Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  UK Pigeon SalesUK Pigeon Sales  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» Trainer from today
by David Yesterday at 8:26 pm

» GUTTED !!!!
by David Yesterday at 8:24 pm

» York Road & District Flying Club
by David Yesterday at 11:51 am

» Weather today
by Daz Yesterday at 9:58 am

» Rapido1988 Welcome....
by Daz Yesterday at 9:55 am

» racing this weekend
by oldstrain Yesterday at 7:41 am

» Goodbye old club
by halcanada Yesterday at 1:26 am

» Great Faith etc !!!.
by Knackered Yesterday at 12:07 am

» TIME FOR FINGERS OUT
by oldstrain Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:11 pm

Forum Syndicate
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
Who is online?
In total there are 9 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 9 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 144 on Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:37 am
Bucktons 2017 Calendar
Pigeon World Forum, Fancier of the Year Trophy.
Top posting users this week
David

MISTY

oldstrain

Daz

Knackered

Lofty

halcanada

redrog

chuda

peel bros

Statistics
We have 1142 registered users
The newest registered user is rapido1988

Our users have posted a total of 169418 messages in 11192 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
John Gibbs young pied/grizzle winner.
Top posters
David

Don Webb

oldstrain

IANYOUNG

peel bros

Knackered

Gaz b

birdy2011

Rene A

Alex

Share | 

And another one.

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird

PostSubject: And another one.   Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:35 pm

Ginger Tom. Big bugger. He is in a better place now.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MISTY
Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Re: And another one.   Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:11 pm

I love all animals including raptors but you do have to use your common sense in relationship to real life.

I have had several cats and have photographs some of them with the pigeons, Sooty used to be on the loft top and wonder round the garden with the pigeons and she did not let other cats in.

The cat looks a pet and if so will be sadly missed by the owner just as you would be if a pigeon was killed by someone else because it landed in their garden and ate some plants.

I have disposed of pests but only in cases that offered no other alternative.

Life in many instances seems very unfair.

Regards.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://albertrosbottom35@outlook.com
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird

PostSubject: Re: And another one.   Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:21 pm

Abandoned barns around here. Probably from one of them. Pet? Then the owner should keep it locked up. I have had dozens of birds killed by cats, coons, mink weasels etc,. Oppossums I release. Other predators die. They kill so becomes a circle. No sympathy whatsoever.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MISTY
Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Re: And another one.   Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:40 pm

Everyone to his/her own.

Do not judge lest you be judged.

Do not know what I would do under your circumstances but I would not take pleasure in killing a pet.

Then you consider that the vast majority of fanciers cull many of the pigeons they say they love?????.

What a mixed up bunch we are.

Regards.

Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: And another one.   Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:51 pm

I hate killing anything, even spiders...........if I had mice or a r*t problem I wouldn't hesitate in killing them, but still would take no pleasure in doing so, I know they are all around us, and often pass through....but as long as they leave me and my birds alone, then I am happy to leave them alone.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird

PostSubject: Re: And another one.   Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:10 pm

Yes Misty. Send a pigeon to a race. Chance of loosing it. Especially young one. Hope it lives happly ever after in the wild. Cruelty? No way! Sport! Zillion ways to inteperet the situations that arise.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fieldwalker
Youngbird
Youngbird

PostSubject: Re: And another one.   Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:46 pm

Got to keep on top of all pests affraid
Back to top Go down
View user profile
markevans
Youngbird
Youngbird

PostSubject: Re: And another one.   Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:51 pm

Seems like one every other week their hal soon be an endangered species over their
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MISTY
Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Re: And another one.   Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:55 pm

I am in a present such situation, we have in the past had a rat problem and been dealt with because of the possible health problems involved, along with being detrimental to the pigeons health etc;

I have used poison which is to me a dubious but effective way and I was never realy happy in doing so, I would much rather shoot them a quick and effect way if they stand still long enough.

Since moving the pigeons on the problem has not arrisen until recently, and we now have a rat feeding with the wild birds, it is actually a very nice looking animal and reasonably friendly, however, where there is one etc:

Discussing the matter with my wife we have decided to let matters rest for the moment and deal with it if matters change.

I would be delighted to have just the one but life is not like that and distasteful decitions have to be made.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: And another one.   Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:05 pm

they say we are never more than a few feet away from a r*t, and also there is never just one......I know they pass through from time to time, we are naive if we think they don't.....but as long as they are given no where to live and breed I assume they will make their homes elsewhere,
Back to top Go down
View user profile
barnie
Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Re: And another one.   Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:27 pm

We've had a few this winter under decking and through garden. Problem is neighbouring bird tables, heaped with wild bird food. Problem is the shops sell it bulked up with wheat and the birds just scatter this to the ground searching for the actual seeds they need and enjoy. Bait stations frequently topped up sorted the rodents but it took a good while.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
David
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: And another one.   Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:30 pm

they say they are getting immune to the poison colin, not sure if its true......I thought it was warfarin based/ anticoagulant, which makes them bleed from within etc Suspect Suspect Question
Back to top Go down
View user profile
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: And another one.   Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:51 pm

MISTY wrote:
Everyone to his/her own.

Do not judge lest you be judged.

Do not know what I would do under your circumstances but I would not take pleasure in killing a pet.

Then you consider that the vast majority of fanciers cull many of the pigeons they say they love?????.

What a mixed up bunch we are.

Regards.

agree
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MISTY
Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Re: And another one.   Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:54 pm

barnie,

You are right regarding the wheat, I would think 80% of some wild bird mix is wheat.

Fortunately, or not, we have nearly as many wood pigeons as other birds and they soon clear any wheat, although they even attempt to get the small seed in the containers for the small birds, the wood pigeons have already fledged some young, I think they do so early when they think they have a constant food source.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
barnie
Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Re: And another one.   Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:11 pm

David wrote:
they say they are getting immune to the poison colin, not sure if its true......I thought it was warfarin based/ anticoagulant, which makes them bleed from within etc Suspect Suspect Question

I got these blocks from the farm David, not sure what's in them but the farmer told me to scrub my hands after setting them!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MISTY
Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Re: And another one.   Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:15 pm

Tried everything available by way of commercial poisons, the rats thought they were their regular feed.

Used anti freeze, problem solved.

Used it on stale bread, would have preferred not to have had to use anything but the rats were becoming a problem, and the anti freeze worked fast.

Regards.

Back to top Go down
FlyAwayHome
Chipping
Chipping

PostSubject: Re: And another one.   Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:01 pm

MISTY wrote:
I love all animals including  raptors but you do have to use your common sense in relationship to real life.

I have had several cats and have photographs some of them with the pigeons, Sooty used to be on the loft top and wonder round the garden with the pigeons and she did not let other cats in.

The cat looks a pet and if so will be sadly missed by the owner just as you would be if a pigeon was killed by someone else because it landed in their garden and ate some plants.

I have disposed of pests but only in cases that offered no other alternative.

Life in many instances seems very unfair.

Regards.

I agree with you, Misty. Granted, I've never had to deal with this problem, but isn't dropping the cat off at a local shelter a better alternative?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FlyAwayHome
Chipping
Chipping

PostSubject: Re: And another one.   Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:02 pm

MISTY wrote:
Tried everything available by way of commercial poisons, the rats thought they were their regular feed.

Used anti freeze, problem solved.

Used it on stale bread, would have preferred not to have had to use anything but the rats were becoming a problem, and the anti freeze worked fast.

Regards.

Ya, that stuff is highly poisonous to all animals.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
morb
Chipping
Chipping

PostSubject: Re: And another one.   Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:52 am

i changed an engine in my old car one time, left a pail of antifreeze in the corner of the garage and forgot about it till i saw the cat drinking it. i got rid of the antifreeze but it was too late, shortly after it got sick and was dying. not a good death, slow and miserable. i put it down and swore that i would never intentionally poison any animal with antifreeze. if your gonna do it do it right either shoot 'em or use killing traps. i take no pleasure in seeing or knowing that an animal is suffering at my cause
Back to top Go down
View user profile
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird

PostSubject: Re: And another one.   Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:52 am

Warfarin. Used in human medicication. Anti-coagulant. Much better stuff out now for rodents. BUT! The bars I use are also eaten by rabbits etc, besides rats. No rats here now but year or so ago very dense population. Weasel killed them off. So with no other food source killed pigeons. So trapped and killed him off. All a balancing act in nature. Easiest food source is much preffered. Cat I shot today could have taken it to an animal shelter. For what? They would gas it eventaully any way.
Making a hawk trap tomorrow. Made them before. Have tried catch and release 80 miles away with fridge magnet stuck to the side of it's head. Now trap and dispose of.
Morb just read that previuos message. Quick kill is best. Think Misty is trying to sides. No matter will kill when needed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
morb
Chipping
Chipping

PostSubject: Re: And another one.   Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:59 am

i never had much problems with hawks, other than the local coopers. i keep a separate loft of pigeons that i use for falconry, i let those ones out early in the morning and any coops that are hungry can pick those off then i let out my good birds to loft fly and range. it has worked out really well over the last few years that i have started doing that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FlyAwayHome
Chipping
Chipping

PostSubject: Re: And another one.   Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:00 am

halcanada wrote:
Cat I shot today could have taken it to an animal shelter. For what? They would gas it eventaully any way.

If he was a pet (which is likely) it would have been eventually found by the owners; cats and dogs are very often part of the family and their owners will go to great lengths to find it. If this hadn't worked out, he still could have been adopted or if not, like you said, put down. Still, it would have had a chance at life which is the least it deserves. Anyway, I'm not going to further dispute this; to each his own.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
morb
Chipping
Chipping

PostSubject: Re: And another one.   Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:01 am

raccoons showed the other night and killed my ducks and pheasants traps are set
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FlyAwayHome
Chipping
Chipping

PostSubject: Re: And another one.   Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:02 am

morb wrote:
i never had much problems with hawks, other than the local coopers. i keep a separate loft of pigeons that i use for falconry, i let those ones out early in the morning and any coops that are hungry can pick those off then i let out my good birds to loft fly and range. it has worked out really well over the last few years that i have started doing that.

Sounds like a good arrangement except that then you run the risk of word spreading in the cooper population. Then your place could turn into a feeding station for em.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FlyAwayHome
Chipping
Chipping

PostSubject: Re: And another one.   Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:03 am

morb wrote:
raccoons showed the other night and killed my ducks and pheasants traps are set

We had a problem with duck killers for a while too. We never could trap them or even identify who was doing it but we lost a few ducks to them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: And another one.   

Back to top Go down

And another one.
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Racing Pigeons,Show & Fancy Pigeons :: General Pigeon News :: Weather-
Jump to: