Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» Weather today
FUTURE OR NOT Emptyby barnie Yesterday at 7:58 pm

» new hen for speed
FUTURE OR NOT Emptyby George & Morgan Yesterday at 6:51 pm

» Good Morning
FUTURE OR NOT Emptyby George & Morgan Yesterday at 10:21 am

» sorting birds out
FUTURE OR NOT Emptyby David Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:33 am

» new rules from Defra
FUTURE OR NOT Emptyby David Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:30 pm

» RPRA Auction ........
FUTURE OR NOT Emptyby David Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:40 pm

» overnight and multiple nights basket
FUTURE OR NOT Emptyby Knackered Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:21 pm

» Loft Location
FUTURE OR NOT Emptyby David Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:43 pm

» RPRA , WHAT DO THEY DO ?
FUTURE OR NOT Emptyby David Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:43 am

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) FUTURE OR NOT 20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 117 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 117 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.FUTURE OR NOT Resise10
Top posting users this week
George & Morgan
FUTURE OR NOT Vote_lcapFUTURE OR NOT Voting_barFUTURE OR NOT Vote_rcap 
David
oldstrain
barnie
Knackered
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1293 registered users
The newest registered user is Meddy78

Our users have posted a total of 221961 messages in 13973 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
FUTURE OR NOT Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
FUTURE OR NOT Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

FUTURE OR NOT

Go down 
+5
Boosey
Knackered
oldstrain
barnie
MISTY
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

FUTURE OR NOT Empty
PostSubject: FUTURE OR NOT   FUTURE OR NOT EmptySun Mar 18, 2018 1:51 pm

Another winter nearly over and the start of a new season..

It is all well and good discussing general mattes and even having a laugh but another year has gone and none of the sports problems have been addressed'

The raptors numbers may have been reduced due to the weather, but so will their prey, making our pigeons even more vulnerable.

The Raptor Alliance was a no goer from the start, we were told November 2014 would solve the problem as to our standing, we are still waiting.

We should have established, as I said to the then General Manager, our present rights in the court.

Losses, increasing year on year, nothing of any consequence tried to identify why.

Losses of membership, some, mainly, unavoidable, but more will do so if matters are not improved.

The threat of bird flue is ever present and can stifle the sport at any time without warning, yet there is no proof that our pigeons can or have had anything to do with the matter.

Some fanciers still have problems with YBS, I do not pretend to know what it is but I do know I never had the problem and it will prove to be as a result of how fanciers treat their birds.

So perhaps the site could consider possible means of addressing our problems as well as going over matters that have been discussed a thousand times over.

Regards.

Back to top Go down
http://albertrosbottom35@outlook.com
barnie
Youngbird
Youngbird
barnie

FUTURE OR NOT Empty
PostSubject: Re: FUTURE OR NOT   FUTURE OR NOT EmptySun Mar 18, 2018 2:08 pm

Just my opinion, rightly or wrongly, but I think the vast majority of fanciers just adapt around the problems and keep going. Breed more yb's solves most the issues you highlight. But thats a short term solution in reality. Apathy rules, plenty ideas floated but nobody has time or interest to get organized and make something happen. Leave it to someone else but one day there's nobody else?
Die hards in pigeons keep it going, bit like following a poor football team, as long as it ticks over it will stay afloat.
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

FUTURE OR NOT Empty
PostSubject: Re: FUTURE OR NOT   FUTURE OR NOT EmptySun Mar 18, 2018 2:29 pm

their are many ways to skin the cat do it and say nothing don't even discuss it...as regards the sport in general I have come up with many new ideas and the older members of the organisation are not interested and even show their distain and ignorance ...personally I think its to late as theirs not enough new fanciers coming through ,lets face it theirs not many sports/hobbies like pigeon racing ,I mean lets take fishing,you go fishing come home put yer kit away finished til next time ,snooker ...put yer que away done...pigeons is 365 days no let up at all and I love it...but it just don't fit in with modern lifestyles I am afraid
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

FUTURE OR NOT Empty
PostSubject: Re: FUTURE OR NOT   FUTURE OR NOT EmptyMon Mar 19, 2018 8:53 am

oldstrain wrote:
their are many ways to skin the cat do it and say nothing don't even discuss it...as regards the sport in general I have come up with many new ideas and the older members of the organisation are not interested and even show their distain and ignorance ...personally I think its to late as theirs not enough new fanciers coming through ,lets face it theirs not many sports/hobbies like pigeon racing ,I mean lets take fishing,you go fishing come home put yer kit away finished til next time ,snooker ...put yer que away done...pigeons is 365 days no let up at all and I love it...but it just don't fit in with modern lifestyles I am afraid
Numerous reasons why the sport appears to be in decline O/S Smile Smile I suggest. True about the 365 thing Wink Wink thou. Scratch my head here when year in year out one reads about the YBS issue Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes you appear to have, it being a non issue in my area etc. Now Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes I've found Wink Wink pigeon flyers on average Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad are as thick as a brick as such  bounce  bounce when a solution to a certain problem/issue may be staring them in their face & they simply refuse to look at reality in a sensible type manner so to speak Smile Smile. cheers
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

FUTURE OR NOT Empty
PostSubject: Re: FUTURE OR NOT   FUTURE OR NOT EmptyMon Mar 19, 2018 1:10 pm

oldstrain,
Talked about the apathy withinn the sport for the past 50 years, nothing has changed, but why?.

Because those that do care have not got together and done something about it.

Too easy to just say others are not interested.

Those opposed to change are determined to safeguard their priviliged podsitions until the very end, those who just want to enjoy the sport and not become involved are jusdt as bad.

If the losses and the present health problems persist along with a possible spell of bird flue then at the end of this season there will be a very real rethink if the sport is to survive.

Regards.

Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

FUTURE OR NOT Empty
PostSubject: Re: FUTURE OR NOT   FUTURE OR NOT EmptyMon Mar 19, 2018 3:00 pm

regards losses and health problems well I cant get my head around it ...keep it relatively simple and don't overcrowd and feed good corn and you cant go far wrong I always breed up to 30 ybs never more and always have over half after the yb programme ok not all world beaters but none the less they were not lost,you only get out what you put in plenty out their that are clueless and a lot of them are not novices either they had pigeons years ...its not hard to educate yourself these days ,the nature of pigeon racing makes it very difficult as its a one man show hobby/sport and to get members collectively to discuss matters is very difficult as even a club meeting will only see a 50% turn out ...if they don't care for the club what the point getting them to care for the bigger picture...I have a young family and a wife with a disability and various pets which take up most of my time I have a night off tonight and guess what I am doing ....learning how to set the t3s at the secretarys abode as no other club member was interested...on Friday i am going to my sons school to do a show and tell with squeakers and clock ...sorry it all sounds like doom but personally with my lifestyle theirs only so much I can do ...theirs plenty out their with a voice but no trousers atb pirat pirat
Back to top Go down
Boosey
Youngbird
Youngbird
Boosey

FUTURE OR NOT Empty
PostSubject: Re: FUTURE OR NOT   FUTURE OR NOT EmptyMon Mar 19, 2018 7:31 pm

Hats off to you Darren.
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

FUTURE OR NOT Empty
PostSubject: Re: FUTURE OR NOT   FUTURE OR NOT EmptyMon Mar 19, 2018 9:04 pm

what does this raptor alliance actually do, or what has it achieved in the time its been going......? as far as I know, absolutely nothing, I remember a few year ago when the rpra employed some sort of publicity woman, on a good wage she was too....but she didn't achieve anything.

does anyone actually think this campaign will result in protection for our pigeons, or is the rpra in bed with the rspb ...?
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

FUTURE OR NOT Empty
PostSubject: Re: FUTURE OR NOT   FUTURE OR NOT EmptyMon Mar 19, 2018 9:19 pm

The day this Raptor Alliance was publicised I wrote to the then General Manager and said it would be a complete waste of time and money, he replied through the BHW saying he took more notice of the solicitor than me.

Many times simce I have expressed concern at the waste of time and money when for a comparative small amount of money our rights could have been established in court and we would know from where to begin attempting to improve matters.

Anyone who thinks any MP is realy concerned about our sport at this time with the world in it's present state is round the bend, and if you look at the proposals relative to our sport there is nothing at all that will improve matters in that which is EVENTUALLY considered for change.

A COMPLETE WASTE OF TIME AND MONEY< WELL INTENDED BADLY THOUGHT OUT, whhich just about sums up the manner, less the well intended , that our sport has been conducted for the past 50 yearsor more.

Regards.

Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

FUTURE OR NOT Empty
PostSubject: Re: FUTURE OR NOT   FUTURE OR NOT EmptyMon Mar 19, 2018 9:30 pm

solicitors are not cheap, so they will spread anything out to make more wage for them selves.....they care nothing about pigeons being eaten alive, they care only to line their pockets.

mp`s don't care about the people oof this country, never mind pigeons......they need to remember, that we pay their wages, they work for US !!!
Back to top Go down
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

FUTURE OR NOT Empty
PostSubject: Re: FUTURE OR NOT   FUTURE OR NOT EmptyTue Mar 20, 2018 12:22 am

The future of the sport. Pigeon racing will endure. But not in its present form. North America anyway. The sports biggest problem is lack of new young fanciers. What do come in tend to get experience in a club then send to one loft races. There are a few exceptions of course but they go for the biggest rewards. Why not? Pub nights with coal miners, steelworkers etc, thing of the past. Bragging rights involve money won, not a club champion. OLR winners or money making birds can be sold. Clubs are getting phased out or amalgamating, as they should. Older folks do not want to drive an hour there and an hour back or more to ship birds every week.
DDT reduced the raptor numbers drastically. They were population control. So many folks kept or had left more birds. Raptors came back and food is plentiful. No wonder they thrive! Not a popular thing to say, I know. But natural balance. In the raptors favor at the present time. A person raises 20 young. Raptors kill 4. Person raises 5 times that number and loses 20. Percentage wise, same thing obviously. I m very surprised that with all the hawk problems in the UK (here also) Number one the birds have not adapted to the threat and 2 in high raptor population areas people have not bred extras. Which of course in case two compounds the problem. Pigeons learn and adapt. Young birds are exceptionally high at risk. Aviary to see the raptors attacking other birds is imprinted on their brain. Whatever, each to their own. JMO.
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

FUTURE OR NOT Empty
PostSubject: Re: FUTURE OR NOT   FUTURE OR NOT EmptyTue Mar 20, 2018 10:43 am

Pigeon racing will go the same way as all the other old activities enjoyed by the young.

There are far too many less demanding and rewarding activities available, along with many more that are neither rewarding nor acceptable.

AS for money being any criteria to base anything on, there is an old saying about money and evil and it is as true today as when first mooted.

I always, as did one or two other, leave winnings in the club or donate to charity.

Success is attaining what one sets out to do.

For myself I wanted to win from every race point I entered, by fair means and giving the pigeons the best possible life at the same time and this I did.

Nation racing as is Federation racing laughable, there is no way on earth you can reasonably compare a pigeon flying 500 miles with one flying 250 miles etc

Club racing is the fairest, the closer the lofts are together the fairer the racing.

If anyone thinks all the best pigeons are sent to the Nationals they are in cloud cuckoo land, maybe the best of those sending but they are few and far between numerically and there will be far better birds whose owners realise that National Racing is farcical.

The criteria by which success can be determined is if you get out of an activity that which you set out to do and do it in a fair and proper manner.

Regards.

Club racing is the fairest possible the closer the lofts are together the fairer the racing.

Nationals, when you consider the facts are laughable, would you attempt to decide the winner of a 100 yards race with a mile race in athletyics based on a velocity?.

Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

FUTURE OR NOT Empty
PostSubject: Re: FUTURE OR NOT   FUTURE OR NOT EmptyTue Mar 20, 2018 8:54 pm

our club radius is 1 mile, so all members are relatively close to each other.....I can count 10 members all around me Razz Razz cheers study
Back to top Go down
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

FUTURE OR NOT Empty
PostSubject: Re: FUTURE OR NOT   FUTURE OR NOT EmptyWed Mar 21, 2018 1:06 am

Our club has no boundries. As they told me when I joined. If you are not scared of us we are not scared of you. I have 40 miles overfly. I do not win often as these folks are mostly sprint fliers. But I do win. 1 mile radius? May as well all fly to one loft. Other clubs around here also have no boundaries. Just not enough fliers to impose boundaries. Different fanciers win each week. Weather changes etc, returns change. It is more gratifying to me to win in the club or Fed when the competition is good and locations scattered than a club win in a tiny area were winning could be the tone of the whistle or rattle of the feed can. JMO
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

FUTURE OR NOT Empty
PostSubject: Re: FUTURE OR NOT   FUTURE OR NOT EmptyWed Mar 21, 2018 6:39 am

halcanada wrote:
Our club has no boundries. As they told me when I joined. If you are not scared of us we are not scared of you. I have 40 miles overfly. I do not win often as these folks are mostly sprint fliers. But I do win. 1 mile radius? May as well all fly to one loft. Other clubs around here also have no boundaries. Just not enough fliers to impose boundaries. Different fanciers win each week. Weather changes etc, returns change. It is more gratifying to me to win in the club or Fed when the competition is good and locations scattered than a club win in a tiny area were winning could be the tone of the whistle or rattle of the feed can. JMO
Boundries Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Set by simple people Wink Wink with simple minds Hal Smile Smile I would suggest at times, unfortunately. True story bounce bounce existing member moved 2/3 miles out side of the boundary at the time of the club he was in & then was knocked back when he applied to join again. Certain Vet thou Wink Wink "same club" moved 15 miles further out etc Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad & he then was happily accepted. So Wink Wink as I say. Simple people, with simple minds Smile Smile. cheers
Back to top Go down
fieldwalker
Youngbird
Youngbird
fieldwalker

FUTURE OR NOT Empty
PostSubject: Re: FUTURE OR NOT   FUTURE OR NOT EmptyWed Mar 21, 2018 7:02 am

You don't understand club racing here knackeroo, hal does/should where a half decent flyer with 1 mile
over fly on the rest of the members would/should dominate sprint results under 200 mile
with a tail wind.
study study study
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

FUTURE OR NOT Empty
PostSubject: Re: FUTURE OR NOT   FUTURE OR NOT EmptyWed Mar 21, 2018 9:28 am

fieldwalker wrote:
You don't understand club racing here knackeroo, hal does/should where a half decent flyer with 1 mile
over fly on the rest of the members would/should dominate sprint results under 200 mile
with a tail wind.
study study study
Understand to a certain degree FW Wink Wink. For many many years here we had a young bird season in March/April of each year etc. 200 odd flyers & 5/6000 birds competing up to 250 odd miles. All happy, happy "give & take thing" till the smart, smart  types extended the boundary's further down south by 10/20 & then 30 miles where many then shifted to race. Fed president at the time said you will kill young bird racing & he was correct with what he suggested unfortunately. No more young bird racing here now Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad long gone sadly Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes as the over fly trick killed it all off for the short type flyers, sadly. cheers
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

FUTURE OR NOT Empty
PostSubject: Re: FUTURE OR NOT   FUTURE OR NOT EmptyWed Mar 21, 2018 9:41 am

Just read in the Cage & Aviary that DEFRA are to introduce laws regarding the keeping and breeding of birds, the laws will be in the hands of the local councils who we all know like to have faceless little creatures going round full of themselves.

Apparently they will decide if anyone keeping birds are doing so for gain rather than pleasure.

As I think pigeons could realistically be called birds ?????

Regards.
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

FUTURE OR NOT Empty
PostSubject: Re: FUTURE OR NOT   FUTURE OR NOT EmptyWed Mar 21, 2018 10:02 am

MISTY wrote:
Just read in the Cage & Aviary that DEFRA are to introduce laws regarding the keeping and breeding of birds, the laws will be in the hands of the local councils who we all know like to have faceless little creatures going round full of themselves.

Apparently they will decide if anyone keeping birds are doing so for gain rather than pleasure.

Regards.
We have the do goodder brigade down here also Misty. Walk in & tell you how & what you can do etc Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes with their speel of authority. Now  bounce  bounce on a separate issue here Wink Wink a bunch of politicians have been caught out here spending tax payers money for their own gain as such Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad. There fine leader thou "Who knew nothing" said all is Ok thou Smile Smile we will just pay the money back as such & so nothing for any one to be really concerned about Smile Smile. cheers
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

FUTURE OR NOT Empty
PostSubject: Re: FUTURE OR NOT   FUTURE OR NOT EmptyWed Mar 21, 2018 10:15 am

There will be a few bank robbers hearing that in jail who will be mortified.

Our Council are of the opinion that the assets of the area are their own property and the tax payers just contribute to the upkeep.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

FUTURE OR NOT Empty
PostSubject: Re: FUTURE OR NOT   FUTURE OR NOT EmptyWed Mar 21, 2018 12:41 pm

MISTY wrote:

Regards.

Shocked Shocked Shocked wow could be trouble for some
Back to top Go down
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

FUTURE OR NOT Empty
PostSubject: Re: FUTURE OR NOT   FUTURE OR NOT EmptyWed Mar 21, 2018 12:51 pm

Th Fed is 175 miles long and 60 wide.
Back to top Go down
fieldwalker
Youngbird
Youngbird
fieldwalker

FUTURE OR NOT Empty
PostSubject: Re: FUTURE OR NOT   FUTURE OR NOT EmptyWed Mar 21, 2018 3:31 pm

Longer than more than half the unc inland races...
Back to top Go down
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

FUTURE OR NOT Empty
PostSubject: Re: FUTURE OR NOT   FUTURE OR NOT EmptyWed Mar 21, 2018 6:02 pm

Nearest Fed competitior (different club) is 20 miles shorter than me and 30 miles North. Always a good headwind. Extra 40 miles or so in to the wind from the club slows them a tad.
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

FUTURE OR NOT Empty
PostSubject: Re: FUTURE OR NOT   FUTURE OR NOT EmptyWed Mar 21, 2018 9:55 pm

It is obvious that as less fanciers are involved clubs to be viable in membership will be even more spread out with fanciers distances becoming even greater in club racing.

The problem is that the older fanciers will not be willing or even unable to travel long distances to have their birds marked, ways should be looked at for the able bodied to pick up the less abled, perhaps one or two from an area picking up all the birds locally and take it in turn to take the clocks in for checking etc;

All pictures relative to our sport in the publications show very clearly that the average age of fanciers is not one that gives great hope unless something is done to help them and also attract some young ones.

There are some grand youngsters in the sport but far more are needed.

Sitting back and enjoying the sport is all well and good but there has to be a sport to do so.

Regards.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

FUTURE OR NOT Empty
PostSubject: Re: FUTURE OR NOT   FUTURE OR NOT Empty

Back to top Go down

FUTURE OR NOT
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next