Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» Weather today
WINTER MONTHS Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 8:44 am

» new hen for speed
WINTER MONTHS Emptyby George & Morgan Yesterday at 6:51 pm

» Good Morning
WINTER MONTHS Emptyby George & Morgan Yesterday at 10:21 am

» sorting birds out
WINTER MONTHS Emptyby David Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:33 am

» new rules from Defra
WINTER MONTHS Emptyby David Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:30 pm

» RPRA Auction ........
WINTER MONTHS Emptyby David Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:40 pm

» overnight and multiple nights basket
WINTER MONTHS Emptyby Knackered Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:21 pm

» Loft Location
WINTER MONTHS Emptyby David Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:43 pm

» RPRA , WHAT DO THEY DO ?
WINTER MONTHS Emptyby David Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:43 am

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) WINTER MONTHS 20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 115 users online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 114 Guests :: 2 Bots

George & Morgan

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.WINTER MONTHS Resise10
Top posting users this week
George & Morgan
WINTER MONTHS Vote_lcapWINTER MONTHS Voting_barWINTER MONTHS Vote_rcap 
David
oldstrain
barnie
Knackered
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1293 registered users
The newest registered user is Meddy78

Our users have posted a total of 221962 messages in 13973 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
WINTER MONTHS Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
WINTER MONTHS Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

WINTER MONTHS

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

WINTER MONTHS Empty
PostSubject: WINTER MONTHS   WINTER MONTHS EmptySun Oct 07, 2018 7:53 pm

Why not have a few different topic during the winter months.

Maybe fanciers giving their most amusing or disappointing experiences or a quiz etc;

There are very few basics that have not been covered many times.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
http://albertrosbottom35@outlook.com
Lofty
Youngbird
Youngbird

WINTER MONTHS Empty
PostSubject: Re: WINTER MONTHS   WINTER MONTHS EmptySun Oct 07, 2018 10:33 pm

We will be starting our shows very shortly misty, always has a good response, but I like your thinking, some tip from our more experienced fanciers would be nice
Back to top Go down
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

WINTER MONTHS Empty
PostSubject: Re: WINTER MONTHS   WINTER MONTHS EmptyMon Oct 08, 2018 2:08 am

Winter months. Different for Knackered and I. Do not know how Knackered does it. Temp fluctuations etc,. For many folk here that fly pigeons they put heat in the lofts winter time. Temps do get down to below minus 40 C. Ventilation is closely controlled were possible. Personally I put a light bulb in a biscuit can with the waterer on top. Holes in the top of the can. Heating lofts? No. If the wild pigeons outside can survive mine should also. Never had a pigeon freeze to death. Early breeding some eggs get chilled but nothing major.
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

WINTER MONTHS Empty
PostSubject: Re: WINTER MONTHS   WINTER MONTHS EmptyMon Oct 08, 2018 8:26 am

halcanada wrote:
Winter months. Different for Knackered and I. Do not know how Knackered does it. Temp fluctuations etc,. For many folk here that fly pigeons they put heat in the lofts winter time. Temps do get down to below minus 40 C. Ventilation is closely controlled were possible. Personally I put a light bulb in a biscuit can with the waterer on top. Holes in the top of the can. Heating lofts? No. If the wild pigeons outside can survive mine should also. Never had a pigeon freeze to death. Early breeding some eggs get chilled but nothing major.
True Hal Wink Wink Living in black fella type country Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes & bred from a bunch of criminal misfits of the worst kind etc bounce bounce  lol!  lol!  lol! we just had to adapt to what we have Smile Smile & just make the best, of a bad type situation I suggest Smile Smile. cheers
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

WINTER MONTHS Empty
PostSubject: Re: WINTER MONTHS   WINTER MONTHS EmptyMon Oct 08, 2018 3:26 pm

Well, Hal and Knackered, your experiences in such conditions must have given rise to many problems and unexpected situations that no doubt would be of interest to others, in particuler how you dealt or not.

It would be interesting to see how other live and deal with different situations.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

WINTER MONTHS Empty
PostSubject: Re: WINTER MONTHS   WINTER MONTHS EmptyTue Oct 09, 2018 4:36 am

MISTY wrote:
Well, Hal and Knackered, your experiences in such conditions must have given rise to many problems and unexpected situations  that no doubt would be of interest to others, in particuler how you dealt  or not.

It would be interesting to see how other live and deal with different situations.

Regards.
Couldn't really talk for Hal Misty Smile Smile etc bounce bounce but life in general is pretty damm good here as such Wink Wink for an old fella. No Tornadoes, Cyclones, Snow Wink Wink Tsunamies/Floods "live on the side of a mountain" Wink Wink & been lucky on the bush fire issue bounce bounce even thou I'm surrounded by Gum trees every where. End of the day lol! lol! lol! Flies cause me the most concern lol! lol! lol! on the world stage  Rolling Eyes  Rolling Eyes  along with the local Sudenese thug type issue  Crying or Very sad  Crying or Very sad  Crying or Very sad  Wink Wink now. cheers
Back to top Go down
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

WINTER MONTHS Empty
PostSubject: Re: WINTER MONTHS   WINTER MONTHS EmptyTue Oct 09, 2018 2:18 pm

I have no complaints. Heated waterers are a must here Winter. Apart from snow and predators seen it all over the years. Just something to live with and adapt. Mink in the loft last ear was a surprise, but probably more on the way.
Raptors are heavy around here right now. But yearlings will be out. Strong wind but their choice.
My biggest competitor racing pigeons? See him in the mirror every morning!!
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

WINTER MONTHS Empty
PostSubject: Re: WINTER MONTHS   WINTER MONTHS EmptyTue Oct 09, 2018 3:05 pm

Hal, is that before you shave or after?.

Both you and Knackered appear content with your lot which is unusual in this day and age.

I think we have the best of everything a the present time regarding weather and other circumstances.

But we can all still moan a little.

What I feel would be interesting is events that have changed your opinions and that of other members over the involvrment in the sport.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

WINTER MONTHS Empty
PostSubject: Re: WINTER MONTHS   WINTER MONTHS EmptyTue Oct 09, 2018 3:19 pm

since keeping pigeons (and dogs) , ive learned to respect all animals more, even spiders etc........I don't like rats or mice, but if they stay away from me and my loft I don't have a problem with them, I try not to kill anything, even a spider or a moth:P Razz cheers study flower
Back to top Go down
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

WINTER MONTHS Empty
PostSubject: Re: WINTER MONTHS   WINTER MONTHS EmptyTue Oct 09, 2018 5:09 pm

David. Sometimes one has to do it. Persistent predators. Dogs killed a coyote few weeks ago. They check around for the bigger stuff. Foxes etc, cats. Wild dogs also.
Misty. My involvement in the sport has changed drastically. Seems the old style (not that many years ago) club has deteriorated to 'win at all costs' mode. Back biting and claims of pedigreed bloodlines for sale etc,. Some good studs do breed good pigeons and are honest in assesment of the young produced. Others are just looking for cash at all costs. David Clausing flew in a Florida club after moving down there. Won nothing for years. Bought some new bloodlines, Houbens, and won out of turn. Fed and club. So they kicked him out. Other clubs would not let him fly. His birds, methods were too good for them. So on advice from Houben he entered one lofters. Had to scrape the cash together to enter. His birds won money right away.
I do not ruffle feathers in any club. Live and le live. YB's flew this morning almost two hours. Frost a few nights ago, 28 C today. Hawk appeared but the birds just went high then away. I enjoy watching them. Love to see them home from a race. Love the genetic aspect of breeding. Always basically an uknown. But get it right a few times all is worth while. The social/meetings part of the sport I shun. Basically content.
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

WINTER MONTHS Empty
PostSubject: Re: WINTER MONTHS   WINTER MONTHS EmptyTue Oct 09, 2018 11:11 pm

MISTY wrote:
Hal, is that before you shave or after?.

Both you and Knackered appear content with your lot which is unusual in this day and age.

I think we have the best of everything a the present time regarding weather and other circumstances.

But we can all still moan a little.

What I feel would be interesting is events that have changed your opinions and that of other  members over the  involvrment in the sport.

Regards.
Seen the highs Smile Smile & the lows  Crying or Very sad  Crying or Very sad  Crying or Very sad in the pigeon sport here Misty etc. The imports & the money men/studs have turned the sport into a crap scenario for the way I see it now for the battler type/average man, along with the Rota virus issue which we are battling with now here. But basically, in simple terms it is all meaningless as such Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes from my perspective, compared to certain issues that had a life changing effect on me 50 odd years ago type of thing here, which gave me 50 odd years thankfully to just enjoy my birds  fortunately in my own strange way as such. If more people today I suggest  bounce  bounce could just see the magic side/aspect to keeping pigeons etc like us 2  Wink  Wink the world could/would be a far better place to live in than it is now sadly the way I see things & the pill popper makers/believers Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes could maybe, just go out of business Wink Wink from my experience. cheers
Back to top Go down
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

WINTER MONTHS Empty
PostSubject: Re: WINTER MONTHS   WINTER MONTHS EmptyWed Oct 10, 2018 1:02 am

I enjoy the keeping of pigeons. Years ago figured out I was a microbe in the billions of bacteria. Meaning humans. I am not out to change the world. World will never change much anyway. I was shut out of the first Canadian club I was in because I won too many races. They changed the boundries and I was on the long end yet. Same in the London clubs I was in. Those days are long gone. So I enjoy what I can while I can.
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

WINTER MONTHS Empty
PostSubject: Re: WINTER MONTHS   WINTER MONTHS EmptyWed Oct 10, 2018 6:30 am

halcanada wrote:
I enjoy the keeping of pigeons. Years ago figured out I was a microbe in the billions of bacteria. Meaning humans. I am not out to change the world. World will never change much anyway. I was shut out of the first Canadian club I was in because I won too many races. They changed the boundries and I was on the long end yet. Same in the London clubs I was in. Those days are long gone. So I enjoy what I can while I can.
Simple way I suggest Hal Wink Wink & I'm much the same now here. Just leave every thing Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes I say unfortunately for Trump to fix etc bounce bounce Wink Wink. cheers
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

WINTER MONTHS Empty
PostSubject: Re: WINTER MONTHS   WINTER MONTHS EmptyWed Oct 10, 2018 9:21 am

Never been in a club Hal where any fancier won everything, I was always content with my pigeons performances.

But for most of my time I was chairman or president or secretary of the club, which as the saying goes , you cannot please everybody all the time and some never.

When you have 30 40 members it is humanly impossible not have the odd trouble maker which tends to detract from the pleasure. that is why it is debatable about being forced to accept members unless they have been acting dishonerably etc;

But if I ever got down hearted 10 minutes in the garden woth my feathered friends was a certain cure.

Regards.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

WINTER MONTHS Empty
PostSubject: Re: WINTER MONTHS   WINTER MONTHS Empty

Back to top Go down

WINTER MONTHS
Page 1 of 1