? Young birds this year or yearlings or old birds following years? If young birds this year pair anytime now. They should be good for 1st young bird races and second round also. Your weather is much colder than here. But as long as you can stop the water freezing when they are feeding young not a problem. UK different climate altogether same as where Knackered is. I ghave some pairs hatching next 3 days. Minus 20 celsius. Not as many as usual. Stock birds only. Some stock just laying now. Deserted 1st eggs for some reason. No matter.  Do not worry about getting them air borne early. I quit worrying about that some years ago. As long as they have an aviary or cage over the landing board they will be fine. They will observe the hawks etc, and the routine as such. They will be much more wary than young let out for the first time and are not strong enough on the wing to avoid predators. These early ones should be. When you want them in call them for feed. From the landing board. Repetition pays dividends. They will adapt to any system if you start them right. Whistle, dog bark whatever. Mine come back from a race they just trap. They know there is a reward. You may lose some early ones.  Strong on the wing and all. Had one stay out 2 weeks early in the year. Second for me 1st young bird race. However, some are just stupid anyway. As for location, no straight fly in, do not be too concerned. Smart pigeons, old or young will usually find the fastest way home. Of course they will make mistakes. Good ones learn from them. Who wants dummies anyway? All the birds hit a sidewind or such you are on equal footing. Slow tough race the same. Not all birds are equal. Sort the wheat from the chaff. 3rd round pigeons would take it easy on them though. Just get them on the road enough so they get experience.
    PS. Racers. will let them pair up as I see the schedule. No young from them Chaos system.
    Back to top Go down
    View user profile
    Romedius
    Hatchling
    Hatchling
    avatar

    Posts : 358
    Join date : 2017-12-17
    Location : Montana, USA

    PostSubject: Re: When You Pairing Up .   Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:01 am

    halcanada wrote:
    Rom it all depends on what your plans are. Obviously you want to win. With what? Young birds this year or yearlings or old birds following years? If young birds this year pair anytime now. They should be good for 1st young bird races and second round also. Your weather is much colder than here. But as long as you can stop the water freezing when they are feeding young not a problem. UK different climate altogether same as where Knackered is. I ghave some pairs hatching next 3 days. Minus 20 celsius. Not as many as usual. Stock birds only. Some stock just laying now. Deserted 1st eggs for some reason. No matter.  Do not worry about getting them air borne early. I quit worrying about that some years ago. As long as they have an aviary or cage over the landing board they will be fine. They will observe the hawks etc, and the routine as such. They will be much more wary than young let out for the first time and are not strong enough on the wing to avoid predators. These early ones should be. When you want them in call them for feed. From the landing board. Repetition pays dividends. They will adapt to any system if you start them right. Whistle, dog bark whatever. Mine come back from a race they just trap. They know there is a reward. You may lose some early ones.  Strong on the wing and all. Had one stay out 2 weeks early in the year. Second for me 1st young bird race. However, some are just stupid anyway. As for location, no straight fly in, do not be too concerned. Smart pigeons, old or young will usually find the fastest way home. Of course they will make mistakes. Good ones learn from them. Who wants dummies anyway? All the birds hit a sidewind or such you are on equal footing. Slow tough race the same. Not all birds are equal. Sort the wheat from the chaff. 3rd round pigeons would take it easy on them though. Just get them on the road enough so they get experience.
    PS. Racers. will let them pair up as I see the schedule. No young from them Chaos system.

    Thanks Hal. I want to race some old birds this spring, and a much larger young bird team in the. I feel confident in the squeakers I purchased last april. My biggest concern would be to lose the stock I have now, hopefully fall will leave me with 20 pair. I was given the 20 racers with the unspoken understanding that I would build a proper loft and get them to the races this year. I would never been able to afford them otherwise. I'm taking notes. I thank you for taking the time.
    Back to top Go down
    View user profile
    Knackered
    Oldbird
    Oldbird
    avatar

    Posts : 7890
    Join date : 2013-03-11

    PostSubject: Re: When You Pairing Up .   Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:10 am

    Romedius wrote:
    I'm so green, I haven't decided.  I can't find a mentor that will take the time to give us some advice over here.  I suppose I better wait until mid febuary.  I really need to get three rounds out.  Our first YB race is in September.  
    Just ask a local Smile Smile like Jenner, Rom Wink Wink  or could even ring your club secretary/president to get some idea there. Being a novice & if they are on the smart/fair side etc they should help you I would hope. Now, horses for courses Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes & in many ways your flying blind as we say here, but a 6 month old baby if everything falls into place bounce bounce even with all your mountains there, should be OK from my perspective if you learn to read the local weather paterns on race day as such.  cheers
    Back to top Go down
    View user profile
    fieldwalker
    Youngbird
    Youngbird
    avatar

    Posts : 1446
    Join date : 2011-10-01
    Age : 58
    Location : BOLDON COLLIERY TYNE&WEAR

    PostSubject: Re: When You Pairing Up .   Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:16 am

    halcanada wrote:
    Rom it all depends on what your plans are. Obviously you want to win. With what? Young birds this year or yearlings or old birds following years? If young birds this year pair anytime now. They should be good for 1st young bird races and second round also. Your weather is much colder than here. But as long as you can stop the water freezing when they are feeding young not a problem. UK different climate altogether same as where Knackered is. I ghave some pairs hatching next 3 days. Minus 20 celsius. Not as many as usual. Stock birds only. Some stock just laying now. Deserted 1st eggs for some reason. No matter.  Do not worry about getting them air borne early. I quit worrying about that some years ago. As long as they have an aviary or cage over the landing board they will be fine. They will observe the hawks etc, and the routine as such. They will be much more wary than young let out for the first time and are not strong enough on the wing to avoid predators. These early ones should be. When you want them in call them for feed. From the landing board. Repetition pays dividends. They will adapt to any system if you start them right. Whistle, dog bark whatever. Mine come back from a race they just trap. They know there is a reward. You may lose some early ones.  Strong on the wing and all. Had one stay out 2 weeks early in the year. Second for me 1st young bird race. However, some are just stupid anyway. As for location, no straight fly in, do not be too concerned. Smart pigeons, old or young will usually find the fastest way home. Of course they will make mistakes. Good ones learn from them. Who wants dummies anyway? All the birds hit a sidewind or such you are on equal footing. Slow tough race the same. Not all birds are equal. Sort the wheat from the chaff. 3rd round pigeons would take it easy on them though. Just get them on the road enough so they get experience.
    PS. Racers. will let them pair up as I see the schedule. No young from them Chaos system.

    Good advice for you there Rom, Hal understands your situation better than us uk based lofts good luck Smile
    Back to top Go down
    View user profile
    Knackered
    Oldbird
    Oldbird
    avatar

    Posts : 7890
    Join date : 2013-03-11

    PostSubject: Re: When You Pairing Up .   Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:39 am

    Romedius wrote:
    That makes sense to me.   I work similar hours, and loft flying morning and evening was great in the summer.  I've been stressed on trap training in the spring.  Looks like I'm going to have to get my timing right.  Thanks for the advice,  gives me something to work with
    Rom Smile Smile many people could tell/teach you how to get your birds trapping quick etc, its easy. Pay to remember thou in your situation "Being a mountain man" hungry pigeons just will not cut the mustard I would suggest & neither will fat ones Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes. So just try to find a happy balance with everything you do with your birds there. cheers
    Back to top Go down
    View user profile
    oldstrain
    Oldbird
    Oldbird
    avatar

    Posts : 11716
    Join date : 2011-01-03

    PostSubject: Re: When You Pairing Up .   Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:01 am

    vaccinated 3 weeks ago now and just cankering them now their on there last day of treatment then a cocci tablet and worming tablet each then between 10th and 14th they will be paired as I like a week of probiotics and vitamins after this
    Back to top Go down
    View user profile
    fieldwalker
    Youngbird
    Youngbird
    avatar

    Posts : 1446
    Join date : 2011-10-01
    Age : 58
    Location : BOLDON COLLIERY TYNE&WEAR

    PostSubject: Re: When You Pairing Up .   Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:03 am

    Im getting very close to pairing now stock of clean straw ready...nest bowls all spotless [ since september]
    breading mix and mineral mix in all tratments finished on probiotics all pairings [stock] studied for the umpteenth time study study study
    dont really know whats holding me back...oh aye a nice sunny day and there offfffff bounce bounce
    Back to top Go down
    View user profile
    oldstrain
    Oldbird
    Oldbird
    avatar

    Posts : 11716
    Join date : 2011-01-03

    PostSubject: Re: When You Pairing Up .   Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:19 am

    markevans wrote:
    We'll ROM the trend is to pair early now as some will have young birds in the nest now and rings on them whereas a few years ago it would be mid January as most won't the young on the darkness system and the old birds away from the youngsters as early as possible so it dose seem to be getting earlier for breeding as for me I don't get home from work until 17.30 ish and at this time of the year its dark so can't have the young out so I like to have them around March time so when the clocks go on a hour I can have them out when I get home maybe only 30 minutes at first but it all helps

    seems to be that way eh mark but what a rush after the moult unless guys are treating during it atb
    Back to top Go down
    View user profile
    Romedius
    Hatchling
    Hatchling
    avatar

    Posts : 358
    Join date : 2017-12-17
    Location : Montana, USA

    PostSubject: Re: When You Pairing Up .   Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:34 pm

    Knackered wrote:
    Romedius wrote:
    I'm so green, I haven't decided.  I can't find a mentor that will take the time to give us some advice over here.  I suppose I better wait until mid febuary.  I really need to get three rounds out.  Our first YB race is in September.  
    Just ask a local Smile Smile like Jenner, Rom Wink Wink  or could even ring your club secretary/president to get some idea there. Being a novice & if they are on the smart/fair side etc they should help you I would hope. Now, horses for courses Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes & in many ways your flying blind as we say here, but a 6 month old baby if everything falls into place bounce bounce even with all your mountains there, should be OK from my perspective if you learn to read the local weather paterns on race day as such.  cheers

    I do call them knackered. Everybody is so busy that a fella gets the impression of " just figure it out". Now I did get a chance to talk to our club president on Christmas eve. He will talk with me on the sixth, which is why I'm taking notes. I understand the mentality though, I'm not a kid so there is no pressure to "help the next generation out". I'll get it eventually. Just enjoying the ride.
    Back to top Go down
    View user profile
    halcanada
    Youngbird
    Youngbird
    avatar

    Posts : 3300
    Join date : 2014-03-11
    Age : 78
    Location : Southern Ontario. Canada.

    PostSubject: Re: When You Pairing Up .   Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:14 am

    Be prepared for lots of conflicting advice. Some folks are nice to your face and encourage you. Then give faulty advice so you do not win. You may have many friends now in the club. But if it follows the normal way of things, the more you win the less friends you will have. You have to go your own way, usually by trial and error. There is no one winning system. Whatever works stick with it. Not working abandon it. Good birds and good natural health. Usually hard to beat.
    Back to top Go down
    View user profile
    Romedius
    Hatchling
    Hatchling
    avatar

    Posts : 358
    Join date : 2017-12-17
    Location : Montana, USA

    PostSubject: Re: When You Pairing Up .   Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:36 am

    Funny, but I've taken notice of the petulant attitudes. I just want to enjoy myself, maybe pass something fun to the children. I've got over 600 blue bird nest boxes around here. I inquired on a club for blue bird trail operators after a couple years. Guess what? They got mad Very Happy I had more boxes up than the whole lot of them. I appreciate the candid advice Hal. I believe you.

    Back to top Go down
    View user profile
    halcanada
    Youngbird
    Youngbird
    avatar

    Posts : 3300
    Join date : 2014-03-11
    Age : 78
    Location : Southern Ontario. Canada.

    PostSubject: Re: When You Pairing Up .   Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:41 am

    Rom. This fellow can explain it better. Well worth the watch time.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byieQ_suLp0&feature=share
    Back to top Go down
    View user profile
    Sponsored content




    PostSubject: Re: When You Pairing Up .   

    Back to top Go down
     
    When You Pairing Up .
    Back to top 
    Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next
     Similar topics
    -
    » Red Factors?

    Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
    Racing Pigeons,Show & Fancy Pigeons :: Message Forum :: General Discussions-
    Jump to: