Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» good luck weekend
what strain of pigeons do you have for long distance racing 600 to 730 miles - Page 4 Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 1:44 pm

» Good Morning
what strain of pigeons do you have for long distance racing 600 to 730 miles - Page 4 Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 10:13 am

» Ian Evans BHW Letter
what strain of pigeons do you have for long distance racing 600 to 730 miles - Page 4 Emptyby Knackered Today at 1:17 am

» birds on loan
what strain of pigeons do you have for long distance racing 600 to 730 miles - Page 4 Emptyby Knackered Today at 12:40 am

» photo of Morgan
what strain of pigeons do you have for long distance racing 600 to 730 miles - Page 4 Emptyby Knackered Today at 12:20 am

» Weather today
what strain of pigeons do you have for long distance racing 600 to 730 miles - Page 4 Emptyby George & Morgan Yesterday at 5:23 pm

» Hotting up in the Middle East
what strain of pigeons do you have for long distance racing 600 to 730 miles - Page 4 Emptyby David Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:35 pm

» Homing World Stud Book
what strain of pigeons do you have for long distance racing 600 to 730 miles - Page 4 Emptyby George & Morgan Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:46 am

» York Road & District Results 2024
what strain of pigeons do you have for long distance racing 600 to 730 miles - Page 4 Emptyby David Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:39 am

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) what strain of pigeons do you have for long distance racing 600 to 730 miles - Page 4 20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 75 users online :: 2 Registered, 0 Hidden and 73 Guests :: 2 Bots

barnie, George & Morgan

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.what strain of pigeons do you have for long distance racing 600 to 730 miles - Page 4 Resise10
Top posting users this week
George & Morgan
what strain of pigeons do you have for long distance racing 600 to 730 miles - Page 4 Vote_lcapwhat strain of pigeons do you have for long distance racing 600 to 730 miles - Page 4 Voting_barwhat strain of pigeons do you have for long distance racing 600 to 730 miles - Page 4 Vote_rcap 
David
what strain of pigeons do you have for long distance racing 600 to 730 miles - Page 4 Vote_lcapwhat strain of pigeons do you have for long distance racing 600 to 730 miles - Page 4 Voting_barwhat strain of pigeons do you have for long distance racing 600 to 730 miles - Page 4 Vote_rcap 
Knackered
barnie
oldstrain
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1296 registered users
The newest registered user is nelsa19ira

Our users have posted a total of 222393 messages in 13991 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
what strain of pigeons do you have for long distance racing 600 to 730 miles - Page 4 Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
what strain of pigeons do you have for long distance racing 600 to 730 miles - Page 4 Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

what strain of pigeons do you have for long distance racing 600 to 730 miles

Go down 
+26
markevans
devo56
amberleaf
Ginger
GRIZZLECOCK
killer
Knackered
halcanada
sjrw
seanl
blood red
edgie
delbar
Don Webb
EssexSteve
spencerline
kev d
chris perry
bazzio73
Rene A
oldstrain
Grizzle cock
Lightning
peel bros
David
stormqueen
30 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

what strain of pigeons do you have for long distance racing 600 to 730 miles - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: what strain of pigeons do you have for long distance racing 600 to 730 miles   what strain of pigeons do you have for long distance racing 600 to 730 miles - Page 4 EmptySat Mar 15, 2014 10:50 pm

halcanada wrote:
Well said! Actually we have Marmite in the cupboard. Had it in Queensland were I jumped ship in Rockhampton. Close to Townsville.  Cut cane for a week or three. Brutal but Marmite kept me going! Never seen any pigeons there except doves.Son in law lives in Sydney. Never could understand why he left Canada to go there. Oh well. Win the lotto first place I will head for! Rainy fog bound UK, freezing cold Canada, pigeons race in any conditions regardless.  

Could I suggest  Wink  Wink your son in law "Smart man" desired to escape all that snow there you have. I still remember even today, some photo's sent to me years ago by Tom. The snow was up too & over the roofs of the houses etc at the time Rolling Eyes  Rolling Eyes & the only way you would find the loft in the back yard was to tunnel to it like a rat.  cheers
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

what strain of pigeons do you have for long distance racing 600 to 730 miles - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: what strain of pigeons do you have for long distance racing 600 to 730 miles   what strain of pigeons do you have for long distance racing 600 to 730 miles - Page 4 EmptySat Mar 15, 2014 11:06 pm

halcanada wrote:
Alice Springs to Adelaide. 800 plus. That is some distance! Do not know of any country other than China flying that distance.  

Walk in the park  Rolling Eyes  Rolling Eyes type thing Halcanada  Smile Smile ???. It's the only race here that I know of at the distance, that has a qualication attached to it etc & that is, that they must be what we call old birds, like 2 year olds & above to compete. Up to 700 miles Smile Smile Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes were quite happy to put in what we call late breds here "Around 6 months old" & exspect to clock them. cheers
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

PostSubject: Re: what strain of pigeons do you have for long distance racing 600 to 730 miles   what strain of pigeons do you have for long distance racing 600 to 730 miles - Page 4 EmptySun Mar 16, 2014 2:28 am

edgie wrote:
i think alott of the old austrailian blood carries the old northropp barker strain, could anyone enlighten cheers 

Sorry Edgie  lol! lol! lol! I've had a seniors moment here I suspect Rolling Eyes  Rolling Eyes I'm  affraid (Lost post)  I thought I posted quite a lengthy bit of information to your query here, hours ago. Sadly !!!  bounce  bounce I carn't find it etc. As such I will start again  Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes. Yes !!! your more than likely correct with what you say "re the barker's" etc, thou many breeds came out here early in the piece before they closed the borders type of thing, around the time of the 2nd world war & it was a closed shop until the late 80's when they then allowed imports to come in again here. Thou !!!! bounce bounce Wink Wink there were a few that fell of a boat etc or come in as eggs Wink Wink in that time. Jurion's, Osman's & the Git's (Which I still have) & also  in particular the Harrisions (Who, I believe was a bit shifty) etc which were hard to beat if you got the good ones at that time. All played a part in what many had here for many years. I even had some Carpontia Deshutter's (Wrong spelling) Wink Wink  when I was young, from a close friend who brought them out here in the 1920's & he was most sucessful with them in his time & they come from the Queens fathers loft or his gate keeper ??? or school teacher on his estate. One of the other Smile Smile but they all had royal blood in them Wink Wink for what I was told. One would have to say now down here that they are all yesterday's pigeons sadly & most lofts are filled up now with all the fancy new imports & in my view many of them have had their fingers burnt etc in the money they have paid for them type of thing.
Enough said !!! & I will just hope somehow ??? this lot finds it's way onto the site & the rest Smile Smile ??? Killer can fill in here etc. cheers
Back to top Go down
killer
Hatchling
Hatchling
killer

PostSubject: Re: what strain of pigeons do you have for long distance racing 600 to 730 miles   what strain of pigeons do you have for long distance racing 600 to 730 miles - Page 4 EmptySun Mar 16, 2014 4:59 am

A mr Jones was the Loft man way back then for the King & suggested to Mr Max Foy the Harrison were the best there at that time so he Imported the lot of them 1911 for memory ?; in 1900 Edward the V11 came out Watched my Grandfather & his 3 Brothers at wood Chopping on the Domain in Hobart ;he later sent out birds to South Australia being Delmott & Jurion {Known has the Royals};A Mr Sam Hordern in 1885 imported birds Direct for N Barker a Pom living & Racing in Belgum He also imported birds from J W Logan the JP & Founding father of the English pigeon has we know them; plenty of good birds that came out ;Importations stopped between around 1948 & 1989 ;you name it & its Here ;alot of rich people has spent Fortunes on importing birds ;but if it gets tough the Older Blood shines through;The newer Blood is Faster for sure & has won at the distance has well . cheers
Back to top Go down
edgie
Youngbird
Youngbird
edgie

PostSubject: Re: what strain of pigeons do you have for long distance racing 600 to 730 miles   what strain of pigeons do you have for long distance racing 600 to 730 miles - Page 4 EmptySun Mar 16, 2014 11:43 am

thanks for that lads, in short the old blood is still coming through, both in oz and uk and i have no dought all over the world, as for buying birds from belgium and holland, they are in my view decendents of what the british sent over after the war, as the germans and others had eaten them all ?
Back to top Go down
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

PostSubject: Re: what strain of pigeons do you have for long distance racing 600 to 730 miles   what strain of pigeons do you have for long distance racing 600 to 730 miles - Page 4 EmptySun Mar 16, 2014 4:48 pm

Not sure if there are many of the older strains left in Canada. Always seems to be some 'flavour' of the month. Most of mine are Jansen from a friend out west. Reds and mealy's. Oude Vos from Jules Gallez originally. Have checks and blues from Van loons plus other oddballs. I have no complaints. Birds are better than the management!!!!
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

PostSubject: Re: what strain of pigeons do you have for long distance racing 600 to 730 miles   what strain of pigeons do you have for long distance racing 600 to 730 miles - Page 4 EmptySun Mar 16, 2014 11:01 pm

halcanada wrote:
Not sure if there are many of the older strains left in Canada. Always seems to be some 'flavour' of the month. Most of mine are Jansen from a friend out west. Reds and mealy's. Oude Vos from Jules Gallez originally. Have checks and blues from Van loons plus other oddballs. I have no complaints. Birds are better than the management!!!!

Not that young bloke  Smile Smile Halcanada  Wink Wink is it. That has his picture's in the Jules Gallez books etc.  cheers
Back to top Go down
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

PostSubject: Re: what strain of pigeons do you have for long distance racing 600 to 730 miles   what strain of pigeons do you have for long distance racing 600 to 730 miles - Page 4 EmptyMon Mar 17, 2014 7:47 pm

No not me!!! The birds came from Tom Makowaki in Alberta when I restarted.
He and Karl Franks host the Alberta Classic discussion site.
I sent 5 yearlings to a 750 miler few years back. They had flown east before. This was from the N west. Hit bad weather. Got 4 home but not in race time.
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

PostSubject: Re: what strain of pigeons do you have for long distance racing 600 to 730 miles   what strain of pigeons do you have for long distance racing 600 to 730 miles - Page 4 EmptyMon Mar 17, 2014 9:47 pm

halcanada wrote:
No not me!!! The birds came from Tom Makowaki in Alberta when I restarted.
He and Karl Franks host the Alberta Classic discussion site.
I sent 5 yearlings to a 750 miler few years back. They had flown east before. This was from the N west. Hit bad weather. Got 4 home but not in race time.

I know it wasn't you Hal  Smile Smile Wink  Wink  For what I remember  Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes  it was your mate Tom's photo etc in the Jules Gallez books, that I read. Along with the original/early photo's of his imports that he received from him back then. He was  lol!  lol!  lol! one of those hippy types  bounce   bounce one would have to say, for what I remember  Wink  Wink in those days.  cheers
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

PostSubject: Re: what strain of pigeons do you have for long distance racing 600 to 730 miles   what strain of pigeons do you have for long distance racing 600 to 730 miles - Page 4 EmptyMon Mar 17, 2014 10:44 pm

tom makowski had the red fox janssens ....yeah oz seemed a bit of a hippy type fella  Laughing decent enough guy though and very knowledgeable
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

PostSubject: Re: what strain of pigeons do you have for long distance racing 600 to 730 miles   what strain of pigeons do you have for long distance racing 600 to 730 miles - Page 4 EmptyTue Mar 18, 2014 4:03 am

oldstrain wrote:
tom makowski had the red fox janssens ....yeah oz seemed a bit of a hippy type fella  Laughing decent enough guy though and very knowledgeable

Very true O/S  Smile  Smile (very knowledgable etc our Tom) & he his a man after my own heart  Rolling Eyes  Rolling Eyes he likes his salt  Wink  Wink.  cheers
Back to top Go down
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

PostSubject: Re: what strain of pigeons do you have for long distance racing 600 to 730 miles   what strain of pigeons do you have for long distance racing 600 to 730 miles - Page 4 EmptyWed Mar 19, 2014 8:30 pm

Hippy type? Had a hip replacement year ago. Not sure about that, hippy, but was not in Canada back then. Think I was back in west Hartlepool between ships. He retired year or two ago. Was a sheep farmer. What can I say? He never treated me wrong. Bought birds off him he would always put in extras. Very generous person. Belgian banded bird UK banded bird etc,.
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

PostSubject: Re: what strain of pigeons do you have for long distance racing 600 to 730 miles   what strain of pigeons do you have for long distance racing 600 to 730 miles - Page 4 EmptyWed Mar 19, 2014 11:14 pm

halcanada wrote:
Hippy type? Had a hip replacement year ago. Not sure about that, hippy, but was not in Canada back then. Think I was back in west Hartlepool between ships. He retired year or two ago. Was a sheep farmer. What can I say? He never treated me wrong. Bought birds off him he would always put in extras. Very generous person. Belgian banded bird UK banded bird etc,.

I knew that Halcananda  Smile Smile We would call Tom's little flock  Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes "Sheep etc" a pet farm down here  Wink Wink compared to what we have, type of thing.  cheers
Back to top Go down
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

PostSubject: Re: what strain of pigeons do you have for long distance racing 600 to 730 miles   what strain of pigeons do you have for long distance racing 600 to 730 miles - Page 4 EmptyWed Mar 19, 2014 11:22 pm

Yes! Understand now, Aussie. Hey how did those rabbits we sent you years back for meat work out? everybody eating them? Or did myxamotisis knock them all of? never heard.
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

PostSubject: Re: what strain of pigeons do you have for long distance racing 600 to 730 miles   what strain of pigeons do you have for long distance racing 600 to 730 miles - Page 4 EmptyThu Mar 20, 2014 4:09 am

halcanada wrote:
Yes! Understand now, Aussie. Hey how did those rabbits we sent you years back for meat work out? everybody eating them? Or did myxamotisis knock them all of? never heard.

The best way to answer your query  Wink Wink is to say, they are on the decline bounce bounce. Once we had 170 million odd sheep here & now they are down to 70 million etc & I suspect lol! lol! lol! that's about as many rabbit's also as we have here Smile Smile . cheers
Back to top Go down
killer
Hatchling
Hatchling
killer

PostSubject: Re: what strain of pigeons do you have for long distance racing 600 to 730 miles   what strain of pigeons do you have for long distance racing 600 to 730 miles - Page 4 EmptyThu Mar 20, 2014 8:34 am

You can Have Those Foxes Back Has well ?lol
Back to top Go down
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

PostSubject: Re: what strain of pigeons do you have for long distance racing 600 to 730 miles   what strain of pigeons do you have for long distance racing 600 to 730 miles - Page 4 EmptyTue Jul 01, 2014 11:38 pm

Old strains. Tom's Oude red Jansen family (crossed of course) is doing well. Last week 170 lofts, 1191 mpm, 161 km. won it and seven in first ten. Week before, 166 lofts, 865 mpm 579 km. 1st and 2nd.
Back to top Go down
amberleaf
Chipping
Chipping

PostSubject: long distance   what strain of pigeons do you have for long distance racing 600 to 730 miles - Page 4 EmptySun Mar 15, 2015 1:32 am

I use to race jim biss birds over long distance 500 to 600 miles they were very reliable birds but could never beat jim himself with them he would get maybe 5 birds home on the day from 600 miles I had to wait till the next morning to get mine but I was happy with that.my sprint birds originated from wild town pigeons with no rings I bread from them and the performed very well winning quite a few firsts as young birds I was only 12 then so did not have money to buy birds.
Back to top Go down
amberleaf
Chipping
Chipping

PostSubject: my theory on birds homing    what strain of pigeons do you have for long distance racing 600 to 730 miles - Page 4 EmptySun Mar 15, 2015 2:20 am

I think a bird navigates its way on with a natural built in compass but when it gets within 150 miles of its loft it uses landmarks to navigate so the birds I raced across the channel I used to train to dover one way and penzance the other way.because depending on the wind direction and strength on the day of the the race you did not no where they were going to hit the English coast.my theory for what its worth training my way wherever they hit the coast they would no where they were and get home faster.
Back to top Go down
devo56
Youngbird
Youngbird

PostSubject: good point   what strain of pigeons do you have for long distance racing 600 to 730 miles - Page 4 EmptySun Mar 15, 2015 8:34 am

Good point Aberleaf, i think racing pigeons should be trained, to a breakaway point.
Again i feel this is another form of Motivation, what can only help the pigeon on its return.
The lines i would look at for the distance are, Jellema and Wijnands.
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: what strain of pigeons do you have for long distance racing 600 to 730 miles   what strain of pigeons do you have for long distance racing 600 to 730 miles - Page 4 EmptySun Mar 15, 2015 1:16 pm

amberleaf wrote:
I use to race jim biss birds over long distance 500 to 600 miles they were very reliable birds but could never beat jim himself with them he would get maybe 5 birds home on the day from 600 miles I had to wait till the next morning to get mine but I was happy with that.my sprint birds originated from wild town pigeons with no rings I bread from them and the performed very well winning quite a few firsts as young birds I was only 12 then so did not have money to buy birds.

very interesting amberleaf..............
Back to top Go down
markevans
Youngbird
Youngbird
markevans

PostSubject: Re: what strain of pigeons do you have for long distance racing 600 to 730 miles   what strain of pigeons do you have for long distance racing 600 to 730 miles - Page 4 EmptySun Mar 15, 2015 8:52 pm

ive had the dale newcombe birds out to tarbes 649mis on the winning day but they are abit slow trying some brokhamp birds this year fingers crost
Back to top Go down
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

PostSubject: Re: what strain of pigeons do you have for long distance racing 600 to 730 miles   what strain of pigeons do you have for long distance racing 600 to 730 miles - Page 4 EmptySun Mar 15, 2015 11:17 pm

amberleaf wrote:
I think a bird navigates its way on with a natural built in compass  but when it gets within 150 miles of its loft it uses landmarks to navigate so the birds I raced across the channel I used to train to dover one way and penzance the other way.because depending on the wind direction and strength on the day of the the race you did not no where they were going to hit the English coast.my theory for what its worth training my way wherever they hit the coast they would no where they were and get home faster.

That's interesting but for me I would have to say you need to train your birds 360* of the compass plus not in all sunny days on hard testing days which get the best out of your pigeons and show there true characteristics

It's a lonely life for a long distance pigeon and if you want to win they have to be able to race on there own and not follow the leader JMO
Back to top Go down
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

PostSubject: Re: what strain of pigeons do you have for long distance racing 600 to 730 miles   what strain of pigeons do you have for long distance racing 600 to 730 miles - Page 4 EmptySun Mar 15, 2015 11:24 pm

amberleaf wrote:
I think a bird navigates its way on with a natural built in compass  but when it gets within 150 miles of its loft it uses landmarks to navigate so the birds I raced across the channel I used to train to dover one way and penzance the other way.because depending on the wind direction and strength on the day of the the race you did not no where they were going to hit the English coast.my theory for what its worth training my way wherever they hit the coast they would no where they were and get home faster.

Amberleaf here one for you Bobby Walton of Oldbury top fancier alway been a top national fancier when he was training his national candidates the word was he would take his pigeons to the coast (Southampton) give a fishing trawler his birds to take out to the centre of the channel and liberate each pigeon on there own 30 mins intervals and Bob had some fantastic results national racing with only a few pigeons
Back to top Go down
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

PostSubject: Re: what strain of pigeons do you have for long distance racing 600 to 730 miles   what strain of pigeons do you have for long distance racing 600 to 730 miles - Page 4 EmptySun Mar 15, 2015 11:34 pm

Amberleaf how about getting a good team of hens which have proved themselfs at the distance but you have never breed from them wait till they are 3 years old with there first ever youngster remove the cock for a week so when the hens are shipped to the required race they have been doing all the work with the youngsters and it's up to them to get back to the youngster to feed them
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: what strain of pigeons do you have for long distance racing 600 to 730 miles   what strain of pigeons do you have for long distance racing 600 to 730 miles - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

what strain of pigeons do you have for long distance racing 600 to 730 miles
Page 4 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next