Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  UK Pigeon SalesUK Pigeon Sales  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» Weather today
by oldstrain Today at 7:20 am

» y/b darkness
by oldstrain Today at 7:10 am

» Couldn't be true !!!.
by Knackered Today at 5:36 am

» Over breeding.
by Knackered Today at 5:13 am

» Grandparents
by FlyAwayHome Today at 3:40 am

» How far ahead?
by halcanada Today at 2:06 am

» Still Free!
by halcanada Yesterday at 11:21 pm

» Training starts tomorrow.
by halcanada Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» The Raptor Alliance
by MISTY Yesterday at 10:15 pm

Forum Syndicate
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
Who is online?
In total there are 35 users online :: 5 Registered, 0 Hidden and 30 Guests :: 2 Bots

barnie, Briant, caramel, David, MISTY

Most users ever online was 144 on Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:37 am
Bucktons 2017 Calendar
Pigeon World Forum, Fancier of the Year Trophy.
Top posting users this week
David

Knackered

peel bros

oldstrain

redrog

halcanada

MISTY

friendsloft

barnie

FlyAwayHome

Statistics
We have 1130 registered users
The newest registered user is zimmerman43

Our users have posted a total of 166458 messages in 11015 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
John Gibbs young pied/grizzle winner.
Top posters
David

Don Webb

IANYOUNG

oldstrain

peel bros

Knackered

Gaz b

birdy2011

Rene A

Alex

Share | 

Kept them in.

Go down 
AuthorMessage
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird

PostSubject: Kept them in.   Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:27 pm

Very strong winds for first time out young.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Boosey
Youngbird
Youngbird

PostSubject: Re: Kept them in.   Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:02 pm

Looking good Hal
Back to top Go down
View user profile
David
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: Kept them in.   Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:13 pm

yes, looking very nice and healthy hal, they look to be moulting well......hardly recognisable from when you put them on a couple of weeks ago.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
fieldwalker
Youngbird
Youngbird

PostSubject: Re: Kept them in.   Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:03 pm

Me too,owing to tap exploding...got soaked plugging the pipe...need someone who knows
what there doing... jocolor
Back to top Go down
View user profile
markevans
Youngbird
Youngbird

PostSubject: Re: Kept them in.   Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:53 pm

Coming on nicely them youngsters hal be a bit flighty when they go out
Back to top Go down
View user profile
David
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: Kept them in.   Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:04 pm

they do look nice ybs don't they mark, are they moulting naturally hal, no darkening or anything...?
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird

PostSubject: Re: Kept them in.   Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:39 am

Mark you are right. They will be flighty. Why I sat with them and floor fed. Above freezing today so could spend a little time with them. Snow tomorrow so will probably floor feed less. I want them eating out of my hand or close to it.
Dave. Natural light. Have a glass door so they see the sun come up. Middle of June put the lights on.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MISTY
Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Re: Kept them in.   Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:21 pm

Never kept the pigeons in, would have done if the wild ones had stayed in the trees.

If you perpetually keep open loft the pigeons will know when and what, fanciers thinking they know better than nature is the downfall of many.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird

PostSubject: Re: Kept them in.   Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:08 am

Misty. I have been to your town. Here the climate is very different. You advocate same temp in the loft as outside. If that was done in this part of Canada birds would freeze to death. Or close to it. Never keep them in? Why risk losing birds in a howling gale or blinding snowstorm? The feral pigeons in the sheds here are not stupid enough to fly in that weather. Friend on the East Coast, Nova Scotia, had young hatch same time as me. His early ones are flying an hour. But again, his winters are much warmer. When he lived in this area they would probably be still inside this time of year. What applies to one location does not apply to another. Summertime is different. Basically open loft every year.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fieldwalker
Youngbird
Youngbird

PostSubject: Re: Kept them in.   Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:35 am

Youngbirds going OUT today shit or bust....
what comes back il keep Razz only 11 of them,my own not over yet but wont be long before
there in the weaning pen for a few days to learn to eat n drink Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: Kept them in.   Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:42 am

fieldwalker wrote:
Me too,owing to tap exploding...got soaked plugging the pipe...need someone who knows
I'm an old plumber FW Smile Smile work cheap lol! lol! lol! if you supply transport etc bounce bounce. Must warn you thou Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad I'm in recovery mod here at the moment & you may just have to wait as such Rolling EyesRolling Eyes as I'm now known as the flying knackeroo bounce bounce Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad as  once again, I fell out of a tree here unfortunately "Big time" doing some pruning etc I'm affraid. cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MISTY
Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Re: Kept them in.   Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:45 am

Of course it depends greatly on where you live with regards to the weather etc;
however, your wild birds have to contend with the temperatures involved, I now have show rabbits in the pigeon loft and my wife feeds the doves and wood pigeons in another part, the temperatures of late froze all the drinkers and my fingers were frozen solid when attending to the rabbits.

If I had still had my pigeons they would still have had the option to go out if they wished, they know better than me.

I have experienced many different types of weather in many parts of the world during my service in the army and being a lover of all wild animals noted that they
all know how to deal better than us with all the weather situations and other conditions.

How do the wild pigeons cope in your area?.

I envy your fishing options but you can keep your weather.

Regards.

Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
fieldwalker
Youngbird
Youngbird

PostSubject: Re: Kept them in.   Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:26 pm

Knackered wrote:
fieldwalker wrote:
I'm an old plumber FW Smile Smile work cheap lol! lol! lol! if you supply transport etc bounce bounce. Must warn you thou Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad I'm in recovery mod here at the moment & you may just have to wait as such Rolling EyesRolling Eyes as I'm now known as the flying knackeroo bounce bounce Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad as  once again, I fell out of a tree here unfortunately "Big time" doing some pruning etc I'm affraid. cheers

OOOPS hope your ok knackeroo Sad im just filling watering cans at the mo...untill i find a recruit
or look on youtube...maybe not.... scratch
Back to top Go down
View user profile
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird

PostSubject: Re: Kept them in.   Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:02 am

Misty. Wild pigeons here have it tough. Many days without food as everything is snow covered. No wood pigeons here. Lots of doves. Even in the worst weather they will seldom come down to the bird feeder. Feed always available there. Local population of wild pigeons on this farm are about 4 pair. Next farm and around used to get them flocking together. Beginning of Winter about 40 plus. Perhaps 20 left now. But the few pair here are mating in the shed rafters. Cooper hawk goes up in to the rafters to try and catch them. Never does to my knowledge. Cooper also goes under the pick up truck to catch sparrows that hide there when he is around.
That is why if on occasion a young from the feral pigeons gets in to the loft with the young birds I leave as is. I have no concerns he will pass on any bug. Or virus.
Enhances the immune system. Actually trained one with my young last year. It got lost. So no meds used.
Army? Was born in Salisbury Wiltshire. Father was army. Moved to Hartlepool at two. Father did Burma etc,. Benghazi i was there on the ships. Met a few squaddies. Cyprus also. All complained it was so friggin boring.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MISTY
Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Re: Kept them in.   Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:30 am

halcanada,

You have my deepest respect having served on the sea, my only trip by sea was to Korea and Japan, where I only spent a short time in Korea but over two years in Japan, Christmas day 1952 Bay of Biscay, hurricane, still attempting to clean my trousers.

Prior to that spent time in Germany transporting red star stores around all the different locations.

Went to Aden. Singapore, Ceylon, Egypt, etc; not all fun and joy but an experience.

Regards/
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
MISTY
Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Re: Kept them in.   Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:33 am

Could not agree more about townies in the loft and the immune system my thoughts entirely.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: Kept them in.   Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:42 am

MISTY wrote:
halcanada,

You have my deepest respect having served on the sea, my only trip by sea was to Korea and Japan, where I only spent a  short time in Korea but over two years in Japan, Christmas day 1952 Bay of Biscay, hurricane, still attempting to clean my trousers.

Prior to that spent time  in Germany transporting red star stores around all the different locations.

Went to Aden. Singapore, Ceylon, Egypt, etc;  not all fun and joy but an experience.  

Regards/
I suggest Misty Smile Smile you actually have pin-pointed one of the reasons these days unfortunately the younger generation have little interest in pigeons etc. They much prefer to travel the world type of thing before settling down, which is all good Wink Wink but it catches up with them down the road on average when they start looking around to buy a house & have kids & then settle down from my perspective. cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kept them in.   

Back to top Go down

Kept them in.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Racing Pigeons,Show & Fancy Pigeons :: General Pigeon News :: Weather-
Jump to: