Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» escaped birds return
class german act   Emptyby George & Morgan Yesterday at 7:59 pm

» Weather today
class german act   Emptyby George & Morgan Yesterday at 11:44 am

» Good Morning
class german act   Emptyby George & Morgan Yesterday at 11:42 am

» King removes Patronage
class german act   Emptyby George & Morgan Tue May 07, 2024 7:21 pm

» Leeds & District Amalgamation
class german act   Emptyby George & Morgan Mon May 06, 2024 4:58 pm

» York Road & District Results 2024
class german act   Emptyby David Mon May 06, 2024 4:53 pm

» Scandalous .......
class german act   Emptyby Knackered Sun May 05, 2024 7:31 am

» yb national winner
class german act   Emptyby George & Morgan Sat May 04, 2024 9:30 am

» good luck weekend
class german act   Emptyby Knackered Thu May 02, 2024 9:16 am

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) class german act   20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 55 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 55 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.class german act   Resise10
Top posting users this week
George & Morgan
class german act   Vote_lcapclass german act   Voting_barclass german act   Vote_rcap 
David
class german act   Vote_lcapclass german act   Voting_barclass german act   Vote_rcap 
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1297 registered users
The newest registered user is tharunjohar50

Our users have posted a total of 222742 messages in 14003 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
class german act   Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
class german act   Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

class german act

Go down 
AuthorMessage
seanl
Youngbird
Youngbird

class german act   Empty
PostSubject: class german act    class german act   EmptyFri Dec 16, 2011 8:18 pm

GERHARD SCHLEPPHORST

When we were at the Blackpool Show a couple of years ago I saw Gerhard for the first time in many years and he still looked well. I had intended to look at his article again but until now it never happened and that is only because I had a call from a friend of Gerhard on another matter but we did get to talking about a fancier who I believe is what the sport needs. This was the article that I wrote many years ago with a few up to date photos making it a lot of the past and a bit of the new.

There was a great deal of consideration taken into account when we embarked on our latest trip to the continent. The main aim was to take a batch of youngsters to the German International Classic but also our intentions were to call in on Gerhard Schlepphorst. This will only be a brief article into the life and birds of Gerhard in comparison to the amount of information that is available on him, there is so much information available we could write a book about him and his methods.

Geoff Clare and Gerhard Schlepphorst

Gerhard does not like to forget anything so he take notes just in case his memory lets him down and that is why he is so knowledgeable, doing is one thing remembering months later is another. If my memory serves me right Gerhard first came on the UK scene in the early 80's and then disappeared again but his pigeons left a legacy of winners. It was whilst on this trip that the reason for that quiet spell came to light, illness had kept Gerhard off the public platform. My first recollections were via the sales of John David in South Wales which is where the winners started to make their presence felt in the UK. The next time that his name came to the forefront of pigeon racing matters was when he wrote some interesting articles in the International Pigeon World of John & Gary Squibb.

This trip has brought to light quite a few points and I am amazed at the amount of information that he has stored up top, let alone all the notes that he has made. Strains and how they came about are one of his specialities, I have not come across anyone who has told me so much off the top of their head about racing pigeons and the strains that made them. There was no checking up where it came from, the information flowed via his interpreter Dagmar Mair who had a tough job keeping up. Gerhard does have a touch of English and could probably get by but prefers to leave the translations to Dagmar. Going back to his knowledge I have asked him if he will put pen to paper for the BHW for what I believe would be interesting articles but at the moment he has a major project but is considering a few for the future. As I have mentioned strains would be good interesting articles because there is always a lot of discussion around this area of the sport and I doubt if many fanciers could come up with a true picture of some of the top names in the business. I hope that this can happen and during this article I shall raise a few points in a small way that he could no doubt build on. I have heard about many strains and how they came about, in fact was surprised to hear about a pigeon that I had taken a shine to when I handled it for the first time. That pigeon is "James Bond" and although this is a Camphius pigeon that later went to the Ponderosa, Gerhard had in his loft full brother and sisters to the sire and g.g.sire via Schmoulders. That is also the same with a few other pigeons that fanciers build their names on and going back to "James Bond" I wonder how many fanciers class this pigeon with the Schmoulders pigeons. Gerhard has the best of them and when you see and handle them you begin to realise what quality pigeons are going through your hands. Yes these are the pigeons that we saw and handled pigeons that have made many of today's top winning lofts. Gerhard referred to many of the lofts that owe their success to the pigeons that adorn the stock lofts that have been built up by this fancier. Not only have many fanciers benefited from these pigeons, more importantly at home so has their owner who has gained many top results.

You only have to look through the stock lofts where you can see and handle the pigeons whose age is in excess of 10yrs. There are quite a few in this category and these old birds have maintained an excellent body when you would expect them to be deteriorating. Amongst these pigeons are many children and g.children of top named pigeons around Europe. I wonder how know that shortly before Van Geel passed away many good pigeons went to Gerhards loft from this excellent team of pigeons. These included 9 direct children from "The Dolla". Also the best of the Schmoulders stock went to Gerhard who has the very best from this family on the Continent, more on the strains and origins later.

The question that was on my mind for most of the day was "How do you know so much about strains". The answer was quick via Dagmar, "I have taken photos for many top lofts and we always discussed the family that they had. So I followed with, "Yes but how do you remember". "I make notes after each visit and I have a very good memory". That memory has helped Gerhard put together a great deal of information on many strains including the Janssen Bros and the odd crosses that they have used in the past. How the V.De.Flaes played such an important part in many winning lines and how the Delbars lines have played a part in the modern day pure? Strains.

By the end of the first day we had seen and heard so much that we started to ask questions that had been asked earlier in the day, unintentionally but Gerhard did not forget and answered again so that it was planted firmly upstairs. The trip to the stock lofts was very interesting mainly because of the stock housed but the lofts are a class set up and worth a look for any fancier. Just before going onto those other areas I must mention the Van Riel family housed. Many years ago the late Bob Meachin had a good team of these via Geoff Kirkland and these were the same pigeons. It was like going back in time and this alone highlights the fact that the Schlepphorst pigeons are more or less as near to the originals as you can get. The stock lofts were originally at Gerhards home but due to neighbour problems some had to be moved including the race team. There are still many of the top pigeons at home and the idea with these is to protect the older pigeons so that he can keep them in the breeding lofts for the future. the older birds are housed in separate to the younger more stronger stock cocks, this helps to as top the younger more amorous cocks taking advantage. However at the present moment Gerhard and his Son are in the process of establishing a stock loft that will be of the highest quality. These stock lofts are being built in renovated farm buildings and will have a reception centre with all the facilities for a party of visitors at any given time. This will be a self contained pigeon mans dream home when it is finished with two flats also built into the complex that will also have several of the old strains on show. Then to back up the pigeons and their quality there are racing lofts built into the roof of these lofts for their own racing team. Normally when fanciers go into a breeding venture for racing pigeons such as this they more often than not lose sight of the racing side but in this case Gerhard wants to maintain the high standard that these pigeons have risen to. I hope that does not change because the standard of pigeon on sale needs to be raised and their selection must also be improved if we are to take the sport forward. This type of set up is being more common based on the fact that there are more fanciers looking to the future of National type competition. Pigeons are being tested more than ever in that area with the advent of multi purpose lofts but we still need to improve on that.

To highlight the last paragraph here is a bit of info into the arcing position that Gerhard has been in for the last few years, you can judge for yourself just how good the racing and breeding pigeons are. In 1990 the partnership of Esser/Schlepphorst was formed in Hürth near Cologne which is some 1119lm to Barcelona 1119 km the prime aim of racing for these lofts, in that same year Gerhard Schlepphorst provided 43 youngsters as the base of a team of long distance pigeons. With the emphasis being on the distance these were not raced until 1992 where they were sent to 5 races from 850 to 1120 km. In the Barcelona race there were 38 entered and 29 won prizes, which brought 11th rank in the Europe Marathon. Then in 1994 they won 4th Nat. Marathon and 5th Nat Mediterranean-Cup. Unfortunately this partnership did not last and in 1994 all the pigeons were brought back to the Schlepphorst loft because the property was sold. In 1996 Willi Esser received approx. 70 youngsters at his new residence and again the distance from Barcelona 1060 km, was considered. In 1997 they only raced with the yearlings to Bergerac 838 km, Bordeaux 837 km, Marseille 817 km and Dax 962 km. The results were sensational to say the least. From all the races they started in they were 1st, 22nd, 17th & 2nd Prov. Nat. in Zone 2. In the worst race that they experienced they still won 10 Prizes to 104th Nat! In 1998 with these pigeons they won: 7th Europe-Marathon. 3rd Europe-Marathon of Germany. 4th Nat. Champion Atlantic-Cup, Pau-Dax. 5th Nat. Long Distance Champion at International races. 4th, 16th, 27th and 29th Nat. Ace-Hen in International races. 18th, 25th and 46th Nat. Ace-Cock in International races. 7th World-Ace-Hen - Long Distance - Versele Laga. Unfortunately due to Willi Essers state of health he had to finish with the sport by the end of 1998. So once again all pigeons were moved back to the stock lofts of Gerhard Schlepphorst.

The present partnership of Missy-Gessner-Schlepphorst was founded at the same time in 1998 but the distance from Barcelona was down to 956 km. Gerhard Schlepphorst once again provided 30 youngsters into the new lofts and these were responsible for the 3rd time as beginner record in Germany. In 1999 they only raced Marseille and likewise set the 1st Nat & International yearling-hen!

2000 was yet another sensational year with the same team as 2yr olds. Again a prize in the first 10 at the Europe Marathon! 1st Long distance Champion at the long distance club South-Palatinate. 1st Trophy for the highest Ace-Points. 1st Trophy for the first 3 nominated pigeons from Perpignan. 4th Long distance Champion "Rauschende Schwingen" and many more trophys for the fastest double and triple series at Nat. level. Gerhard Schlepphorst is probably the only breeder of Europe who succeeded within 8 years to re-establish 3 times - in 1992, 1997 and 1999 - at three different locations a winning long distance race team, which was placed on each occasion in the first year under the 10 most successful lofts of Europe. I must admit that when you see these pigeons you can well understand why they do it with ease.

In last months issue we talked about the trip to Gerhard's racing and stock lofts where the pigeons are of the highest quality. I know that is something that you can say about many lofts but in this case it is a fact that Gerhard has bred the pigeons purposely to maintain the strain and not lose it through cross breeding which is more often than not the case on the continent. The Janssen strain were high on the agenda because this is a family of pigeons that Gerhard has admired for many years. Everything was fine until I said that they were reported to be a pure strain. A sharp reply was that is not the case because even the Janssen Brothers have brought other pigeons in at some time or another. Anyway that is another issue and will be looked at in a separate article about strains in the future, lets get back to the stock at Gerhards. I looked at the stock and can well understand why these lofts are fast gaining a reputation as breeders of high quality pigeons. I was impressed with the various strains and how they had been kept together in separate lofts, however Gerhard did make the point that you should cross to keep vitality and the line stronger. Gerhard has found out over the years that through too much inbreeding the pigeons do not last as last as long in the stock loft, they generally lose their ability to stay fertile. When we talk about a cross, this reference in Gerhards case is to a cross with the same family from another loft. This could not be more apparent than in the legendary lines of the "531" that in turn produced the "James Bond" line and we all know how successful they have been. The "531" is the g.g.father of "James Bond" and Gerhards still has sons and daughters of the "531"who is a 74 bred pigeon and went on filling his eggs much longer than we normally expect from our pigeons. the "531" won 102 prizes including 15 x 1sts and is from the "Olympiad 08" and the "De Klak" lines. these lofts have a good line of the Janssen family that has been maintained in the old tradition of the Janssen Bros themselves. Gerhard actually spent a full week with them and came away with a half sister to "Jonge Merckz", that is how far back his connections with the Janssen pigeons go.

The Meulemans are another line that are housed at these lofts and one that is becoming lesser known around the world because of the trends that fanciers follow. But Gerhard has like the Janssens maintained the original lines and they are just like the old photos of the Meulemans of years ago. It is the change from one strain to another that has brought about a different type of pigeon than the originals because fanciers have seen a new family come on the scene and brought them into their lofts. Fair enough Gerhard has brought in new pigeons but his breeding has been very selective. But in the case of most fanciers they have crossed the new with the old and gone onto the new line name for commercial reasons. Sales are more important than racing to some fanciers who lose their way in the breeding loft and end up with a completely different type of pigeon which is not the case at these lofts. The pigeons are kept separately and not changed because they are not the flavour of the day; if they were brought in as a genuine family and have produced the goods then they stay. This is a case of looking after the strain and not the commercial enterprise of a new family. Having said that Gerhard does have several families and all around the world there are fanciers who successfully race and maintain a high standard with the older strains. Is there any real need for change? I don't think so if you are prepared to perceiver and select the odd pigeons from the existing pigeons to maintain the stock loft. When you consider the ages of some of these pigeons and the fact that they are still filling their eggs, breeding becomes easy. The Jan Aardens of Van Geel and the Stichelbauts of Descamps van Hasten are two more strains that exist and there are also the Jan Grondelaers and the odd Dordin that are to be seen but the later is only the odd one. We must also not forget the Husken Van Riels and I remember many years ago the type of pigeon that was raced in the UK from this family. To look at these pigeons was like going back in time, in fact over 25yrs ago when they were winning well to the Mid Cheshire area. One thing that stood out and I don't know if many fanciers have noticed but the eyes have changed considerably on some of these families. I say changed that is to what they used to be when the families were all the rage. Again this is not the case at these lofts because they are still the old dominant eye that has bred generations of winners. For the genuine pigeon fanciers who want's to see the pigeons of days gone by these are the ones and I think that it is a shame that the standards have changed. The emphasis on racing is now as high as it is for selling and the changes from racing to win as a hobby to the business that it is now is something that we are all to blame for in one way or another.

Lets get back to the lofts and the racing lofts that are built into the roof of the new breeding centre where if you recall there will be living accommodation therefore the race team will have the proper attention required. The lofts are not a big affair and with them being in the top of the centre will more kept at an even temperature by the lofts of pigeons below, an even temperature does make all the difference to a race team. The boxes in these sections (see photo) are the traditional widowhood boxes and are all fitted with grills as if the floor. One half of the box is blocked off with only small holes in to allow an even flow of air, also this type of box gives the pigeons privacy and no matter what your views on this are pigeons do like a quiet corner for themselves. There are heaters fitted but Gerhard said that these will be removed as they are not required. It will be interesting to sees the kind of results that are gained at these lofts and if Gerhard starts as he means to go on with a race team that he can use to make sure that his breeding techniques remain at the highest level. If you recall whoever Gerhard has had a partnership it has been based on distance races and that is generally the aim.

Here are a few thoughts from Gerhards son on his father and his pigeons. "Gerhard was undoubtedly the first breeder who was allowed to film and to take photos at the Janssen’s. In 1974 he made a film of 30 minutes about the Janssen-brothers per order of a importer of Japan. In 1976 the film shots for Taiwan lasted a whole week. It was a documentation about the live of the three legends Adrian, Louis, Charel and their sister Irma. He even was allowed to film the 3 brothers in their beds. He escorted each of them by their daily routine till they went to bed. Adrian was the man, who was responsible for the breeding. He gave the orders how to breed and he told Gerhard at the time, by breeding with orig. Janssen’s, never to copulate to a son of the "Merckx”, for example, a hen out of the same line (Merckx). You have to look at the same with the other pigeons, like the "Scherpen" etc. (After the death of Adrian this rule didn't longer exist at the Janssen’s loft!) Charels responsibility was to look after the racing-pigeons and the breeding lofts. Louis, the last who is still alive, was responsible for the treatment and the financials. In Arendonk, you have been told, that Louis (after the death of Charel) had to ask a friend, to put the rings on the youngsters, because in over 80 years he never did it before.

Gerhard told me that he was not allowed to film the other two brothers Victor and Jef, who lived in the same house too, at the time. They have been responsible for messenger services and to escort Jos Bertels or another friend when they had to trainee the pigeons for the Janssen’s. But Gerhard got it nevertheless to take almost one picture of all the 5 brothers and her sister. He gave this to the brothers at the burial of Victor and they have been very glad at the time, that there exists a photo of them all.

In the time of the film shots 1976 Gerhard made the only group picture that exists with the portraits of the three breeders with their sister and the most important breeding pigeons like the "Oude Merckx", "Jonge Merckx", "Scherpen" etc., which is well known in the whole world in the meantime. To thank him for this picture, they gave him the half sister of the "Jonge Merckx" as a gift. In the following 15 years, Gerhard bought more than 80 youngsters per order of famous Belgian, Dutch and German breeders, because if he came there, he always got what he wanted to get. But for his own lofts, he had a own concept at the time already. By his word as a photographer for famous breeders, who was advised by Piet de Weerd, Gerhard made the experience that Piet only bought exceptional breeding pigeons for his employers in the first years. So Piet bought the "Bijter" and the "Angouleme" of Descamps van Hasten for Vanderbrouke. These are the parents of the "Ware Yzeren", which is the pigeon the whole belgian élite of long distance, like Van Hee, Bostijn, Vereeke, De Koning, Devos and many others is based on. For H. P. Kluth, one of the most successful lofts of the last 30 years in Germany he bought the "41" and "88" of Th. Hartogs with their hens. They belonged to the most successful Dutch breeding pigeons that existed at the time. Gerhard used this experience immediately for his own acquisitions.

His work as a photographer for the most famous breeders in Europe did so a good turn to him. So once he took photos for a breeder in Hamburg of four 1 year old brothers who had 7 x 1ts prize’s together on 12 flights. They have been breed from a daughter of the original Janssen "Donkere Raketman 76" which this man bought from the loft of Baum/Teigeler. Three weeks later another Top-breeder from the stronghold of German pigeon sports, the Ruhr area, who has won all the championships in this heavy competition, came to take photos of his pigeons too. In case of that Gerhard is always interested in how and from what lines such aces are breed, he made the interesting realisation, that all championship pigeons and 1. Prize winners were breed from a son and a daughter of the "Donkere Raketman 76" of Baum/Teigeler too! So the same base like the breeder in Hamburg, but with other partners. Only three days later, this exceptional Top-breeder had a new home at Gerhards lofts. The same experiences are the reason for the acquisition from Wout Smeulders pigeons and a special friendship with this breeder. Gerhard took photos for more than 30 Dutch lofts who had a fantastic success with this pigeons. Also Berti Camphuis and Suijkerbuik have breed their famous "Famose 05" from "Oude Schalie" out of orig. Smeulders pigeons and the "James Bond 007", which have been bought by Hans Eijerkamp & Sons later. As a result of this in the 80's Gerhard bought nearly all the important breeding pigeons from Smeulders, like the "Oude Schalie", the grandparents of the "James Bond" and with the legendary "531" the g.g. grand father of the "James Bond" and grandfather of "Wonderboy 05 & 06". With this he got the complete base of many of the most famous Dutch lofts! With more than 70 originals of the world famous base since 1974 till end of 1980, which have exclusive at the Smeulders lofts successfully brought youngsters and all the directly youngsters, that have been bred by Gerhard, he's world wide the undisputed No. 1 and the unique archive for this old successful Smeulders base, that brings big success to many international lofts today!"

Thanks to Gerhard and his son for their time and the information supplied.

Back to top Go down

class german act
Page 1 of 1