Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» Weather today
do they are dont they Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 8:51 am

» Good Morning
do they are dont they Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 6:10 am

» sorting birds out
do they are dont they Emptyby David Yesterday at 11:33 am

» new rules from Defra
do they are dont they Emptyby David Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:30 pm

» RPRA Auction ........
do they are dont they Emptyby David Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:40 pm

» overnight and multiple nights basket
do they are dont they Emptyby Knackered Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:21 pm

» Loft Location
do they are dont they Emptyby David Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:43 pm

» RPRA , WHAT DO THEY DO ?
do they are dont they Emptyby David Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:43 am

» RPRA Auction
do they are dont they Emptyby David Sun Mar 17, 2024 2:04 pm

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) do they are dont they 20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 54 users online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 53 Guests :: 1 Bot

George & Morgan

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.do they are dont they Resise10
Top posting users this week
George & Morgan
do they are dont they Vote_lcapdo they are dont they Voting_bardo they are dont they Vote_rcap 
David
do they are dont they Vote_lcapdo they are dont they Voting_bardo they are dont they Vote_rcap 
oldstrain
Knackered
barnie
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1293 registered users
The newest registered user is Meddy78

Our users have posted a total of 221951 messages in 13972 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
do they are dont they Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
do they are dont they Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

do they are dont they

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
IANYOUNG
Oldbird
Oldbird
IANYOUNG

do they are dont they Empty
PostSubject: do they are dont they   do they are dont they EmptySun Dec 26, 2010 5:41 pm

my experience of locking up widowhood hens is they do get stressed however its possibly the best way of stopping them pairing up and keeping them fresh for the cocks whats your view on this please
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: do they are dont they   do they are dont they EmptySun Dec 26, 2010 5:50 pm

when i raced widowhood years ago we had to be careful that the hens wouldnt pair up, as we all know this would ruin our widowhood cocks for insentive purposes to race home quickly...........to try combat this we would leave the hens in the aviery during the day on roofing lats placed accross the aviery which didnt give them a nice comfortable place to nest and pair up, we also would keep them a little light on their feed and never used any floor covering which would encourage them to nest also...........

when i do get round to racing widowhood this year hopefully, i think i will try stick to these methods as i personally dont like having birds locked up all the time and having no freedom..............i wouldnt confine my birds just to win a race or two, but i do understand why fanciers do it if they are keen to win.
Back to top Go down
IANYOUNG
Oldbird
Oldbird
IANYOUNG

PostSubject: Re: do they are dont they   do they are dont they EmptySun Dec 26, 2010 5:51 pm

spot on david not nice seeing them stressed
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: do they are dont they   do they are dont they EmptySun Dec 26, 2010 5:56 pm

as you know, ive a lot to learn ian....but am trying to stick to what i can remember from before, i know its easier for the fancier really to have hens locked in the boxes but like i say im not happy doing this..............
Back to top Go down
IANYOUNG
Oldbird
Oldbird
IANYOUNG

PostSubject: Re: do they are dont they   do they are dont they EmptySun Dec 26, 2010 5:57 pm

this is why i built another loft away from the cocks with v perches in it works for me
Back to top Go down
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

PostSubject: Re: do they are dont they   do they are dont they EmptySun Dec 26, 2010 7:27 pm

DAVID wrote:
when i raced widowhood years ago we had to be careful that the hens wouldnt pair up, as we all know this would ruin our widowhood cocks for insentive purposes to race home quickly...........to try combat this we would leave the hens in the aviery during the day on roofing lats placed accross the aviery which didnt give them a nice comfortable place to nest and pair up, we also would keep them a little light on their feed and never used any floor covering which would encourage them to nest also...........

when i do get round to racing widowhood this year hopefully, i think i will try stick to these methods as i personally dont like having birds locked up all the time and having no freedom..............i wouldnt confine my birds just to win a race or two, but i do understand why fanciers do it if they are keen to win.

David that is spot on did the same mate but always made sure the hens were kept hungry but not starving

One thing i always did was on a friday night after they saw the cocks gave them a good feed to fill them up as when the cock returns they am only interested in mating with the cock and not food
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: do they are dont they   do they are dont they EmptySun Dec 26, 2010 9:57 pm

if i remember correctly don i think we fed the hens on barley or depurative........ scratch
Back to top Go down
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

PostSubject: Re: do they are dont they   do they are dont they EmptyMon Dec 27, 2010 10:44 am

Barley more than likely mate
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: do they are dont they   do they are dont they Empty

Back to top Go down

do they are dont they
Page 1 of 1