Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» Weather today
Loft on Garage Roof ? Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 4:20 pm

» Good Morning
Loft on Garage Roof ? Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 4:18 pm

» BHW Subscriptions
Loft on Garage Roof ? Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 4:17 pm

» King removes Patronage
Loft on Garage Roof ? Emptyby David Thu May 09, 2024 8:46 pm

» escaped birds return
Loft on Garage Roof ? Emptyby David Thu May 09, 2024 10:25 am

» Leeds & District Amalgamation
Loft on Garage Roof ? Emptyby George & Morgan Mon May 06, 2024 4:58 pm

» York Road & District Results 2024
Loft on Garage Roof ? Emptyby David Mon May 06, 2024 4:53 pm

» Scandalous .......
Loft on Garage Roof ? Emptyby Knackered Sun May 05, 2024 7:31 am

» yb national winner
Loft on Garage Roof ? Emptyby George & Morgan Sat May 04, 2024 9:30 am

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) Loft on Garage Roof ? 20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 59 users online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 58 Guests :: 2 Bots

barnie

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.Loft on Garage Roof ? Resise10
Top posting users this week
George & Morgan
Loft on Garage Roof ? Vote_lcapLoft on Garage Roof ? Voting_barLoft on Garage Roof ? Vote_rcap 
David
Loft on Garage Roof ? Vote_lcapLoft on Garage Roof ? Voting_barLoft on Garage Roof ? Vote_rcap 
barnie
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1297 registered users
The newest registered user is tharunjohar50

Our users have posted a total of 222771 messages in 14004 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
Loft on Garage Roof ? Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
Loft on Garage Roof ? Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

Loft on Garage Roof ?

Go down 
+3
oldstrain
barnie
David
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

Loft on Garage Roof ? Empty
PostSubject: Loft on Garage Roof ?   Loft on Garage Roof ? EmptyWed Jul 08, 2020 4:46 pm

as most will know, my loft is only 14 x 8 and is 2 sections......as ive no other room to put a small loft up, i was wondering about a small one section loft on the garage roof .

would this need permission ?

any thoughts anyone .
Back to top Go down
barnie
Youngbird
Youngbird
barnie

PostSubject: Re: Loft on Garage Roof ?   Loft on Garage Roof ? EmptyWed Jul 08, 2020 6:16 pm

been through it David, there will be a height restriction involved, I think it's 2.7 metres max, about 9 feet in old money. Also should be 2 metres away from any boundary.
Search google for town and country planning act, permitted development, temporary structures. lots of useful information. I took advice, stuck to it and had no problems, touch wood!
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

PostSubject: Re: Loft on Garage Roof ?   Loft on Garage Roof ? EmptyWed Jul 08, 2020 7:08 pm

some councils vary but ours is 2.8 metres in height max....2 metres away from any boundary
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: Loft on Garage Roof ?   Loft on Garage Roof ? EmptyWed Jul 08, 2020 8:29 pm

my garage is up to the fence anyway, so how would that work if i had a loft on the garage roof ...?
Back to top Go down
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

PostSubject: Re: Loft on Garage Roof ?   Loft on Garage Roof ? EmptyWed Jul 08, 2020 11:31 pm

David wrote:
my garage is up to the fence anyway, so how would that work if i had a loft on the garage roof ...?

To be honest David, it will be your neighbours who will put a spanner in the works!!!

You erect the loft on top of the garage and see what happens, you may be lucky and have no problem from your neighbours cheers cheers

Best thing to look at is the planning portal

https://interactive.planningportal.co.uk/

Then you will be directed to a page showing Detached house Terraced House and Shops and Flats just click on Detached House and that will show you have you can and can't do

Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

PostSubject: Re: Loft on Garage Roof ?   Loft on Garage Roof ? EmptyThu Jul 09, 2020 1:05 am

David wrote:
Living as you do etc David Smile Smile I feel you may be in trouble I'm affraid Would require very understanding type neighbours I suspect/suggest bounce bounce for all to be happy in the end, from my perspective. cheers
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: Loft on Garage Roof ?   Loft on Garage Roof ? EmptyThu Jul 09, 2020 7:43 am

As things stand David and you intend I think to reduce your numbers is there any point in even the possibility of annoying neighbours.

Would at this time not be better to see if things pan out as they are.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
http://albertrosbottom35@outlook.com
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

PostSubject: Re: Loft on Garage Roof ?   Loft on Garage Roof ? EmptyFri Jul 10, 2020 2:08 am

MISTY wrote:
As things stand David  and you intend I think to reduce your numbers is there any point in even the possibility of annoying neighbours.

Would at this time not be better to see if things pan out as they are.

Regards.  
Could always put/place small cages/boxes around his fence line there maybe Misty Smile Smile. As Grumpy type neighbours bounce bounce do no one any good in a pigeon sense I would suggest. cheers & take care.
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: Loft on Garage Roof ?   Loft on Garage Roof ? EmptyFri Jul 10, 2020 5:19 am

Never ever had problems with neighbours Knackered always live and let live has been our motto.

Lucky in only having two neighbours, one either side and school opposite.

Have heard horror stories in some cases.

Nothing stranger than humans.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: Loft on Garage Roof ?   Loft on Garage Roof ? EmptyFri Jul 10, 2020 7:52 am

yes misty im planning on halfing my birds once its safe to have visitors to collect them, a fancier i know wants some but neither him nor me are out and about as normal yet .

as for neighbors , the garage is quite away from neighbors at one side, they cant really see the garage unless they look from an upstairs bedroom window, and then its only a small part of the garage..........the house at the other side doesnt have a view either and the garage can only be seen from the window at the top of the staircase, so probably no one would complain, they never have done .......my main concern is out of 22 houses in our cul de sac 5 are council owned, and they sometimes walk round checking their tenants gardens are tidy .......if they see a loft on the garage roof they might think they have a right to ask me to remove it, if they have or not i dont know, i have never asked their permission to build anything in the past, its none of their business as far as i was concerned ........lol! lol!

reason im considering a small one section loft, is im feeling the urge to maybe race a few young birds next year ........... scratch but dont have the room for them in the small loft i already have scratch study
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: Loft on Garage Roof ?   Loft on Garage Roof ? EmptyFri Jul 10, 2020 8:38 am

You are lucky to be able to build anything without planning permission David.

You are allowed to build an extension etc; (limited to area) without planning but must adhere to building regs.

Keeping animals here involving buildings of any kind you must have planning permission as to size and location etc; Once obtained no one bothers about size or anything else generally.

Never heard of anyone being refused in our area.

Good to hear you may have a go next year, all being well.

As you know a few good ones better than a lot with a lot of also rans amongst them.

Just hope we have got over this virus lark before then.

Regards.

Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: Loft on Garage Roof ?   Loft on Garage Roof ? EmptyFri Jul 10, 2020 9:43 am

yes misty, when i was younger i used to work with my brother who is a joiner, between us we did a lot of work building kitchen extensions, garages etc ......and at every stage, digging footings, concreting, damp course etc etc we had to have the building inspector out to check it was ok to continue .......now it seems they are a lot more relaxed, and building work is being done by people un qualified who do not comply with building regulations, and are producing sub standard, dangerous buildings ...........which are sometimes condemned years later, or given retrospective permission to remain, which in its self is not always a good thing as the work cannot possibly be properly checked once built .

yes its, only a thought to try a few ybs next season misty, i do have 5 sections over at my old lofts i could use if needed, but i dont really want to race to there.......in the garden is more convenient as i could have an electric supply for ets, plus its nearer to the house, and easier for keeping an eye on them while exercising etc ...
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

PostSubject: Re: Loft on Garage Roof ?   Loft on Garage Roof ? EmptyFri Jul 10, 2020 10:26 am

David wrote:
yes misty, when i was younger i used to work with my brother who is a joiner, between us we did a lot of work building kitchen extensions, garages etc ......and at every stage, digging footings, concreting, damp course etc etc we had to have the building inspector out to check it was ok to continue .......now it seems they are a lot more relaxed, and building work is being done by people un qualified who do not  comply with building regulations, and are producing sub standard, dangerous buildings ...........which are sometimes condemned years later, or given retrospective permission to remain, which in its self is not always a good thing as the work cannot possibly be properly checked once built .

yes its, only a thought to try a few ybs next season misty, i do have 5 sections over at my old lofts i could use if needed, but i dont really want to race to there.......in the garden is more convenient as i could have an electric supply for ets, plus its nearer to the house, and easier for keeping an eye on them while exercising etc ...
Your getting soft etc David Smile Smile what could be better Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes than trudging through the snow in winter bounce bounce to your birds at an allotment scenario Wink Wink. cheers flower alien
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: Loft on Garage Roof ?   Loft on Garage Roof ? EmptyFri Jul 10, 2020 11:07 am

yep, must be getting soft knackered ........ Razz Razz Razz paddled through mud for the past 12 winters, rain and cold weather 365 days per year , not for me any more, new loft 12 foot away from the house..........a lot easier cheers lol!
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

PostSubject: Re: Loft on Garage Roof ?   Loft on Garage Roof ? EmptyFri Jul 10, 2020 11:57 am

David wrote:

extend the garage itself to make a section ....only need another 6 ft and doorway Suspect any council busy bodies want to come round then just take birds out and put in the loft for the visit Basketball or just put a loft on the backend of the garage ,yb loft maybe or even take the last 6 ft of the existing garage ,all down to details of course
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

PostSubject: Re: Loft on Garage Roof ?   Loft on Garage Roof ? EmptyFri Jul 10, 2020 10:25 pm

David wrote:
yep, must be getting soft knackered ........ Razz Razz Razz  paddled through mud for the past 12 winters, rain and cold weather 365 days per year , not for me any more, new loft 12 foot away from the house..........a lot easier cheers lol!
Lucks falling your way at last etc David Wink Wink fortunate Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes your not down here at the moment with our lock down laws with the virus bounce bounce one poor woman yesterday Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad fined $1600 or there abouts for feeding her horse in a country paddock which was 8 miles from her home by some power hungry idiot of a copper type. It appears by his brain power Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes it just didn't quite fit into the essential box apparently Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad. cheers
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

PostSubject: Re: Loft on Garage Roof ?   Loft on Garage Roof ? EmptyFri Jul 10, 2020 10:41 pm

oldstrain wrote:
David wrote:

extend the garage itself to make a section ....only need another 6 ft and doorway Suspect any council busy bodies want to come round then just take birds out and put in the loft for the visit Basketball or just put a loft on the backend of the garage ,yb loft maybe or even take the last 6 ft of the existing garage ,all down to details of course
Could also Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes maybe O/S Very Happy Very Happy lol! lol! lol! just throw the daughter out etc bounce bounce I suggest, that had a piss up at the local pub recently Very Happy Very Happy without a care in the world for poor old mum & dads health there as such Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes. Empty bedroom Smile Smile could then become one rather nice new loft I suspect Wink Wink after a few small wee alterations  lol!  lol!  lol!. cheers & take care.
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: Loft on Garage Roof ?   Loft on Garage Roof ? EmptyFri Jul 10, 2020 11:10 pm

Knackered wrote:
oldstrain wrote:
David wrote:

Could also Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes maybe O/S Very Happy Very Happy lol! lol! lol! just throw the daughter out etc bounce bounce I suggest, that had a piss up at the local pub recently Very Happy Very Happy without a care in the world for poor old mum & dads health there as such Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes. Empty bedroom Smile Smile could then become one rather nice new loft I suspect Wink Wink after a few small wee alterations  lol!  lol!  lol!. cheers & take care.

youve a good memory knackered.................. lol! lol! a few box perches and feeding trays would be nice in the bedroom , scratch scratch scratch

20 ybs would do me nicely Razz Razz Razz cheers
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

PostSubject: Re: Loft on Garage Roof ?   Loft on Garage Roof ? EmptyFri Jul 10, 2020 11:20 pm

David wrote:
Knackered wrote:
oldstrain wrote:
David wrote:

youve a good memory knackered.................. lol! lol!  a few box perches and feeding trays would be nice in the bedroom , scratch scratch scratch

20 ybs would do me nicely Razz Razz Razz cheers
Smile Smile Could start a new trend there etc maybe David Wink Wink in a pigeon sense bounce bounce Future potential Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes  lol!  lol!  lol! unlimited I could say Wink Wink. cheers
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

PostSubject: Re: Loft on Garage Roof ?   Loft on Garage Roof ? EmptyFri Jul 10, 2020 11:24 pm

attic loft Suspect lol! lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

PostSubject: Re: Loft on Garage Roof ?   Loft on Garage Roof ? EmptySat Jul 11, 2020 12:19 am

oldstrain wrote:
attic loft Suspect lol! lol! lol!
Very Happy Very Happy like to see O/S Wink Wink how that one would fit with your local building regulations as such Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Smile Smile.   cheers flower alien
Back to top Go down
barnie
Youngbird
Youngbird
barnie

PostSubject: Re: Loft on Garage Roof ?   Loft on Garage Roof ? EmptySun Jul 12, 2020 7:05 am

convert the garage or half the garage for stock birds, stick them in there, and use your new loft to race young birds to. Would that work david?
Back to top Go down
halcanada81
Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Re: Loft on Garage Roof ?   Loft on Garage Roof ? EmptyMon Jul 13, 2020 3:09 pm

Stock birds. Better to retire performance birds. As mentioned had all sorts of strains before. Even the red Jansens had some poor performers. However, much less than other strains and the the odds of good uns went up as the ones to cull went down. Like breeds like most of the time.
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: Loft on Garage Roof ?   Loft on Garage Roof ? EmptyTue Jul 14, 2020 11:46 am

barnie wrote:
convert the garage or half the garage for stock birds, stick them in there, and use your new loft to race young birds to. Would that work david?

would prefer to race to the new loft colin, i could use the ets then .......plus i can keep an eye on the birds easier. thing is ive quite a lot of "stock" pigeons as i have been breeding to sell over the past 4 years or so, so its a choice of either continue to breed to sell, or clear them all out and race instead of selling .

garage is concrete block, and for me i dont think its a good environment for the pigeons, although some do have block lofts and are happy with them .
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: Loft on Garage Roof ?   Loft on Garage Roof ? EmptyTue Jul 14, 2020 12:46 pm

Get rid of the stock birds, have some fun David, you only live once.

A few good ones, easy to attend to can give more pleasure than a weight around your neck.

Believe me you can get all the pleasure you want without having large numbers.

Training is only needed if the pigeons are not fit but the most important is the basic health, easily obtained with a few that you know as individuals.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Loft on Garage Roof ?   Loft on Garage Roof ? Empty

Back to top Go down

Loft on Garage Roof ?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next