Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» Good Morning
FUTURE OR NOT - Page 2 Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 9:03 pm

» overnight and multiple nights basket
FUTURE OR NOT - Page 2 Emptyby Knackered Today at 8:37 pm

» Weather today
FUTURE OR NOT - Page 2 Emptyby David Yesterday at 10:59 pm

» RPRA Auction
FUTURE OR NOT - Page 2 Emptyby David Yesterday at 1:04 am

» First post on pigeon categories
FUTURE OR NOT - Page 2 Emptyby oldstrain Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:26 pm

» Catching a pigeon
FUTURE OR NOT - Page 2 Emptyby oldstrain Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:25 pm

» RPRA Latest .
FUTURE OR NOT - Page 2 Emptyby David Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:14 pm

» RPRA Levy ?
FUTURE OR NOT - Page 2 Emptyby David Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:43 pm

» RPRA , WHAT DO THEY DO ?
FUTURE OR NOT - Page 2 Emptyby David Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:35 pm

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) FUTURE OR NOT - Page 2 20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 55 users online :: 3 Registered, 0 Hidden and 52 Guests :: 2 Bots

George & Morgan, Knackered, tanveerhbaig

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.FUTURE OR NOT - Page 2 Resise10
Top posting users this week
Knackered
FUTURE OR NOT - Page 2 Vote_lcapFUTURE OR NOT - Page 2 Voting_barFUTURE OR NOT - Page 2 Vote_rcap 
tanveerhbaig
FUTURE OR NOT - Page 2 Vote_lcapFUTURE OR NOT - Page 2 Voting_barFUTURE OR NOT - Page 2 Vote_rcap 
David
George & Morgan
barnie
oldstrain
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1293 registered users
The newest registered user is Meddy78

Our users have posted a total of 221843 messages in 13968 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
FUTURE OR NOT - Page 2 Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
FUTURE OR NOT - Page 2 Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

FUTURE OR NOT

Go down 
+5
Boosey
Knackered
oldstrain
barnie
MISTY
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

FUTURE OR NOT - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: FUTURE OR NOT   FUTURE OR NOT - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 22, 2018 11:18 am

Misty. Replying to your comments. You are right. Older folk do not want to travel too often. I mentioned this last year at the beginning of the season when the club asked me why I did not clock off. When I could have placed in the top 10 many times. Told them, figured I did not have a winning time so why drive an hour there and then back an hour? So they got together without me knowing then asked me if I could read clock tapes. Said sure. So they told me this. Open your clock, read your times and email them to the club secratary. Next shipping night bring the tape to be verified. It stopped me from quitting!! The guy who runs the club is an old Belgian. 83 or more. He kicks it club will be dispersed I assume. Next club is another half hour drive further. E clock people. Super competitive. They would not allow it. So one of the reaons for heavy culling this year. May quit club racing next year. One lofters only. So trying them and keeping the best of the best. Very small percentage will be kept. I have heard of the new system wheras one uses an e clock and data is transmitted as the bird traps. No need to go clock off. Will have to look in to that but again, many clubs would be against it for many reasons. Some folks can manipulate the eclocks.
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

PostSubject: Re: FUTURE OR NOT   FUTURE OR NOT - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 22, 2018 1:46 pm

halcanada wrote:
Misty. Replying to your comments. You are right. Older folk do not want to travel too often. I mentioned this last year at the beginning of the season when the club asked me why I did not clock off. When I could have placed in the top 10 many times. Told them, figured I did not have a winning time so why drive an hour there and then back an hour? So they got together without me knowing then asked me if I could read clock tapes. Said sure. So they told me this. Open your  clock, read your times and email them to the club secratary. Next shipping night bring the tape to be verified. It stopped me from quitting!! The guy who runs the club is an old Belgian. 83 or more. He kicks it club will be dispersed I assume. Next club is another half hour drive further. E clock people. Super competitive. They would not allow it. So one of the reaons for heavy culling this year. May quit club racing next year. One lofters only. So trying them and keeping the best of the best. Very small percentage will be kept. I have heard of the new system wheras one uses an e clock and data is transmitted as the bird traps. No need to go clock off. Will have to look in to that but again, many clubs would be against it for many reasons. Some folks can manipulate the eclocks.
Last part took my interest above  Hal Smile Smile. The system we use here is called Benzing Live etc & it's actually a cracker of a system for those that use it here, on average. Same/similar would be worth some thought I suggest in your situation. Down side is some people abuse it here to the detriment of the sport as such from my perspective as the banter/waffle at clock off time is lost on race day & one can miss congratulating the winner on the day at the club if they are one of the ones using Benzing Life or similar. On the bonus side Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes one can watch/see how those on the system birds are homing on race day or even when training & Boy oh Boy lol! lol! lol! can that tell a story at times Smile Smile that some would much prefer not to be told as such Wink Wink. cheers
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: FUTURE OR NOT   FUTURE OR NOT - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 22, 2018 8:35 pm

Just read the account of One loft racing in America.

They say it is booming but after actually considering the facts it may not boad well for the sport as most fanciers know it.

Yes, the entries are getting larger but only because some fanciers are only keeping their pigeons to breed for One Loft races, and entering every one open to them, and not having to go through all that racing in clubs etc; involves

Cannot see what anyone can actually get from doing so, alright as a side participation but I would never have kept my pigeons for someone else top race.

Hope it never becomes the main participation in our country, as a bit of fun yes, as a sport?????.

Regards.

Back to top Go down
http://albertrosbottom35@outlook.com
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

PostSubject: Re: FUTURE OR NOT   FUTURE OR NOT - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 23, 2018 11:22 am

It will not bode well for the sport? You may be right. Or wrong. Birds have to be tested before breeding off. Club races are ideal for that. Unless a new comer buys expensive pigeons for stock then just sends the young ones to OLR,s. That way is more money than sense. Many countries are gaining fliers and clubs each year. Probably for the prelude to the money races. Days of going to the pub to meet friends and a coal miners daughter are basically gone. Cannot live in the past as to most they hate change. Miss the old days. Bragging rights etc,. When one wins. Usually he spends his winnings on buying a few rounds of beers. Past is past. One has to face todays scenario and adapt or perish. The newest technology, apart from the online clocking system, is the gps system placed on the birds ring to show his line of flight. We all know that younger folks play video games. What better way to encourage new fliers that through breeding etc to see the reults in virtually real time?
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

PostSubject: Re: FUTURE OR NOT   FUTURE OR NOT - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 23, 2018 7:26 pm

well regarding future of the sport and some earlier comments I made ....I learnt how to set the t3 last night and next lesson will be paperwork ,great little clock the t3 ,just off to the school now with a few squeakers to do a show and tell for alfies classroom ,apparently the kids have been nagging all week about it to their teacher Razz lol! I will get a few pics if I am permitted atb
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: FUTURE OR NOT   FUTURE OR NOT - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 23, 2018 8:04 pm

good luck Darren, I hope all goes well.........lets hope they all go home and tell their parents they want some pigeons eh affraid affraid lol!
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

PostSubject: Re: FUTURE OR NOT   FUTURE OR NOT - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 23, 2018 8:14 pm

oldstrain wrote:
well regarding future of the sport and some earlier comments I made ....I learnt how to set the t3 last night and next lesson will be paperwork ,great little clock the t3 ,just off to the school now with a few squeakers to do a show and tell for alfies classroom ,apparently the kids have been nagging all week about it to their teacher Razz lol! I will get a few pics if I am permitted atb
Don't let the little rabble types there get you down O/S Wink Wink I suggest  Smile  Smile when you are being teacher etc. If trouble arises thou & little Alfie has trouble controlling them all bounce bounce just threating them all with the plank scenario Wink Wink.   cheers & enjoy the experience Smile Smile.
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: FUTURE OR NOT   FUTURE OR NOT - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 23, 2018 8:45 pm

oldstrain,.

If more people took a direct interest in promoting the sport we may just have a chance of enticing enough youngsters into the sport to keep it viable.

If you just manage to get several youngsters involved long term and other fanciers do the same in other areas, bingo.

There has been a Future of the Sport committee for many years,?????.

The RPRA are to engage another person to save the sport ????'

In the BHW this week fanciers are asked to write to their MPs regarding our sport.

I have requested from several Genaral Managers just exactly what the aims and posssible benifits the Raptor Alliance can hope to acheive, no logical reply.

Our pigeons are protected by Law from theft etc;

The main problems fanciers face are, raptors, there is no chance whatsoever that the RSPB will allow the reduction in perigrines, or sparrowhawks, in fact they are putting more nesting sites in towns etc;

There is little or no chance that our pigeons will be declassified regarding bird flue etc; nor vacination, SO JUST WHAT IS THE POINT IN SPENDING ALL THIS TIME AND MONEY?.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

PostSubject: Re: FUTURE OR NOT   FUTURE OR NOT - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 23, 2018 9:54 pm

I agree misty the raptor alliance is a total waiste I spoke with them a few times it seemed to me a job with a salary of 30,000 and a office set up was money for old rope

THE SCHOOL VISIT ...wow Shocked what a response from the kids and teachers ,they were mesmerised by the pigeons and were listening intently and when question time came it was a full house lol! lol! lol! riots broke out when the kids were offered to touch the ybs ...the questions the children asked surprised me their so forward thinking and as a poser over the holidays I offered 2 prizes
(easter eggs)
for the best 2 pigeon pictures drawn or painted by alfies classmates ...all in all it was a humble experience ...I am going to put 2 ybs in the breeder buyer for alfies class so theirs some continued interest the first seed has been sewn but the breeder buyer may continue the interest I tried to get 2 ybs in the rpra one loft for the school but was to late so maybe next year ....pictures to follow pirat
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: FUTURE OR NOT   FUTURE OR NOT - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 24, 2018 12:04 am

oldstrain,

Just wish there were a few more like you then perhaps the sport would not be in it's present position.

In the early 1970s my late friend Steve Spinks, who wrote many articles regarding the necessity to entice the young into the sport and also suggeted sending videos to the schools promotimg the sport along with visits etc;

In fact he had just had a video made ,when he unfortunately died suddenly, and no one took his suggestions forward, because no one could be bothered.

I along with Steve and another friend wrote numerous times regarding the fact that several issues for the future of the sport should be addressed, raptors, the aging of the fanciers relative to new comers etc;

Had something been attempted then we would maybe now reaping the rewards.

But as then, I feel your attempts now will be met with the same contempt by the alright Jacks as our effoprts did then.

I have kept many of the articles we wrote along with replies from certain of the Alrights and you would be suprised who some of them are, they did not want change because things suited them as they were and in some it still does and they are amongst those who could make a difference.

Regards.

Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

PostSubject: Re: FUTURE OR NOT   FUTURE OR NOT - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 24, 2018 12:18 am

it does not surprise me at all misty when you look at pigeon racing and where the money is to be made the same names crop up and indeed its surprising who some of them are ,the places where money is to be made in pigeon racing is not hard to identify

pigeon sales
pigeon shows
supplements
advertising
feed
vets/medication

please feel free to add to the list
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: FUTURE OR NOT   FUTURE OR NOT - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 24, 2018 12:34 am

heres darrens pictures from the school this morning.......very nice they look too, the kids are certainly enjoying them selves..... cheers cheers

FUTURE OR NOT - Page 2 Darren17

FUTURE OR NOT - Page 2 Darren18

FUTURE OR NOT - Page 2 Darren16

FUTURE OR NOT - Page 2 Darren19
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: FUTURE OR NOT   FUTURE OR NOT - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 24, 2018 2:37 am

What a happy lot of future fanciers, the teachers not bad either.

Should distribute such photos etc; around other schools

That is the age impressions are made.

It would be a very welcome break from the youngsters normal activities.

Keep up the good work.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: FUTURE OR NOT   FUTURE OR NOT - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 24, 2018 2:54 am

Beats me why there are so many guests as opposed to members often on the site, surely they may have something by way of advice towards improving the sport to offer.

I am not a lover of a pm, they are often used in an attempt to discredit a person by dubious means and often in the hope that they are not exposed as undesirables by the person they attack.

Regards.

Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: FUTURE OR NOT   FUTURE OR NOT - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 24, 2018 3:17 am

yes misty, its always the case on forums, guests / visitors tend to prefer to just come on and read the topics/posts, rather than join and have any input......possibly a lot of them arnt even pigeon fanciers. Suspect Suspect
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

PostSubject: Re: FUTURE OR NOT   FUTURE OR NOT - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 24, 2018 3:30 am

that's our Alfie stood next to me in the 3rd picture ,he was in his element today pirat pirat
thanks for doing the pics david the 2 ybs we took to the class were bred off alfies hen she is a 2014 pigeon ,in that same picture alfie is speaking to the class about his hen and a great job he did to
Back to top Go down
fieldwalker
Youngbird
Youngbird
fieldwalker

PostSubject: Re: FUTURE OR NOT   FUTURE OR NOT - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 24, 2018 5:30 am

excellent Darren very well done Very Happy has Alfie invited all his classmate to the loft for the first race lol!
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

PostSubject: Re: FUTURE OR NOT   FUTURE OR NOT - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 24, 2018 10:16 am

fieldwalker wrote:
excellent Darren very well done Very Happy has Alfie invited all his classmate to the loft for the first race lol!
lol! lol! lol! I suggest that would be testing dads faith their FW Wink Wink Smile Smile. I noticed also Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes some one made the comment the teacher on the day was a good looking type of bloke as such bounce bounce I actually would have culled him rather quickly Smile Smile in the looks department etc lol! lol! lol! & the only saving grace was his little off sider there I suggest & I thank mum  Wink  Wink for her effort in that department, in producing a little beauty against all the odds Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Smile Smile. Now, waffle finished Wink Wink so I say also, congratulations Darren & little Alfie etc Smile Smile for all your effort on the day & I suggest the kids fortunate enough to be there would have spread the word over the dinner table at tea of their wonderful type experience Wink Wink. cheers
Back to top Go down
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

PostSubject: Re: FUTURE OR NOT   FUTURE OR NOT - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 24, 2018 10:54 am

Excellent! Well done!!
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

PostSubject: Re: FUTURE OR NOT   FUTURE OR NOT - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 24, 2018 10:54 am

MISTY wrote:
Beats me why there are so many guests as opposed to members often on the site, surely they may have something by way of advice towards improving the sport to offer.

I am not a lover of a pm, they are often used in an  attempt to discredit a person by dubious means and often  in the hope that they are not exposed as undesirables by the person they attack.

Regards.

29 Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes to 4 Misty as I waffle on here at the moment etc, unfortunately Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad. Never, never will change I suspect sadly. Perhaps we could just have a mute week/month here bounce bounce so they all can get value for their money type of thing Wink Wink.
Back to top Go down
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

PostSubject: Re: FUTURE OR NOT   FUTURE OR NOT - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 24, 2018 11:24 am

Yes. Time I got off for a while. Said it before. To join the Forum new member has to post. Within two days or is deleted. Visitors? Restrict them. Why share knowledge or Knackeroo insights with everyone? I assume many visitors come on here to gain knowledge. Fine. But no input should be no output.
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: FUTURE OR NOT   FUTURE OR NOT - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 25, 2018 12:28 am

Perhaps it would be an advantage if we could have none fanciers giving an opinion on our sport, we tend to look from the inside and most, not all, tend to have opinions based on their own aspect and not as a whole.

The more I consider matters the more I liken it to another sport I have always enjoyed, fishing.

As with our pigeons (using the basics) I got more sport 70 odd years ago fishing with a cane rod and 22 hook, spade ended and tied by myself to a half pound line, and caught fish from wild waters over a pound etc;

Now they drag tame carp in on set ups that need no skill just a strong arm in waters that need no skill whatsoever.

A view or two from outsiders may enlightening, we certainly need some light on the matter.

Regards
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

PostSubject: Re: FUTURE OR NOT   FUTURE OR NOT - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 17, 2018 6:58 pm

just an update on the school visit ...I purchased a yb at our breeder buyer for the classroom and any winnings throughout the yb season from the bird will go to the class we have snowball and club pools also entered into the breeder buyer ...also yesterday I was handed 30 pieces of gold or so it seemed ,but in actual fact it was 30 drawings/artwork of the two pigeons we took to alfies classroom I had said their will be a prize for the best 2 ...I would love to post all the pics, they are all good, but will just post the winners ...I have a few nice pigeon badges for the winners and chocolate to go round the runners up ...what a great response from the kids ,I am also hoping to get the winners in the bhw atb

FUTURE OR NOT - Page 2 Alfies11

FUTURE OR NOT - Page 2 Alfies10
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: FUTURE OR NOT   FUTURE OR NOT - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 17, 2018 7:17 pm

I think you are doing a fantastic job and should be proud of taking an interest in the future of the sport and not just enjoying what it has to offer you,as so many fanciers do.

One of the main troubles regarding the future of the sport is that the lead should come from the top and not be left to individuals.

As recent events in many commercial ventures show, when something is not working the men at the top resign and give someone else the opportunity to improve matters.

One can only live in hope if the sport is to flurish in any meaninful manner.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

PostSubject: Re: FUTURE OR NOT   FUTURE OR NOT - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 18, 2018 10:50 am

The sport is on the rise in many Asian countries. In the UK it is flogging a dead horse. I doubt if that will change. In Europe they have to have the races and awards to sell to the Asians. From what I understand the sport in the UK is delining. Why? Club backbiting? Bad vibes? Personalities? Do what Europe does. Have competitions as they do. Sell to the Asians with results etc,. As long as club racing is more important than Fed then nothing will change much. So many will opt out. So many can make a strain or loft name recognised world wide and reap the benefits. Now when this is noted, high prices paid for birds from the winners many more will get involved. Just for money? Probably but it does get more peple interested.
A pigeon is a living creature. One can get attached to certain birds. However, performers and breeders of performers are what any person needs. If one wants to accomplish any thing. If not keep fantails.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FUTURE OR NOT   FUTURE OR NOT - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

FUTURE OR NOT
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next