Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  UK Pigeon SalesUK Pigeon Sales  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» RAPTORS ARE LOVEABLE
by MISTY Today at 8:22 pm

» YB Dead....
by MISTY Today at 8:04 pm

» YB Season....
by MISTY Today at 7:27 pm

» mnfc one loft 2018
by oldstrain Today at 2:11 pm

» Weather today
by oldstrain Today at 1:48 pm

» Welcome Daz....
by oldstrain Today at 1:46 pm

» Any Race Results This Weekend .
by oldstrain Today at 1:46 pm

» Burgalary Service Available....
by Knackered Today at 11:21 am

» good luck lads
by oldstrain Yesterday at 6:02 pm

Forum Syndicate
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
Who is online?
In total there are 25 users online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 24 Guests :: 2 Bots

David

Most users ever online was 144 on Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:37 am
Bucktons 2017 Calendar
Pigeon World Forum, Fancier of the Year Trophy.
Top posting users this week
David

oldstrain

Knackered

MISTY

peel bros

redrog

Boosey

halcanada

denise washington

barnie

Statistics
We have 1138 registered users
The newest registered user is Daz

Our users have posted a total of 168288 messages in 11143 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
John Gibbs young pied/grizzle winner.
Top posters
David

Don Webb

IANYOUNG

oldstrain

peel bros

Knackered

Gaz b

birdy2011

Rene A

Alex

Share | 

Darkness anyone

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
redrog
Youngbird
Youngbird

PostSubject: Re: Darkness anyone   Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:42 am

never had y/b sickness, darkness first time last year, cant compete unless you on it so no brainer for us
Back to top Go down
View user profile
chuda
Chipping
Chipping

PostSubject: Re: Darkness anyone   Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:09 pm

David wrote:
chuda wrote:
Mine were on the darkness and I missed the first three races, as I work and couldn't them trained and I still won all four races that I sent to. 1st race I was 1,2 3, the got ybs so missed the next two races and won the next three races.

so how far did you jump them into the 4th race ...?

The fourth race they came back to Newark, I got yb sickness the missed two races and jump them into Reed 138 miles .
Back to top Go down
View user profile
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: Darkness anyone   Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:25 pm

so long as the birds get 13 hours darkness that's all they need then do it at a time that best suits you ybs take about 9 weeks to body moult ours go on the dark end of march and take them off early June, gradually over 1 week exposing them to more light
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: Darkness anyone   Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:41 am

Romedius wrote:
halcanada wrote:
Knackered. Never thought to look at the site Rom flies in. You sure you do not work, or did work for MI5 or similar? Devious! Smart also. You must have a dossier on all on here. Umm. find anything incriminating? Grounds for divorce etc? Share!! LOL!
Shoot!  No one has that much paper!
True Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes But I have a Big, Big head etc Rom Smile Smile that has a dosier on every one here lol! lol! lol! especially the Bristol pirate clan  Smile  Smile & that FW as such Wink Wink.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
peel bros
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: Darkness anyone   Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:37 am

We are going on the dark and get problems every year with ybs..but we just deal with it now..part of pigeon racing now I,m afraid
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lofty
Youngbird
Youngbird

PostSubject: Re: Darkness anyone   Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:44 am

It's weird that some get the yb sickness badly, and others seem to never get it, ourselves , so far only the odd couple of birds, others in the club always get it and have to miss races
Back to top Go down
View user profile
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: Darkness anyone   Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:06 am

the thing with young bird sickness is that any ailment in the ybs gets bracketed under "young bird sickness" according to dutch and Belgian avian vets theirs no such thing theirs always an answer either adeno coli syndrome ,candida ,salmonella etc....its the fanciers that call it young bird sickness because they don't know what they have ,I think a lot of its down to treating the old birds with a antibiotic prior to pairing (parastop etc...)and not treating for candida afterwards or for not long enough as it cant be good treating just before pairing with a antibiotic ,it must upset the birds natural bacterias on the eve of pairing ,ok they have some time before the ybs hatch out but is their a fungal issue lurking in the parents that gets passed on when they feed the crop milk Suspect
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: Darkness anyone   Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:59 pm

oldstrain wrote:
the thing with young bird sickness is that any ailment in the ybs gets bracketed under "young bird sickness" according to dutch and Belgian avian vets theirs no such thing theirs always an answer either adeno coli syndrome ,candida ,salmonella etc....its the fanciers that call it young bird sickness because they don't know what they have ,I think a lot of its down to treating the old birds  with a antibiotic prior to pairing (parastop etc...)and not treating for candida afterwards or for not long enough as it cant be good treating just before pairing with a antibiotic ,it must upset the birds natural bacterias on the eve of pairing ,ok they have some time before the ybs hatch out but is their a fungal issue lurking in the parents that gets passed on when they feed the crop milk Suspect

Interesting Daz

Daz the only reason fanciers call it YBS is because it happens with the youngsters

If it happened with the old birds it would OBS
Back to top Go down
View user profile
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird

PostSubject: Re: Darkness anyone   Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:28 am

Don. Daz. Agree. So the question or answer is ? How to prevent it? Medicines? OB's do not get it why? Has to be basic immunity. Seems the logical answer to me. How to achieve that? Obviously exposure to underlying causes. Deep litter, sanitised loft? No easy answer. A sparkling clean sterile loft will still have enough bugs/bacteria in it to give some degree of immunity. So? Better pigeons? Never ending quest.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: Darkness anyone   Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:48 am

hal ...I always use a deep litter for the ybs low exposure to ailments,i do treat ybs for canker, cocci ,worms also old birds ,wormer is used here more than anything else at least 4 times a year,answer ...keep on top all year round with pre and probiotics and if theirs no problem don't treat for one ...worms open the door for damaging bacteria especially salmonella have had birds come here looking like their on deaths door and a worming has put them right ,new arrivals different story should treat for sake of the rest but try and get yer new stock well before breeding not weeks before when all the sales are on ,can you imagine the birds make up after getting antibiotic for at least 7 days then treatment for candida(nystatin) then cankered then a cocci treatment and then wormed ,the bird will be far from ready for breeding imo and all this treating in a matter of weeks through December as a rule else they would still be in the moult ,how on earth can guys have eggs and babies in the nest at xmas time .obviously the birds have not had time to recover from all those treatments so what are they passing on to their young in the way of immunity Suspect and of course theirs the vaccination here to that needs to be done at least 4 weeks prior to pairing and not during the moult
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fieldwalker
Youngbird
Youngbird

PostSubject: Re: Darkness anyone   Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:55 am

Only came across it in the 90s with darkening..
Only get it now with darkening..
Is the imunity system not up and running when they have to grow a new suit...
Bone structure changes too..
So there flat as a witches boob and the least thing is magnified...
Morning sickness for pigeons...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lofty
Youngbird
Youngbird

PostSubject: Re: Darkness anyone   Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:58 pm

I think darkness is now here to stay, if fanciers want to race the full yb programme it seems to be the only way to go, if the next bloke is doing it then so have you sort of attitude, I'm not the sort of guy that treats birds with whatever meds are going, just the usual, canker, cocci,worms and if they have yb sickness then use something, never have and probably never will use antibiotics on them, so it will be a natural build up of their immune systems and in a couple of years we hope to have birds that are tough enough to shake an illness off on their own
Back to top Go down
View user profile
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: Darkness anyone   Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:09 pm

fair shout roy my sentiments exactly
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lofty
Youngbird
Youngbird

PostSubject: Re: Darkness anyone   Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:50 pm

Common sense I think daz, from what I've read and heard in the time I've got the birds back,it seems to be the norm now to throw every sort of med going at them " just in case" , can't be doing them any good in the long run, my darkness birds were fine last year apart from them couple and they weren't that bad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Darkness anyone   

Back to top Go down

Darkness anyone
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Racing Pigeons,Show & Fancy Pigeons :: Message Forum :: General Discussions-
Jump to: