Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» Good Morning
Sort out weekend.  Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 10:21 am

» Weather today
Sort out weekend.  Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 8:51 am

» sorting birds out
Sort out weekend.  Emptyby David Yesterday at 11:33 am

» new rules from Defra
Sort out weekend.  Emptyby David Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:30 pm

» RPRA Auction ........
Sort out weekend.  Emptyby David Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:40 pm

» overnight and multiple nights basket
Sort out weekend.  Emptyby Knackered Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:21 pm

» Loft Location
Sort out weekend.  Emptyby David Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:43 pm

» RPRA , WHAT DO THEY DO ?
Sort out weekend.  Emptyby David Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:43 am

» RPRA Auction
Sort out weekend.  Emptyby David Sun Mar 17, 2024 2:04 pm

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) Sort out weekend.  20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 97 users online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 96 Guests :: 2 Bots

George & Morgan

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.Sort out weekend.  Resise10
Top posting users this week
George & Morgan
Sort out weekend.  Vote_lcapSort out weekend.  Voting_barSort out weekend.  Vote_rcap 
David
Sort out weekend.  Vote_lcapSort out weekend.  Voting_barSort out weekend.  Vote_rcap 
oldstrain
Knackered
barnie
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1293 registered users
The newest registered user is Meddy78

Our users have posted a total of 221952 messages in 13972 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
Sort out weekend.  Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
Sort out weekend.  Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

Sort out weekend.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

Sort out weekend.  Empty
PostSubject: Sort out weekend.    Sort out weekend.  EmptyMon Jul 02, 2018 2:01 am

6 home yesterday. 6 am others started to come. 23 sent 19 back. As of 6 pm tonight. May send hens to 320 this coming race but debatable. Have enough to fly next year without young birds also. The usual good ones were here. Tomorrow buy a sheet of plywood. Add 6 more boxes to the OB 18 box loft. Move birds over. Fly out of 3 now. Move birds. Few to stock, others to OB loft. Then demolish old 24x 8 loft. Not the 8 x 8 young bird one just yet. After YB is over will do so. Then build a 12 x 6. YB's and widowhood hens. Flying to the nest is no longer an option for me. 24 widowhood cocks for next year. Have to change my thinking. Also no more deep litter as such. Will train as needed. Yes, reversing many years of previous beleifs. But yesterday was an eye opener! Pigeons are good, management not good this year. Times are changing here.
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

Sort out weekend.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sort out weekend.    Sort out weekend.  EmptyMon Jul 02, 2018 5:43 am

halcanada wrote:
6 home yesterday. 6 am others started to come. 23 sent 19 back. As of 6 pm tonight. May send hens to 320 this coming race but debatable. Have enough to fly next year without young birds also. The usual good ones were here. Tomorrow buy a sheet of plywood. Add 6 more boxes to the OB 18 box loft. Move birds over. Fly out of 3 now. Move birds. Few to stock, others to OB loft. Then demolish old 24x 8 loft. Not the 8 x 8 young bird one just yet. After YB is over will do so. Then build a 12 x 6. YB's and widowhood hens. Flying to the nest is no longer an option for me. 24 widowhood cocks for next year. Have to change my thinking. Also no more deep litter as such. Will train as needed. Yes, reversing many years of previous beleifs. But yesterday was an eye opener!  Pigeons are good, management not good this year. Times are changing here.
Your agenda appears busy busy Hal Smile Smile with what you have planned etc I suggest. Wish I had your energy as such Wink Wink but not to be for this old fella I'm  affraid  bounce bounce lol! lol! lol! as I require all my energy now Smile Smile just to put my socks on of a morning Smile Smile. cheers
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

Sort out weekend.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sort out weekend.    Sort out weekend.  EmptyMon Jul 02, 2018 9:50 am

Do not blame you for changing to widowhood etc; you cannot obviously with your weather conditions etc; give your pigeons 24 hours freedom and a half and half system is not going to work.

But that does not mean that a properly managed open hole natural system cannot beat the widow hood, it is done every week, but those using just get on with it and let the others spend their money on all kinds of rubbish to keep often unhealthy pigeons alive and have no idea which are naturally healthy and which are propped up and they wonder why they lose nearly all their pigeons every year.

If everyone in a club is flying widowhood then obviously a widowhood pigeon will win.

As for deep litter, it depends entirely on what is used, I used sand and lime, the same for over 40 years by just adding lime when necessary, I had no ill pigeons and they did all I asked of them or wanted at both racing and showing

For every fancier who says one thing there will be another who can give an opposite view and feel it as valid as any other, there are many ways to achieve ones aims, mine has been, pigeon first, me second.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
http://albertrosbottom35@outlook.com
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

Sort out weekend.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sort out weekend.    Sort out weekend.  EmptyTue Jul 03, 2018 1:25 am

I agree. Deep litter for the young birds will stay. Builds immunity. Birds as mentioned are good. 1st and 4th father and son. Also 2nd and 5th. All but one back by Sunday. Easy to pick the keepers. Do plan to do as intended.
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

Sort out weekend.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sort out weekend.    Sort out weekend.  EmptyThu Jul 05, 2018 1:15 am

halcanada wrote:
I agree. Deep litter for the young birds will stay. Builds immunity. Birds as mentioned are good. 1st and 4th father and son. Also 2nd and 5th. All but one back by Sunday. Easy to pick the keepers. Do plan to do as intended.
Was thinking about the deep litter issue down here Hal Smile Smile in regards to the Rota virus issue we have here unfortunately & wondered often when you hear many of the drama's attached to some lofts with it, if they were on the deep litter side or of the clean, clean brigade type of thing. Even had a bloke Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes recently ring me up for some advise with it as such Wink Wink. Suggested he ring up the local Vet here bounce bounce but he fired back at me lol! lol! lol! the blokes an absolute clown Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes on the issue Smile Smile & he wouldn't waste 10 cents on a phone call Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Smile Smile. cheers
Back to top Go down
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

Sort out weekend.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sort out weekend.    Sort out weekend.  EmptyThu Jul 05, 2018 1:25 am

Immunity build up is important!! First year definitely! Should not be many problems later.
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

Sort out weekend.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sort out weekend.    Sort out weekend.  EmptyThu Jul 05, 2018 5:48 pm

The vets make money out of ill animals not pefectly healthy ones.

I feel the immune system is built up year on year the perents passing on a stronger immune system year on year.

If you start attempting to do so with a lot of unknown pigeons regarding their present situation regarding immunity and attempt to increase it by natural means you can expect to have some disappointments, also the loss of the propped up pigeons.

Fanciers try something and expect overnight results and then change again to some other trumped up system.

Rome was not built in a day nor is the immune syatem.

Regards.

Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

Sort out weekend.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sort out weekend.    Sort out weekend.  EmptyFri Jul 06, 2018 1:15 am

MISTY wrote:
The vets make money out of ill animals not pefectly healthy ones.

I feel the immune system is built up year on year the perents passing on a stronger immune system year on year.

If you start attempting to do so with a lot of unknown pigeons regarding their  present situation regarding immunity and attempt to increase it by natural means you can expect to have some disappointments, also the loss of the propped up pigeons.

Fanciers try something and expect overnight results and then change again to some other trumped up system.

Rome was not built in a day nor is the immune syatem.

Regards.

Much sense in what you say Misty Smile Smile But Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad I could name a few Vet's bounce that do their darnest etc Wink Wink to make money out of healthy birds as such Smile Smile. cheers
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

Sort out weekend.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sort out weekend.    Sort out weekend.  EmptyFri Jul 06, 2018 4:30 pm

Knackered,
In the Cage and Aviary publication not so long ago there was a report regarding a parrot taken into the vets for an examination as it was not looking too well.

The vets report sated it had been subjected to numerous different processes none of which showed any adverse health problems and just to give it a basic conditioner.

Bill £3,500.

I do not know if the owner had agreed to what happened but I doubt it.

We had a border collie that developed having fits, the vet said it needed tablets every day, cost £35.00 a fortnight which my wife paid for four years, but stoped bacause the collie refused food when it new the tablets were in it and it from then on had less fits.

We could have got the tablets for less than a third of the price from a pharmacy but you needed a prescription from the vet, the vet would only supply one once a fortnight and of course for £20.00.

Not all vets are the same bur too many know how much people love their pets and use them as a cash cow.

Read anything to do with animals and nearly every one mentions going to the vet ????. as often as possible including the pigeron freternity who would be better off having healthy pigeons instead of propped up ones.

Regards.

Back to top Go down
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

Sort out weekend.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sort out weekend.    Sort out weekend.  EmptyFri Jul 06, 2018 4:37 pm

Well said.
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

Sort out weekend.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sort out weekend.    Sort out weekend.  EmptySat Jul 07, 2018 1:24 am

halcanada wrote:
Well said.
Smile Smile Experience talking I suggest Hal Wink Wink Politicians Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes & Vets Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad all come out of the same mould etc from my perspective Smile Smile.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Sort out weekend.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sort out weekend.    Sort out weekend.  Empty

Back to top Go down

Sort out weekend.
Page 1 of 1