Forum for Pigeon Fanciers
 
HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  UK Pigeon SalesUK Pigeon Sales  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» UK future of the sport.
by MISTY Today at 2:32 pm

» RAPTORS ARE LOVEABLE
by halcanada Today at 1:44 pm

» Young bird bath
by redrog Today at 10:54 am

» Weather today
by redrog Today at 10:51 am

» hi everyone
by oldstrain Today at 7:16 am

» Any Race Results This Weekend .
by Knackered Today at 5:48 am

» YB Dead....
by fieldwalker Today at 5:23 am

» Welcome Daz....
by Knackered Yesterday at 5:18 am

» mnfc one loft 2018
by Knackered Yesterday at 4:55 am

Forum Syndicate
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
Who is online?
In total there are 21 users online :: 3 Registered, 0 Hidden and 18 Guests :: 2 Bots

barnie, David, oldstrain

Most users ever online was 144 on Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:37 am
Bucktons 2017 Calendar
Pigeon World Forum, Fancier of the Year Trophy.
Top posting users this week
David
 
Knackered
 
MISTY
 
halcanada
 
redrog
 
fieldwalker
 
Boosey
 
oldstrain
 
Rene A
 
Statistics
We have 1138 registered users
The newest registered user is Daz

Our users have posted a total of 168336 messages in 11146 subjects
Log in
Username:
Password:
Log in automatically: 
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
John Gibbs young pied/grizzle winner.
Top posters
David
 
Don Webb
 
IANYOUNG
 
oldstrain
 
peel bros
 
Knackered
 
Gaz b
 
birdy2011
 
Rene A
 
Alex
 

Share | 
 

 Just the basics.

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
avatar

Posts : 3055
Join date : 2014-03-11
Age : 78
Location : Southern Ontario. Canada.

PostSubject: Just the basics.   Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:11 pm

From what I can gather and pin down there are only one thing a pigeon needs. The will to get home as fast as possible. Exersise, feed, methods, meds etc, can all enhance their will to some degree but so much thought is put in to feed, training, methods the basic is often overlooked. JMO anyway.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fieldwalker
Youngbird
Youngbird
avatar

Posts : 1385
Join date : 2011-10-01
Age : 57
Location : BOLDON COLLIERY TYNE&WEAR

PostSubject: Re: Just the basics.   Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:38 am

Aye but thats the most important factor. study
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MISTY
Hatchling
Hatchling


Posts : 471
Join date : 2018-01-28
Age : 83
Location : SCARBOROUGH

PostSubject: Re: Just the basics.   Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:03 am

As I said in the BHW 40 years ago, the love of their home is the best motivation, (long lasting) that one can achieve within our sport, it is then up to the fancier to provide the fuel for any task asked.

Too much commercialism and a few lies along the road has not helped either the sport as a whole or the pigeons welfare in particular.

The very worst aspect have been the self appointed experts who have turned a simple sport into apparently one needing a degree in several specialist subjects.

Keep things as simple as possible, not as complicated as.


Regards.


.




Back to top Go down
View user profile http://albertrosbottom35@outlook.com
MISTY
Hatchling
Hatchling


Posts : 471
Join date : 2018-01-28
Age : 83
Location : SCARBOROUGH

PostSubject: Re: Just the basics.   Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:32 pm

Just had a look regarding floor dressings and the fanciers who condemn builders lime etc; and prefer to spend money on commercial products


All the white floor dressings are manufactured from chalk or other limestone minerals with a few sweet smelling additions to fool the foolish, when a bag of lime can last a year or more and cost pennies in comparison.


Just one of the many ways fanciers are taken for a ride.


Regards.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://albertrosbottom35@outlook.com
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
avatar

Posts : 32103
Join date : 2009-03-18
Location : Leeds

PostSubject: Re: Just the basics.   Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:39 pm

I used to use lime in the 80`s, good stuff it was, did the job........but it was horrible stuff to use, getting on the back of your throat and nose, thank goodness for columbine whitener, that's all I can say.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
MISTY
Hatchling
Hatchling


Posts : 471
Join date : 2018-01-28
Age : 83
Location : SCARBOROUGH

PostSubject: Re: Just the basics.   Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:55 pm

David it was supposed to go onto the perches and the floor not down your throat, and I never had any problem with it for over 75 years, both as dressing and a lime wash, I still use it as lime wash in the old loft, now occupied by show rabbits.

When I was young nearly every fancier used it and their birds did not need all the curative and preventative measures needed by fanciers today.

One would have thought that things would have got better instead of reaching the present situation.

The product you use will be made from a type of limestone and be less effective than the raw material, but smell better.

Regards.


Back to top Go down
View user profile http://albertrosbottom35@outlook.com
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
avatar

Posts : 3055
Join date : 2014-03-11
Age : 78
Location : Southern Ontario. Canada.

PostSubject: Re: Just the basics.   Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:43 am

Lime powder was always sprinkled on deep litter chicken barns 1955. Also barns washed with lime and water. I use when needed diatamaceuos earth or Stable Boy. Guess kitty litter would do the same thing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
avatar

Posts : 7469
Join date : 2013-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Just the basics.   Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:01 am

MISTY wrote:
Just had a look regarding floor dressings and the fanciers who condemn builders lime etc; and prefer to spend money on commercial products


All the white floor dressings are manufactured from chalk or other limestone minerals with a few sweet smelling additions to fool the foolish, when a bag of lime can last a year or more and cost pennies in comparison.


Just one of the many ways fanciers are taken for a ride.


Regards.

Spin & bling Misty Wink Wink Put a pigeon on a bag of builders lime etc Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes double the price Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad & hey presto lol! lol! lol! another magic type must have as such Smile Smile. cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
avatar

Posts : 32103
Join date : 2009-03-18
Location : Leeds

PostSubject: Re: Just the basics.   Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:43 am

scratch if i remember rightly misty, I did put it on the perches and floor, I didn't sit playing with it , throwing it about the loft.....simply by using it, it burnt the back of my throat and nose, I suppose you could compare it to cement, probably why there are so many building worker related illnesses, due to materials used, asbestos etc.

columbine floor whitener is one advancement I agree with.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
barnie
Hatchling
Hatchling
avatar

Posts : 595
Join date : 2012-07-25

PostSubject: Re: Just the basics.   Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:11 am

Hazards of builders lime, wouldn't be for me........and can't imagine it doing the pigeons much good either.

"Not only is hydrated lime a very short-term solution (that only works to cover up the smell of ammonia) but it can also be a very dangerous product to use. If high concentrations of hydrated lime dust are inhaled, irritation to the respiratory tract will occur. Dermatitis can result from prolonged exposure and repeated skin contact and a risk of severe and permanent eye damage exists if hydrated lime comes in contact with the eyes. The product can cause burns in the presence of moisture and will cause irritation of the gastrointestinal tract when ingested. Personal protective equipment should be worn at all times when using hydrated lime".
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
avatar

Posts : 32103
Join date : 2009-03-18
Location : Leeds

PostSubject: Re: Just the basics.   Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:31 am

good information there colin, there were some very nasty materials in the building trade, before the pc brigade stuck their noses in, this is one possibility my doctor put to me because both my lungs are scarred , quite possible it could have been through the use of builders lime for the pigeons for 10 years....... Suspect Suspect study
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
barnie
Hatchling
Hatchling
avatar

Posts : 595
Join date : 2012-07-25

PostSubject: Re: Just the basics.   Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:36 am

Hi David, we got stopped from using hydrated lime here at work over 10 years ago.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
fieldwalker
Youngbird
Youngbird
avatar

Posts : 1385
Join date : 2011-10-01
Age : 57
Location : BOLDON COLLIERY TYNE&WEAR

PostSubject: Re: Just the basics.   Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:38 am

I use loft white maybe once a week and i double sweep it out.
I would use Harkers if it was cheaper or maybe the one sani-dry tho iv never looked at that one
but about to now. Idea Idea Idea
Back to top Go down
View user profile
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
avatar

Posts : 32103
Join date : 2009-03-18
Location : Leeds

PostSubject: Re: Just the basics.   Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:39 am

hi colin, yes I don't wonder.......when we used it for the loft in the 1980`s there wasn't anything else I don't think, no columbine whitener etc, so I just used what everyone else was using.....I think when I mixed it with sand it wasn't as bad, but it was horrible stuff.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
avatar

Posts : 32103
Join date : 2009-03-18
Location : Leeds

PostSubject: Re: Just the basics.   Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:42 am

I dare say these modern floor whiteners, columbine etc are still not good for your lungs, or the birds.....I reckon its still best to make sure we sweep as much up as we can, as any sort of dust isn't good I would imagine . No No
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
fieldwalker
Youngbird
Youngbird
avatar

Posts : 1385
Join date : 2011-10-01
Age : 57
Location : BOLDON COLLIERY TYNE&WEAR

PostSubject: Re: Just the basics.   Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:48 am

respiro san dry about 25 pound its made from oyster shell flour peppermint and eucalyptus fo 10k bucket.
seems abit steep the price for what it is.
I wonder if the horsey world uses something similar .
Back to top Go down
View user profile
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
avatar

Posts : 32103
Join date : 2009-03-18
Location : Leeds

PostSubject: Re: Just the basics.   Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:01 am

that's expensive, columbine is a tenner, or there abouts for a big sack.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
avatar

Posts : 7469
Join date : 2013-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Just the basics.   Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:17 am

barnie wrote:
Hazards of builders lime, wouldn't be for me........and can't imagine it doing the pigeons much good either.

"Not only is hydrated lime a very short-term solution (that only works to cover up the smell of ammonia) but it can also be a very dangerous product to use. If high concentrations of hydrated lime dust are inhaled, irritation to the respiratory tract will occur. Dermatitis can result from prolonged exposure and repeated skin contact and a risk of severe and permanent eye damage exists if hydrated lime comes in contact with the eyes. The product can cause burns in the presence of moisture and will cause irritation of the gastrointestinal tract when ingested. Personal protective equipment should be worn at all times when using hydrated lime".
Every thing in moderation I would suggest Barnie Smile Smile. If one understands the dangers involved & acts in a sensible manner with different things, certain benefits can be forth coming & builders lime is no different to many other things that have been used with our birds I suggest etc. Bleach, hydrochloric acid Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Pine O Clean Smile Smile to name but a few, as such Wink Wink. cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
avatar

Posts : 32103
Join date : 2009-03-18
Location : Leeds

PostSubject: Re: Just the basics.   Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:21 am

ive read of fanciers using the likes of Bleach, hydrochloric acid in the drinking water before, and they must be mental, why would someone put bleach in water to drink...? I know pigeon men are always on the look out for the one thing that will make their birds healthy and win, but bleach is ridiculous ..........

Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
avatar

Posts : 7469
Join date : 2013-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Just the basics.   Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:41 am

David wrote:
ive read of fanciers using the likes of Bleach, hydrochloric acid in the drinking water before, and they must be mental, why would someone put bleach in water to drink...? I know pigeon men are always on the look out for the one thing that will make their birds healthy and win, but bleach is ridiculous ..........

As a certain member said here David Smile Smile each to their own etc Wink Wink. Bleach would you believe for many years was Big, Big on the American racing scene by what I have read as such. Even old grumpy Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Mr Eye Sign, was a great believer in its use Smile Smile. cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MISTY
Hatchling
Hatchling


Posts : 471
Join date : 2018-01-28
Age : 83
Location : SCARBOROUGH

PostSubject: Re: Just the basics.   Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:44 am

If you abuse anything it can be detrimental, I, and I know many others, have used lime for many years and many still do, suffer no ill effects and their pigeons are heathier than most.

If you inject yourself when vaccinating pigeons or drink some of the gunge many give their pigeons I feel you would not feel too well.

Ammonia is not detrimental to a pigeons well being and in fact is an asset given by nature, if your loft smells of it then your ventilation needs attention.

When just relocating I took a job as weighman for Slaters Lime Quaries, which produced burnt lime for the steel industries, with three kilns, when a position in my own occupation arose I left but it was a worthwhile experience.

I use to slake the lime myself because it was too strong but still retained the strength to be ideal for deep litter.

To abuse anything will result in problems, you take the necessary safeguards for whatever you deal wth.

It is beyond me how anyone can inhale lime if treated in a proper manner, I dusted the perches with it topped up the deep litter when necessary and never had a problem, the latter was down for over 40 years unchanged and transferred from one loft to another at one stage , I onlyhad change it when it unfortunately got wet beyondr edemption, when I had to start a new lot.

It beats me when people have theories that contradict fact and actuality.

Regards.



Back to top Go down
View user profile http://albertrosbottom35@outlook.com
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
avatar

Posts : 11341
Join date : 2011-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Just the basics.   Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:58 am

forget all yer loft whiteners ,resp sano dry etc...and get on the blow torch Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
avatar

Posts : 7469
Join date : 2013-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Just the basics.   Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:06 am

MISTY wrote:
If you abuse anything it can be detrimental, I, and I know many others, have used lime for many years and many still do, suffer no ill effects and their pigeons are heathier  than most.

If you inject yourself when vaccinating pigeons or drink some of the gunge many give their pigeons I feel you would not feel too well.

Ammonia is not detrimental to a pigeons well being and in fact is an asset given by nature, if your loft smells of it then your ventilation needs attention.

When just relocating I took a job as weighman for Slaters Lime Quaries, which produced burnt lime for the steel industries, with three kilns, when a position in my own occupation arose I left but it was a worthwhile experience.

I use to slake the lime myself because it was too strong  but still retained the strength to be ideal for deep litter.

To abuse anything will result in problems, you take the necessary safeguards for whatever you deal wth.

It is beyond me how anyone can inhale lime if treated in a proper manner, I dusted the perches with it topped up the deep litter when necessary and never had a problem, the latter was down for over 40 years unchanged and transferred from one loft to another at one stage , I onlyhad change it when it unfortunately got wet beyondr edemption, when I had to start a new lot.

It beats me when people have theories  that contradict fact and actuality.

Regards.  



In relation Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes to your last quote above Misty Smile Smile maybe its because unfortuntley bounce bounce certain pigeon people I'm affraid are as dumb as horse sh*te etc. cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
redrog
Youngbird
Youngbird


Posts : 1201
Join date : 2012-12-02
Age : 62
Location : rhos, wrexham

PostSubject: Re: Just the basics.   Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:14 am

the san dri smells good but is dusty as hell stopped using it, use blanco once in blue moon when damp conditions and loft floor gets damp usually around November time otherwise nout on floor or perches, loft is sprayed every 4-6 weeks with jeyes fluid kills most things breathing. Remember uncle using lime back in 60's also had outside crapper half mile down garden and no hot water so we move on bounce
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
avatar

Posts : 7469
Join date : 2013-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Just the basics.   Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:26 am

redrog wrote:
the san dri smells good but is dusty as hell stopped using it, use blanco once in blue moon when damp conditions and loft floor gets damp usually around November time otherwise nout on floor or perches, loft is sprayed every 4-6 weeks with jeyes fluid kills most things breathing. Remember uncle using lime back in 60's also had outside crapper half mile down garden and no hot water so we move on bounce
lol! lol! lol! Fair point etc Smile Smile Redrog Wink Wink. The outside dunny scenario Smile Smile remember a young fella "well" Wink Wink who threw a brick at the dunny man, when he was collecting the local can as such lol! lol! lol! & created a local disaster issue. Ran like hell he did Smile Smile & didn't come home till well after dark etc would you believe. cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Just the basics.   

Back to top Go down
 
Just the basics.
Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Racing Pigeons,Show & Fancy Pigeons :: General Pigeon News :: Weather-
Jump to: