Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» Weather today
club meeting Emptyby barnie Yesterday at 7:58 pm

» new hen for speed
club meeting Emptyby George & Morgan Yesterday at 6:51 pm

» Good Morning
club meeting Emptyby George & Morgan Yesterday at 10:21 am

» sorting birds out
club meeting Emptyby David Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:33 am

» new rules from Defra
club meeting Emptyby David Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:30 pm

» RPRA Auction ........
club meeting Emptyby David Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:40 pm

» overnight and multiple nights basket
club meeting Emptyby Knackered Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:21 pm

» Loft Location
club meeting Emptyby David Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:43 pm

» RPRA , WHAT DO THEY DO ?
club meeting Emptyby David Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:43 am

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) club meeting 20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 61 users online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 60 Guests :: 1 Bot

George & Morgan

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.club meeting Resise10
Top posting users this week
George & Morgan
club meeting Vote_lcapclub meeting Voting_barclub meeting Vote_rcap 
David
oldstrain
barnie
Knackered
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1293 registered users
The newest registered user is Meddy78

Our users have posted a total of 221961 messages in 13973 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
club meeting Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
club meeting Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

club meeting

Go down 
+6
Lofty
fieldwalker
Knackered
David
markevans
oldstrain
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

club meeting Empty
PostSubject: club meeting   club meeting EmptyWed Oct 24, 2018 6:27 pm

club meeting tonight should be interesting with ets issue to sort out I think it will get in for those that want it but a few against it maybe a vote on it ,could see me flying south if it gets turned down,it would be a close vote also new racing fees and race programme has been submitted ,have a good night lads n lasses
Back to top Go down
markevans
Youngbird
Youngbird
markevans

club meeting Empty
PostSubject: Re: club meeting   club meeting EmptyWed Oct 24, 2018 6:39 pm

Best of luck their Darren with meeting try not to fall a sleep
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

club meeting Empty
PostSubject: Re: club meeting   club meeting EmptyWed Oct 24, 2018 7:07 pm

enjoy your evening Darren, theres always some controversy isn't there...... lol!

sounds just the same as our meetings Razz Razz Razz geek
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

club meeting Empty
PostSubject: Re: club meeting   club meeting EmptyThu Oct 25, 2018 12:11 am

David wrote:
enjoy your evening Darren, theres always some controversy isn't there...... lol!

Is there what etc Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes things are that bad here Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad many have the feeling as such, that meetings mean nothing now  I'm affraid & most decisions are decided at the local coffee club cliques, outside of normal working hours Smile Smile. cheers
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

club meeting Empty
PostSubject: Re: club meeting   club meeting EmptyThu Oct 25, 2018 8:38 am

Knackered wrote:
David wrote:

Is there what etc Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes things are that bad here Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad many have the feeling as such, that meetings mean nothing now  I'm affraid & most decisions are decided at the local coffee club cliques, outside of normal working hours Smile Smile. cheers

spot on knackered, decisions here are made over a drinking session in the pub, already a forgone conclusion when the "vote" is taken at the meeting........... Twisted Evil Twisted Evil study
Back to top Go down
fieldwalker
Youngbird
Youngbird
fieldwalker

club meeting Empty
PostSubject: Re: club meeting   club meeting EmptyThu Oct 25, 2018 8:45 am

I think its the same everywhere now,my own club used to have some volitile
Ones,wasnt to bad after the fighting bounce
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

club meeting Empty
PostSubject: Re: club meeting   club meeting EmptyThu Oct 25, 2018 9:27 am

well a few toys were chucked out the pram last night regards the ets ...all put on my shoulders to deal with I already do the clocks and help basket the birds ,thing is I have no experience with ets so it will be a learning curve for me but with the attitude towards ets I think the spirit of the club will change we had 3 members leave whilst the ets discussion was still live so it looks like I will be racing south with the ybs
Back to top Go down
markevans
Youngbird
Youngbird
markevans

club meeting Empty
PostSubject: Re: club meeting   club meeting EmptyThu Oct 25, 2018 9:44 am

Best thing ever Ets once you get your head around it you'll never won't to go back any help needed just aske
Back to top Go down
Lofty
Youngbird
Youngbird

club meeting Empty
PostSubject: Re: club meeting   club meeting EmptyThu Oct 25, 2018 10:02 am

Same happened with us last night daz, fed top brass called a meeting to sort out why lots of members were leaving for other clubs, boils down to ets, while we thought that it could work with both ets and t3 at the same time in reality it was chaotic on marking night, with ets boys stuck in the doorway because they need a reception and t3 lads trying to get past to mark their birds and arguments breaking out all over the place, when the sec tells ets boys to stop marking their birds until rubber are finished they just carry on doing they’re own thing, in the end the ets boys shot they’re selves in the foot because all but 4 members have resigned
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

club meeting Empty
PostSubject: Re: club meeting   club meeting EmptyThu Oct 25, 2018 10:37 am

There is no doubt the ETS is very good in many ways, the pigeon is better off at marking as it does not have to go through some rough handling at times whilst having a rubber fitted, nor grabbed at times when returning from a race to have the rubber removed, and you are more likely not to lose any time.

However, to many fanciers this removes much of what makes the sport exiting and enjoyable.

The ETS affords some help for some who would find it hard to continue in the sport without it.

But it is a fact that the ETS in many ways offers a distinct advantage.

An ideal way would be to have ETS clubs and those using ordinary timers but the number of fanciers make that impossible.

Fanciers have to behave like grown ups and come to a compromise.

As for meetings, I always attempted to hold them when the chance of alcohol playing part was least likely.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
http://albertrosbottom35@outlook.com
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

club meeting Empty
PostSubject: Re: club meeting   club meeting EmptyThu Oct 25, 2018 10:47 am

markevans wrote:
Best thing ever Ets once you get your head around it you'll never won't to go back any help needed just aske
On average I would agree with you Mark etc Smile Smile But Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes I'm  affraid I have no time for the Benzing live type scenario these days, unless one has to travel many, many miles to present ones clock as such. Little story about bending the rules Wink Wink. Here, for the last 100 years basket Wednesday, clocks done on the Friday night etc for the long racers. Old fella lol! lol! lol! STB man type Smile Smile rang one off the power brokers bounce bounce & bluntly said it was totally B*ll sh*te with the way things are now, with him being the only one with an old type clock Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes racing. Ring, ring ring around Wink Wink between the power brokers lol! lol! lol! & he got his way in having it done on basket night Wednesday, which saves 2 blokes travelling miles to our centre to do one clock & one spare Wink Wink on a Friday night  Smile  Smile Common sense  Wink  Wink can achieve miracles at times, one could maybe suggest  Smile  Smile. cheers
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

club meeting Empty
PostSubject: Re: club meeting   club meeting EmptyThu Oct 25, 2018 1:38 pm

markevans wrote:

thanks mark I may be in touch for some advice especially allocating rings to the system
Back to top Go down
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

club meeting Empty
PostSubject: Re: club meeting   club meeting EmptyThu Oct 25, 2018 1:49 pm

There is a big club about 50 miles from here. Most use ets. However some use regular clocks. All are accomodated. Club flies a couple of 500 milers a year. ETS guys go to bed early. Regular Clock guys sit and wait and hope "Before dark or after 7 am".
Awards night.
http://www.swoarpc.ca/2018%20Young%20Birds%20Tillsonburg/Our%202018%20Awards%20Night.pdf
Back to top Go down
fieldwalker
Youngbird
Youngbird
fieldwalker

club meeting Empty
PostSubject: Re: club meeting   club meeting EmptyThu Oct 25, 2018 3:21 pm

I was against it before any union rules were passed, But....
Once i got used to it I think its great.can easy race mark 5 birds a minute if
you have enough members there.
Being someone who almost always had bad trappers in sprint races (yes i know my own fault,i just couldn't hurry slowly)
ETS is much better for me and my first arrival Very Happy
Main draw back,it kills the social side of waiting of clocks set n struck,people wander off before the transporter picks up leaving the same member every week to load them.
HQ is at a Social Club and there takings have plummeted since.
The lo ger races im still there but not glued to the loft like with T3s study
Back to top Go down
Daz
Youngbird
Youngbird

club meeting Empty
PostSubject: Re: club meeting   club meeting EmptyThu Oct 25, 2018 4:59 pm

Am in one club ( A North Road Club) that has an 'Gentleman's Agreement' that they won't have the E.T. in it.
I could have said 'Nuts' you can't stop me'! However they had opened up the radius to accommodate me, and two others! I have had my say and went along with it. No not scared. or bothered in the slightest regards any bad feelings … but feel as I fly in two other clubs, and would only fly 'Distance races with them so again would make much difference.
However I did write a strong letter to all members expressing my thoughts and feeling... Not least that any Newbie would find it very off putting etc. and go South Rd which is held in the same venue etc. Further I slated the 'OLD pro's' who spout 'The bird has to fly it to win garbage. Simple fact in a fast race a bird can be 500 yards behind and still win over a manual clocker. fact and easy proven. Indeed the Spanish Firm that was given the job to find out all the ins and outs spouted.
So says I to these 'Old timers' why are you bothered? Then answered with a stated fact. 'It is because on manual clocking your prowess and ability, knowledge and experience gives you a far, better march. As simple as that! I've grew to never fluster a bird, or rush to time in and Ruin it for ever regards trapping.
Barry Andrews and very, very good flyer over many years and all distances - still holds a few records - said 'Roly you know my birds come very tame. That they go straight to the box and I have no problems whatsoever in picking one up and timing it in'! - that was a certainty. 'Now he continued 'I had five drop in together. Open door and straight onto the bench or in box. - A small loft and a bench all the way around the front - inside - where he would pet and chat to them, hand feed and coo etc. with them. Now I time all 5 in as quick as I could to see just how long the time would be between them. It was exactly 12 seconds for each bird. Now if one quite not so well planned etc. it would be more... also to land and go in and be caught first bird at least 17 seconds as said. A VELOCITY OF1760 that' MEANS over 500 yards, more than a quarter of a mile behind and still wins.
Like I said to the old timers 'That's your fear, that you will lose a March.
Back to top Go down
peel bros
Oldbird
Oldbird
peel bros

club meeting Empty
PostSubject: Re: club meeting   club meeting EmptyThu Oct 25, 2018 5:47 pm

Cannot believe people use the old system nowadays..ets all day for me now
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

club meeting Empty
PostSubject: Re: club meeting   club meeting EmptyThu Oct 25, 2018 8:34 pm

Take and understand your points Daz but the fact is that all fanciers have the opportunity to train their pigeons to be tame and easily timed when using a manual timer, and that is difference between good and bad fanciers.

With the ETS there is no need to catch the pigeon, and it gives a distinct advantage and the possbility is that a race could be won by 2" and 500th of a second.

The problem is working out a far system if both are used in the same race.

It is problamatic if in a race involving large amounts of money was won by an amount that could be put down to advantage in the timing methods ????.

Regards.

Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

club meeting Empty
PostSubject: Re: club meeting   club meeting EmptyFri Oct 26, 2018 12:13 am

peel bros wrote:
Cannot believe people use the old system nowadays..ets all day for me now
No issues with that Ray Wink Wink But how much etc Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes is too much type of thing on the cost factor. when attempting to entice new members to the sport as
such. Talking to Mr Benzing here Wink Wink on basket night & his thought's are on average Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad every one should just go Benzing live Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes. Never will happen for this old fella  lol!  lol!  lol! even if he gave me a special, special discount on a E-clock & a yearly ongoing supply of rings  Wink  Wink  Smile  Smile.  cheers
Back to top Go down
fieldwalker
Youngbird
Youngbird
fieldwalker

club meeting Empty
PostSubject: Re: club meeting   club meeting EmptyFri Oct 26, 2018 8:36 am

MISTY wrote:
Take and understand your points Daz but the fact is that all fanciers have the opportunity to train their pigeons to be tame and easily timed when using a manual timer, and that is difference between good and bad fanciers.

With the ETS there is no need to catch the pigeon, and it gives a distinct advantage and the possbility is that a race could be won by 2" and 500th of a second.

The problem is working out a far system if both are used in the same race.

It is problamatic if in a race involving large amounts of money was won by an amount that could be put down to advantage in the timing methods ????.

Regards.

Not as simple as having tame pigeons,depends on the type of pigeon you have
Janssens Bange van51 and 59 nervy edgy sods and the ones that didn't  show those traits and were quieter couldn't win a prize.
Back to top Go down
Daz
Youngbird
Youngbird

club meeting Empty
PostSubject: Re: club meeting   club meeting EmptyFri Oct 26, 2018 11:56 am

Mist Posted '...… Daz but the fact is that all fanciers have the opportunity to train their pigeons to be tame and easily timed when using a manual timer,...'!

Yet he knows, as well as we all know Not all, in fact no where near are fanciers capable. A friend of the Janseen Family - said he once was the Boy friend of a sister - said to me 'Roly you can tell in 2 years, 3 years top if he will make a good fancier'! Probably 80% or more aren't.
Time ability, able to listen etc. etc. all take an account.

A lovely old time said to me about the time I started here and joined a club.
Roly, if there was a , let say a contest of 30 shepherds Most would be ok to pretty good... But one will always arise and shine above the others... maybe another one or two even beneath him, but above the others. They have like an inborn affinity, just that something else special'!

How true, many have winners - one swallow doesn't make a summer thought. Few are consistent, but ARE the ones who turn up each week and do the chores, pay their dues etc. THE ONES THE 'Top boys' beat and win the prize money most weeks. Most are average or just a bit about 'Homers and guys who love the sport etc.
Now I'm not for a moment saying we should penalise the top boys, very far from it. However I feel that they spout untruths, freely on the one hand all to their own advantage.
Raunds Club, under Barry's direction had a Table. Took a few meeting to sort out a fair point structure as far as possible. Points added as to wins and places in past seasons performances. All was in it and a little money etc. was a bonus. Like the Pentathlon they worked on and agreed points awarded to the lesser flyers etc. The lesser flyers wasn't insulted but endorsed it whole heartedly.
Many 'Also rans' gained a win here and there and ALL had a shout most weeks.

My dad couldn't fly a kite on a windy day - Well he could actually and very well - but never had a win... Nigh won the big North Road Championship from Lerwick being very unlucky at that! With Herbie and anoter he was first to help and do the chores etc.

One day Raunds club - after a committee meeting said that the club would hold a 'Street Race from Kimbolton'. About 4 or 5 miles to us, and less to most, Two actually further.
After the clocking in they set the clocks etc. and basketed the birds once... next few weeks it was a morning basketing.
Gosh was my dad happy the week he won that! Indeed was often the topic brought when 'Banter' was rife!

Strangely, nigh all the lesser club fancier did well and have a rare win!

I was about 9 or 10 then. First off very pleased for dad. But it didn't take long for me to realise it was all contrived for the lesser fanciers.

Not many clubs would do that today, that's a fact. Barry only smiled and said I thought it was contrived. 'I don't know about that' was only ever the reply. Did dad ever realise it? did the other winners always believe it? Did my dad really go to his resting place actually believing it? I doubt it, but why take the glitter of a plastic cup eh.

So I know whole heartedly that those old times in the club could lax the agreement and still top the table... but won't, because maybe, just maybe a lesser flyer would win another odd race. Personally I honestly believe that they should be ashamed of themselves!
Back to top Go down
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

club meeting Empty
PostSubject: Re: club meeting   club meeting EmptyFri Oct 26, 2018 3:05 pm

All clubs, Feds are different. For better or worse. Please some, not others. Fanciers are not robots. ETS is excellent. My club they are not allowed but who cares? Tame pigeons are always a bonus. Only the first bird counts for the win of course. But to sell birds, get prize money etc I beleive ets would be the way to go. They are not cheap. One I had I sold as of no use in this club.
Daz? Roly, Alberta Classic other handle?
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

club meeting Empty
PostSubject: Re: club meeting   club meeting EmptyFri Oct 26, 2018 3:56 pm

Going back 75 or more years, the time I have been involved in our sport, one would not recognize the changes that have occurred, none in my opinion being better for all fanciers or for the pigeons.

Some have made matters easy for some and more difficult for others, but the main problem has been the ruination of the pigeons health and ability.

In the mining villages, where the majority of fanciers resided, clubs were well into the double figures regarding membership, I cannot remember having any trouble at marking or clocking etc;.

Training was vey minimal and done by rail, fanciers spent every minute with their pigeons in daylight hours and in the pub the remainder when not working.

Although I had pigeons of my own I would still sit with the older fanciers and watch what they were doing on many occasions, kids were welcomed by fanciers and encouraged in ever way possible.

There was no or very little aids to success nor all the preventative medication to the extent it is today and yet there were very few losses and the pigeons flew distances further than today and lasted well into there double figures.

Our sport for too many reasons to relate can never be fair in any meaningful manner, the more changes made the further from that it goes because there is a far bigger difference between the fanciers aims and means of obtaining them than ever before.

Once the money boys and win at any cost brigade became involved the v writing was on the wall.

The grass root fancier today should just get on with his/her sport and enjoy it in the way it pleases them and let others do the same.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
Daz
Youngbird
Youngbird

club meeting Empty
PostSubject: Re: club meeting   club meeting EmptyFri Oct 26, 2018 5:07 pm

Agree Misty. However what made / makes a good club is the 'Clubs Spirit'. Closely followed by 'Sportsmanship'.
Alas the latter has eroded and cause injury to the former.
Was a time when a new comer was offered help, genuine advice and birds etc. by nigh all … Now, whether because of costs, or being beat by their own birds it has dwindled vastly. I can only thing of two in the Nothants area offhand that will give a bird or helping hand besides me. Now that is a shame and a spear in the side.
Back to top Go down
fieldwalker
Youngbird
Youngbird
fieldwalker

club meeting Empty
PostSubject: Re: club meeting   club meeting EmptyFri Oct 26, 2018 5:50 pm

Well I know a club full that would be more than happy to help a local new starter
My own.
Theres just not the interest,you don't see kids interested in pigeons,rabbits,chickens even budgies anymore.
Its not the cost,you can easy convert a garden shed T3 clocks vertually given away plenty free pigeons to start with to learn and have fun and responsibility
Of keeping them.
Feed,basic 4 seasons £8 a bag.
Too much for them to do now.
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

club meeting Empty
PostSubject: Re: club meeting   club meeting EmptyFri Oct 26, 2018 7:54 pm

well that's 2 club members contacted this evening about the ets issue tbh I cant be doing with all the drama lol! use what ya want I say ets,t3 or stb whatever ,just enjoy it cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

club meeting Empty
PostSubject: Re: club meeting   club meeting Empty

Back to top Go down

club meeting
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next