Forum for Pigeon Fanciers
 
HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  UK Pigeon SalesUK Pigeon Sales  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» Final yb placing
by David Today at 11:07 pm

» Peel Brothers Race Results 2017.
by markevans Today at 9:23 pm

» Weather today
by David Today at 9:22 pm

» different strains of pigeons
by oldstrain Today at 7:40 pm

» Never know who is watching...
by halcanada Today at 6:24 pm

» Forum Syndicate 2018 ?
by David Today at 6:12 pm

» Garlic....
by oldstrain Today at 1:21 pm

» 5th & 6th Ripon.
by oldstrain Today at 1:18 pm

» Luck of the Irish.
by David Today at 10:46 am

Bucktons 2017 Calendar
Who is online?
In total there are 26 users online :: 2 Registered, 0 Hidden and 24 Guests :: 1 Bot

David, Lofty

Most users ever online was 144 on Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:37 am
Pigeon World Forum, Fancier of the Year Trophy.
Top posting users this week
David
 
oldstrain
 
Don Webb
 
halcanada
 
peel bros
 
markevans
 
Lofty
 
Knackered
 
blueskylofts
 
Tony scaife
 
Sir Rene Archer wins 1st & 2nd club.
Rene Archer wins 1st and 2nd from Messac 118 miles on the 02/06/12 with a 2year old Jan Aarden which was lightly raced as a yearling...... Rene also took 1st on the 19/05/12 from Carentan 62 miles with a Barker, his daughters were also 2nd in the same race where they were the only birds home on the day.....Well done to Rene and his daughters.
Similar topics
Links.
Statistics
We have 1097 registered users
The newest registered user is C simpkin

Our users have posted a total of 155017 messages in 10290 subjects
Log in
Username:
Password:
Log in automatically: 
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
John Gibbs young pied/grizzle winner.
Top posters
David
 
Don Webb
 
IANYOUNG
 
oldstrain
 
peel bros
 
Gaz b
 
Knackered
 
birdy2011
 
Rene A
 
Alex
 

Share | 
 

 TOTALLY STUMPED?????

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Rudderfett
Youngbird
Youngbird
avatar

Posts : 2152
Join date : 2009-09-27
Age : 49
Location : pembrokeshire

PostSubject: TOTALLY STUMPED?????   Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:13 am

I have to admit over the last few weeks I have been looking on various websites which have all looked great, experts in genetics who seem credible and I have been fascinated and enjoyed looking and learning.

The reason I have been doing this is because in a small section I have a slate hen and a dark chequer cock paired, and first nest 2 reds, then a mealy???
This threw me a bit as not being totally uneducated about genetics, thought this was IMPOSSIBLE, after looking on the sites and asking experts I am told it basically is impossible.

There are 2 red cocks in the section so the hen has obviously been going elsewhere to fill her eggs, why she would do this is also a mystery as she is settled with her cock and I have seen him tread her.

Today my faith in the experts has been truly SHATTERED, They say the reasons behind their opinions is simple, you cannot breed a dominant colour which is stronger than the parents. Dominant colours are red, and Grizzle.

So simply 2 chequers or 2 blues cannot breed a colour like red or grizzle as they are more dominant than they are, and every pedigree I have looked at confirms this.
Because there seems to be an unbroken line of red and grizzle in families I have which shows this to be true, so all my reds have at least 1 parent of red, and all my grizzles have at least 1 grizzle parent and so it continues.

However this all changed today, I have just bred a grizzle from a chequer and a blue and that is 100 % correct, the section has no colours in it other than blues, and chequers so it is impossible for another cock to be the father unless he is also a chequer or blue????
The section has no whites, reds, mealies, slates or any strange colour which could mask a grizzle mutation, just blues and chequers???

So what the hell has happened this year with my birds I have kept pigeons a long time and have never seen this, so maybe my reds are from the true parents in the other section and the experts are wrong??

Any thoughts..?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
barnie
Hatchling
Hatchling
avatar

Posts : 435
Join date : 2012-07-25

PostSubject: Re: TOTALLY STUMPED?????   Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:57 am

Are the young reds , mealy, true reds or schalie type red? I ask because I had a pencil cock and dark hen always bred blues or darks then one nest they bred pair of dirty red coloured ybs probably throw back to the meuleman in parents. As it happened they didnt get to first race, rubbish but although I didnt look at genetics in depth it was still a surprise when they chucked an unusual colour.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rudderfett
Youngbird
Youngbird
avatar

Posts : 2152
Join date : 2009-09-27
Age : 49
Location : pembrokeshire

PostSubject: Re: TOTALLY STUMPED?????   Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:21 am

Hi barney, thanks for that but the meulemans resessive reds are different any way to anty other reds as they are blue chequers really altered by mutation and it has to be on both sides to get it. These are the ash red dominant type not resessive type.
Thanks
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rudderfett
Youngbird
Youngbird
avatar

Posts : 2152
Join date : 2009-09-27
Age : 49
Location : pembrokeshire

PostSubject: Re: TOTALLY STUMPED?????   Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:23 am

I think the red puzzle has been solved, but what about a grizzle from blue and chequer?? Anyone seen this before? I suppose as all pigeons originate from the blue stock dove I suppose the grizzle had to come from somewhere in the beginning and from 2 blues?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GRIZZLECOCK
Chipping
Chipping


Posts : 160
Join date : 2011-08-28

PostSubject: Re: TOTALLY STUMPED?????   Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:39 am

Rudderfett wrote:
I have to admit over the last few weeks I have been looking on various websites which have all looked great, experts in genetics who seem credible and I have been fascinated and enjoyed looking and learning.

The reason I have been doing this is because in a small section I have a slate hen and a dark chequer cock paired, and first nest 2 reds, then a mealy???
This threw me a bit as not being totally uneducated about genetics, thought this was IMPOSSIBLE, after looking on the sites and asking experts I am told it basically is impossible.

There are 2 red cocks in the section so the hen has obviously been going elsewhere to fill her eggs, why she would do this is also a mystery as she is settled with her cock and I have seen him tread her.

Today my faith in the experts has been truly SHATTERED, They say the reasons behind their opinions is simple, you cannot breed a dominant colour which is stronger than the parents. Dominant colours are red, and  Grizzle.

So simply 2 chequers or 2 blues cannot breed a colour like red or grizzle as they are more dominant than they are, and every pedigree I have looked at confirms this.
Because there seems to be an unbroken line of red and grizzle in families I have which shows this to be true, so all my reds have at least 1 parent of red, and all my grizzles have at least 1 grizzle parent and so it continues.

However this all changed today, I have just bred a grizzle from a chequer and a blue and that is 100 % correct, the section has no colours in it other than blues, and chequers so it is impossible for another cock to be the father unless he is also a chequer or blue????
The section has no whites, reds, mealies, slates or any strange colour which could mask a grizzle mutation, just blues and chequers???

So what the hell has happened this year with my birds I have kept pigeons a long time and have never seen this, so maybe my reds are from the true parents in the other section and the experts are wrong??

Any thoughts..?
Most important mr Rudderfelt..."Experts" built the Titanic...its said they also sent man to the moon..lol
remember grizzle..tigergrizzel, undergrizzle,certainly are not a colour....and 2 blues can bred white grizzles although its better for strength of colour if they are impure ie..bred from ch themselves....as you all know i am never ever wrong Laughing  Laughing  Wink  Shocked so do you think its about time you all started to call me an expert.. with thanks




Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rudderfett
Youngbird
Youngbird
avatar

Posts : 2152
Join date : 2009-09-27
Age : 49
Location : pembrokeshire

PostSubject: Re: TOTALLY STUMPED?????   Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:31 pm

lol! lol! lol! lol! 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GRIZZLECOCK
Chipping
Chipping


Posts : 160
Join date : 2011-08-28

PostSubject: Re: TOTALLY STUMPED?????   Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:26 pm

Rudderfett wrote:
lol! lol! lol! lol! 

Correct lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fletch
Hatchling
Hatchling
avatar

Posts : 276
Join date : 2011-06-08
Age : 36
Location : tipton

PostSubject: Re: TOTALLY STUMPED?????   Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:21 pm

surely anything is possible with breeding colours we had a few years ago, two blues bred a opel chequer, nothing in this colour been in the loft for years, but checking the old books it came through the mothers side generations back, and i mean about 6 generations back,
so possibly it could be a throwback from generations down the line the answer to your question,
i know this and that should not happen but occasionally it does
Back to top Go down
View user profile
peel bros
Oldbird
Oldbird
avatar

Posts : 9371
Join date : 2009-03-27
Age : 52
Location : south shields

PostSubject: Re: TOTALLY STUMPED?????   Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:04 pm

i have 2 cw paired together and they have bred a grissel,can this be correct also as in all the years i,ve had pigeons this has never happened to me
Back to top Go down
View user profile
edgie
Youngbird
Youngbird
avatar

Posts : 2398
Join date : 2013-01-21

PostSubject: Re: TOTALLY STUMPED?????   Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:27 pm

peel bros wrote:
i have 2 cw paired together and they have bred a grissel,can this be correct also as in all the years i,ve had pigeons this has never happened to me
grizzle is a dominant colour once introduced in to the family it will re-apear from time to time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
peel bros
Oldbird
Oldbird
avatar

Posts : 9371
Join date : 2009-03-27
Age : 52
Location : south shields

PostSubject: Re: TOTALLY STUMPED?????   Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:30 pm

ah right ,thanks
Back to top Go down
View user profile
D J LOFTS
Chipping
Chipping
avatar

Posts : 88
Join date : 2013-01-28
Age : 24
Location : Newcastle upon tyne

PostSubject: Re: TOTALLY STUMPED?????   Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:00 pm

this year we had a cheq c and a cheq w h bred a black yb
and a blue c and a cheq h bred a black and schalie in the same nest
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
avatar

Posts : 13922
Join date : 2009-03-27
Age : 44
Location : Tipton

PostSubject: Re: TOTALLY STUMPED?????   Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:13 pm

fletch wrote:
surely  anything is possible with breeding colours we had a few years ago, two blues bred a opel chequer, nothing in this colour been in the loft for years, but checking the old books it came through the mothers side generations back, and i mean about 6 generations back,
so possibly it could be a throwback from generations  down the line the answer to your question,
i know this and that should not happen but occasionally it does

I will agree 100% Lee

The colour in question has to be a throw back within the breed
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: TOTALLY STUMPED?????   

Back to top Go down
 
TOTALLY STUMPED?????
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Totally Unexpected!!
» Valentine Clipart
» I'm totally perplexed!
» Espalier: Totally braggin' like a proud mama
» bought a new one today...and im stumped at what it could be

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Racing Pigeons,Show & Fancy Pigeons :: General Pigeon News :: Race Results-
Jump to: