Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» Good Morning
Pigeon Trapping Emptyby George & Morgan Yesterday at 5:08 pm

» RPRA Partnerships
Pigeon Trapping Emptyby David Yesterday at 11:48 am

» Weather today
Pigeon Trapping Emptyby David Yesterday at 10:31 am

» BHW Subscriptions
Pigeon Trapping Emptyby David Sat May 11, 2024 10:36 pm

» King removes Patronage
Pigeon Trapping Emptyby David Thu May 09, 2024 8:46 pm

» escaped birds return
Pigeon Trapping Emptyby David Thu May 09, 2024 10:25 am

» Leeds & District Amalgamation
Pigeon Trapping Emptyby George & Morgan Mon May 06, 2024 4:58 pm

» York Road & District Results 2024
Pigeon Trapping Emptyby David Mon May 06, 2024 4:53 pm

» Scandalous .......
Pigeon Trapping Emptyby Knackered Sun May 05, 2024 7:31 am

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) Pigeon Trapping 20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 67 users online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 66 Guests :: 2 Bots

George & Morgan

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.Pigeon Trapping Resise10
Top posting users this week
No user
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1297 registered users
The newest registered user is tharunjohar50

Our users have posted a total of 222795 messages in 14005 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
Pigeon Trapping Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
Pigeon Trapping Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
Pigeon Trapping Vote_lcapPigeon Trapping Voting_barPigeon Trapping Vote_rcap 
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

Pigeon Trapping

Go down 
AuthorMessage
steve1952
Youngbird
Youngbird
steve1952

Pigeon Trapping Empty
PostSubject: Pigeon Trapping   Pigeon Trapping EmptySat Feb 20, 2010 10:56 am

Trapping

Trapping is a big part of the race. If the bird comes home, but does not go in, the race is not over. To win races you have to have birds that will trap on command. This takes conditioning. You have to train over and over when the birds are young, so that it becomes a natural habit for the birds. They don't even think about it, they just do it.

I start this training soon after the birds are weaned. I put them on the landing board with the front closed. I let them look around for a while, then I begin pushing them into the loft. I use a push stick that I made. It is just a long pole with a square piece of plywood attached. The corners are rounded and I made it smooth so it wouldnt' hurt the birds. I use this push stick to maneuver the birds to the trap. They soon learn to go through easily.

I will push them inside, then put them back out on the landing board again and repeat the procedure. I do it several times the first day and repeat it several times each day for a week or two. I want the birds to know what is expected and I want the birds to get accustomed to me pushing them in, so that they don't fly off the landing board on a race day.

All the time I am pushing them in, I whistle and talk to the birds. I use the same command words, "Inside. Come on, inside." The birds learn to associate these words and the whistling with the behavior of going inside the loft. They are rewarded when they get there because their food is waiting for them. Soon the birds know that if I whitstle they are going to get fed. They rush to the trap and enter the coop. Then they get to eat.

When I let the birds out for the first time and everytime I train them, the birds are hungry. I only feed once a day and I do all my training before I feed. Because they are hungry, the birds are anxious to trap and get inside the coop. The birds that don't trap on command, find that the food is all gone when they finally do go inside. Next time I let them out, these birds will be the first into the loft because they are really hungry. They will learn the lesson that to eat they have to trap when I give the command.

On race days, I rarely have a problem with birds that won't trap. About the only time my birds don't rush into the loft is when another flyer's bird comes to the loft. The strange bird is not used to the routine and it will sometimes throw my birds off and confuse them. This happens only once or twice a season, and isn't a great problem.

Another thing that I feel helps me, is that the only place for my birds to land is on the landing boards. I don't have any power lines for the birds to land on. On top of my lofts, I have run pickets with string back and forth to prevent the birds from landing on top of the lofts. I never allow them to stay there if they do it as young birds. After conditioning them for this, they are good to land and trap immediately on race day making it a breeze for me. I don't lose the race because the birds wouldn't trap.
Back to top Go down

Pigeon Trapping
Page 1 of 1