Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» Weather today
strange if you ask me  - Page 2 Emptyby barnie Today at 7:58 pm

» new hen for speed
strange if you ask me  - Page 2 Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 6:51 pm

» Good Morning
strange if you ask me  - Page 2 Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 10:21 am

» sorting birds out
strange if you ask me  - Page 2 Emptyby David Yesterday at 11:33 am

» new rules from Defra
strange if you ask me  - Page 2 Emptyby David Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:30 pm

» RPRA Auction ........
strange if you ask me  - Page 2 Emptyby David Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:40 pm

» overnight and multiple nights basket
strange if you ask me  - Page 2 Emptyby Knackered Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:21 pm

» Loft Location
strange if you ask me  - Page 2 Emptyby David Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:43 pm

» RPRA , WHAT DO THEY DO ?
strange if you ask me  - Page 2 Emptyby David Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:43 am

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) strange if you ask me  - Page 2 20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 63 users online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 62 Guests :: 1 Bot

George & Morgan

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.strange if you ask me  - Page 2 Resise10
Top posting users this week
George & Morgan
strange if you ask me  - Page 2 Vote_lcapstrange if you ask me  - Page 2 Voting_barstrange if you ask me  - Page 2 Vote_rcap 
David
strange if you ask me  - Page 2 Vote_lcapstrange if you ask me  - Page 2 Voting_barstrange if you ask me  - Page 2 Vote_rcap 
oldstrain
barnie
Knackered
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1293 registered users
The newest registered user is Meddy78

Our users have posted a total of 221961 messages in 13973 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
strange if you ask me  - Page 2 Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
strange if you ask me  - Page 2 Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

strange if you ask me

Go down 
+12
KOTS
molloys
Don Webb
fletch
Gaz b
cawdy
IANYOUNG
seanl
Rudderfett
David
George & Morgan
peel bros
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

strange if you ask me  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: strange if you ask me    strange if you ask me  - Page 2 EmptyTue May 01, 2012 10:50 pm

its not arguing martyn, its expressing an opinion......if you have done a perticular thing then youve every right to say so, if others have done things differently or bred certain colours then they too have a right to say......

each to their own, this is what a discussion forum is all about........ cheers
Back to top Go down
Rudderfett
Youngbird
Youngbird
Rudderfett

PostSubject: Re: strange if you ask me    strange if you ask me  - Page 2 EmptyTue May 01, 2012 10:52 pm

correct David, thats the good thing about this forum many views and interesting discussions. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Gaz b
Oldbird
Oldbird
Gaz b

PostSubject: Re: strange if you ask me    strange if you ask me  - Page 2 EmptyTue May 01, 2012 11:10 pm

strange if you ask me  - Page 2 Allotment2_1_by_gyto-d4thxsr

A Blue and a Ch Pied WF bred this.

strange if you ask me  - Page 2 Allotment2_3_by_gyto-d4ti0lr
A red and a blue bred this.

strange if you ask me  - Page 2 Allotment2_7_by_gyto-d4ti34z
See the two at back right, a blue and a cheq bred these two.

Back to top Go down
http://kjlofts.yolasite.com/about-our-birds.php
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: strange if you ask me    strange if you ask me  - Page 2 EmptyTue May 01, 2012 11:16 pm

are these the ybs at home, or at the allotement gary.....?
Back to top Go down
Gaz b
Oldbird
Oldbird
Gaz b

PostSubject: Re: strange if you ask me    strange if you ask me  - Page 2 EmptyTue May 01, 2012 11:17 pm

These are at the allotment David.
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: strange if you ask me    strange if you ask me  - Page 2 EmptyTue May 01, 2012 11:20 pm

all looking well gary, how many are there in the allotment team ?
Back to top Go down
Gaz b
Oldbird
Oldbird
Gaz b

PostSubject: Re: strange if you ask me    strange if you ask me  - Page 2 EmptyTue May 01, 2012 11:22 pm

I think around 80 mate. He has no old birds on, just a few late breds so he's hoping to get a good team of yearlings out of this lot.
Back to top Go down
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

PostSubject: Re: strange if you ask me    strange if you ask me  - Page 2 EmptyWed May 02, 2012 1:20 am

Hope you are able to keep a good team out of them,
they are looking well mate wish you all the best with them
Back to top Go down
George & Morgan
Oldbird
Oldbird
George & Morgan

PostSubject: strange if you ask me   strange if you ask me  - Page 2 EmptyWed May 02, 2012 3:20 am

I'm not saying your wrong Ruddertt i'm just saying what i think and that is hens with flecking on the tail it is red not black also Rays bird could moult out a smokey blue i found this on google
the ember gene eE which does explain some of it george
Back to top Go down
cawdy
Chipping
Chipping
cawdy

PostSubject: Re: strange if you ask me    strange if you ask me  - Page 2 EmptyWed May 02, 2012 6:48 am

Gaz b wrote:
strange if you ask me  - Page 2 Allotment2_1_by_gyto-d4thxsr

A Blue and a Ch Pied WF bred this.

strange if you ask me  - Page 2 Allotment2_3_by_gyto-d4ti0lr
A red and a blue bred this.

strange if you ask me  - Page 2 Allotment2_7_by_gyto-d4ti34z
See the two at back right, a blue and a cheq bred these two.

fook me gaz there a bit of variety there i like the [ied second in from the left in the last pic looks a smasher

the red in the last pic looks like what i would call a recessive red and the other one next to it as well but looks like it was another modifying gene there as well

i remember when i was about 10 i used to prey for mealies and grizzles off our old deans grizzle cock but they usually didn't last long Sad Sad
Back to top Go down
peel bros
Oldbird
Oldbird
peel bros

PostSubject: Re: strange if you ask me    strange if you ask me  - Page 2 EmptyWed May 02, 2012 7:39 am

i,ll get a photo of it lads
Back to top Go down
George & Morgan
Oldbird
Oldbird
George & Morgan

PostSubject: strange if you ask me   strange if you ask me  - Page 2 EmptyWed May 02, 2012 9:05 am

Ray do have a read at the ember gene eE it will also put to bed flecking marks on a red it says flecking on a hen will always be red NEVER black it can only be black on a cock bird george
Back to top Go down
Rudderfett
Youngbird
Youngbird
Rudderfett

PostSubject: Re: strange if you ask me    strange if you ask me  - Page 2 EmptyWed May 02, 2012 11:59 am

do you believe everything you read??? I have a news paper which says theres a double decker bus on the moon Wink
Back to top Go down
George & Morgan
Oldbird
Oldbird
George & Morgan

PostSubject: strange if you ask me   strange if you ask me  - Page 2 EmptyWed May 02, 2012 1:26 pm

please don't be a fool i have ask you what to read so for the last time a red bird with black splashes can only be a be a cock the splashes on a hen are red and NEVER black george
Back to top Go down
molloys
Chipping
Chipping

PostSubject: Re: strange if you ask me    strange if you ask me  - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 13, 2013 9:55 pm

Maybe the blue hen as been cross treded ive had this before with show pigeons I had 2 different breeds a hen laid and both young birds were cross bred but was paired pure when the cock mounts a hen other cocks knock him off and jump on
Back to top Go down
KOTS
In egg (newbie)
In egg (newbie)

PostSubject: Re: strange if you ask me    strange if you ask me  - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 14, 2013 12:15 am

David wrote:
just need to alter what i said ray, ive a pair of janssen blue bars whoalways seem to breed a slatey every season, the rest are blue bars......

slate is dilute of blue so no red in it .

my father in law had a good pair of blues both at racing and breeding

then one year he got 2 reds in the nest from his pair of blues , he had no reds or mealys in the loft , he said my blues are breeding reds , no way i said he said well i aint got a red in the shed , yesi said but remember that 5yr old red welsh cock stray that was on your loft for a week 4 weeks back , oh dear he said it must have nicked the hens . lol theres usually an exsplanation somewhere .lol
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

PostSubject: Re: strange if you ask me    strange if you ask me  - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 14, 2013 3:22 am

Rudderfett wrote:
do you believe everything you read??? I have a news paper which says theres a double decker bus on the moon Wink

Nooooooo !!!!!!!!!! Smile Smile to the first part. But I did see that bus Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes when I last visited auntie Genevieve on the moon. cheers 
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

PostSubject: Re: strange if you ask me    strange if you ask me  - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 14, 2013 4:02 am

Rudderfett wrote:
correct David, thats the good thing about this forum many views and interesting discussions. Very Happy

True what you say Rudderfett/David "Re this topic" In all the years I have been involved & all the theorys/topic's one studies etc. This one has caused me the most problems in relation to understanding it. Right or wrong I just accept what ever comes out of the egg so to speak, is what it is. Strange colours/patterns accur many times for what I have seen, but at the end of the day it's the first pair of legs through the trap that really matters & I will leave those that wish to study this subject, to do their own thing & wish them all well. cheers 
Back to top Go down
edgie
Youngbird
Youngbird
edgie

PostSubject: Re: strange if you ask me    strange if you ask me  - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 14, 2013 3:43 pm

well i have not read all of these posts on this subject, but if you look in my loft, it is like a multy coulourd swap shop, but wait a miniut dont all strains of pigeon come down from the rock dove, and are they not blue ?, and you can breed almost any colour from a blue ?, cant you.Basketball 
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: strange if you ask me    strange if you ask me  - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 14, 2013 4:33 pm

all ive ever bred from two blue bars paired togeather is blue bars, with the occasional slatey.......
Back to top Go down
spencerline
Hatchling
Hatchling
spencerline

PostSubject: Re: strange if you ask me    strange if you ask me  - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 14, 2013 8:27 pm

A blue barred pigeon can carry a recessive red gene so 2 blues bred together carrying this hidden  red gene can breed a red (a throwback) I have 2 birds that are predoninantly white one with a litle black (the hen) The cock carries the red gene I have bred from them Reds, Whites, white Griz, Blues and mealies.

So I believe you have a ressesive throwback and it will be interesting to see how the bird shapes up for you either good or Rubbish, lol.

here is a short viideo explaining Colour in Phenotype and Genotype genes  
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhXRa8IwLSM
Back to top Go down
http://www.algarvepigeonracing.webs.com
GRIZZLECOCK
Chipping
Chipping

PostSubject: Re: strange if you ask me    strange if you ask me  - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 14, 2013 9:13 pm

spencerline wrote:
A blue barred pigeon can carry a recessive red gene so 2 blues bred together carrying this hidden  red gene can breed a red (a throwback) I have 2 birds that are predoninantly white one with a litle black (the hen) The cock carries the red gene I have bred from them Reds, Whites, white Griz, Blues and mealies.

So I believe you have a ressesive throwback and it will be interesting to see how the bird shapes up for you either good or Rubbish, lol.

here is a short viideo explaining Colour in Phenotype and Genotype genes  
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhXRa8IwLSM

the video in question is far from correct
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: strange if you ask me    strange if you ask me  - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 14, 2013 9:28 pm

i have blue bars bred off red cheqs and mealies....and so far they have never bred a red, altho theres still time yet i suppose, never say never eh.......
Back to top Go down
spencerline
Hatchling
Hatchling
spencerline

PostSubject: Re: strange if you ask me    strange if you ask me  - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 14, 2013 9:32 pm

[/quote]

the video in question is far from correct[/quote]

That may be the case I am no expert but I have bred all the colours of the rainbow from 2 predominately white Roland Janssen pigeons but it is still possible even if unlikely that a red can be bred from 2 blue bars

The Red bird in question could be the result of some new mutation. The first possibility or adulterous chance mating is very common in open lofts while the odds for the second, a mutation, is more unlikely  but still Possible. Below is a passage from Elimar "Gordon Chalmers"

Pigeons that are recessive red, with the typical red bodies, flight and tail feathers can be bred off some blue bars and blue checkers - witness the typical recessive reds in the Janssen-van den Bosch pigeons. Remember that the dam of the Oude van den Bosch, the progenitor cock of the Meulemans family, was a recessive red hen. This gene for recessive red has since been passed along to many generations of pigeons in this splendid family.
Back to top Go down
http://www.algarvepigeonracing.webs.com
KOTS
In egg (newbie)
In egg (newbie)

PostSubject: Re: strange if you ask me    strange if you ask me  - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 14, 2013 11:23 pm

The colour of a pigeon and what can breed what is always a topic of conversation with the latest question being “Can two blue’s breed a chequer” From my experience no but as always with these questions I put it too our resident genetics enthusiast Chris who came back with the following. “Blue Bar x Blue Bar can only breed blue in terms of colour and bar in terms of pattern. They could if both carrying the "e" gene for recessive red breed a chocolate but this would be shown as a blue pigeon with the modifier giving the chocolate appearance. Blue is the colour and Chequer is the pattern. If the pigeon concerned is chequer in colour, then because chequer is dominant to bar, then one of its parents must be a chequer of some kind, either red chequer (carrying blue) blue chequer or silver chequer (recessive)” It is always nice to have someone handy who knows about and understands genetics much better than I do. This question came about because there was a blue chequer on our auction site and had the original pedigree attached so I suppose the question was always going to be asked. The fancier selling the pigeon was only doing so in good faith because he has the original pedigree. But and there is always a but when such things arise there could of course have been a wrong ring number put into the computer when the pedigree was first done and this not noticed, with using computers ever day I know that this is an easy mistake to make. What I did notice from looking at the pedigree was that three of the grandparents were blue chequers.

Mixed bag
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: strange if you ask me    strange if you ask me  - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

strange if you ask me
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next