Forum for Pigeon Fanciers
 
HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  UK Pigeon SalesUK Pigeon Sales  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» RPRA Forum Syndicate 2019.
by David Today at 4:59 pm

» Forgot to specify!
by David Today at 3:27 pm

» Forgot to specify!
by halcanada Today at 2:38 pm

» Another stray from US.
by halcanada Today at 2:04 pm

» Weather today
by redrog Today at 10:43 am

» Welcome, welcome !!!.
by David Today at 10:30 am

» Reducing Numbers....
by MISTY Yesterday at 9:36 pm

» Off to pirate country
by Daz Yesterday at 10:11 am

» just got word
by MISTY Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:48 pm

Forum Syndicate
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
Who is online?
In total there are 27 users online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 26 Guests :: 2 Bots

David

Most users ever online was 144 on Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:37 am
Bucktons 2017 Calendar
Pigeon World Forum, Fancier of the Year Trophy.
Top posting users this week
David
 
oldstrain
 
MISTY
 
halcanada
 
Knackered
 
redrog
 
Daz
 
Lofty
 
Statistics
We have 1146 registered users
The newest registered user is dcarter

Our users have posted a total of 170307 messages in 11248 subjects
Log in
Username:
Password:
Log in automatically: 
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
John Gibbs young pied/grizzle winner.
Top posters
David
 
Don Webb
 
oldstrain
 
IANYOUNG
 
peel bros
 
Knackered
 
Gaz b
 
birdy2011
 
Rene A
 
Alex
 

Share | 
 

 Finally got some!

Go down 
AuthorMessage
FlyAwayHome
Chipping
Chipping
avatar

Posts : 118
Join date : 2018-03-08
Location : Canada

PostSubject: Finally got some!   Thu May 10, 2018 11:58 pm

After a long wait and a lot of thought I finally got some pigeons!

As y'all know, I was planning to trap some ferals. The building where they used to live and where I was planning to trap em was abandoned so I started looking to buy some. I was about to buy a pair for 30 bucks, when I found an ad for two fifteen-day-old squabs. Their parents had been killed by cats and the person who rescued them didn't have the time or experience to care for them. Likely not the smartest decision I've made but I took them. cheers Right now I'm feeding them chick starter mixed with water, every six hours. Is this correct or not so much? Do I have to let their crops empty between feedings or can I leave it to empty during the night and not worry about it during the day? How full is too full - can you feel it? My biggest fear right now is over-feeding them...

TIA and I'll post some pics as soon as my camera quits acting up cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
avatar

Posts : 3182
Join date : 2014-03-11
Age : 78
Location : Southern Ontario. Canada.

PostSubject: Re: Finally got some!   Fri May 11, 2018 1:21 am

Feed them all they will eat. To tame them later restrict the feed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
avatar

Posts : 7741
Join date : 2013-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Finally got some!   Fri May 11, 2018 3:40 am

FlyAwayHome wrote:
After a long wait and a lot of thought I finally got some pigeons!

As y'all know, I was planning to trap some ferals. The building where they used to live and where I was planning to trap em was abandoned so I started looking to buy some. I was about to buy a pair for 30 bucks, when I found an ad for two fifteen-day-old squabs. Their parents had been killed by cats and the person who rescued them didn't have the time or experience to care for them. Likely not the smartest decision I've made but I took them. cheers Right now I'm feeding them chick starter mixed with water, every six hours. Is this correct or not so much? Do I have to let their crops empty between feedings or can I leave it to empty during the night and not worry about it during the day? How full is too full - can you feel it? My biggest fear right now is over-feeding them...

TIA and I'll post some pics as soon as my camera quits acting up cheers
One small step there etc I suggest Fly away Smile Smile. Pellets & the way you are feeding is OK. But peas as such or the like would be better I suggest, as they need they protein factor to grow at a rapid rate type of thing, especially when being hand raised. The night time scenario, just keep them in a warm type environment Wink Wink inside your house & then tuck them up with a water bottle, wrapped in a towel for company Smile Smile. Now  Rolling Eyes  Rolling Eyes best pigeon I ever owned  bounce  bounce was a pigeon my daughters took a fancy to in the race loft etc. Hand raised in the kitchen here by all the family with much love & attention till she grew into an adult type of thing. Called Piepa, lived to around 17 years of age, fortunately & for those 17 years she always thought her home base was our kitchen as such  Smile  Smile & every time we opened the windows, she thought she had the right  lol!  lol!  lol! would you believe, to pop in for a chat & a cup of tea & a cake as such  Wink  Wink. cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FlyAwayHome
Chipping
Chipping
avatar

Posts : 118
Join date : 2018-03-08
Location : Canada

PostSubject: Re: Finally got some!   Fri May 11, 2018 4:07 am

Knackered wrote:
FlyAwayHome wrote:
After a long wait and a lot of thought I finally got some pigeons!

As y'all know, I was planning to trap some ferals. The building where they used to live and where I was planning to trap em was abandoned so I started looking to buy some. I was about to buy a pair for 30 bucks, when I found an ad for two fifteen-day-old squabs. Their parents had been killed by cats and the person who rescued them didn't have the time or experience to care for them. Likely not the smartest decision I've made but I took them. cheers Right now I'm feeding them chick starter mixed with water, every six hours. Is this correct or not so much? Do I have to let their crops empty between feedings or can I leave it to empty during the night and not worry about it during the day? How full is too full - can you feel it? My biggest fear right now is over-feeding them...

TIA and I'll post some pics as soon as my camera quits acting up cheers
One small step there etc I suggest Fly away Smile Smile. Pellets & the way you are feeding is OK. But peas as such or the like would be better I suggest, as they need they protein factor to grow at a rapid rate type of thing, especially when being hand raised. The night time scenario, just keep them in a warm type environment Wink Wink inside your house & then tuck them up with a water bottle, wrapped in a towel for company Smile Smile. Now  Rolling Eyes  Rolling Eyes best pigeon I ever owned  bounce  bounce was a pigeon my daughters took a fancy to in the race loft etc. Hand raised in the kitchen here by all the family with much love & attention till she grew into an adult type of thing. Called Piepa, lived to around 17 years of age, fortunately & for those 17 years she always thought her home base was our kitchen as such  Smile  Smile & every time we opened the windows, she thought she had the right  lol!  lol!  lol! would you believe, to pop in for a chat & a cup of tea & a cake as such  Wink  Wink. cheers

Lol, Piepa sounds very... annoyingly cute? Laughing

So I am keeping them in the house (I was sooo surprised when my mom was OK with that Laughing) and I have a hot water bottle constantly under half of the box so they can move away from the heat if they want. Is this enough as far as heat during the night goes?

I'll get some frozen peas (I have canned ones but I hear they're not so good) and what else should I feed regarding seeds/vegetables? How does a mix of corn, barley, oats and peas sound?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
avatar

Posts : 11656
Join date : 2011-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Finally got some!   Fri May 11, 2018 7:58 am

I use dried peas and soak them in water for 24/48 hours if I want to feed a older squab or syringewith a tube and mashed up chicken pellets for younger squabs but at 15 days they should take the peas no problem but make sure they are well soaked not mushy but nice and plump where they have taken moisture on I also syringe 20 mil of water after each feed and this seems to be enough water intake for the squabs to ...just the way I do it here, good luck
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FlyAwayHome
Chipping
Chipping
avatar

Posts : 118
Join date : 2018-03-08
Location : Canada

PostSubject: Re: Finally got some!   Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:56 am

Okay, so first off, it's been a while! My good 'ol computer has been acting up once again. *sigh*


Anyway, the pigeons are now roughly five weeks old! They've been doing really well and eating a lot. I moved them outside to a chicken-barn-turned-loft as soon as they started fly/hopping around my mom's kitchen. Laughing They can fly pretty well by now as long as they have something that they're aiming at. I haven't let them fly outside the loft so far.

I am also planning on getting a couple button quail in the near future - they'll be living on the ground of the loft.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
avatar

Posts : 7741
Join date : 2013-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Finally got some!   Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:28 am

FlyAwayHome wrote:
Okay, so first off, it's been a while! My good 'ol computer has been acting up once again. *sigh*


Anyway, the pigeons are now roughly five weeks old! They've been doing really well and eating a lot. I moved them outside to a chicken-barn-turned-loft as soon as they started fly/hopping around my mom's kitchen. Laughing They can fly pretty well by now as long as they have something that they're aiming at. I haven't let them fly outside the loft so far.

I am also planning on getting a couple button quail in the near future - they'll be living on the ground of the loft.
Terrific Fly Away Smile Smile all looking good etc bounce bounce & mum on the happy side also now lol! lol! lol! I suggest Smile Smile.  cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
barnie
Hatchling
Hatchling
avatar

Posts : 622
Join date : 2012-07-25

PostSubject: Re: Finally got some!   Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:42 am

Good luck with your birds. Well done on rearing them yourself, I guess they're very tame now. You need to think about getting them outside soon, when you're ready to try,  have them miss a feed beforehand and a light feed even before the missed one, you'll learn how to control them through feeding. Also maybe put them out on a evening is best one thing on their mind is food and perch for the night. Also good if they be been able to see the outside world become familiar with surroundings.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
avatar

Posts : 11656
Join date : 2011-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Finally got some!   Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:58 am

good luck with the young birds some good advice from barnie there ...hope much fun is had with them atb
Back to top Go down
View user profile
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
avatar

Posts : 32452
Join date : 2009-03-18
Location : Leeds

PostSubject: Re: Finally got some!   Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:49 am

good luck with your birds fly away... cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
avatar

Posts : 7741
Join date : 2013-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Finally got some!   Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:30 am

David wrote:
good luck with your birds fly away... cheers
Same, same Smile Smile just curious Fly Away etc Wink Wink as it's been a while here about any info on your little flock there Smile  Smile & so  bounce  bounce any update on your little champs there as such for us all here. cheers
*****
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MISTY
Hatchling
Hatchling


Posts : 690
Join date : 2018-01-28
Age : 83
Location : SCARBOROUGH

PostSubject: Re: Finally got some!   Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:32 am

Used the same as oldstrain soaked beans and peas nothing else, no problem.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://albertrosbottom35@outlook.com
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Finally got some!   

Back to top Go down
 
Finally got some!
Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Racing Pigeons,Show & Fancy Pigeons :: Message Forum :: General Discussions-
Jump to: