Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» good luck weekend
Finally got some! Emptyby oldstrain Today at 6:18 pm

» Weather today
Finally got some! Emptyby oldstrain Today at 6:16 pm

» Good Morning
Finally got some! Emptyby oldstrain Today at 6:15 pm

» Ian Evans BHW Letter
Finally got some! Emptyby Knackered Today at 1:17 am

» birds on loan
Finally got some! Emptyby Knackered Today at 12:40 am

» photo of Morgan
Finally got some! Emptyby Knackered Today at 12:20 am

» Hotting up in the Middle East
Finally got some! Emptyby David Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:35 pm

» Homing World Stud Book
Finally got some! Emptyby George & Morgan Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:46 am

» York Road & District Results 2024
Finally got some! Emptyby David Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:39 am

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) Finally got some! 20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 81 users online :: 2 Registered, 0 Hidden and 79 Guests :: 2 Bots

David, George & Morgan

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.Finally got some! Resise10
Top posting users this week
George & Morgan
Finally got some! Vote_lcapFinally got some! Voting_barFinally got some! Vote_rcap 
David
Finally got some! Vote_lcapFinally got some! Voting_barFinally got some! Vote_rcap 
Knackered
barnie
oldstrain
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1296 registered users
The newest registered user is nelsa19ira

Our users have posted a total of 222408 messages in 13991 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
Finally got some! Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
Finally got some! Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

Finally got some!

Go down 
+3
Knackered
halcanada
FlyAwayHome
7 posters
AuthorMessage
FlyAwayHome
Chipping
Chipping
FlyAwayHome

Finally got some! Empty
PostSubject: Finally got some!   Finally got some! EmptyThu May 10, 2018 11:58 pm

After a long wait and a lot of thought I finally got some pigeons!

As y'all know, I was planning to trap some ferals. The building where they used to live and where I was planning to trap em was abandoned so I started looking to buy some. I was about to buy a pair for 30 bucks, when I found an ad for two fifteen-day-old squabs. Their parents had been killed by cats and the person who rescued them didn't have the time or experience to care for them. Likely not the smartest decision I've made but I took them. cheers Right now I'm feeding them chick starter mixed with water, every six hours. Is this correct or not so much? Do I have to let their crops empty between feedings or can I leave it to empty during the night and not worry about it during the day? How full is too full - can you feel it? My biggest fear right now is over-feeding them...

TIA and I'll post some pics as soon as my camera quits acting up cheers
Back to top Go down
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

Finally got some! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Finally got some!   Finally got some! EmptyFri May 11, 2018 1:21 am

Feed them all they will eat. To tame them later restrict the feed.
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

Finally got some! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Finally got some!   Finally got some! EmptyFri May 11, 2018 3:40 am

FlyAwayHome wrote:

As y'all know, I was planning to trap some ferals. The building where they used to live and where I was planning to trap em was abandoned so I started looking to buy some. I was about to buy a pair for 30 bucks, when I found an ad for two fifteen-day-old squabs. Their parents had been killed by cats and the person who rescued them didn't have the time or experience to care for them. Likely not the smartest decision I've made but I took them. cheers Right now I'm feeding them chick starter mixed with water, every six hours. Is this correct or not so much? Do I have to let their crops empty between feedings or can I leave it to empty during the night and not worry about it during the day? How full is too full - can you feel it? My biggest fear right now is over-feeding them...

One small step there etc I suggest Fly away Smile Smile. Pellets & the way you are feeding is OK. But peas as such or the like would be better I suggest, as they need they protein factor to grow at a rapid rate type of thing, especially when being hand raised. The night time scenario, just keep them in a warm type environment Wink Wink inside your house & then tuck them up with a water bottle, wrapped in a towel for company Smile Smile. Now  Rolling Eyes  Rolling Eyes best pigeon I ever owned  bounce  bounce was a pigeon my daughters took a fancy to in the race loft etc. Hand raised in the kitchen here by all the family with much love & attention till she grew into an adult type of thing. Called Piepa, lived to around 17 years of age, fortunately & for those 17 years she always thought her home base was our kitchen as such  Smile  Smile & every time we opened the windows, she thought she had the right  lol!  lol!  lol! would you believe, to pop in for a chat & a cup of tea & a cake as such  Wink  Wink. cheers
Back to top Go down
FlyAwayHome
Chipping
Chipping
FlyAwayHome

Finally got some! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Finally got some!   Finally got some! EmptyFri May 11, 2018 4:07 am

Knackered wrote:
FlyAwayHome wrote:

One small step there etc I suggest Fly away Smile Smile. Pellets & the way you are feeding is OK. But peas as such or the like would be better I suggest, as they need they protein factor to grow at a rapid rate type of thing, especially when being hand raised. The night time scenario, just keep them in a warm type environment Wink Wink inside your house & then tuck them up with a water bottle, wrapped in a towel for company Smile Smile. Now  Rolling Eyes  Rolling Eyes best pigeon I ever owned  bounce  bounce was a pigeon my daughters took a fancy to in the race loft etc. Hand raised in the kitchen here by all the family with much love & attention till she grew into an adult type of thing. Called Piepa, lived to around 17 years of age, fortunately & for those 17 years she always thought her home base was our kitchen as such  Smile  Smile & every time we opened the windows, she thought she had the right  lol!  lol!  lol! would you believe, to pop in for a chat & a cup of tea & a cake as such  Wink  Wink. cheers

Lol, Piepa sounds very... annoyingly cute? Laughing

So I am keeping them in the house (I was sooo surprised when my mom was OK with that Laughing) and I have a hot water bottle constantly under half of the box so they can move away from the heat if they want. Is this enough as far as heat during the night goes?

I'll get some frozen peas (I have canned ones but I hear they're not so good) and what else should I feed regarding seeds/vegetables? How does a mix of corn, barley, oats and peas sound?
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

Finally got some! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Finally got some!   Finally got some! EmptyFri May 11, 2018 7:58 am

I use dried peas and soak them in water for 24/48 hours if I want to feed a older squab or syringewith a tube and mashed up chicken pellets for younger squabs but at 15 days they should take the peas no problem but make sure they are well soaked not mushy but nice and plump where they have taken moisture on I also syringe 20 mil of water after each feed and this seems to be enough water intake for the squabs to ...just the way I do it here, good luck
Back to top Go down
FlyAwayHome
Chipping
Chipping
FlyAwayHome

Finally got some! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Finally got some!   Finally got some! EmptySun Jun 03, 2018 4:56 am

Okay, so first off, it's been a while! My good 'ol computer has been acting up once again. *sigh*

Anyway, the pigeons are now roughly five weeks old! They've been doing really well and eating a lot. I moved them outside to a chicken-barn-turned-loft as soon as they started fly/hopping around my mom's kitchen. Laughing They can fly pretty well by now as long as they have something that they're aiming at. I haven't let them fly outside the loft so far.

I am also planning on getting a couple button quail in the near future - they'll be living on the ground of the loft.
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

Finally got some! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Finally got some!   Finally got some! EmptySun Jun 03, 2018 9:28 am

FlyAwayHome wrote:
Okay, so first off, it's been a while! My good 'ol computer has been acting up once again. *sigh*

Anyway, the pigeons are now roughly five weeks old! They've been doing really well and eating a lot. I moved them outside to a chicken-barn-turned-loft as soon as they started fly/hopping around my mom's kitchen. Laughing They can fly pretty well by now as long as they have something that they're aiming at. I haven't let them fly outside the loft so far.

I am also planning on getting a couple button quail in the near future - they'll be living on the ground of the loft.
Terrific Fly Away Smile Smile all looking good etc bounce bounce & mum on the happy side also now lol! lol! lol! I suggest Smile Smile.  cheers
Back to top Go down
barnie
Youngbird
Youngbird
barnie

Finally got some! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Finally got some!   Finally got some! EmptySun Jun 03, 2018 9:42 am

Good luck with your birds. Well done on rearing them yourself, I guess they're very tame now. You need to think about getting them outside soon, when you're ready to try,  have them miss a feed beforehand and a light feed even before the missed one, you'll learn how to control them through feeding. Also maybe put them out on a evening is best one thing on their mind is food and perch for the night. Also good if they be been able to see the outside world become familiar with surroundings.
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

Finally got some! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Finally got some!   Finally got some! EmptySun Jun 03, 2018 10:58 am

good luck with the young birds some good advice from barnie there ...hope much fun is had with them atb
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

Finally got some! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Finally got some!   Finally got some! EmptyMon Jun 04, 2018 9:49 am

good luck with your birds fly away... cheers
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

Finally got some! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Finally got some!   Finally got some! EmptySat Sep 08, 2018 3:30 am

David wrote:
good luck with your birds fly away... cheers
Same, same Smile Smile just curious Fly Away etc Wink Wink as it's been a while here about any info on your little flock there Smile  Smile & so  bounce  bounce any update on your little champs there as such for us all here. cheers
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

Finally got some! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Finally got some!   Finally got some! EmptySat Sep 08, 2018 9:32 am

Used the same as oldstrain soaked beans and peas nothing else, no problem.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
http://albertrosbottom35@outlook.com
Sponsored content

Finally got some! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Finally got some!   Finally got some! Empty

Back to top Go down

Finally got some!
Page 1 of 1