Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» Weather today
WHY? WHY? WHY? Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 11:44 am

» Good Morning
WHY? WHY? WHY? Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 11:42 am

» King removes Patronage
WHY? WHY? WHY? Emptyby George & Morgan Yesterday at 7:21 pm

» Leeds & District Amalgamation
WHY? WHY? WHY? Emptyby George & Morgan Mon May 06, 2024 4:58 pm

» York Road & District Results 2024
WHY? WHY? WHY? Emptyby David Mon May 06, 2024 4:53 pm

» escaped birds return
WHY? WHY? WHY? Emptyby Knackered Sun May 05, 2024 10:42 am

» Scandalous .......
WHY? WHY? WHY? Emptyby Knackered Sun May 05, 2024 7:31 am

» yb national winner
WHY? WHY? WHY? Emptyby George & Morgan Sat May 04, 2024 9:30 am

» good luck weekend
WHY? WHY? WHY? Emptyby Knackered Thu May 02, 2024 9:16 am

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) WHY? WHY? WHY? 20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 58 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 58 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.WHY? WHY? WHY? Resise10
Top posting users this week
George & Morgan
WHY? WHY? WHY? Vote_lcapWHY? WHY? WHY? Voting_barWHY? WHY? WHY? Vote_rcap 
David
Statistics
We have 1297 registered users
The newest registered user is tharunjohar50

Our users have posted a total of 222740 messages in 14003 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
WHY? WHY? WHY? Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
WHY? WHY? WHY? Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

WHY? WHY? WHY?

Go down 
+3
Knackered
David
MISTY
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

WHY? WHY? WHY? Empty
PostSubject: WHY? WHY? WHY?   WHY? WHY? WHY? EmptySun Aug 08, 2021 5:45 pm

BHW, 30th July 2021, article by Ad Schaerlaechens.

All fanciers would do well to read it, in particular those who worry about feed, lofts and medication.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
http://albertrosbottom35@outlook.com
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

WHY? WHY? WHY? Empty
PostSubject: Re: WHY? WHY? WHY?   WHY? WHY? WHY? EmptySun Aug 08, 2021 6:51 pm

i dont get homing world misty , nor the racing pigeon weekly No
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

WHY? WHY? WHY? Empty
PostSubject: Re: WHY? WHY? WHY?   WHY? WHY? WHY? EmptyMon Aug 09, 2021 2:03 am

MISTY wrote:

All fanciers would do well to read it, in particular those who worry about feed, lofts and medication.

Regards.
Glad Very Happy Very Happy your back here etc Misty Wink Wink important to keep the wheel in motion here as they say bounce bounce Wise man I found Ad Shad Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes as I call him. Talks the spin I've found in my time, but hard to find a more genuine type I suggest when he passes on his wisdom factor in a no nonsense truthful type manner in a pigeon type sense. bounce
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

WHY? WHY? WHY? Empty
PostSubject: Re: WHY? WHY? WHY?   WHY? WHY? WHY? EmptyMon Aug 09, 2021 10:00 am

ad shag talks alot of sense ,not one of the pompus money men brigade alot would do well to listen to his thoughts/words
Back to top Go down
Daz
Youngbird
Youngbird

WHY? WHY? WHY? Empty
PostSubject: Re: WHY? WHY? WHY?   WHY? WHY? WHY? EmptyMon Aug 09, 2021 3:16 pm

Yep, true O/S. I have few acticals written via him. All good woth sense.
True, one can't do them all ... and he has/does alters a little here and there. But always the same basics. Just a tweak like.c

Last edited by Daz on Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

WHY? WHY? WHY? Empty
PostSubject: Re: WHY? WHY? WHY?   WHY? WHY? WHY? EmptyMon Aug 09, 2021 4:50 pm

Thing I think he leaves out which is important, MOTIVATION.

In my opinion contentment and the love of the loft and environment
is more important in that respect than anything else, long term.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
Daz
Youngbird
Youngbird

WHY? WHY? WHY? Empty
PostSubject: Re: WHY? WHY? WHY?   WHY? WHY? WHY? EmptyTue Aug 10, 2021 7:46 am

Not such thing, that's why.
In possible to motivate a bird, unless it already has a love and wants to be at its home.
Motivation is needless if the three all important things are active. Contentment - love of home and wanting to be ther. Race fit, and mentally fit. J .M.O.
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

WHY? WHY? WHY? Empty
PostSubject: Re: WHY? WHY? WHY?   WHY? WHY? WHY? EmptyTue Aug 10, 2021 8:28 am

yes balance is the key...health,contentment and of course something to work with in the first place ie a brain/heart Cool funny how some never night out eh or ever have bad health eh there the ones we want but seldom get cheers
Back to top Go down
Daz
Youngbird
Youngbird

WHY? WHY? WHY? Empty
PostSubject: Re: WHY? WHY? WHY?   WHY? WHY? WHY? EmptyTue Aug 10, 2021 8:42 am

You know, I had a cracking Red Checker. Never had a night out from a race. Flew the distances every year too.
But never ever homed on the day of a toss. Was away 4 days once. Yet I sent it with confidence to the races.
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

WHY? WHY? WHY? Empty
PostSubject: Re: WHY? WHY? WHY?   WHY? WHY? WHY? EmptyTue Aug 10, 2021 9:43 am

Daz wrote:
Not such thing, that's why.
In possible to motivate a bird, unless it already has a love and wants to be at its home.
Motivation is needless if the three all important things are active. Contentment - love of home and wanting to be ther. Race fit, and mentally fit. J .M.O.

Motivation Daz is relevant in all walks of life or nothing would move.

In our sport it plays a most important part, Widowhood, Nest, etc; etc; etc;

As I have written numerous times, over the past 60 odd years the best Motivation is wanting to return to an environment they love and contentment, it is only common sense that the pigeons have to be capable in health and ability.

As I have written numerous times KEEP THINGS SIMPLE.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
Daz
Youngbird
Youngbird

WHY? WHY? WHY? Empty
PostSubject: Re: WHY? WHY? WHY?   WHY? WHY? WHY? EmptyTue Aug 10, 2021 10:37 am

A hen sitting 14 days is as much as it needs, you can't improve that ... again 3 weeks later. Like wise a cock bird driving a hen to nest with big youngster you can't improve on that.
tjhe amazing wonder is how clever one thinks, believes and tell other as such tjhey planned and got the Motivation just right... is really just placing the nesting circle in orde. The birds do the rest. Widow Hooder/ or hens just fly to love of home and THEIR territory... Ie. nest box/ perch etc. Cock birds don't care what id in the box getting home. A fantail or dove would be trod just the same.
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

WHY? WHY? WHY? Empty
PostSubject: Re: WHY? WHY? WHY?   WHY? WHY? WHY? EmptyTue Aug 10, 2021 3:34 pm

If you have an open loft, young bred in the same loft and kept with the parents
you have natural motivation all the time and if observant know when a certain pigeon is in prime form.

You also have in built immunity over a period of time, no swapping and changing for the latest in breed.

No one has ALL GOOD PIGEONS, but many waste a lot of money and time on ruined DUMMIES, using everything but the kitchen sink to keep them alive.

Everyone has a right to do what they want but facts speak loader than words.

Regards.

Back to top Go down
Daz
Youngbird
Youngbird

WHY? WHY? WHY? Empty
PostSubject: Re: WHY? WHY? WHY?   WHY? WHY? WHY? EmptyTue Aug 10, 2021 4:59 pm

If you have a open loft, the very benefit is the birds cycle. Natural conditions.
You know your birds etc. - or should do. You go in and look at their feet first. Clean, and fit doing a
Saint Virtus dance like. Then the alert eyes eyes. The eye liner. They will tell you. Then handle them into the into the basket. Feel their heated bodies.
So simple and easy. Their' Motivation ios in its self a beacon in its self.
Immunity? Surprised Surprised
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

WHY? WHY? WHY? Empty
PostSubject: Re: WHY? WHY? WHY?   WHY? WHY? WHY? EmptyTue Aug 10, 2021 5:47 pm

always liked the idea of an open loft, only thing that puzzled me is how they trap on race days ........or how they trap when exercising.

even when ive had mine out exercising, i always seem to have problems with them coming in ......so if they were on open loft i`d have no chance Suspect Suspect study scratch
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

WHY? WHY? WHY? Empty
PostSubject: Re: WHY? WHY? WHY?   WHY? WHY? WHY? EmptyTue Aug 10, 2021 7:06 pm

Daz wrote:
If you have a open loft, the very benefit is the birds cycle. Natural conditions.
You know your birds etc. - or should do. You go in and look at their feet first. Clean, and fit doing a
Saint Virtus dance like. Then the alert eyes eyes. The eye liner. They will tell you. Then handle them into the into the basket. Feel their heated bodies.
So simple and easy. Their' Motivation ios in its self a beacon in its self.
Immunity? Surprised Surprised

always liked a bird with warm feet cheers
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

WHY? WHY? WHY? Empty
PostSubject: Re: WHY? WHY? WHY?   WHY? WHY? WHY? EmptyTue Aug 10, 2021 7:23 pm

[quote="David"]always liked the idea of an open loft, only thing that puzzled me is how they trap on race days ........or how they trap when exercising.

even when ive had mine out exercising, i always seem to have problems with them coming in ......so if they were on open loft i`d have no chance Suspect Suspect study scratch [/quote

Never had a problem trapping David they were always too keen to muck about.

Never trained either young or old, only on the odd occasion for my own pleasure.

On open hole they were in and out all day much of which was in the air up and down, think making nests in and out, up and down etc; made them fit, this in the summer could be for well into double figure hours, you cannot get the same fitness by short tosses, nor for that matter long ones.

Got a lot of pleasure just watching them through the window enjoying life and sitting with them in the loft seeing what was what regarding form etc;

Many fanciers win using many different methods but many are spent forces in a couple of years and drug dependant.

Do not believe any fancier who says they do not use medication both preventative and curative if they swap and change methods and pigeons.

Funny old game.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
Daz
Youngbird
Youngbird

WHY? WHY? WHY? Empty
PostSubject: Re: WHY? WHY? WHY?   WHY? WHY? WHY? EmptyWed Aug 11, 2021 7:48 am

Hardly ever used in last few years. Conned via 'Fanciers Myths, and advertisement a few years back.
Had a couple here in case.... usually run out of date and never used.
Last time I went 40 odd miles to an Avian Vet. Spent £120 quiddies. Well spent. He did a great job. I also learnt a lot. Enough to put me off wasting money on medicences, which I had stopped many years before. Indeed 'Supermarkets' carry nigh all a medicence, or such, needed at far less prices.
Baytril and a different Canker, every time only.
For 'Deep Routed Canker' many, so very many entice and treat for umpteen other things which they are not. Canker in small doses are good for pigeons actually. They prevent other strains from entering. there are 33 different strains.
Canker quickly learns to thrive on any treatment for a pigeob - like rat poison for rats. So one must - if actually getting a canker, treat with a different cure every time.
Just hear the crap 'Have always use ****** and it does my birds great'! Rubbish!
Back to top Go down
barnie
Youngbird
Youngbird
barnie

WHY? WHY? WHY? Empty
PostSubject: Re: WHY? WHY? WHY?   WHY? WHY? WHY? EmptyWed Aug 11, 2021 8:18 am

Daz wrote:
Hardly ever used in last few years. Conned via 'Fanciers Myths, and advertisement  a few years back.
Had a couple here in case.... usually run out of date and never used.
Last time I went 40 odd miles to an Avian Vet.  Spent £120 quiddies. Well spent. He did a great job.  I also learnt a lot. Enough to put me off wasting money on medicences, which I had stopped many years before. Indeed 'Supermarkets' carry nigh all a medicence, or such, needed at far less prices.
Baytril and a different Canker, every time only.
For 'Deep Routed Canker' many, so very many entice and treat for umpteen other things which they are not. Canker in small doses are good for pigeons actually. They prevent other strains from entering. there are 33 different strains.
Canker quickly learns to thrive on any treatment for a pigeob - like rat poison for rats. So one must - if actually getting a canker, treat with a different cure every time.
Just hear the crap 'Have always use ****** and it does my birds great'! Rubbish!

Good post, I think canker isn't as prelevant these days as fanciers have taken a responsible approach to managing this problem, medicines or naturally.
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

WHY? WHY? WHY? Empty
PostSubject: Re: WHY? WHY? WHY?   WHY? WHY? WHY? EmptyWed Aug 11, 2021 8:27 am

yes daz if using canker treatments then be sure to alternate
Back to top Go down
Daz
Youngbird
Youngbird

WHY? WHY? WHY? Empty
PostSubject: Re: WHY? WHY? WHY?   WHY? WHY? WHY? EmptyWed Aug 11, 2021 8:48 am

Three famous avian Vets said 'Change, and mix with Baytril for Deep routed Canker, Plus a couple of National winner who told me the same, and how quick it put their pigeons right. One won the NRCC Thurso National three weeks after treating as such. Another had -- National winner- had told him as such. Both - indeed all told me. including a great scottish flyer ... told by another Avian Vet who also wrote / maybe not now as I don't get the BHW.

Was a time when a Match was wiped around the mouth and throat. seemed to do the trick back in them days.
Stu Wiskem was 12TH National from a That Thurso race. Said he birds came back in great shape. Rested up andtreated good for thje Lerwick Race - one he always wanted to win.
Never flew home. Got sent back in A Basket dead. He took it to that Avian Vet. Deep routed Cancer. Some quick.... but mostly lingers and get worse over a period of time... going through the loft.

Did I herd treat... No, not for that. Would treat every couple of years perhaps.
My biggest mistake, and cost was that £120 vet fee. Because I bought a bag of feed, maples for the week - end as I had run out etc. Another silly mistake, because it was their feed after a little linseed after the race.... clear any toxin's that may be there etc.
The bag, was damp. Didn't notice. On the Monday to Loughborough and Meadow VAvian vet. 33% YEAST, and nearly 40 % iron. Thought first of Samenello etc. They were falling apart. ASK HIM TO DO MORE TEST. HE SAID 'Sure its your money'! Said it was due too their fine condition and health prior that had held some together. Maybe hadn't eaten too much of the Maples. I took two I had culled and two really off colour.

He stated he doubted they would recover enough to race... but he'd do a free examination before I bred from them next season. He did me good and proud. Bred wrll and did ok. racing to a decent extent. He said that was mainly due to the system and fine keeping of the birds.

Sadly he retired soon after, about a year or two. But I never went, or needed to use his very good services again. P.s. I went to one very well advertise Vet - so called. Got taliking, as I so often do -I know you fgind that hard to believe lol'
I mention one or two sytoms regards Pigeon ailments. like samenella etc. He very politely said 'I'm not really up to that, have heard in regards of course. Call in a week or so and I will have looked it up for you'1 i never went back ... but sadly he stated what so very many so called vet should!

I went back to 'Farm Feed' at Brington, who closed sadly, only 20 miles away, to Cooks the other side of Leicester. Great prices. Great selection beside 'Named' feeds'.

Not hardly ever treated, but everone, but everyone would so very often remark what good condition my bnirds were always in. Barry Andrews, an Gary Edmunds said I put the 'Winner's' to shame lol. But the won more than me. Indeed Two of the very best flyers... many miles east of me though lol.
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

WHY? WHY? WHY? Empty
PostSubject: Re: WHY? WHY? WHY?   WHY? WHY? WHY? EmptyWed Aug 11, 2021 9:31 am

Beauty is only skin deep.

The continentals were using several treatments every month in the 1960s having ruined the basic immune system of their pigeons.

Our pigeons on the other hand were still basically prone only to the normal problems all livestock encounter.

Continental friend said we would be stupid to introduce their problems, (wrote same in the BHW).

Those intent on attempting to get an advantage said I was stupid, the results prove who the stupid ones are, and they are still around smiling in the sports publications, hand in gloves with the vets necessary to keep their sick pigeons alive.

Once you deviate from nature too far you have problems that eventually you are unable to deal with and we are well along that road, YBS etc; will not be the last problem the sport encounters health wise.

Regards.

Back to top Go down
Daz
Youngbird
Youngbird

WHY? WHY? WHY? Empty
PostSubject: Re: WHY? WHY? WHY?   WHY? WHY? WHY? EmptyWed Aug 11, 2021 12:24 pm

Many top flyers were using Cortisan. It was actually the goverment that took control and forced a halt .... well for a little while any way. As it was a strain on their' exports, damaging sales to unsespeting idiots buy birds falling to bits over here and other places.
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

WHY? WHY? WHY? Empty
PostSubject: Re: WHY? WHY? WHY?   WHY? WHY? WHY? EmptyWed Aug 11, 2021 6:59 pm

Daz wrote:
Many top flyers were using Cortisan. It was actually the goverment that took control and forced a halt .... well for a little while any way. As it was a strain on their' exports, damaging sales to unsespeting idiots buy birds falling to bits over here and other places.

Too true Daz.

Two fanciers purchased a number of continental pigeons, think it was in the 70s.

Had a well known good fancier have a look at them and told them he would not have them given as they had been given that product and he could tell by the feathers.

They sold them on the pedigrees and made a bomb.

On the other hand a local fancier who won out of turn offered youngsters at give away prices and no one wanted them.

FANCIERS ?????.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

WHY? WHY? WHY? Empty
PostSubject: Re: WHY? WHY? WHY?   WHY? WHY? WHY? EmptyWed Aug 11, 2021 10:54 pm

MISTY wrote:

Regards.

They are a great read I have kept every article that has appeared in the BHW in my folder
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

WHY? WHY? WHY? Empty
PostSubject: Re: WHY? WHY? WHY?   WHY? WHY? WHY? EmptyThu Aug 12, 2021 10:22 am

Just read in the papers that several Cabinet members at one time admitted taking illegal drugs and I feel the rest were lying.

Think it time for all those in positions of power to have regular health checks and the public made aware of any medication or condition that could affect their ability to carry out their duties.

Think we should start with the old fogy Judges who have obviously lost the plot.

As I have mentioned previously, the illegal drug trade is said to be worth billions so millions must be involved in their use.

Watched the lady running Scotland on the telly the other day, think she is far from being well., along with many MPs.

Regards.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

WHY? WHY? WHY? Empty
PostSubject: Re: WHY? WHY? WHY?   WHY? WHY? WHY? Empty

Back to top Go down

WHY? WHY? WHY?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Racing Pigeons,Show & Fancy Pigeons :: Message Forum :: R.P.R.A. Oneloft Syndicate 2017.-
Jump to: