Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» Ian Evans BHW Letter
Hawk attack............. Emptyby Knackered Today at 1:17 am

» birds on loan
Hawk attack............. Emptyby Knackered Today at 12:40 am

» Good Morning
Hawk attack............. Emptyby Knackered Today at 12:29 am

» photo of Morgan
Hawk attack............. Emptyby Knackered Today at 12:20 am

» Weather today
Hawk attack............. Emptyby George & Morgan Yesterday at 5:23 pm

» Hotting up in the Middle East
Hawk attack............. Emptyby David Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:35 pm

» Homing World Stud Book
Hawk attack............. Emptyby George & Morgan Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:46 am

» York Road & District Results 2024
Hawk attack............. Emptyby David Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:39 am

» pigeonchat closing down
Hawk attack............. Emptyby David Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:55 pm

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) Hawk attack............. 20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 75 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 75 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.Hawk attack............. Resise10
Top posting users this week
George & Morgan
Hawk attack............. Vote_lcapHawk attack............. Voting_barHawk attack............. Vote_rcap 
David
Hawk attack............. Vote_lcapHawk attack............. Voting_barHawk attack............. Vote_rcap 
Knackered
barnie
oldstrain
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1296 registered users
The newest registered user is nelsa19ira

Our users have posted a total of 222389 messages in 13991 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
Hawk attack............. Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
Hawk attack............. Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

Hawk attack.............

Go down 
+3
Pete H.
steve1952
David
7 posters
AuthorMessage
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

Hawk attack............. Empty
PostSubject: Hawk attack.............   Hawk attack............. EmptyTue Apr 27, 2010 11:17 pm

had two attacks on birds yesterday and today, both similar times of day and when i had my ybs out..........was sat down on grass with them today and the hawk came straight for them about 10 - 12 foot off the ground, birds scattered all over the place but thankfully none hurt of taken.......going to try kens idea and put a big mirror near the loft tommorrow ans see what this does, its worth a try. Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
steve1952
Youngbird
Youngbird
steve1952

PostSubject: Re: Hawk attack.............   Hawk attack............. EmptyWed Apr 28, 2010 1:09 am

ive got a 4ft mirror on top of my loft, they still come over compound, only had the 1 attack
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: Hawk attack.............   Hawk attack............. EmptyWed Apr 28, 2010 9:12 pm

put two big mirrors out infront of loft at angle so it will reflect with the sun, saw the hawk go past as usual but noticed it had flown not directly over the loft as it usually does.......it was quite a way off so maybe the reflection from the morror had some effect.....? hope so.

they`ll be out again tommorrow.
Back to top Go down
Pete H.
In egg (newbie)
In egg (newbie)
Pete H.

PostSubject: Re: Hawk attack.............   Hawk attack............. EmptyWed Apr 28, 2010 9:50 pm

David, we get it all the time down here. I know fanciers who try all sorts of ways to stop it but in the end there is very little if anything we can do to protect our feathered friends i`m afraid. But if all these attempts to stop attacks stops just one of our pigeons being killed it is worth it, so if you think the mirrors have helped then do it by all means mate.

Pete.
Back to top Go down
Rudderfett
Youngbird
Youngbird
Rudderfett

PostSubject: Re: Hawk attack.............   Hawk attack............. EmptyWed Apr 28, 2010 9:51 pm

Very Happy Hi david, seems every one is having hawk problems this year, I have had a youngster half eaten by one the other day, I sit in the garden while the birds are out every day with a shotgun by my side...went in for a cupa just 5 minutes and the hawk had 1 they sit close watching and when you go they strike. The bird is ok but hurt. But everybody around here is having trouble this year there seems to be more than ever if thats possible. We have a trap which does the rounds my turn next, it gets them every time, I think about 9 have gone for a holiday this year aready. lol!
Back to top Go down
Pete H.
In egg (newbie)
In egg (newbie)
Pete H.

PostSubject: Re: Hawk attack.............   Hawk attack............. EmptyWed Apr 28, 2010 9:58 pm

Hi Rudderfet, im new to the site but very interested in your reply regarding the hawks.All the locals near me are having problems with hawks and as you said, they are worse than ever so far this year. Its very rare we get the chance to rid ourselves of these terrible birds but every now and then one or two do go missing, good luck when its your turn with the trap i hope you get lucky and get rid of a few more.

Pete.
Back to top Go down
Rudderfett
Youngbird
Youngbird
Rudderfett

PostSubject: Re: Hawk attack.............   Hawk attack............. EmptyWed Apr 28, 2010 10:10 pm

Very Happy Hi pete, thanks for the comment, dont worry we are doing a bit down here in wales, hawks are no problem , if they kill the bird leave it there and it will come back, then we get it one way or another, perigrines are another matter we are getting smashed with them every day and there isnt a clear solution to that shooting is the best way but they are often too high, pioson worke a treat but very hit and miss.
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: Hawk attack.............   Hawk attack............. EmptyWed Apr 28, 2010 10:32 pm

hi martyn, hope you can get rid of a few more of these birds..........its a nightmare when every time i let my birds out im having to watch for hawks, even tho i know there is nothing i can do to protect them once the hawk has them in its sights.......its very anoying especially when the people who profess to care about the welfare of ALL birds is allowing this killing to continue. Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
IANYOUNG
Oldbird
Oldbird
IANYOUNG

PostSubject: Re: Hawk attack.............   Hawk attack............. EmptyThu Apr 29, 2010 8:29 pm

what is morrors david scratch scratch
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: Hawk attack.............   Hawk attack............. EmptyThu Apr 29, 2010 8:36 pm

ian wrote:

mirrors are what you look into to see yourself, ie when you get a shave maybe......? some women use them to put their makeup on, they are shiney glass type things.. cat
Back to top Go down
IANYOUNG
Oldbird
Oldbird
IANYOUNG

PostSubject: Re: Hawk attack.............   Hawk attack............. EmptyThu Apr 29, 2010 8:47 pm

DAVID wrote:
ian wrote:

mirrors are what you look into to see yourself, ie when you get a shave maybe......? some women use them to put their makeup on, they are shiney glass type things.. cat
you wrote morrors didnt know what you were on about was confused
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: Hawk attack.............   Hawk attack............. EmptyThu Apr 29, 2010 8:51 pm

ian wrote:
DAVID wrote:
ian wrote:

you wrote morrors didnt know what you were on about was confused

ah right, got to try anything if theres a chance it could save the birds being attacked havnt we.....?
Back to top Go down
IANYOUNG
Oldbird
Oldbird
IANYOUNG

PostSubject: Re: Hawk attack.............   Hawk attack............. EmptyThu Apr 29, 2010 9:08 pm

fantail under a upside down fish tank should do the trick
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: Hawk attack.............   Hawk attack............. EmptyThu Apr 29, 2010 9:18 pm

heard of it before, but even tho im not in to fantails etc i think its cruel to use a live bird as the shock would probably kill it (so ive been told).....the idea is that it breaks the hawks neck as far as i know.
Back to top Go down
Rudderfett
Youngbird
Youngbird
Rudderfett

PostSubject: Re: Hawk attack.............   Hawk attack............. EmptyThu Apr 29, 2010 11:10 pm

Very Happy I dont think so david, The hawk will just land on the top. As I have said we have a trap and the hawk simply lands on the top of it then jumps on a stick and bingo the lid closes, never seen him dive into it, in fact the hawk aproches quite slow, we use a live bird, same 1 now for a while and its not died of frieght either...well not yet lol!
Back to top Go down
steve b
Hatchling
Hatchling
steve b

PostSubject: Re: Hawk attack.............   Hawk attack............. EmptyThu Apr 29, 2010 11:14 pm

DAVID wrote:
heard of it before, but even tho im not in to fantails etc i think its cruel to use a live bird as the shock would probably kill it (so ive been told).....the idea is that it breaks the hawks neck as far as i know.

and gets you jail if you get caught
think on this a open forum lads
so be careful what you are saying
bop lovers are looking about these forums dont forget
steve
Back to top Go down
Rudderfett
Youngbird
Youngbird
Rudderfett

PostSubject: Re: Hawk attack.............   Hawk attack............. EmptyFri Apr 30, 2010 7:00 pm

Very Happy Thanks for the concern steve, but forum talk is no evidence for anything, for all you know Im a big fat Liar who like to talk big. They cant do anything, I for 1 live on a farm and no one will come on my land snooping, I have a large chow chow dog who likes to eat people. But I take on board what you say Its relevant and we should be carefull. pirat
Back to top Go down
Rudderfett
Youngbird
Youngbird
Rudderfett

PostSubject: Re: Hawk attack.............   Hawk attack............. EmptyFri Apr 30, 2010 7:01 pm

Very Happy By the way I forgot to mention I will kill anything that crosses my land especially bops... lol!
Back to top Go down
peel bros
Oldbird
Oldbird
peel bros

PostSubject: Re: Hawk attack.............   Hawk attack............. EmptyFri Apr 30, 2010 7:57 pm

do not blame you
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: Hawk attack.............   Hawk attack............. EmptySat May 01, 2010 1:55 pm

hi martyn, i know you said you lived on a farm.......silly question but are you a farmer? or just happen to live on a farm? the reason why im asking is that altho a farmer is entitled to shoot a dog worrying his sheep etc by law, is he also entitled to shoot bops/hawks etc by law.....?
Back to top Go down
IANYOUNG
Oldbird
Oldbird
IANYOUNG

PostSubject: Re: Hawk attack.............   Hawk attack............. EmptySat May 01, 2010 6:10 pm

david nobody is allowed to shoot a bird of prey they are protected
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hawk attack.............   Hawk attack............. Empty

Back to top Go down

Hawk attack.............
Page 1 of 1