Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  UK Pigeon SalesUK Pigeon Sales  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» Weather today
by David Today at 10:00 am

» Old friend back.
by markevans Today at 9:35 am

» Ray Peel Happy Birthday.
by peel bros Yesterday at 10:34 pm

» RPRA Forum Syndicate 2019.
by barnie Yesterday at 10:03 pm

» Anyone interested
by Knackered Yesterday at 9:18 pm

» Building an Immunity
by oldstrain Yesterday at 10:21 am

» 2018 Shows....
by Lofty Yesterday at 10:06 am

» A Big Thank You to Darren
by peel bros Yesterday at 8:08 am

» When will the PC madness end?
by Knackered Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:51 am

Forum Syndicate
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
Who is online?
In total there are 32 users online :: 2 Registered, 0 Hidden and 30 Guests :: 1 Bot

David, johnnorm2

Most users ever online was 144 on Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:37 am
Bucktons 2017 Calendar
Pigeon World Forum, Fancier of the Year Trophy.
Top posting users this week
Knackered

oldstrain

David

MISTY

markevans

fieldwalker

peel bros

halcanada

Lofty

Daz

Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1154 registered users
The newest registered user is Geordie79

Our users have posted a total of 172005 messages in 11336 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
John Gibbs young pied/grizzle winner.
Top posters
David

Don Webb

oldstrain

IANYOUNG

peel bros

Knackered

Gaz b

birdy2011

Rene A

halcanada

Share | 

pairing pigeons

Go down 
AuthorMessage
denise washington
Chipping
Chipping

PostSubject: pairing pigeons    Fri May 11, 2018 1:37 pm

just a little Q do pigeons pair for life or can you swap them around reason im asking i have birds laying all over show but cant find out whos with who got all nest boxes done now and want to get them in
thanks denise
Back to top Go down
View user profile
David
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: pairing pigeons    Fri May 11, 2018 2:16 pm

hi denise, I suppose if left alone they will stay together, although I have had pigeons re pair them selves to someone else, of their own accord ..........if they have laid on the floor, they wont take to the boxes and sit the same eggs once moved.

for now you will have to leave the pairs who have laid on the floor, if you want them to hatch.....and put the pairs who havnt laid yet in the boxes .

you can re pair them if you want, but ive always found it hard if they are still in the same loft as their ex partner.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
denise washington
Chipping
Chipping

PostSubject: Re: pairing pigeons    Fri May 11, 2018 5:00 pm

thanks for that david but my pigeons are playing silly buggers 1 pair i have she has laid 2 sets of eggs hes sitting one and shes on others then on a night they swap round the stupid sods lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MISTY
Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Re: pairing pigeons    Fri May 11, 2018 8:03 pm

denise,

I am unaware of exactly what you want to do with your pigeons, are you just having the pleasure of keeping them, which to my mind can be reward enough, or are you going to have a go at racing etc;

If the former I would just let them do their own thing they are better at sorting matters out in a loft than we are if left alone.

If you put nest bowls in all the boxes and there is nesting material available then in the majority of cases, if there are enough boxes they will choose these, but there are exceptions and those that choose otherwise I have always found to be intelligent individuals and at times too late.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://albertrosbottom35@outlook.com
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: pairing pigeons    Sat May 12, 2018 1:50 am

denise washington wrote:
thanks for that david but my pigeons are playing silly buggers 1 pair i have she has laid 2 sets of eggs hes sitting one and shes on others then on a night they swap round the stupid sods lol
Smile Smile Stupid maybe Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes but it appears they keep themselves busy, busy etc Denise & happy, happy I would say Smile Smile so wouldn't worry all that much about the situation you have there. Eventually they will sort it all out I suggest in their own way & it's for me an example Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes once again, of pigeons bounce bounce not doing what the text book suggests they should be doing etc Wink Wink. cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
barnie
Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Re: pairing pigeons    Sat May 12, 2018 8:22 am

denise washington wrote:
Hi Denise, sounds like you might haveĀ  2 hens paired together, if there's 4 eggs. You'll be able to hold them up against light if they're empty then you'll know.
Might not be a bad thing, stops you getting too many birds if you need to manage numbers. Best wishes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
denise washington
Chipping
Chipping

PostSubject: Re: pairing pigeons    Sat May 12, 2018 11:32 am

Think i will just put a red light in for them if you get what i mean lot of loose women and happy cocks lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: pairing pigeons    Sat May 12, 2018 11:33 am

next breeding season denise I would allow the cocks to have the box section a few months prior to pairing so they claim a box just put the same amount of cocks in the box section as you have boxes then when the time comes introduce the correct amount of hens to cocks and let them pick their own mates ,it sounds as though you have a bit of a merry go round at the moment due to extra cocks or hens in the breeding section atb
Back to top Go down
View user profile
denise washington
Chipping
Chipping

PostSubject: Re: pairing pigeons    Sat May 12, 2018 12:37 pm

oldstrain wrote:
next breeding season denise I would allow the cocks to have the box section a few months prior to pairing so they claim a box just put the same amount of cocks in the box section as you have boxes then when the time comes introduce the correct amount of hens to cocks and let them pick their own mates ,it sounds as though you have a bit of a merry go round at the moment due to extra cocks or hens in the breeding section atb
Thats probs oldstrain got more cocks than hens got another loft so im thinking of putting some cocke in there till i get them paired up right and put my young birds with them would that be better
thanks denise
Back to top Go down
View user profile
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: pairing pigeons    Sat May 12, 2018 12:57 pm

the older cocks would need to be separate from the ybs imo....older hens and ybs are fine but not the cocks...can you not make a partition out of some battens or gather some for sale signs and use the corrugated sheeting off them and apply them to a wood frame and a hinged door pirat
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: pairing pigeons    

Back to top Go down

pairing pigeons
Page 1 of 1