Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» overnight and multiple nights basket
Pigeons scratching beak and head area Emptyby tanveerhbaig Today at 8:26 am

» Good Morning
Pigeons scratching beak and head area Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 7:31 am

» Weather today
Pigeons scratching beak and head area Emptyby David Yesterday at 11:59 am

» RPRA Auction
Pigeons scratching beak and head area Emptyby David Sun Mar 17, 2024 2:04 pm

» First post on pigeon categories
Pigeons scratching beak and head area Emptyby oldstrain Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:26 am

» Catching a pigeon
Pigeons scratching beak and head area Emptyby oldstrain Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:25 am

» RPRA Latest .
Pigeons scratching beak and head area Emptyby David Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:14 pm

» RPRA Levy ?
Pigeons scratching beak and head area Emptyby David Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:43 am

» RPRA , WHAT DO THEY DO ?
Pigeons scratching beak and head area Emptyby David Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:35 am

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) Pigeons scratching beak and head area 20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 60 users online :: 2 Registered, 0 Hidden and 58 Guests :: 2 Bots

George & Morgan, tanveerhbaig

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.Pigeons scratching beak and head area Resise10
Top posting users this week
oldstrain
Pigeons scratching beak and head area Vote_lcapPigeons scratching beak and head area Voting_barPigeons scratching beak and head area Vote_rcap 
tanveerhbaig
Pigeons scratching beak and head area Vote_lcapPigeons scratching beak and head area Voting_barPigeons scratching beak and head area Vote_rcap 
David
Knackered
barnie
George & Morgan
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1293 registered users
The newest registered user is Meddy78

Our users have posted a total of 221838 messages in 13968 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
Pigeons scratching beak and head area Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
Pigeons scratching beak and head area Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

Pigeons scratching beak and head area

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
nikkimass35
In egg (newbie)
In egg (newbie)

Pigeons scratching beak and head area Empty
PostSubject: Pigeons scratching beak and head area   Pigeons scratching beak and head area EmptySat Mar 12, 2011 7:56 pm

Hi all, for a year or so i have noticed my birds sneezing and scratching around there head area. I have treated for canker, and used doxcycline as i had a bit of resportary last year with young birds, but birds are still doing do it. They look fine in them selves and flying well round the house and did well from very hard channel races last year. I also gave them ivomec last year as i thought it could be some sort of mite. Does anyone have any ideas to what could be causing it. Thanks for reading. Mass
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: Pigeons scratching beak and head area   Pigeons scratching beak and head area EmptySat Mar 12, 2011 8:01 pm

dont know reqlly, if you have treated with doxycyclin it would have cured most ailments i would have thought.........is your loft dusty.....?
Back to top Go down
Lightning
Hatchling
Hatchling
Lightning

PostSubject: Re: Pigeons scratching beak and head area   Pigeons scratching beak and head area EmptySat Mar 12, 2011 8:05 pm

just a bit of dust mate, you could always try sliepsanol (not sure of spelling) but this natural product will initially make them snot & sneeze............but will certainly clear all mucus, dust, powder etc

do you use loft white or deep litter
Back to top Go down
Ginger
Youngbird
Youngbird
Ginger

PostSubject: Re: Pigeons scratching beak and head area   Pigeons scratching beak and head area EmptySat Mar 12, 2011 8:12 pm

Do your birds go out much or do they get a bath it all most sounds like you have too much bloom on your birds and it is affecting their nostols
Back to top Go down
nikkimass35
In egg (newbie)
In egg (newbie)

PostSubject: Re: Pigeons scratching beak and head area   Pigeons scratching beak and head area EmptySat Mar 12, 2011 8:17 pm

Hi ya ginger, My birds have started going out the last month or so. I did give them a bath today, but it was there first in a long while. I think you might have a point with the bloom, because when i go in the loft i always come out covered in blom.
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: Pigeons scratching beak and head area   Pigeons scratching beak and head area EmptySat Mar 12, 2011 8:19 pm

whats your ventilation like...........?
Back to top Go down
nikkimass35
In egg (newbie)
In egg (newbie)

PostSubject: Re: Pigeons scratching beak and head area   Pigeons scratching beak and head area EmptySat Mar 12, 2011 8:20 pm

Hi ya david. my loft isnt that dusty i have a mesh door on all day so think ventilation is ok
Back to top Go down
nikkimass35
In egg (newbie)
In egg (newbie)

PostSubject: Re: Pigeons scratching beak and head area   Pigeons scratching beak and head area EmptySat Mar 12, 2011 8:24 pm

Hi lightning dont use deep litter, but have started using loft white in the last couple of weeks, but this has been going on alot longer. My friend has sliepsanol so might give that a go.
Back to top Go down
Ginger
Youngbird
Youngbird
Ginger

PostSubject: Re: Pigeons scratching beak and head area   Pigeons scratching beak and head area EmptySat Mar 12, 2011 8:27 pm

David could be right it sounds like you wont to put some vents or lovers close to the roof you should only get bloom when you handle the birds you must have a circulation of air
Back to top Go down
nikkimass35
In egg (newbie)
In egg (newbie)

PostSubject: Re: Pigeons scratching beak and head area   Pigeons scratching beak and head area EmptySat Mar 12, 2011 8:30 pm

I have 2 big vents bottom front of loft plus mesh door on all day. And at back of loft i have a 4inch gap just under roof running the whole lenght of loft which is 10ft, Do you think i need more vents.
Back to top Go down
Ginger
Youngbird
Youngbird
Ginger

PostSubject: Re: Pigeons scratching beak and head area   Pigeons scratching beak and head area EmptySat Mar 12, 2011 8:44 pm

It sounds allright to me a lot of lofts/sheds have this polycarbonet on the front which I dont like I have it on at the moment to keep the easterly rian out it will be off by the 1st april in the front I have 4 2ft louvers and plaster lath about half the loft 32ft long and I dont get too many problems I am just trying to help what I have said about air it may not have anything to do with it
Back to top Go down
nikkimass35
In egg (newbie)
In egg (newbie)

PostSubject: Re: Pigeons scratching beak and head area   Pigeons scratching beak and head area EmptySat Mar 12, 2011 9:13 pm

Hi ginger thanks for reply. I will add a few more vents tomorrow, as i have some lying around in the shed. im no expert but it seems to me like they have some sort of mite around there head area, but have tried most things on the market. I was given some youngsters last year and within 3 days they were scratching. I started with 10 youngsters raced 5 races only lost 3 and even picked up a couple of cards, so im sure its nothing serious. Even at my old address i had a 8ft by 6ft loft with 8ft by 6ft avery so they had plenty of ventilation. I think it will be a waist of time getting them tested. Well i will try more vents and see how we get on.
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: Pigeons scratching beak and head area   Pigeons scratching beak and head area EmptySat Mar 12, 2011 9:25 pm

did you say they are sneezing .......?
Back to top Go down
nikkimass35
In egg (newbie)
In egg (newbie)

PostSubject: Re: Pigeons scratching beak and head area   Pigeons scratching beak and head area EmptySun Mar 13, 2011 8:55 am

yes sometimes they sneeze when they scratch.
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: Pigeons scratching beak and head area   Pigeons scratching beak and head area EmptySun Mar 13, 2011 6:05 pm

DAVID wrote:
did you say they are sneezing .......?

scratch forgot why i asked that question, did have an idea if they were sneezing but cant remember now............ scratch study lol!
Back to top Go down
kev d
Youngbird
Youngbird
kev d

PostSubject: Re: Pigeons scratching beak and head area   Pigeons scratching beak and head area EmptySun Mar 13, 2011 6:13 pm

saw on cracked it vol 2 a belgium flyer spraying his birds with a very fine
mist spray can,t remember what was in the spray but he did it every time they came back from a race
it cleared there heads of all the gunk and also relaxed them they were soaking wet but they seamed
to love it . try putting some vicks on the nest box walls or even albas oil a few drops on the nest box floor
over night see how it goes .
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pigeons scratching beak and head area   Pigeons scratching beak and head area Empty

Back to top Go down

Pigeons scratching beak and head area
Page 1 of 1