Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» Weather today
breeding better pigeons - Page 2 Emptyby barnie Yesterday at 7:58 pm

» new hen for speed
breeding better pigeons - Page 2 Emptyby George & Morgan Yesterday at 6:51 pm

» Good Morning
breeding better pigeons - Page 2 Emptyby George & Morgan Yesterday at 10:21 am

» sorting birds out
breeding better pigeons - Page 2 Emptyby David Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:33 am

» new rules from Defra
breeding better pigeons - Page 2 Emptyby David Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:30 pm

» RPRA Auction ........
breeding better pigeons - Page 2 Emptyby David Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:40 pm

» overnight and multiple nights basket
breeding better pigeons - Page 2 Emptyby Knackered Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:21 pm

» Loft Location
breeding better pigeons - Page 2 Emptyby David Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:43 pm

» RPRA , WHAT DO THEY DO ?
breeding better pigeons - Page 2 Emptyby David Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:43 am

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) breeding better pigeons - Page 2 20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 55 users online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 54 Guests :: 2 Bots

George & Morgan

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.breeding better pigeons - Page 2 Resise10
Top posting users this week
George & Morgan
breeding better pigeons - Page 2 Vote_lcapbreeding better pigeons - Page 2 Voting_barbreeding better pigeons - Page 2 Vote_rcap 
David
breeding better pigeons - Page 2 Vote_lcapbreeding better pigeons - Page 2 Voting_barbreeding better pigeons - Page 2 Vote_rcap 
oldstrain
barnie
Knackered
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1293 registered users
The newest registered user is Meddy78

Our users have posted a total of 221961 messages in 13973 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
breeding better pigeons - Page 2 Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
breeding better pigeons - Page 2 Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

breeding better pigeons

Go down 
+11
Ginger
George & Morgan
peel bros
GRIZZLECOCK
oldstrain
spencerline
Don Webb
Lightning
David
Alex
IANYOUNG
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

breeding better pigeons - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: breeding better pigeons   breeding better pigeons - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 27, 2011 10:02 pm

hi kev, i hope it settles your mind and gives you some outcome to base your opinions on, but eyesign men such as jack barkel have studied all aspects of eyesign over their lifetime and still cant say for definate what eyesign means....

this reply you gave in a previous post is;

Olympic athletes and footballers have many people picking and deciding when and where or if they will play and these people choosing them have never competed at the highest level of sport but can find people who can compete.

but the above athletes arnt chosen by a coach looking at their eyes is it.......ive seen lizards with excellent looking eyes but they cant fly and win races, also as ive said before a lot of fantails have excellent eyes but couldnt race home from even 10 miles.

not knocking your theory and look forward to your findings..... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
spencerline
Hatchling
Hatchling
spencerline

PostSubject: Re: breeding better pigeons   breeding better pigeons - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 27, 2011 10:05 pm

[quote="
Why should you moddycoddle birds,and why would you think the cream will rise to the top,no way mate,the birds that adjust fast enough will usually get results in the 1st season,if you could continue through their yearling stage,2/3/4/5/6/7 year olds would probable tell you a totally different story.[/quote]

My main interest is birds that will mature quickly and deliver in their early years rather than wait for 5 years for a possible card. As you know it is Very expensive to keep pigeons nowadays and I have 500 of them.

So to my way of thinking that suits me and my situation things are gonna be done by process of elimination, the birds are getting and will continue to get the very best of food and vitamins etc, and in 2013 those birds from the EYESIGN pairs will join the party, bred from entirely different stock and even then their parents will have been picked from 130 different Random choices.

They will not only race against Thousands of other pigeons every week but they will also race againdt there own loftmates bred from performance to performance birds. And these have been bred over 4 years. The older birds ought to outperform the yearlings.
We will see or I will see and I will catalogue my findings, Kev
Back to top Go down
http://www.algarvepigeonracing.webs.com
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: breeding better pigeons   breeding better pigeons - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 27, 2011 10:09 pm

kev, a couple of years ago i intentianally paired certain pairs on eyesign alone, the ybs were no good and did nothing, so was this that eyesign is not to be beleived, or that the pigeons were no good....?
Back to top Go down
spencerline
Hatchling
Hatchling
spencerline

PostSubject: Re: breeding better pigeons   breeding better pigeons - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 27, 2011 10:15 pm

David wrote:
hi kev, i hope it settles your mind and gives you some outcome to base your opinions on, but eyesign men such as jack barkel have studied all aspects of eyesign over their lifetime and still cant say for definate what eyesign means....

... Very Happy

Lol Hi David, Jack Barkel is Jack Barkel and I am Me but Barkle believed in eyesign enough to make his breeding pairings. His system was too complicated if you ask me and as I say I am in a position to really test eyesign against performance breeding with top quality pigeons against each other years of strong loft mates bred by performance birds to performance birds and thousands of federation pigeons.

This is Systems Analisys and I will convince at least myself by the end of 2013 Nuff said. Kev
Back to top Go down
spencerline
Hatchling
Hatchling
spencerline

PostSubject: Re: breeding better pigeons   breeding better pigeons - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 27, 2011 10:21 pm

David wrote:
kev, a couple of years ago i intentianally paired certain pairs on eyesign alone, the ybs were no good and did nothing, so was this that eyesign is not to be beleived, or that the pigeons were no good....?

Hi David , as I say I do not profess to be an eyesign expert but were the birds from a hardworking consistant winning family? Kev
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: breeding better pigeons   breeding better pigeons - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 27, 2011 10:35 pm

well as you know kev, most fanciers think their birds are good.....lol, the birds in question were bred off stock which i bought, but as we know the birds they are going to compete against will also have supposed proved pedigrees and maybe reasonable eyesign...........but as we all know there are more things to consider than just a good looking eye, for example loft management, a fancier could have the best winning pigeons in the world, but if he doesnt manage them correctly they wont win.
Back to top Go down
spencerline
Hatchling
Hatchling
spencerline

PostSubject: Re: breeding better pigeons   breeding better pigeons - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 27, 2011 10:49 pm

David wrote:
well as you know kev, for example loft management, a fancier could have the best winning pigeons in the world, but if he doesnt manage them correctly they wont win.

Exactly my position and my point, I have spent a few thousand on birds I have brought to Portugal the young will begin to race in March , not these old birds I am pairing up via the eye but as you corectly say, all the eyesign in the world will not make a bird win unless it is managed correctly or unless it is subjected to the same regime as 2 thousand other birds in a one loft race. Kev
Back to top Go down
Alex
Youngbird
Youngbird
Alex

PostSubject: Re: breeding better pigeons   breeding better pigeons - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 27, 2011 10:56 pm

spencerline wrote:
David wrote:

Hi David , as I say I do not profess to be an eyesign expert but were the birds from a hardworking consistant winning family? Kev

right heres my take on this, if davids pigeons werent consistent but had good eyes then surely the eyes arent enough alone to have made them good? it relies also on body structure and how many previous generations have scored?
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: breeding better pigeons   breeding better pigeons - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 27, 2011 10:56 pm

kev, what is your opinion on the developement of yb eyesign, do you think the eye is not fully developed until the adult stage ie yearling or two year old.....?

if so at what age would you considerit possible to consider the eye for breeding purposes...?
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: breeding better pigeons   breeding better pigeons - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 27, 2011 11:00 pm

alex wrote:
spencerline wrote:
David wrote:

right heres my take on this, if davids pigeons werent consistent but had good eyes then surely the eyes arent enough alone to have made them good? it relies also on body structure and how many previous generations have scored?

i think youve raised a good point alex, i once asked jack barkel , does pairing by eyesign alter the build/structure of the offsprings and future offspring ie grandchildren, g grandchildren etc.

he said by using eyesign it does alter the structure so therefore you need to know what changes it will bring about when pairing certain types of eye togeather, for future generations.
Back to top Go down
spencerline
Hatchling
Hatchling
spencerline

PostSubject: Re: breeding better pigeons   breeding better pigeons - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 27, 2011 11:04 pm

alex wrote:
spencerline wrote:
David wrote:

Hi Alex, there are birds with good eyes that are not good breeders but there seem to be no birds with poor eyes that are good breeders. So logic says good breeders have good eyes and you can narrow it down from a winning hard working family breed from the best eyes.
Back to top Go down
Alex
Youngbird
Youngbird
Alex

PostSubject: Re: breeding better pigeons   breeding better pigeons - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 27, 2011 11:06 pm

yes thats a similar thing to what i have heard, good pigeons never have a bad eye but bad pigeons can have a good eye which makes it hard also does a purple eye supposedly point to a good breeder?
Back to top Go down
spencerline
Hatchling
Hatchling
spencerline

PostSubject: Re: breeding better pigeons   breeding better pigeons - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 27, 2011 11:07 pm

David wrote:
kev, what is your opinion on the developement of yb eyesign, do you think the eye is not fully developed until the adult stage ie yearling or two year old.....?

if so at what age would you considerit possible to consider the eye for breeding purposes...?

I do not know so I am not qualified to say but My friend Myron who is an eyesign expert reckons that you can grade abird in the nest.
Back to top Go down
spencerline
Hatchling
Hatchling
spencerline

PostSubject: Re: breeding better pigeons   breeding better pigeons - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 27, 2011 11:10 pm

Alex wrote:
yes thats a similar thing to what i have heard, good pigeons never have a bad eye but bad pigeons can have a good eye which makes it hard also does a purple eye supposedly point to a good breeder?

Hi Alex apparently eye colour does not matter at all in picking a breder.
Back to top Go down
Alex
Youngbird
Youngbird
Alex

PostSubject: Re: breeding better pigeons   breeding better pigeons - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 27, 2011 11:12 pm

Interesting, its something that does intrigue me, the fact that a good pigeon doesnt have a bad eye but the trouble is i dont know the difference Embarassed
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: breeding better pigeons   breeding better pigeons - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 27, 2011 11:15 pm

the point you make about a good pigeon never having a bad eyesign alex, ive heard many times.......the thing which makes me think is that its easy to evaluate an eye with hindsight. ie knowing the bird has won, or bred winners.
Back to top Go down
Alex
Youngbird
Youngbird
Alex

PostSubject: Re: breeding better pigeons   breeding better pigeons - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 27, 2011 11:21 pm

thing is i looked into it a bit but didnt understand it if im honest as i didnt know what im looking for scratch the pair that bred my best yb dont seem to have amazing eyes if i remember right so would be intresting to have a look at them properly and see study
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: breeding better pigeons   breeding better pigeons - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 27, 2011 11:29 pm

i think most pigeon men presume that just because some eyes are dark/.rich in colour with a big thick circle of corrilation....that it is a good eye, some eyes which look nothing and are devoid of any lines or mountainous ridges are better than they think.

eyes which are wishy washy and look week in the iris are by some considered to belong to birds with speed, but by others to belong to birds who will only win in a blow home or easy race.............

alot to think about in eyesign eh lol!
Back to top Go down
peel bros
Oldbird
Oldbird
peel bros

PostSubject: Re: breeding better pigeons   breeding better pigeons - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 28, 2011 7:43 am

i,m not bothered about eyes,like they say as long as they have 2, the basket sorts them out for me,do,nt get me wrong when i handle a bird i do look at the eye,i think most of us do but i do,nt really know what i,m lookinf for...i,ve had birds win with wild eyes and birds with beautifull coulered eyes but still do,nt know what the best ones are
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: breeding better pigeons   breeding better pigeons - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 28, 2011 3:55 pm

i think part of it is down to personal likes and dislikes ray..........some might like a dark eye whereas some might like a "wild" light coloured iris with no lines or ridges.
Back to top Go down
GRIZZLECOCK
Chipping
Chipping

PostSubject: Re: breeding better pigeons   breeding better pigeons - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 28, 2011 7:00 pm

David wrote:
alex wrote:
spencerline wrote:
David wrote:

i think youve raised a good point alex, i once asked jack barkel , does pairing by eyesign alter the build/structure of the offsprings and future offspring ie grandchildren, g grandchildren etc.

he said by using eyesign it does alter the structure so therefore you need to know what changes it will bring about when pairing certain types of eye togeather, for future generations.

to be honest,i would take barkels"eyesign"with a pinch of salt,hes been groping in the dark for years,and has made himself look a fool on other forums,after we got him hook line and sinker he had the audacity to demand posts were changed to suit his typical inflated ego..ha.ha,just another in a long list
Back to top Go down
George & Morgan
Oldbird
Oldbird
George & Morgan

PostSubject: breeding better pigeons   breeding better pigeons - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 28, 2011 7:09 pm

try watching a dvd on the subject i was never so bored that's why chris has them
Back to top Go down
Ginger
Youngbird
Youngbird
Ginger

PostSubject: Re: breeding better pigeons   breeding better pigeons - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 28, 2011 7:43 pm

If eyes is that good why dont theis eye men top the feds all the time, it not a case of good or bad eyes just look when you are shown the winners of races their is not many eyes the same but they are all winners study study study study study study study study study
Back to top Go down
spencerline
Hatchling
Hatchling
spencerline

PostSubject: Re: breeding better pigeons   breeding better pigeons - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 28, 2011 7:44 pm

Alex wrote:
spencerline wrote:
David wrote:

If the birds were being Linebred from a consistant winning family nearly all the bodies would be the same in any case. If you were outcrossing it would be a simple enough task to pair similar birds together. Common sense would say dont pair the biggest pigeons in the loft together but in any case good birds come in all colours, shapes and sizes.

It is my opinion that Eyesign is a good tool to help select the correct birds for breeding from a consistant hard working family (The key word being Family) and it has as much relevance if not more than pulling on their beaks or looking at the birds throats or body shapes, unless of course the fancier is linebreeding and he or she knows that a certain trait in a bird of his family has some significance in it.
Back to top Go down
Alex
Youngbird
Youngbird
Alex

PostSubject: Re: breeding better pigeons   breeding better pigeons - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 28, 2011 7:49 pm

Oh yes kev im not knocking it, just trying to get an understanding of it and how the eyes influence its ability to pass on the right genes to their offspring. Just im having trouble understanding what a good eye is and a bad one as there seems to be different views on what a certain eyes trait is.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: breeding better pigeons   breeding better pigeons - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

breeding better pigeons
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next