Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  UK Pigeon SalesUK Pigeon Sales  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» This morning on loft.
by halcanada Today at 2:37 am

» Praise for a change. OFF TOPIC
by MISTY Yesterday at 11:54 pm

» Club meeting today
by MISTY Yesterday at 11:35 pm

» Another off topic...
by MISTY Yesterday at 11:25 pm

» Weather today
by Knackered Yesterday at 9:47 pm

» Different methods.
by Knackered Yesterday at 8:57 pm

» Mnfc olr 2018
by oldstrain Yesterday at 7:01 am

» Hen show coming?
by Boosey Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:47 am

» Write to the council
by Knackered Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:50 am

Forum Syndicate
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
Who is online?
In total there are 8 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 8 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 144 on Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:37 am
Bucktons 2017 Calendar
Pigeon World Forum, Fancier of the Year Trophy.
Top posting users this week
Knackered

MISTY

peel bros

halcanada

Daz

fieldwalker

oldstrain

Boosey

Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1155 registered users
The newest registered user is whiteashbob

Our users have posted a total of 172678 messages in 11377 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
John Gibbs young pied/grizzle winner.
Top posters
David

Don Webb

oldstrain

IANYOUNG

peel bros

Knackered

Gaz b

birdy2011

Rene A

halcanada

Share | 

Stock birds.

Go down 
AuthorMessage
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird

PostSubject: Stock birds.   Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:30 pm

Put 13 hens in with 13 cocks today.  Colourful collection! 10 red cocks, 3 blue.
Hens. 4 white. 4 red, rest blues. 4 are young birds, hens. Pick their own mates.
Lousy weather.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird

PostSubject: Re: Stock birds.   Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:15 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: Stock birds.   Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:01 am

halcanada wrote:
Put 13 hens in with 13 cocks today.  Colourful collection! 10 red cocks, 3 blue.
Hens. 4 white. 4 red, rest blues. 4 are young birds, hens. Pick their own mates.
Lousy weather.
I'm even tending that way here myself now Hal Wink Wink "pretty colour combinations" Never really all that big on that type of scenario etc bounce bounce but what the heck Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes I say Smile Smile adds a different type of enjoyment/perspective with the birds for me now etc. Now Smile Smile nice assortment of nest bowls you have there lol! lol! lol! it appears Wink Wink. cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MISTY
Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Re: Stock birds.   Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:38 pm

Do not know what you are feeding them on Hal, but wish I was as fit as they look, always liked a good mixture of color, individuality great thing.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://albertrosbottom35@outlook.com
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird

PostSubject: Re: Stock birds.   Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:26 pm

Knackered. Nest boxes. Use what works. Birds recognise the box quicker.
Misty. Yes. The whites are out of an American stray. 3 young birds, last flight in. 1 red is also an American stray. Young bird. He was the one escaped from the loft I the guy had him in. Cold, windy, out overnight. Never trained. 80 miles. Back here next morning. Cannot race them but with that perseverance figured I would breed off them. The white bred me a good one. Only white I flew. So hoping he will. Fed on cheapest mix. Do add layer pellets and bit of safflower. Seperated the racers today, young ones. Some have the last flight mostly up. As you may know, early ones had extended light to stop the moult. Worked out quite well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Boosey
Youngbird
Youngbird

PostSubject: Re: Stock birds.   Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:04 pm

Exciting times Hal waiting to see what colour feathers sprout.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MISTY
Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Re: Stock birds.   Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:29 am

Note all the Aces are missing Hal.

Makes my hearth leapt to see pigeons kept in such conditions ???? and as content as they could possibly be.

Surely far better in clinical conditions full of every kind of preventative to offset their unatural existance, and sat as sick as parrots until kicked off their perches for the scraper roundsman.

I know which I would prefer were I one of our feathered friends.

Regards.

Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: Stock birds.   Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:13 pm

MISTY wrote:
Note all the Aces are missing Hal.

Makes my hearth leapt to see pigeons kept in such  conditions ???? and as content as they could possibly be.

Surely far better in clinical conditions full of every kind of preventative to offset their unatural existance, and sat as sick as parrots until kicked off their perches for the scraper roundsman.

I know which I would prefer were I one of our feathered friends.

Regards.

As we both know Misty  Smile  Smile  it can work for many etc. But Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes not all unfortunately from my experience this year here when talking about the free love type of scenario as such. Mated up 4 separate sections the conventional way here Wink Wink & all went as expected Smile Smile so far, but the 5th separate section was Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad  on average & I must blame Hal here, not you lol! lol! lol! with his free love type of thinking Smile Smile because, unfortunately it all went belly up for me here, sadly I'm  affraid. 16 pairs had the run of their own little 12'x7' loft with flight "free love". Had Cocks mating with cocks Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Hens mating with hens Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad nice big breeding boxes bounce bounce & many were fighting for a corner on the floor to lay & others preferred to take over 2/3 boxes & fight like hell just to keep them. Broken eggs, unfertile eggs, scalped youngsters & fight, fight fight was the norm there Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes in their section unfortunately I found, or to put it in a more normal term lol! lol! lol! for me, it was a total crap Wink Wink type of experience, that I had not experienced before as such Smile Smile & I doubt if I will ever try it again here. End of the day thou I suspect  Rolling Eyes  Rolling Eyes it's far better to try some thing new & fail "Big time" than to die wondering about some thing one could suggest Wink  Wink maybe. cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MISTY
Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Re: Stock birds.   Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:23 pm

Knackered,
I think the problem you had was changing from one method to another with the same birds.

I never had any problem at all after a couple of years, the loft becomes a family affair and all learn their place.

My method may have varied from other natural systems in as much as all both young and old were kept together, with complete open hole, this gives the pigeons the whole world to explore and not fighting in an enclosure for a particular perch or box etc;

Cannot remember any fighting for nest boxes or perches other than on the odd occasion which was solved in their own way, of course you do need to have the relevant number of pigeons for the area concerned and limit the numbers so that there is no need for fighting etc;.

One thing I never did was use food as a source of motivation, in my opinion many problems arise at the time of feeding when food is limited.

However, irrespective of any other consideration, I could not have had more pleasure and everything I desired from our feathered friends and did so MY WAY. PIGEONS FIRST ME SECOND.

Regards.

Back to top Go down
MISTY
Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Re: Stock birds.   Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:23 pm

Knackered,
              I think the problem you had was changing from one method to another with the same birds.

I never had any problem at all after a couple of years, the loft becomes a family affair and all learn their place.

My method  may have varied from other natural systems in as much as all both young and old were kept together, with complete open hole, this gives the pigeons the whole world to explore and not fighting in an enclosure for a particular perch or box etc;

Cannot remember any fighting for nest boxes or perches other than on the odd occasion which was solved in their own way, of course you do need to have the relevant number of pigeons for the area concerned and limit the numbers so that there is no need for fighting etc;.

One thing I never did was use food as a source of motivation, in my opinion many problems arise at the time of feeding when food is limited.

However, irrespective of any other consideration, I could not have had more pleasure and everything I desired from our feathered friends and did so MY WAY. PIGEONS FIRST ME SECOND.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: Stock birds.   Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:05 pm

MISTY wrote:
Knackered,

My method  may have varied from other natural systems in as much as all both young and old were kept together, with complete open hole, this gives the pigeons the whole world to explore and not fighting in an enclosure for a particular perch or box etc;

Regards.
No fighting Smile Smile Come on down here etc Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Misty Smile Smile & I will show you bounce bounce   some rather battered type stock birds, that have really been put through the ringer type of thing, unfortunately Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes, Still lol! lol! lol! being a Mr Peel type bloke Wink Wink I shall survive as such some how  lol!  lol!  lol!  as they were just the left overs so to speak which caused me heart ache some what & pain here Smile Smile. cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird

PostSubject: Re: Stock birds.   Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:49 am

Folks not sure how people mate. Pedigrees? Best to best? Eyesign?
The stock birds I have are pigeons that have raced well. All have raced. The best are kept and stocked. Dummies continue racing or are lost. However, some not raced young birds are also in the loft. 2 whites. One must try new stuff. But of all pigeons introduced since the original TMak Vos red Jannsens, very few crosses are here. Tom I know always buys in new blood from Europe. He has an auction of stock birds coming next week. But informed me the other night I have more reds than him. I do not care about colours as such. Like to see diversity. But best to the best. So many reds. Now. Love matings here may encourage inbreeding. Obviously will as same bloodlines. Who cares? Imports are a different matter. Most people love them. Buy a good cock. Or hen. So the cock wins are posted and ace pigeon. Did not the cocks abilities come from the hen? Vise versa. Yet one bird or pair that breeds winners of both sexes should be the ideal. JMO.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Daz
Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Re: Stock birds.   Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:54 am

Few have ever had the ability to bred a youngster and state 'That will be good for the 'Stock' loft.
Stamvater was an exception. Busseart, Masserella, and just a few others.
SVR never ever looked at eyes, or reported the pedigree … Maybe he had a loft full of stars. But he when mating or buying in just went via the handling of the bird.
I often smile at Best to Best! That in it's self means the Worst to the Worse.

Yes sometimes a throw back from a pedigree happens. Yearling breed the best youngsters true... but not necessarily the best racers.

I strongly believe one has to see the character and make up and traits. Constitution is a must.

Now if one could take the best 5 out of ten that is paramount in one bird and know the weaknesses and find a mate that is strong on the ones the mate is weak etc.
Then one has a chance I believe. Few can do this of course.
Observation again is paramount.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: Stock birds.   Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:21 pm

Daz wrote:
Few have ever had the ability to bred a youngster and state 'That will be good for the 'Stock' loft.
Stamvater was an exception. Busseart, Masserella, and just a few others.
SVR never ever looked at eyes, or reported the pedigree … Maybe he had a loft full of stars. But he when mating or buying in just went via the handling of the bird.
I often smile at Best to Best! That in it's self means the Worst to the Worse.

Yes sometimes a throw back from a pedigree happens. Yearling breed the best youngsters true... but not necessarily the best racers.

I strongly believe one has to see the character and make up and traits. Constitution is a must.

Now if one could take the best 5 out of ten that is paramount in one bird and know the weaknesses and find a mate that is strong on the ones the mate is weak etc.
Then one has a chance I believe.  Few can do this of course.
Observation again is paramount.
Smile Smile I agree with what you say Daz Wink Wink unfortunately. I call it the revolving door syndrome etc here Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes bounce bounce we breed them, we race them Wink Wink & then we loose them etc Smile Smile Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad on average. Certain wizard types here Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad are trying their utmost to do away with distance type races now "welfare of the pigeons thing" total crap scenario Wink Wink from my perspective, as they just don't have the ability to breed good distance type pigeons for my way of thinking, or even the will power Wink Wink sadly. cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MISTY
Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Re: Stock birds.   Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:49 pm

Throughout nature all animals breed certain within their species that will cope with varying circumstances,survival of the fittest etc;

The same applies to pigeons, if there was a very bad winter and food short and a long way from home, the those with only limited distance capabilities would not survive, if the food was nearer to hand the fast birds would eat the food before the others arrived.

When circumstances returned to normal so would all the different capabilities fast, slow and medium being evident in the DNA of the original survivers.

There is no sutch thing as a Sprint breed nor any other because if you select for one you are only disposing of the others.

If there was a certain way ????????.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Stock birds.   

Back to top Go down

Stock birds.
Page 1 of 1