Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  UK Pigeon SalesUK Pigeon Sales  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» York Road & District Flying Club
by Knackered Today at 2:47 am

» who's going this weekend
by Knackered Today at 2:32 am

» Club house dangers!
by Knackered Today at 2:19 am

» YBs Weaned Next Week.
by Knackered Today at 2:03 am

» Weather today
by markevans Yesterday at 10:28 am

» What to do with eight later bred young birds
by Knackered Yesterday at 9:53 am

» Aussie weather!
by Knackered Fri May 25, 2018 11:39 pm

» US flier. Posted this.
by Knackered Fri May 25, 2018 11:32 pm

» Who is the race controller for Nottingham Federation?
by blueskylofts Fri May 25, 2018 12:53 pm

Forum Syndicate
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
Who is online?
In total there are 30 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 30 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 144 on Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:37 am
Bucktons 2017 Calendar
Pigeon World Forum, Fancier of the Year Trophy.
Top posting users this week
Knackered

David

halcanada

oldstrain

redrog

blueskylofts

MISTY

Don Webb

fieldwalker

barnie

Statistics
We have 1134 registered users
The newest registered user is Paul0

Our users have posted a total of 167320 messages in 11082 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
John Gibbs young pied/grizzle winner.
Top posters
David

Don Webb

IANYOUNG

oldstrain

peel bros

Knackered

Gaz b

birdy2011

Rene A

Alex

Share | 

feeding good food breeding

Go down 
AuthorMessage
garylloyd
In egg (newbie)
In egg (newbie)

PostSubject: feeding good food breeding   Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:13 am

hi could somebody suggest the best food for feeding breeding feeding stock birds thx
Back to top Go down
View user profile
David
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: feeding good food breeding   Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:34 am

hi gary, welcome to the forum.........I`m a novice, so I can only tell you what I`m feeding at the moment, my young birds are reared on either gem breeding mix with pellets, or what I`m using at the moment which is versa laga breed and wean, they are also fed this for a few weeks after weaning, then Gerry plus is added to the mix approx. 50 / 50

im not racing old birds so my old birds and stock are fed on the breeding mix for those who have ybs or for those not feeding ybs are fed all round, with a % of depurative added.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MISTY
Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Re: feeding good food breeding   Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:51 pm

When is the RPRA going to do a similar programme showing our feathered friends being liberated miles from home in atrocious weather from both the sea and the air to save lives not eat prey alive?.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://albertrosbottom35@outlook.com
David
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: feeding good food breeding   Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:15 pm

MISTY wrote:
When is the RPRA going to do a similar programme showing our feathered friends being liberated miles from home in atrocious weather from both the sea and the air to save lives not eat prey alive?.

Regards.  

have you posted in the wrong topic misty ? scratch
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MISTY
Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Re: feeding good food breeding   Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:17 pm

Sorry David, yes, please make an excuse for old age and poverty, it should have been in the Raptor section.

Regards.

Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: feeding good food breeding   Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:22 pm

"POVERTY" ..... affraid affraid

usually those who cry poverty, have plenty stashed away.......... lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MISTY
Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Re: feeding good food breeding   Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:07 pm

I am not worried for myself David, if they got past all the begging bowls that litter our drive they would be torn to pieces by the chuawa, (If the spelling is wrong just think of a vicious little monster)

But to get back to what the question is.

As long as you give a balanced diet and there are plenty scientifically put together it is what throat the food is going down that matters most.

I used exactly the same mix throughout the year, self formulated based on all the seed etc; available and had no problems.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: feeding good food breeding   Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:47 am

garylloyd wrote:
hi could somebody suggest the best food for feeding breeding feeding stock birds thx
Clean, Peas & beans Smile Smile Gary, around 40 %. Safflower, milo, wheat, peeled oats & chicken breeding pellets. No set rule thou Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes but I suggest you keep away from barley & large corn etc when breeding, as its the protein factor that makes babies grow on average like chooks. Will find many magic type mixtures out there Wink Wink I suggest, but I place most of them under the spin & bling category as such. Now. Welcome aboard here Gary Smile Smile & one just hopes you gain some enjoyment from what we offer here  Smile  Smile even thou at times, it may appear some what confusing  Wink  Wink. cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MISTY
Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Re: feeding good food breeding   Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:15 pm

Regarding food and anything else I have always taken nature into consideration.

I doubt if there is one animal that does exactly the same thing the following day or the one after etc;

They will vary their food intake, visit different areas and deal with the weather etc;
As circumstances arise.

Some are able to cover thousands of miles and I do not know one that polishes it's food, nor limits to a daily ration etc;

The pigeon in many instances has become the victim of the ROBOT fancier much to the detriment in health and longevity to perform.

The majority of races are now won by yearlings, when years ago they were not allowed to enter certain races.

Variety is the spice of life but much of the basic elements that made the sport have long since been overtaken by the proffessionals and the commercial boys.

I think there will always be genuine fanciers in the future mainly on the allotments or back gardens but as a sport as intended ?????

Regards.

Back to top Go down
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird

PostSubject: Re: feeding good food breeding   Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:19 pm

Does not matter. Just make sure they have a turf with soil occasionally. Bought Econo mix yesterday. 12% protien. Also wild bird seed no corn with 14% protien. Have corn and Safflowere to adjust as needed. They are out flying and in the fields now. Used to use a mix with peas. Green or brown peas they would eat. The regular white ones they would leave. Most peas here now are white. No beans. Does not really matter. They will pick and choose if they have a choice.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blueskylofts
Youngbird
Youngbird

PostSubject: Re: feeding good food breeding   Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:55 pm

For me, you cannot go too far wrong with Versele Laga 'Breed and Wean' OR Vanrobaeys Breed and wean.

What you are looking for is a good balance of large and small seeds - plenty of Protein and some Carbohydrate.

All young growing animals need Protein to build and repair 'Red Tissue Fibres' MUSCLES!

They do not need a lot of maize, but seeds such as Dari (Red and White), Tares, Safflower, a bit of wheat and some small seed such as linseed or rape, plus a mixture of good quality peas. Do not feed tic beans, the inner skin is poisonous to pigeons.

You could also use some Gem G10 pellets, or Growers pellets made for rearing chickens. Do NOT get ordinary chicken pellets. You need something with a protein content around 18%.

Hope this helps.

Phil
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.philongold.net
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: feeding good food breeding   

Back to top Go down

feeding good food breeding
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Racing Pigeons,Show & Fancy Pigeons :: General Pigeon News :: Weather-
Jump to: