Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» Weather today
training youngbirds Emptyby oldstrain Today at 6:16 pm

» Good Morning
training youngbirds Emptyby oldstrain Today at 6:15 pm

» good luck weekend
training youngbirds Emptyby David Today at 5:25 pm

» Ian Evans BHW Letter
training youngbirds Emptyby Knackered Today at 1:17 am

» birds on loan
training youngbirds Emptyby Knackered Today at 12:40 am

» photo of Morgan
training youngbirds Emptyby Knackered Today at 12:20 am

» Hotting up in the Middle East
training youngbirds Emptyby David Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:35 pm

» Homing World Stud Book
training youngbirds Emptyby George & Morgan Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:46 am

» York Road & District Results 2024
training youngbirds Emptyby David Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:39 am

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) training youngbirds 20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 69 users online :: 4 Registered, 0 Hidden and 65 Guests :: 2 Bots

barnie, David, George & Morgan, oldstrain

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.training youngbirds Resise10
Top posting users this week
George & Morgan
training youngbirds Vote_lcaptraining youngbirds Voting_bartraining youngbirds Vote_rcap 
David
training youngbirds Vote_lcaptraining youngbirds Voting_bartraining youngbirds Vote_rcap 
Knackered
barnie
oldstrain
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1296 registered users
The newest registered user is nelsa19ira

Our users have posted a total of 222407 messages in 13991 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
training youngbirds Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
training youngbirds Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

training youngbirds

Go down 
+9
littlehen
peel bros
notykinlofts
Don Webb
doveside
David
Grizzle cock
dark_chequer
IANYOUNG
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
IANYOUNG
Oldbird
Oldbird
IANYOUNG

training youngbirds Empty
PostSubject: training youngbirds   training youngbirds EmptySun May 17, 2009 3:16 pm

how far do people go on first training toss with youngsters i go about 15 mile
Back to top Go down
dark_chequer
Hatchling
Hatchling
dark_chequer

PostSubject: Re: training youngbirds   training youngbirds EmptySun May 17, 2009 3:32 pm

Hi Ian, When i start training im affraid im a bit of a whimp and might just start at 5 miles......amanda Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Grizzle cock
Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Re: training youngbirds   training youngbirds EmptySun May 17, 2009 6:50 pm

I start at 5 miles 10 miles 20 miles 40 miles-50 miles - 100 mile
I dont exeed 100 miles Useally from there 3 to 4 times, they could take on any distance.
Back to top Go down
IANYOUNG
Oldbird
Oldbird
IANYOUNG

PostSubject: Re: training youngbirds   training youngbirds EmptySun May 17, 2009 7:05 pm

couldnt afford to take them 100mile tosses cost a fortune in diesel and too much time i stick at 30 mile
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: training youngbirds   training youngbirds EmptySun May 17, 2009 7:23 pm

do you take them ian or is it club training
Back to top Go down
IANYOUNG
Oldbird
Oldbird
IANYOUNG

PostSubject: Re: training youngbirds   training youngbirds EmptySun May 17, 2009 7:28 pm

got to take them myself i think this is the reason why they wont trap theres nobody there when they get back from training toss
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: training youngbirds   training youngbirds EmptySun May 17, 2009 7:32 pm

yeah, could be....are we talking about ybs or obs tho ian? i thought you had stopped training w/hood to see how they go....

remember when i told you about my friends bird not trapping from the race, during training they would all arrive more or less togeather and go in like bullets through the trap as this is the first year on ets, but on race days because they came on their own they were reluctant to trap
Back to top Go down
IANYOUNG
Oldbird
Oldbird
IANYOUNG

PostSubject: Re: training youngbirds   training youngbirds EmptySun May 17, 2009 7:34 pm

both ive only just stopped training widowhood cocks
Back to top Go down
IANYOUNG
Oldbird
Oldbird
IANYOUNG

PostSubject: Re: training youngbirds   training youngbirds EmptySun May 17, 2009 7:35 pm

do you think when training it would be better to single them up
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: training youngbirds   training youngbirds EmptySun May 17, 2009 7:39 pm

i think it would get them used to landing and coming in on their own ian, but like you have said, because you take them yourself there is no one there to get them in when they get home so im not sure to be honest.....
Back to top Go down
doveside
In egg (newbie)
In egg (newbie)

PostSubject: Re: training youngbirds   training youngbirds EmptySun May 17, 2009 8:10 pm

Hi everybody
Thanks again for your help my birds picked up very fast still on that antibiotic (Ornithosis cure) from Pharma magic
Sorry guys I am not a racing man but I train them as if I will race them I have all white racers I fly them twice a day and they nicely kited together but they don't go racking do I need to force them to fly longer they yaps 09 but got about 7 of them 08 I want to take them for the first toss but worried as I didn't see them fly for long enough

If members can give there views or technique of flying
many thanks
MO lol!
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: training youngbirds   training youngbirds EmptySun May 17, 2009 8:20 pm

hi mo glad your birds are picking up and showing improvement... Very Happy if you have any 09 ybs as long as they are settled just let them out on their own, if you have older birds with them i dont think they will go off ranging as the obs will hold them back. if your birds are still on eggs or feeding they wont fly for too long anyway as they will want to get back in the loft....
the 08 birds will be safe to train but you want the ybs to be flying well round home and going off on their own ranging before they should be trained.....
good luck with them mo... sunny
Back to top Go down
IANYOUNG
Oldbird
Oldbird
IANYOUNG

PostSubject: Re: training youngbirds   training youngbirds EmptySun May 17, 2009 8:48 pm

i tend to flag mine until they do 45 mins to an hour before long they get used to it and do it without flags
Back to top Go down
doveside
In egg (newbie)
In egg (newbie)

PostSubject: Re: training youngbirds   training youngbirds EmptySun May 17, 2009 10:26 pm

Thank you
I will try this I used to use these flag years ago but wasn't sure if this old fashion now I will lock the 08 back and see
Back to top Go down
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

PostSubject: Re: training youngbirds   training youngbirds EmptySun May 17, 2009 11:01 pm

Iany

You said that you have no one to get your birds in have you tried training around the loft for 40 mins and then put them in the basket straight away, then leave them in the loft as you get there feed, let the birds see you placing food in there boxes take them for there training toss they will not mess about

1, They are hungry 2, they know there feed is in there box

the only set back is if you trap to open door when you get back it will be difficult to get the cocks in the loft as full crop means mess about
Back to top Go down
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

PostSubject: Re: training youngbirds   training youngbirds EmptySun May 17, 2009 11:13 pm

The same goes for young birds get them in a routine and to get them to trap same as the old birds

Training would start when they are ranging well and flying for over an hour
i would start them from 5 miles then stay at 5 miles but toss the birds from different areas so the young birds have to use there brains, move them a few extra miles a time doing the same from diffrent directions until you have reach 30/35 miles then put them on a line of flight and keep them there till the birds are making good time and are confident

From then on always try and make your pigeons use there brains and not follow the leader, to acheive this and if you have the time put the birds up in batches of 2 or 3 (once you are happy they are coming home as a team) they race home better and use there brain better, but tossing the birds in sets of 2 or 3 you must have someone at the loft waiting.
Back to top Go down
doveside
In egg (newbie)
In egg (newbie)

PostSubject: Re: training youngbirds   training youngbirds EmptyMon May 18, 2009 8:08 am

Thanks Ian David
I used the flag and hold the 08 back today and they started ranging half hour fly
My hands is killing me now lol!
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: training youngbirds   training youngbirds EmptyMon May 18, 2009 8:32 pm

thats great mo, im sure the more the 09s are let to fly in a group...the more they will go ranging, it wont be long before they are doing an hour.... Very Happy

keep us up to date mo.... Smile
Back to top Go down
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

PostSubject: Re: training youngbirds   training youngbirds EmptyMon May 18, 2009 10:43 pm

Hi Mo

It starts with young birds get them out shut all doors leave the flags flying and when time is up flags down door open then call birds in, if you continue this as old birds the same routine the pigeons will get used to it.

Flags out fly
Flags down in the loft for a feed
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: training youngbirds   training youngbirds EmptyMon May 18, 2009 11:10 pm

my 08s were flying great as ybs don, and even before they were paired up they were too, but as soon as i paired them and got them on eggs they have never been the same.....
Back to top Go down
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

PostSubject: Re: training youngbirds   training youngbirds EmptyMon May 18, 2009 11:47 pm

No worries David as soon as you part them then they will change there ways or you will change it for them
Back to top Go down
IANYOUNG
Oldbird
Oldbird
IANYOUNG

PostSubject: Re: training youngbirds   training youngbirds EmptyTue May 19, 2009 8:00 pm

a lot of people in our club paired there widowhood cocks up for the national guess what happened ( they went flat ) i learned a fews years back never do it again you learn by your mistakes
Back to top Go down
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

PostSubject: Re: training youngbirds   training youngbirds EmptyWed May 20, 2009 10:44 pm

If you pair the widowhood cock up you are stopping what they are flying home for that little bit of fun with the hen and again the following week, but once you pair them up you stop then from doing what they have been set up to do in racing
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: training youngbirds   training youngbirds EmptyFri Jul 10, 2009 8:00 pm

did you pair the widowhood cocks up ian, like you said you were going to for the last couple of races ? did you notice any change in behavour, did you send them driving( if you paired up again ?)
Back to top Go down
IANYOUNG
Oldbird
Oldbird
IANYOUNG

PostSubject: Re: training youngbirds   training youngbirds EmptyFri Jul 10, 2009 8:28 pm

yes david paired up some are sitting already see if theres any difference with them tomorrow
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: training youngbirds   training youngbirds Empty

Back to top Go down

training youngbirds
Page 1 of 7Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next