Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» Good Morning
Going Light...... Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 10:21 am

» Weather today
Going Light...... Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 8:51 am

» sorting birds out
Going Light...... Emptyby David Yesterday at 11:33 am

» new rules from Defra
Going Light...... Emptyby David Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:30 pm

» RPRA Auction ........
Going Light...... Emptyby David Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:40 pm

» overnight and multiple nights basket
Going Light...... Emptyby Knackered Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:21 pm

» Loft Location
Going Light...... Emptyby David Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:43 pm

» RPRA , WHAT DO THEY DO ?
Going Light...... Emptyby David Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:43 am

» RPRA Auction
Going Light...... Emptyby David Sun Mar 17, 2024 2:04 pm

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) Going Light...... 20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 83 users online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 82 Guests :: 2 Bots

George & Morgan

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.Going Light...... Resise10
Top posting users this week
George & Morgan
Going Light...... Vote_lcapGoing Light...... Voting_barGoing Light...... Vote_rcap 
David
Going Light...... Vote_lcapGoing Light...... Voting_barGoing Light...... Vote_rcap 
oldstrain
Knackered
barnie
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1293 registered users
The newest registered user is Meddy78

Our users have posted a total of 221952 messages in 13972 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
Going Light...... Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
Going Light...... Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

Going Light......

Go down 
+3
MISTY
oldstrain
David
7 posters
AuthorMessage
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

Going Light...... Empty
PostSubject: Going Light......   Going Light...... EmptyWed Apr 03, 2019 2:29 pm

noticed a hen of mine was looking a bit rough yesterday, thought nothing of it....maybe due to lay an egg etc.

today I picked her up and she is going light, seems a bit thin.....gave her a white sesqui tablet I had knocking about, but not sure if its out of date or how long ive had them, has anyone any help / info of whats best to treat her with as I don't want to loose this bird, especially if its something that can be sorted .....
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

Going Light...... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Going Light......   Going Light...... EmptyWed Apr 03, 2019 2:56 pm

could be a number of things but would not harm to treat for coccidiosis and then canker and worm ...I would give her a break if she is in the breeding section jmo atb david
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

Going Light...... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Going Light......   Going Light...... EmptyWed Apr 03, 2019 4:35 pm

The odd one I had going light was always put right with the tablet you gave the hen, do not think they go out of date, but it does not want to be crumbly.

Will not harm to give another one.

The experts say it is cocci if you Google but as long as you cure it, it matters not what it is as long as it is not contagious.

Regards.

Back to top Go down
http://albertrosbottom35@outlook.com
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

Going Light...... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Going Light......   Going Light...... EmptyWed Apr 03, 2019 5:05 pm

oldstrain wrote:
could be a number of things but would not harm to treat for coccidiosis and then canker and worm ...I would give her a break if she is in the breeding section jmo atb david

I cankered, cocci and wormed before breeding Darren, but it cant be ruled out I suppose.........not sure if ive had any ybs off her this season, I cant remember.

I have the treatments to give her, but I don't want to treat all the birds in that section as some are feeding young birds, so not sure what to do....
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

Going Light...... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Going Light......   Going Light...... EmptyWed Apr 03, 2019 5:08 pm

MISTY wrote:
The odd one I had going light was always put right with the tablet you gave the hen, do not think they go out of date, but it does not want to be crumbly.

Will not harm to give another one.

The experts say it is cocci if you Google but as long as you cure it, it matters  not what it is as long as it is not contagious.

Regards.

she doesn't look ill really misty, just a bit puffed and loosing weight , she eats and since I gave her the sesqui is drinking plenty of water, maybe because I put water into her nest box for her.

it says one tablet on the label, but im sure ive given one per day for 2 or 3 days in the past, would it harm...?
Back to top Go down
fieldwalker
Youngbird
Youngbird
fieldwalker

Going Light...... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Going Light......   Going Light...... EmptyWed Apr 03, 2019 5:30 pm

Id give it another..not like its racing.
No green shi droppings.
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

Going Light...... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Going Light......   Going Light...... EmptyWed Apr 03, 2019 6:09 pm

if you gave 1 a day for 3 days it would not harm ...or lock in nest box and treat through the water,maybe get some 4 in 1 harkers tablets and try one with the hen ,keep yer eyes peeled on the other birds ...a canker and cocci treatment would not harm the breeders or their ybs but may lower their water intake a little for the period of treatment
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

Going Light...... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Going Light......   Going Light...... EmptyWed Apr 03, 2019 7:35 pm

Would never give anything add lib, all tablets given together will do more harm than good.

Never lost a bird by it going light, seen friends lose the odd bird through not treating.

Better those who have dealt with the problem successfully I think.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

Going Light...... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Going Light......   Going Light...... EmptyWed Apr 03, 2019 7:41 pm

fieldwalker wrote:
Id give it another..not like its racing.
No green shi droppings.

no, not that ive noticed f/w, no obvious loose droppings...........
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

Going Light...... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Going Light......   Going Light...... EmptyWed Apr 03, 2019 8:53 pm

MISTY wrote:
Would never give anything add lib, all tablets given together will do more harm than good.

Never lost a bird by it going light, seen friends lose the odd bird through not treating.

Better those who have dealt with the problem successfully I think.

Regards.

the 4 in 1 mentioned is for canker,cocci,worms and hexamita not antibiotics ...just to be clear in case you were thinking it was a antibiotic as there is one by the same name ...atb
Back to top Go down
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

Going Light...... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Going Light......   Going Light...... EmptyThu Apr 04, 2019 12:21 am

Never had one for many years. Isolate the bird releive the stress. She dies or not.
Stock bird broke there? Put her in the racing loft or young bird loft so she can get out and forage. Better than meds. JMO.
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

Going Light...... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Going Light......   Going Light...... EmptyThu Apr 04, 2019 8:31 am

me neither hal, havnt had a bird go light for years, that's probably why ive forgot how to treat one....... Embarassed Embarassed

I don't want to go down the antibiotic route unless I have to, but if I need to I will do.....off to corn shop today to see what he has.
Back to top Go down
barnie
Youngbird
Youngbird
barnie

Going Light...... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Going Light......   Going Light...... EmptyThu Apr 04, 2019 10:43 am

Take the pigeon with you David might be better if someone checks her for you? Just a thought.
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

Going Light...... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Going Light......   Going Light...... EmptyThu Apr 04, 2019 10:44 am

Do not think the anti biotic route sensible.

The Old Hand remedy has been around for over50 years, if it did not work it would not be so.

Never had more than the odd pigeon affected at any one time and cannot remember the last one, always gave just one tablet and left the rest to nature with open hole.

Having bred canaries for over 40 years, never had one go light, but those who keep them in cages often do

Just hope it works for you.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

Going Light...... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Going Light......   Going Light...... EmptyThu Apr 04, 2019 2:57 pm

got some harkers 4 in 1 and a new packet of old hand going light tablets, mine were a bit old .....we`ll see what happens. study
Back to top Go down
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

Going Light...... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Going Light......   Going Light...... EmptyFri Apr 05, 2019 12:34 am

What is the composition of the tablets?
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

Going Light...... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Going Light......   Going Light...... EmptyFri Apr 05, 2019 8:32 am

halcanada wrote:
What is the composition of the tablets?

says on the box hal

diclazuril 2.5mg

ronidazole 20.0mg

ivermectin 0.5mg

will give the hen one tablet shortly, fingers crossed it sorts her out....... study
Back to top Go down
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

Going Light...... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Going Light......   Going Light...... EmptyFri Apr 05, 2019 2:08 pm

Used Ivermectin on the hog herd. Kills worms and parasites.
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

Going Light...... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Going Light......   Going Light...... EmptyFri Apr 05, 2019 3:51 pm

Ivermectin was used by farmers for treating sheep, 40 odd years ago, when I had to part with the pigeons I still had a small bottle from a friend, ( illegally ) was diluted to suit pigeons, only needed it for the odd pigeon prior to a show, used for lice.

Threw it out with a number of other products I bought just in case bit never used.

Mentioned it in the BHW many years ago.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

Going Light...... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Going Light......   Going Light...... EmptyFri Apr 05, 2019 4:48 pm

gave the hen one tablet this morning, directions said no food or water for 2 hours after treatment.........no idea why scratch

is it for the tablet to take effect ...?
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

Going Light...... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Going Light......   Going Light...... EmptyFri Apr 05, 2019 6:03 pm

yes david that's the reasoning ...diclazuril should sort any cocci out ,roni for canker/hexamita and as hal says the ivomectin is for worms/parasites
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

Going Light...... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Going Light......   Going Light...... EmptyFri Apr 05, 2019 6:17 pm

lets hope it does, shes a good hen....I don't want to loose her. No
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

Going Light...... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Going Light......   Going Light...... EmptyFri Apr 05, 2019 7:37 pm

Just looked up ivermectin and when it became available to farmers etc; and also humans.

It was discovered in 1975 and started being used widely shortly after.

Had I not thrown the bottle away I would have known the date I got it as t was on the bottle, at that time it was not obtainable without a certificate.

Had no idea the vast number of uses it has for humans, in fact never knew it was used for humans.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

Going Light...... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Going Light......   Going Light...... EmptySat Apr 06, 2019 3:10 am

halcanada wrote:
Never had one for many years. Isolate the bird releive the stress. She dies or not.
Stock bird broke there? Put her in the racing loft or young bird loft so she can get out and forage. Better than meds. JMO.
Smile Smile Propping up a bird on average Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes that's not up to average from my perspective Hal Wink Wink I suggest. End of the day bounce bounce no sense leaving it in the breeding loft in the condition its in I suspect/know. cheers
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

Going Light...... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Going Light......   Going Light...... EmptySat Apr 06, 2019 10:29 am

no major signs of improvement yet, might be like worming tablets, you don't see them for a couple of days after treatment ..........that's what I`m hoping anyway. Crying or Very sad study
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Going Light...... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Going Light......   Going Light...... Empty

Back to top Go down

Going Light......
Page 1 of 1