Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» escaped birds return
What a disaster  Emptyby George & Morgan Yesterday at 7:59 pm

» Weather today
What a disaster  Emptyby George & Morgan Yesterday at 11:44 am

» Good Morning
What a disaster  Emptyby George & Morgan Yesterday at 11:42 am

» King removes Patronage
What a disaster  Emptyby George & Morgan Tue May 07, 2024 7:21 pm

» Leeds & District Amalgamation
What a disaster  Emptyby George & Morgan Mon May 06, 2024 4:58 pm

» York Road & District Results 2024
What a disaster  Emptyby David Mon May 06, 2024 4:53 pm

» Scandalous .......
What a disaster  Emptyby Knackered Sun May 05, 2024 7:31 am

» yb national winner
What a disaster  Emptyby George & Morgan Sat May 04, 2024 9:30 am

» good luck weekend
What a disaster  Emptyby Knackered Thu May 02, 2024 9:16 am

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) What a disaster  20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 87 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 87 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.What a disaster  Resise10
Top posting users this week
George & Morgan
What a disaster  Vote_lcapWhat a disaster  Voting_barWhat a disaster  Vote_rcap 
David
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1297 registered users
The newest registered user is tharunjohar50

Our users have posted a total of 222742 messages in 14003 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
What a disaster  Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
What a disaster  Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

What a disaster

Go down 
+3
David
Daz
peel bros
7 posters
AuthorMessage
peel bros
Oldbird
Oldbird
peel bros

What a disaster  Empty
PostSubject: What a disaster    What a disaster  EmptySun Aug 19, 2018 1:28 pm

Should have won yesterday but our system stopped working. Our first 20 birds didn't register..that's 3 races we could have won with ybs out of 3 but bad trapping and clock malfunction has cost us ..roll on next week lol
Back to top Go down
Daz
Youngbird
Youngbird

What a disaster  Empty
PostSubject: Re: What a disaster    What a disaster  EmptySun Aug 19, 2018 1:53 pm

peel bros wrote:
Should have won yesterday but our system stopped working. Our first 20 birds didn't register.. Rolling Eyes that's 3 races we could have won with ybs out of 3 but bad trapping and clock malfunction has cost us ..roll on next week lol

I understand … I think …. why there isn't a back up clock allowed. Other than that you have to send a 'Runner' to another loft. I remember having to do that when I had no clock at all. Good old days ! Smile Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

What a disaster  Empty
PostSubject: Re: What a disaster    What a disaster  EmptySun Aug 19, 2018 2:00 pm

Daz wrote:
peel bros wrote:
Should have won yesterday but our system stopped working. Our first 20 birds didn't register.. Rolling Eyes that's 3 races we could have won with ybs out of 3 but bad trapping and clock malfunction has cost us ..roll on next week lol

I understand … I think …. why there isn't a back up clock allowed. Other than that you have to send a 'Runner' to another loft. I remember having to do that when I had no clock at all. Good old days ! Smile Rolling Eyes

one of the benefits of ets I rekon daz, oh sorry......I forgot, you cant run to a neighbour and register on their system lol! lol!

I`ll stick with t3.
Back to top Go down
peel bros
Oldbird
Oldbird
peel bros

What a disaster  Empty
PostSubject: Re: What a disaster    What a disaster  EmptySun Aug 19, 2018 3:14 pm

Yes I remember those times but with today's ets system it wasn't worth it , it would have took too long , but at least I know we should have won ..the sad thing is we don't even know what bird it was lol
Back to top Go down
Daz
Youngbird
Youngbird

What a disaster  Empty
PostSubject: Re: What a disaster    What a disaster  EmptySun Aug 19, 2018 5:29 pm

I remember our Sec, not so long ago, Didn't want you to phone asking 'Let Up' times! So he put them up on a Black Board on top of his fence.
said we would pay for the phone calls etc.
But no... the reason being, like me then, many hadn't a phone, so it wouldn't be fair!
BUT we knew when the bird came and clocked in! Just had to trot 3/4 of a mile to tread it lol.
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

What a disaster  Empty
PostSubject: Re: What a disaster    What a disaster  EmptySun Aug 19, 2018 9:23 pm

Oh for the days when you had to run to the only clock in the club with the rubber with the first bird back and run back for if another arrived, some engaged the fastest runners, used several other means as well.

The liberation time usualy put up in the butchers front window etc;

To have the ETS malfunction must be soul destroying after the effort put in.

If one is worried about averages etc; there should be a means of allowing some discretion when the ETS fails, and in particular if the club is in any way to blame.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
http://albertrosbottom35@outlook.com
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

What a disaster  Empty
PostSubject: Re: What a disaster    What a disaster  EmptySun Aug 19, 2018 11:01 pm

peel bros wrote:
Should have won yesterday but our system stopped working. Our first 20 birds didn't register..that's 3 races we could have won with ybs out of 3 but bad trapping and clock malfunction has cost us ..roll on next week lol

why did it stop working ray, do you know...?
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

What a disaster  Empty
PostSubject: Re: What a disaster    What a disaster  EmptyMon Aug 20, 2018 3:12 am

Daz wrote:
peel bros wrote:

lol! lol! lol! Wonderful times I suggest Daz Smile Smile Started off here Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes racing the greatest lot of mongrels one could amagine etc bounce bounce most unrung, which we just placed a rubber on their leg to clock as such. Then lol! lol! lol! had to run a 1/4 of a mile to the local railway station & the first one there won  Smile Smile. Fortunately Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes on was one the right side of the track so to speak & those on the other side were rat s***e Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad if the gates were closed with a train coming into the station even if they were there first. End of the day Smile Smile Great times for a bunch of kids back then & I just wish today was the same in our sport.  cheers
Back to top Go down
Daz
Youngbird
Youngbird

What a disaster  Empty
PostSubject: Re: What a disaster    What a disaster  EmptyMon Aug 20, 2018 11:11 am

' …. I just wish today was the same in our sport'! How so very true. I believe that- like in most club/ functions - the Spirit has been ruined and gone. Just the 'I'm alright jack# attitude and 'Win at any cost' prevails.
day when some time the result wasn't known till the Monday! Because clubs had 40 or more members and all was done by hand … Poor Sec eh!
When most, nigh all stayed behind for the leg pulls and banter!

'Talking of club spirit, I ran kids football teams … Where the Parents ruined their enjoyment with rude and aggressive attitudes. Also was a Referee ... where the Comments - often funny were aimed at me from either side constantly.

Southgate, when running the Football association academy stated the truth saying. The biggest trouble is parents thinking that they know better and more and ruin their kids but persuading them different. Also to foul and abusive behaviour.

When I boxed I was always, like other club members, feeling for out team mate. days gone and sadly never to return I'm afraid.
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

What a disaster  Empty
PostSubject: Re: What a disaster    What a disaster  EmptyMon Aug 20, 2018 3:01 pm

Working velocities out long hand and calculating the variations with a swissle stick was not a laugh a minute when some dimwit objected and thought the velocity wrong and you had to through it all with the fancier, on accepting the velocity was correct would justv say " WHOO AYE."

At times there were more that 60 fanciers involved using numerous different timers

Often the clocks were not read until Sunday but struck off on race day on a Saturday race.

There was no computers then, you worked everything out long hand, latterly we used a hand calculator.

There is no doubt that many of the old methods have been improved regarding calculating velocities but at the same time the actual spirit of the sport has been lost smewhere along the line,

Regards.

Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

What a disaster  Empty
PostSubject: Re: What a disaster    What a disaster  EmptyWed Aug 22, 2018 8:41 am

MISTY wrote:
Working velocities out long hand and calculating the variations with a swissle stick was not a laugh a minute when some dimwit objected and thought the velocity wrong and you had to  through it all with the fancier, on accepting the velocity was correct would justv say " WHOO AYE."

At times there were more that 60 fanciers involved using numerous different timers

Often the clocks were not read until Sunday but struck off on race day on a Saturday race.

There was no computers then, you worked everything out long hand, latterly we used a hand calculator.

There is no doubt that many of the old methods have been improved regarding calculating velocities but at the same time the actual spirit of the sport has been lost smewhere along the line,

Regards.
Remember the old ways Misty etc  Rolling Eyes  Rolling Eyes talk about the good old days  bounce  bounce I don't think so  lol!  lol!  lol! when one had to do the calculating as such & even today many would be lost with even the luxury of a calculator  Rolling Eyes  Rolling Eyes let alone a computor I suggest. Reminds me some what  Crying or Very sad  Crying or Very sad  Crying or Very sad of the times before GPS type of thing & one had to measure flyers up to the nearest road intersection & they were miles from any where unfortunately down here at times.  cheers  Smile  Smile we bit of a **** up by me here with my waffle  Crying or Very sad  Crying or Very sad  Crying or Very sad but once again  Rolling Eyes  Rolling Eyes I will just use the old senile seniors card trick as an exscuse  Wink  Wink.

Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

What a disaster  Empty
PostSubject: Re: What a disaster    What a disaster  EmptyWed Aug 22, 2018 9:45 am

We may be senile knackered but we have at least experienced the old and the new from almost the stone age to the nuclear age, and all between.

It has been a journey of ups and downs but woud not have missed it and changed it for the latter day situation that promises very little.

Some say they are fed up hearing of doom and gloom, I just wish they would say
where the alternative is, and give some thought to improving matters.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
barnie
Youngbird
Youngbird
barnie

What a disaster  Empty
PostSubject: Re: What a disaster    What a disaster  EmptyWed Aug 22, 2018 10:47 am

Plenty smiling faces in the BHW every week! Pages full of fanciers who, no disrespect, but look well into retirement age, must have been into pigeons over 50 years and more. They don't seem to be full of doom and gloom to me Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy .
Flying pigeons how they see fit, (more than likely widowhood and darkness) they're no mugs, they know how to fly a pigeon, win big races and enjoy the sport. Good luck to them, it's good to see happy pigeon fanciers Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

What a disaster  Empty
PostSubject: Re: What a disaster    What a disaster  EmptyWed Aug 22, 2018 11:40 am

The old boys know how to make the best of a bad job, we have had plenty of practice over the years.

Why do you think the sport is on it's last legs unless the I'm Alright Jacks get their fingers out and come up with some ideas to save the sport in any meaningful manner.

Do you actually think everything in the garden is rosey and one should not attempt to stop the rot?.

To say that one should not address the problems, make a clear statement as to the problems and attempt to get fanciers off their contented back sides jn an endeavour to address them indicates clearly why the sport is on it's last legs.

I know when I am on the right track to liven things up.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

What a disaster  Empty
PostSubject: Re: What a disaster    What a disaster  EmptyThu Aug 23, 2018 10:20 am

can only speak from my own experience, but when I re joined our club 7 years ago, it was a lot more active, with more members sending more birds each week........now a few members are no longer with us, or some have left and packed in with pigeons, and the club is struggling in my opinion, I would be surprised if it is still going in 5 - 6 years time.
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

What a disaster  Empty
PostSubject: Re: What a disaster    What a disaster  EmptyThu Aug 23, 2018 12:24 pm

so us younger members know nothing eh misty because we don't have open hole or fly natural ...tell you what if it were not for the younger ones at my club their would be no club at all so its not all about the old uns their the ones that don't want any change even for the better ...it seems everyone who is not doing it your way is doing it the wrong way,at the end of the day you don't need years of experience to have common sense with the pigeons as I have said many times in built up areas open hole will get you a visit and fall out with neighbours and who wants that aggro your way is ok out in the sticks if I did it here the sparrowhawk and magpies would be in and out the loft as much as the birds,personally I don't want my birds picking around in gutters and hanging out on roof tops all day anyway ,they seem more than happy to go out twice daily and very content in the loft which is the most important place for them to be content ,be and let be I say and help where you can when you can atb
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

What a disaster  Empty
PostSubject: Re: What a disaster    What a disaster  EmptyThu Aug 23, 2018 2:57 pm

Do not ever remember saying anything wrong about either, the young fancier or the middle aged fancier, you will get the same mixture amongst them all.

I have already stated several times that I can understand fanciers having no option than to use latter day methods due to circumstances.

What I object to is people saying their way is the only way when there are several other ways Just as successful, if all in a club is widowhood then obviously a widowhood pigeon will win, if their are natural flyers in the club and they do not win they are not using the method to it's best or the pigeons are n0t good enough.

I have never said that the method I used was the best nor the only one to give the results you want, I only say it is an alterative for anyone in a position to do so, to give the pigeons a far better life than widowhood and darkness systems, I feel many young people of average intelligence would not feel either are in the best interests of the pigeons happy life as opposed to open hole.

If you are happy with what you do and the pigeons are not illegally treated then you have it all worked out, what I try to do is offer alternatives that may appeal more to the discerning prospective fancier, who may feel unhappy with some of the present practices.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

What a disaster  Empty
PostSubject: Re: What a disaster    What a disaster  EmptyFri Aug 24, 2018 10:22 am

I`ll be honest, I havnt really got a clue what I`m doing regards racing, but I get enjoyment out of it, that's all that matters really....... cheers cheers Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

What a disaster  Empty
PostSubject: Re: What a disaster    What a disaster  EmptyFri Aug 24, 2018 10:52 am

David wrote:
I`ll be honest, I havnt really got a clue what I`m doing regards racing, but I get enjoyment out of it, that's all that matters really....... cheers cheers Very Happy Very Happy
lol! lol! lol! Neither do I David Wink Wink But Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes same as you Smile Smile & in a strange type way bounce bounce I also get enjoyment out of it also Smile Smile. cheers
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

What a disaster  Empty
PostSubject: Re: What a disaster    What a disaster  EmptyFri Aug 24, 2018 2:23 pm

Could not agree more, never realy made winning the main priority, could have got more pleasure than the effort put in even if never winning anything.

However, it is always a pleasant bonus.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

What a disaster  Empty
PostSubject: Re: What a disaster    What a disaster  EmptyFri Aug 24, 2018 5:31 pm

we are all still learning david nobody has it made even if others suggest in their sarcasm that you have ,pigeon racing is not fair from the outset so at the end of the day we are all in it for the fun ,enjoy it and a good result is a bonus I say cheers
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

What a disaster  Empty
PostSubject: Re: What a disaster    What a disaster  EmptySat Aug 25, 2018 9:59 am

oldstrain, One mans meat etc; for every fancier who thinks his/her method is the best there are many more fanciers just as good who do the virtual opposite.

The thing that I object to is when a fancier using a certain system decries that of another fancier.

You often read, this is the only way to win, a couple of pages later on you read a
better fancier uses an entirely different system.

If you are referring to sarcasm regarding to my opinions then you are way out, if a fancier is happy with his/her method gets out of the sport what he/she wants then
they have got it made as the saying goes, but that does not leave no room to improve and learn more.

My main concern for many years has not been the different methods used nor who wins what nor how, BUT IF THERE WILL BE A SPORT FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS.

I have met thousands of people from all walks of life and never met one that knows it all because there is not one, one or two maybe thought they did but thev were deluded.

I know you are doing your utmost to involve yougsters to be involved in the sport and if many more did the same it would be a step in the right direction but as you are no doubt aware apathy is still a problem.

I would think that if the sport is to have enough members to make it a viable proposition in the next few years it needs at least, taking into consideration losses through natural causes and those who leave for various other reaons, 25,000 new members

The young ones who are at school now and who will, hopefully, retainn an interest in the sport through activities that you and others are involved in will not be in a position to participate fully in the sport for many years and it is the interim period that will determine matters.

AS I have said previously, everything else is just of no consequence if there is no sport left in which the grass root fancier can participate.

We should ALL be attempting to sort out the sports problems thatvexist because there will certainly be more to come.

So if we differ lets do so in a nice way and get on with trying to save the sport for those at school now who are taking an interest.

Regards.

Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

What a disaster  Empty
PostSubject: Re: What a disaster    What a disaster  EmptySat Aug 25, 2018 5:36 pm

pigeon racing can be as difficult or as easy as you wish to make it ...people win on all systems natural,natural open hole,widow with either sex,roundabout and celibate even hens paired evn the cocks paired on the odd occasion ,so yes indeed no one size fits all ,various feeds will be used yet they still win ,good pigeons happy and healthy is the main thing ,I have adopted whats best for me and my lifestyle its taken a few years to get my head around and after some mistakes ...more will come no doubt the main thing is not to make the same mistakes atb
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

What a disaster  Empty
PostSubject: Re: What a disaster    What a disaster  EmptySat Aug 25, 2018 9:06 pm

oldstrain , you can learn something every day.

Just read an interesting article involving cage birds and showing.

A person who is at the top of the game was asked why he was always willing to sell his winning birds.

He said he had an established breed of his own but many of his winners were from an introduction from another inbred team of another fancier and he did not want to breed from mungrels, even if they won.

Makes you think.

Regards.

Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

What a disaster  Empty
PostSubject: Re: What a disaster    What a disaster  EmptySun Aug 26, 2018 7:59 am

yes that one makes yer head itch a little eh misty lol! I suppose he just wanted that first cross to show then offspring sold on after showing ...yes so much to learn all the time
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

What a disaster  Empty
PostSubject: Re: What a disaster    What a disaster  Empty

Back to top Go down

What a disaster
Page 1 of 1