Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  UK Pigeon SalesUK Pigeon Sales  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» Write to the council
by redrog Today at 12:42 pm

» Weather today
by redrog Today at 12:37 pm

» This morning on loft.
by Knackered Today at 7:11 am

» Praise for a change. OFF TOPIC
by Knackered Today at 6:47 am

» Mnfc olr 2018
by MISTY Yesterday at 9:50 pm

» Club meeting today
by peel bros Yesterday at 5:00 pm

» Hen show coming?
by Boosey Yesterday at 7:55 am

» Another off topic...
by MISTY Yesterday at 6:10 am

» Different methods.
by Knackered Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:57 pm

Forum Syndicate
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
Who is online?
In total there are 23 users online :: 2 Registered, 0 Hidden and 21 Guests :: 2 Bots

David, redrog

Most users ever online was 144 on Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:37 am
Bucktons 2017 Calendar
Pigeon World Forum, Fancier of the Year Trophy.
Top posting users this week
MISTY

Knackered

halcanada

Daz

peel bros

David

fieldwalker

redrog

Boosey

oldstrain

Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1155 registered users
The newest registered user is whiteashbob

Our users have posted a total of 172744 messages in 11377 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
John Gibbs young pied/grizzle winner.
Top posters
David

Don Webb

oldstrain

IANYOUNG

peel bros

Knackered

Gaz b

birdy2011

Rene A

halcanada

Share | 

Nearly that time again

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: Nearly that time again    Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:43 am

blueskylofts wrote:
We are hoping to have at least 80 or 90 young birds to race this year.

I bought 100 rings from the RPRA, 60 National Flying Club rings and 20 BICC rings so we have plenty of rings.

We will only be racing young birds this year as we have no old race birds, so I can concentrate fully on young bird racing.

I trust our breeding is going well now.

Phil
100 rings Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Smile Smile wouldn't have paid a visit to South Shields etc of late would we Phil lol! lol! lol!. cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird

PostSubject: Re: Nearly that time again    Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:44 am

Knackered. Enjoyment factor. Each to their own idea of it. Every loves to win. Winning a race is enjoyable experience. However, if you have won many and from all distances competed in, then the enjoyment factor can turn to other aspects of the sport. Breeding young birds for one loft races. Giving freinds young birds that beat your own. For me? Many enjoyable aspects. Seeing a bird on a realy tough day home in good time. Odds against it. For most now a days, winning is the ultimate. Especially Europe. So they can sell and profit from their birds. Recover the money that it took to get them their. I do not blame them. "It is not wether you win or lose. It is how you play the game"! Bull shit for most fliers.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: Nearly that time again    Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:01 am

halcanada wrote:
Knackered. Enjoyment factor. Each to their own idea of it. Every loves to win. Winning a race is enjoyable experience. However, if you have won many and from all distances competed in, then the enjoyment factor can turn to other aspects of the sport. Breeding young birds for one loft races. Giving freinds young birds that beat your own. For me? Many enjoyable aspects. Seeing a bird on a realy tough day home in good time. Odds against it. For most now a days, winning is the ultimate. Especially Europe. So they can sell and profit from their birds. Recover the money that it took to get them their. I do not blame them. "It is not wether you win or lose. It is how you play the game"! Bull shit for most fliers.
Maybe so Hal Wink Wink your last quote etc. The likes of you & I thou now I suggest have been around far to long fortunately & now appraise things in a some what different way to when we had youth on our side. Win, win may be the fashion Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes but reality tells one Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad most of us are a bunch of losers lol! lol! lol! in this caper if one is truthful Smile Smile on average & are quite happy to be that way for the enjoyment factor ???? we get by being that way with our feathered friends. That's it Wink Wink I hear the lunch bell ringing. cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fieldwalker
Youngbird
Youngbird

PostSubject: Re: Nearly that time again    Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:06 am

Some people forget why they started keeping Pigeons.
The love of keeping,breeding and looking after them,watching them fly,cocks clapping and sailing
in the air.
Its later once you start to race that things start to change,the must win attitude, been there done that.
Now for me its going to be ''slowly..slowly...catchy monkey (sorry Hal Wink concentrate on 600m plus
where the breeding is more important than what colour water you have each week.
Well thats the plan for me and the ''ULTRAS'' what could possibly go wrong.......... affraid
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: Nearly that time again    Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:49 am

fieldwalker wrote:
Some people forget why they started keeping Pigeons.
The love of keeping,breeding and looking after them,watching them fly,cocks clapping and sailing
in the air.
Its later once you start to race that things start to change,the must win attitude, been there done that.
Now for me its going to be ''slowly..slowly...catchy monkey (sorry Hal Wink concentrate on 600m plus
where the breeding is more important than what colour water you have each week.
Well thats the plan for me and the ''ULTRAS'' what could possibly go wrong.......... affraid
Not much I suggest FW Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes if you think smart & think on the positive side etc Smile Smile. 6, 100 mile races per bird etc  = 1 600 mile bird as such bounce bounce so easy, easy to build up a new dynasty I would imagine. cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blueskylofts
Youngbird
Youngbird

PostSubject: Re: Nearly that time again    Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:48 am

friendsloft wrote:
the last youngster jut dropped in from this morning bop strikes
Ken

What a terrible thing to happen to birds so young.

Phil
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.philongold.net
MISTY
Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Re: Nearly that time again    Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:57 pm

I would not have known what to do with 100 young birds.

I wanted to know each pigeon individually and be able to see individual progress etc;

If the sport is approached in the right manner every day is a different source of enjoyment relative to different matters and if winning is the only criteria by which you enter the sport ?????.

When I set off over 75 years ago my aim was to win from every race point in the clubs in which I was a member, the approach I used was. I will give you as good a life as possible and trust you to repay me likewise.

I flew my pigeons both North and South and won from every race point with both young and old birds in the programme on both routes with the exception of the young bird Dunbar race, some many times over, but when in the second last year I flew I did win the Dunbar young bird race and that was after 75 years it just put the icing on the cake.

But the best feelings I ever got was from helping fanciers to achieve their aims by giving free youngsters that did the job for them.

It takes all sorts and I am afraid many fanciers miss the most enjoyable parts of the sport.

Regards.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://albertrosbottom35@outlook.com
David
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: Nearly that time again    Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:32 pm

I planned on a team of around 30 ybs to race this year, then it went down to 24 - 26, now im thinking even smaller.....even if I end up keeping 20 ybs to race, that's enough for me really, managing them correctly is the important thing for me, and not trying to do too much......I think that having a smallish team will benefit the team and me , life will be easier study
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird

PostSubject: Re: Nearly that time again    Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:39 pm

FW. To win a 600 mile race is the best feeling one can get. 500 also. All else seems to fade in to the background. To place high in a 500 or 600 milers is just as enjoyable. Then you know you have the birds that can compete. Just a question usually of fine tuning.
Dave you are right. The smaller the team the more individual attention they get. I love guys who did send a 100 ybs and beat them. However, the most young ones anyone can fly in this Fed this year is sixty. I disagree with that rule. Fancier flying a 100 pays for them. Entitled to fly them. Assume the Fed had complaints about mob flying. So the competition will be better. Less numbers more will be culled. Best kept.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fieldwalker
Youngbird
Youngbird

PostSubject: Re: Nearly that time again    Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:20 am

Im not new to 5/600 mile iv won in the past only 2 in race time (both yearlings) only 3 in race time club and fed all hens..
Just not consistant enough..but..now im going all out will take 3 year then maybe join other clubs organizations to fly 700 plus..The Ultras...
affraid affraid affraid
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: Nearly that time again    Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:18 am

fieldwalker wrote:
Im not new to 5/600 mile iv won in the past only 2 in race time (both yearlings) only 3 in race time club and fed all hens..
Just not consistant enough..but..now im going all out will take 3 year then maybe join other clubs organizations to fly 700 plus..The Ultras...
affraid affraid affraid
I wish you well with your upcoming challenge FW Smile Smile. Hope you have a good alarm clock there Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes as I suggest it may just come in handy as such Wink Wink. cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
markevans
Youngbird
Youngbird

PostSubject: Re: Nearly that time again    Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:02 am

Still remember the first time I timed from sainted 480mls to me sent one bird got second the fancier that won sent 12 and also when I timed on the winning day from Tarbes 649mls with the NFC only sent the one again not the same bird this time
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blueskylofts
Youngbird
Youngbird

PostSubject: Re: Nearly that time again    Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:37 pm

There has been lots of speculation about WHY people keep racing pigeons. I keep them because I want to win, purely and simply.

Having said that, we give them the very best we can afford and the very best from the knowledge we know now.

They are not pets, they are working animals, like a gun dog or a sheep dog or a race horse. If they can't do what they are asked to do then they are no good to me. But I guess the secret is knowing how much of a chance to give each individual bird to see if it has got what you are looking for in it.

I have certainly made mistakes in the past getting rid of birds too soon, but I have also made mistakes by keeping birds too long in the hope that they will do something, or produce something, just because I like them.

But each to their own!

Phil
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Re: Nearly that time again    Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:07 pm

I got just as much enjoyment seeing the last bird back from a 60 mile race as a 500 mile race, the hardest race on our North road is as hard to fly as any South road point and I lost the number of day birds I had some flying it many times.

I never went further than 550 miles on the day on the South road and only a couple of times, racing mainly North.

I set off latterly with the intention of having a go in the MNFC and joined it.

Club racing was getting too much for me, the Filey club offered to let me fly with them and nothing was too much in the way of help I could have done absolutely nothing, one young member, could not do enough by way of help and all the other members were the same, wish all the clubs were the same.

However the club was 18 miles away and it became too much for me so I had to call it a day after sending the 16 yearlings that had never seen a basket to the first two races, 8 to the first, 65 miles, and the other 8 to the second race 90 miles all back in good race time, these were what I would have been using in the MNFC, being Jan Arden based, I never sent again until the water race 350 miles, I sent four, timed two, got another later in the day and lost one, the two I timed are still in the clock which has not been opened.

For every event in our sport that proved a success there will be a direct contradiction just as successful if there was a certain method that beats all others there would be no sport.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
fieldwalker
Youngbird
Youngbird

PostSubject: Re: Nearly that time again    Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:14 pm

Don't need an alarm to get up im an early riser and the longest race for me at the minute is 572m...I don't go home despite only a 100yards away.
ETS and books to read study
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MISTY
Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Re: Nearly that time again    Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:22 pm

I always waited for the last as well as the first bird back, and if an old favourite was missing and turned up late I was their to see to it's needs and as happy with it's performance even if I had clocked the winner.

I NEVER USED OR ABUSED MY PIGEONS, WE WORKED TOGETHER.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird

PostSubject: Re: Nearly that time again    Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:35 pm

Phil. I suspect the majority of people are like you and want to win. Always looking for the best. Feed, birds or whatever. That is why big money is spent on the above. Many spend money to make money. You buy the right pigeons success comes much faster.
Misty. You have a passion for pigeons I do not have. I hate to cull birds! But do it every year anyway. As previously stated, drastic this year. I assume you do not race anymore, so posting stuff you experienced years go. I find your posts quite informative. But bear in mind what worked then with your methods just may not work in the present day racing scene..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MISTY
Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Re: Nearly that time again    Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:57 am

I raced till comparatively recently regarding having been involved for over 75 years and the love of home and the means of supplying a pigeon with the fuel needed to carry out the tasks asked of it never changes.

I would expect to win more now than I did before if I was to start again and have pigeons performing for longer, far healthier and by far happier than all the present day methods.

It is a come today gone tomorrow system practised today and the problems this has caused is self evident.

If you think there are not very successful fanciers today using similar methods to those I adopted you would be wrong.

The commercial boys have taken over and the gullible have been taken for a ride.

Winning is nice but it is how you win that matters to me.

I have played snooker for three hours a week with one friend for over 15 years and if either of us has a fluke, we play a safe shot, if he makes a good shot I am as pleased as if I had done so and that is how I approach any sport I am involved in including racing pigeons, bowls, fishing etc;

Regards.

Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: Nearly that time again    Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:55 pm

MISTY wrote:
I raced till comparatively recently regarding having been involved for over 75 years and the love of home and the means of supplying a pigeon with the fuel needed to carry out the tasks asked of it never changes.

I would expect to win more now than I did before if I was to start again and have pigeons performing for longer, far healthier and by far happier than all the present day methods.

It is a come today gone tomorrow system practised today and the problems this has caused is self evident.

If you think there are not very successful fanciers today using similar methods to those I adopted you would be wrong.

The commercial boys have taken over and the gullible have been taken for a ride.

Winning is nice but it is how you win that matters to me.

I have played snooker for three hours a week with one friend for over 15 years and if either of us has a fluke, we play a safe shot, if he makes a good shot I am as pleased as if I had done so and that is how I approach any sport I am involved in including racing pigeons, bowls, fishing etc;

Regards.

I cringe sadly with despair at times here Misty I'm affraid unfortunately Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes when I see what the spin doctor/experts types ?????? are attempting to turn our sport into of recent times. In basic terms I suggest  bounce  bounce we had a love affair between man & pigeon etc to hold the sport together in all its different fashions. These days sadly, from my perspective spin & bling is king for many sadly that don't quite understand the damage that is being done to what was once a great, great sport/hobby for so many as such. Rant over lol! lol! lol! Breakfast time here Wink Wink & that's far, far more important Smile Smile  than talking absolute waffle here, to a bunch of pigeon tragic types I suggest Wink Wink  lol! lol! lol!. cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird

PostSubject: Re: Nearly that time again    Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:26 pm

Question of how much dedication one wants to put in to the game for the results desired. Switched eggs again today. Dead ones replaced good ones. One excellent flier I put in the stock loft has hatched nothing in3 sets. Maybe the hen? No matter he will be back in the racing loft tomorrow. Dumping eggs in a few days on half of the racers. Then a week later other half. They can sit till they desert them Should set them up for first race May 5th. 10 day eggs for half, hatching for other half. Then manipulate as needed. Always interesting. But I do know one thing. At the end of the season the majority will be eliminated. Losses or cull them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fieldwalker
Youngbird
Youngbird

PostSubject: Re: Nearly that time again    Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:02 am

Its easy breeding champions,everyones got a loft full untill the racing starts lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blueskylofts
Youngbird
Youngbird

PostSubject: Re: Nearly that time again    Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:37 am

Hal, you talked about Dedication to our pigeons.

I don't think anyone could be more dedicated to their birds than I am. I eat, live, sleep and breathe pigeons and pigeon racing.

However, I think without the competition part of our sport, I would not bother at all. I love competition and always have done.

As a young lad, I raced for Yorkshire on push bikes, road racing mainly, but some cyclo-cross in the winter. Between the ages of 22 and 28 I did Motorcycle Road Racing and have even raced at the famous Isle of Man twice.

Then, later on in life, I got back into cycle racing and ended up cycling for my county. After my Liver transplant and other illnesses, I came back to pigeon racing as I was not fit enough to compete at the other sports I had had a go at earlier in life - and I LOVE it.

Just being with the birds makes me much calmer (most of the time). I love to see the way they develop from little babies to thoroughbred racing birds.

And yes, I give the last bird home from a race, exactly the same attention as my first bird. I am there until it is time to go to the club to do the results, or it is dark. But I am up early the next morning waiting for any that have gotten lost on their way home. It gives me just the same type of thrill to see a latecomer standing on the landing board. As long as they come home in reasonable time, I am OK with that.

But for me the ultimate thrill is winning and if possible by quite a long time.

One of the last races Hil and I had before we went to frogland, was the end of season Young Bird Championship from Picauville France. In the Fed, there were only three birds timed in race time and we had TWO of them. That was a day to remember!

Have a good one today.

Phil

Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: Nearly that time again    Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:37 pm

might let my ybs out tomorrow, my whistle came yesterday so whistle training has started........ Razz Razz cheers flower
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
blueskylofts
Youngbird
Youngbird

PostSubject: Re: Nearly that time again    Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:57 am

Good luck with the new whistle David.

I trust you started using it at meal times as soon as you got it.

Phil
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: Nearly that time again    Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:33 am

yes I started straight away phil, but I think its going to be a long job......... Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Nearly that time again    

Back to top Go down

Nearly that time again
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next