Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  UK Pigeon SalesUK Pigeon Sales  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» Weather today
by markevans Today at 2:00 pm

» US million dollar race.
by Knackered Today at 1:28 am

» Weed wackers.
by MISTY Yesterday at 10:57 pm

» 2018 Shows....
by oldstrain Yesterday at 5:35 pm

» Missed shot.
by MISTY Yesterday at 9:35 am

» Credit where Due !!!.
by Daz Yesterday at 8:38 am

» Nehu show. Anyone going
by fieldwalker Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:22 am

» Eye sign indicator.
by halcanada Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:05 am

» Seperation time.
by fieldwalker Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:54 am

Forum Syndicate
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
Who is online?
In total there are 28 users online :: 2 Registered, 0 Hidden and 26 Guests :: 2 Bots

Briant, David

Most users ever online was 144 on Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:37 am
Bucktons 2017 Calendar
Pigeon World Forum, Fancier of the Year Trophy.
Top posting users this week
Knackered

David

fieldwalker

halcanada

MISTY

Daz

markevans

Lofty

oldstrain

peel bros

Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1149 registered users
The newest registered user is sell4bidssss

Our users have posted a total of 171289 messages in 11295 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
John Gibbs young pied/grizzle winner.
Top posters
David

Don Webb

oldstrain

IANYOUNG

peel bros

Knackered

Gaz b

birdy2011

Rene A

Alex

Share | 

Culling birds.

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird

PostSubject: Culling birds.    Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:45 am

This will be a difficult year for me. But have to do it. Just so many to get rid of. A few are obvious. So have to go by results back to the loft. Harder when flying to the nest as some times they miss then hit. 40 plus young to fly and perhaps 10 I will keep. So have to push them. Then breeders. Oh well has to be done.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lofty
Youngbird
Youngbird

PostSubject: Re: Culling birds.    Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:29 am

It’s difficult Hal, like you say some will hit one week then miss the next, just so hard to start thinning them out
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MISTY
Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Re: Culling birds.    Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:47 am

This is the part of the sport I realy detested, but you cannot keep more pigeons than the loft can house in comfort, and I always had more than 15 spare perches.

The more you breed the more you will have to cull and it is not until the yearling stage that one can, under normal circumstances, determine which is going to be a benefit to the loft, but to over crowd is not a good thing.

Using the natural system, and open loft, meant breeding more than one wanted and later throughout the racing season, but I did not ring the later ones to save me from being tempted to keep those that looked like champions.

One can only go by instinct and a pigeons performance but there are late developers and any number of factors involved that makes culling both heart breaking and a potential mine field, how many potential champions have been culled????.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://albertrosbottom35@outlook.com
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: Culling birds.    Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:19 pm

MISTY wrote:
This is the part of the sport I realy detested, but you cannot keep more pigeons than the loft can house in comfort, and I always had  more than 15 spare perches.

The more you breed the more you will have to cull and it is not until the yearling stage that one can, under normal circumstances, determine which is going to be a benefit to the loft, but to over crowd is not a good thing.

Using the natural system, and open loft, meant breeding more than one wanted and later throughout the racing season, but I did not ring the later ones to save me from being tempted to keep those that looked like champions.

One can only go by instinct and a pigeons performance but there are late developers and any number of factors involved that makes culling both heart breaking and a potential mine field, how many potential champions have been culled????.

Regards.    

what happened to the late breds with no rings misty
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MISTY
Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Re: Culling birds.    Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:45 pm

oldstrain,
Some were given to friends who fancied them without rings the others were unfortunately culled.

All fanciers have to cull certain pigeons for numerous reasons it is all part of the sport, and any sport that involves animals does the same.

Greyhound racing being the best example.

Before the vaccination I would eat the young ones.

What matters to me more than anything is giving those that I do keep the best natural life and not treat them like Robots.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: Culling birds.    Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:07 pm

ive far too many birds, probably need to reduce by half......I suppose it gets to this stage with not racing, therefor keeping numbers down, thing is I havnt kept / bred any ybs for my self for years, just the ones I had got old and no good for racing........ Crying or Very sad

I think I need to make a big pie Razz Razz cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: Culling birds.    Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:55 pm

MISTY wrote:
oldstrain,
            Some were given to friends who fancied them without rings the others were unfortunately culled.

All fanciers have to cull certain pigeons for numerous reasons it is all part of the sport, and any sport that involves animals does the same.

Greyhound racing being the best example.

Before the vaccination I would eat the young ones.

What matters to me more than anything is giving those that I do keep the best natural life and not treat them like Robots.            

Regards.

thanks for the reply quite surprised you bred ybs just for motivation and then be culled but each to his own much like me with my widowhood its not everyones cup of tea ,glass houses and stones spring to mind Smile atb
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Daz
Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Re: Culling birds.    Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:58 pm

Mr basket is the referee.
Yardsticks always all important. First one, earn their' perch flying to. Then nest boxes. Niether nest boxes or perches ever added. ... Fly celebacy next year.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MISTY
Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Re: Culling birds.    Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:52 pm

oldstrain

With the complete natural system you have to keep them natural, with young and old birds together they behave as a complete family and that in it's self is usually motivation enough to want them to return as quickly as possible, but different pigeons become more keen at different stages of the life cycle and if you want to take advantage then you have to attempt to get the ones you want for certain races in that state which involves breeding nearly all the time.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird

PostSubject: Re: Culling birds.    Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:14 am

One of my biggest reasons for cutting down is the club president. Old , 83, Belgian guy. Fed winner every year. The clubhouse is on his property. He dies the club may go under. The next club I could join is an hour 40 minutes away. I will not do over a 3 hour drive on shipping night then clock off. If the worst happens will send to some open races and eliminate most of the pigeons. Hoping he lives to 100!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: Culling birds.    Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:54 am

MISTY wrote:
oldstrain

With the complete natural system you have to keep them natural, with young and old birds together they behave as a complete family and that in it's self is usually motivation enough to want them to return as quickly as possible, but different pigeons become more keen at different stages of the life cycle and if you want to take advantage then you have to attempt to get the ones you want for certain races in that state which involves breeding nearly all the time.

Regards.

yes I get all the above but your missing the point ...we all fly the way WE want OURSELVES and comments like widowhood is cruel carry no weight whatsoever when your culling ybs for motivation ...I would never criticise someones system as they may see holes in mine ...to quote a previous comment "if only the pigeon could speak" well yes indeed misty indeed ...atb Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Daz
Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Re: Culling birds.    Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:59 am

True Old Strain… But then many systems and ways are purposed for the distances and races that one wishes to succeed at.
Obviously horses for courses adage is very prevalent for pigeons regards Distances etc.. Fact is carbs last for 15 - 20 minutes tops.  pigeons fly on fat... then sadly on the unit of heats from their muscles. Which cause toxin poison etc.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: Culling birds.    Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:57 pm

yes very true daz regards feed I don't like distance racing a 1 day race is enough for me in fact 400 miles would be enough for me but if guys want to race the extreme distances who I am to say whether its cruel or not because at the end of the day if you race pigeons it don't matter how their will always be arguments for and against each system but to call widowhood cruel is a bit extreme in the circumstances of racing pigeons in general of which has been said before
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Daz
Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Re: Culling birds.    Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:21 pm

' ...........but to call widowhood cruel is a bit extreme in the circumstances of racing pigeons in general of which has been said before …..'

Don't know about being cruel personally. A time and place for such. Celibacy is a very good system. Widowerhood or widowhood have been very successful for sure.
I personally wouldn't for a moment say cruel. Most are Mated season end - if flown well to bolster or supplement any lossses. J.M.O.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: Culling birds.    Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:17 pm

mine have got their hens now and have stock eggs under them which they can rear as they are being given away to a new starter ...I am very interested in celibacy but did like the widow which I tried for the first time last old bird season after being on roundabout and natural and prefer the widow to these systems of racing...as with a young family time is important atb
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MISTY
Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Re: Culling birds.    Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:12 pm

oldstrain, I do not remember having said any system is cruel, but I know for sure I am glad I have never been on widowhood, never mind the pigeons.

If a system suits you, you pay the bills, it is legal, then it is personal choice, and nothing to do with anyone else.

However, it is just as legitimate for another fancier to feel it is not to his/her taste.

Under many fanciers circumstances it is the only viable choice and this I understand.

We should not be bickering amongst ourselves but trying to formulate possible solutions to the problems presently affecting the sport.

I know you are personally doing all you can but we need a concerted effort by every fancier.

Regards..

Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: Culling birds.    Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:26 pm

MISTY wrote:
oldstrain, I do not remember having said any system is cruel, but I know for sure I am glad I have never been on widowhood, never mind the pigeons.

If a system suits you, you pay  the bills, it is legal, then it is personal choice, and nothing to do with anyone else.

However, it is just as legitimate for another fancier to feel it is not to his/her taste.

Under many fanciers circumstances it is the only viable choice and this I understand.

We should not be bickering amongst ourselves but trying to formulate possible solutions to the problems presently affecting the sport.

I know you are personally doing all you can but we need a concerted effort by every fancier.

Regards..

totally agree misty atb
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: Culling birds.    Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:58 am

oldstrain wrote:
MISTY wrote:
oldstrain

Regards.

yes I get all the above but your missing the point ...we all fly the way WE want OURSELVES and comments like widowhood is cruel carry no weight whatsoever when your culling ybs for motivation ...I would never criticise someones system as they may see holes in mine ...to quote a previous comment "if only the pigeon could speak" well yes indeed misty indeed ...atb Smile  
Cruel is Wink Wink what one imagines I suspect Smile Smile to deny we have a cruel factor attached with our sport is some what denying the obvious to some degree. But bounce bounce is killing a cow/pig/sheep for human consumption or race a grey hound/race horse etc any different, as they all have the same cruel element attached I would suggest at times. cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Daz
Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Re: Culling birds.    Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:27 am

Often insane and baseless. A typical example, as far as I am concerned.
Was a circus who had camels etc. So once they have them run a race around a horse track. The 'Animal Rights' brigade blocked roads and banner waving protests ensued.
The circus suffered drastically as the badgered customers trying to take their kids to the circus.

Now it isn't rocket science to realise that as Camels race else where in other countries, often against horses and heavily laddened travel miles upon end even the desert that a circuit around a Race course makes nonsense of this.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MISTY
Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Re: Culling birds.    Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:41 am

Daz,
One man's meat etc;

To one person even the least little thing can become cruel in their eyes, it is all a matter of how one considers the matter in question.

But do not worry, before long the pc brigade, usually made up of the most abnormal people possible will be attempting to ban everything other than that which they indulge in.

If you consider the world as a whole and cruelty to animals (based on what one finds cruel in their eyes) it would drive you mad, SACRED COWS?????.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird

PostSubject: Re: Culling birds.    Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:28 am

Animal activiists are ruining every sport. Even kids sports. Caterpillar racing. Now frowned on. Same as Ladybug racing. Caterpillars because a lighted Woodbine was put near their butt. Same with Ladybugs. But they did have one wing pulled off. Now they are heavy on Tick Taxis. Idea is to get the ticks off the dogs and place on your body. Two hours later the ticks are removed. The ones that have sucked up the most blood are the winners! Of course one has to squish them first to check the amount of blood. Poor critters die. What is the world coming to?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: Culling birds.    Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:19 am

halcanada wrote:
Animal activiists are ruining every sport. Even kids sports. Caterpillar racing. Now frowned on. Same as Ladybug racing. Caterpillars because a lighted Woodbine was put near their butt. Same with Ladybugs. But they did have one wing pulled off. Now they are heavy on Tick Taxis. Idea is to get the ticks off the dogs and place on your body. Two hours later the ticks are removed. The ones that have sucked up the most blood are the winners! Of course one has to squish them first to check the amount of blood. Poor critters die. What is the world coming to?
Bunch of plonkers most of them Hal Wink Wink on average. Latest one here Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes The do gooder mob bounce bounce are up in arms with Subway (fast food chain) for being a sponsor of kids sport etc. gambling/betting OK Wink Wink but we carn't have the toddlers being corrupted by a bit of lettuce & cheese from Subway Smile Smile type of thing. cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
David
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: Culling birds.    Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:51 pm

I think humans are becoming more and more cruel to animals in general, there are those who shouldn't have a dog, or cat, horse or any domestic pet, who not only have no idea how to look after them, but those who blatantly abuse them.....then we have the ritual slaughter of halal and kosha , which in my opinion should be banned in this country.

it seems these do gooder types tend to look the other way with the above, and go for the easy politically correct targets.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird

PostSubject: Re: Culling birds.    Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:23 pm

Some are too kind. Friend of mine has a German Shepherd. The dog wandered off. Hour later came back with a dirty dead rabbit in its mouth, dead. She noticed it was the neighbors rabbit. She got all upset. Washed it and blew it dry then snuck it back in the nieghbours cage. Later the neighbour asked her "Did you know my rabbit died?" "No. What happened to it?"
"Died a natural death few days ago. We buried it. Some sick bugger dug it up, washed and dried it and put it back in its cage!"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
David
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: Culling birds.    Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:41 pm

halcanada wrote:
Some are too kind. Friend of mine has a German Shepherd. The dog wandered off. Hour later came back with a dirty dead rabbit in its mouth, dead. She noticed it was the neighbors rabbit. She got all upset. Washed it and blew it dry then snuck it back in the nieghbours cage. Later the neighbour asked her "Did you know my rabbit died?" "No. What happened to it?"
"Died a natural death few days ago. We buried it. Some sick bugger dug it up, washed and dried it and put it back in its cage!"

lol! lol! lol! sums things up perfectly there hal........... lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Culling birds.    

Back to top Go down

Culling birds.
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next