Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» Weather today
yearlings how far Emptyby barnie Today at 7:58 pm

» new hen for speed
yearlings how far Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 6:51 pm

» Good Morning
yearlings how far Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 10:21 am

» sorting birds out
yearlings how far Emptyby David Yesterday at 11:33 am

» new rules from Defra
yearlings how far Emptyby David Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:30 pm

» RPRA Auction ........
yearlings how far Emptyby David Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:40 pm

» overnight and multiple nights basket
yearlings how far Emptyby Knackered Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:21 pm

» Loft Location
yearlings how far Emptyby David Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:43 pm

» RPRA , WHAT DO THEY DO ?
yearlings how far Emptyby David Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:43 am

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) yearlings how far 20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 111 users online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 110 Guests :: 2 Bots

barnie

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.yearlings how far Resise10
Top posting users this week
George & Morgan
yearlings how far Vote_lcapyearlings how far Voting_baryearlings how far Vote_rcap 
David
yearlings how far Vote_lcapyearlings how far Voting_baryearlings how far Vote_rcap 
oldstrain
barnie
Knackered
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1293 registered users
The newest registered user is Meddy78

Our users have posted a total of 221961 messages in 13973 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
yearlings how far Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
yearlings how far Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

yearlings how far

Go down 
+4
edgie
mufc rick
peel bros
oldstrain
8 posters
AuthorMessage
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

yearlings how far Empty
PostSubject: yearlings how far   yearlings how far EmptyTue Nov 11, 2014 7:08 pm

how far do members send their yearlings ....I was hoping to get mine to saintes 405 miles ,these are bred for the distance but were bred in may and were well trained but only had one 60 mile race...members thoughts would be appreciated ,but please consider the experience they have had which is not a lot ...thanks
Back to top Go down
peel bros
Oldbird
Oldbird
peel bros

yearlings how far Empty
PostSubject: Re: yearlings how far   yearlings how far EmptyTue Nov 11, 2014 7:28 pm

Same here about 420 miles.but only a selected few
Back to top Go down
mufc rick
Youngbird
Youngbird
mufc rick

yearlings how far Empty
PostSubject: Re: yearlings how far   yearlings how far EmptyTue Nov 11, 2014 7:32 pm

i sent mine just over 400 this year daz with success I did try 3 at niort which over 500 to me 2 cocks 1 hen got the hen bk after 3 weeks the 2 cocks within 2 days 5 weeks late but they all got home on there own .would think twice now b4 I send a yearling over 500 again
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

yearlings how far Empty
PostSubject: Re: yearlings how far   yearlings how far EmptyTue Nov 11, 2014 7:46 pm

yeah I was thinking 400 is enough...I got a few 2,3,4 year olds but they been racing north to 250 mile so will probably send them the same sort of distance,provided everything pans out ok
Back to top Go down
edgie
Youngbird
Youngbird
edgie

yearlings how far Empty
PostSubject: Re: yearlings how far   yearlings how far EmptyTue Nov 11, 2014 8:15 pm

oldstrain wrote:
yeah I was thinking 400 is enough...I got a few 2,3,4 year olds but they been racing north to 250 mile so will probably send them the same sort of distance,provided everything pans out ok
depends on the bird and what you put in its head cheers
Back to top Go down
kev d
Youngbird
Youngbird
kev d

yearlings how far Empty
PostSubject: Re: yearlings how far   yearlings how far EmptyTue Nov 11, 2014 8:22 pm

hi daz, hope your well , i know your racing the channel this coming season
if i was you i would send them up to 300 miles as the channel can be a grave yard for many a pigeon if there not used to it . 300 miles is far enough good luck mate but take it steady with them .
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

yearlings how far Empty
PostSubject: Re: yearlings how far   yearlings how far EmptyTue Nov 11, 2014 9:07 pm

kev d wrote:
hi daz, hope your well , i know your racing the channel this coming season
if i was you i would send them up to 300 miles as the channel can be a grave yard for many a pigeon if there not used to it . 300 miles is far enough good luck mate but take it steady with them .

hi kev ...that would be forgeres then about 260 to me as the next race would be saintes after that....hope yer keeping well m8
Back to top Go down
Rudderfett
Youngbird
Youngbird
Rudderfett

yearlings how far Empty
PostSubject: Re: yearlings how far   yearlings how far EmptyTue Nov 11, 2014 10:13 pm

The thing is with my opinions is they are based on our racing in Pembrokeshire, which it seems is totally different I find from any racing in England or anywhere else.

So with this in mind I will give it anyway but our experiences are different mainly because we just cant keep pigeons long enough for them to develop and show what they can do, so we tend to look after our yearlings.

I have tried lots of methods in fact as many as you can imagine, stopping yearlings altogether after racing them as youngsters, not racing them as youngsters but training then race them as yearlings, also just giving them a few short races and pushing them all the way.

Another factor is we are almost up to 300 miles inland before we get to the channel, so that's about 8 or 9 races before we get over 300, and for me that's enough, so 400 miles is not what I would send them to.

But in other areas distance fanciers with good distance stock send yearlings all the way and it works for them, so I think they will do it if good enough just depends on what you want from them.
I think it all comes down to one thing and that's if they are good enough a pigeon will do almost anything you ask of it.
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

yearlings how far Empty
PostSubject: Re: yearlings how far   yearlings how far EmptyWed Nov 12, 2014 12:32 am

thanks for yer comment martyn
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

yearlings how far Empty
PostSubject: Re: yearlings how far   yearlings how far EmptyWed Nov 12, 2014 4:37 am

edgie wrote:
oldstrain wrote:

depends on the bird and what you put in its head cheers

Oh so true Edgie Smile Smile from my perspective yealings should be able to do 400 miles under reasonable racing conditions surely & isn't pushing the boundary's as far as the distance goes Wink Wink part of the challenge most should be prepared to take on with our birds.

PS, Interesting post also Rudd. cheers
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

yearlings how far Empty
PostSubject: Re: yearlings how far   yearlings how far EmptyWed Nov 12, 2014 9:03 am

thanks for the feedback lads but as these have had just 1 race 60 miles i think i will send them over the channel to forgeres 260 miles and put them away for 2 year olds...all being well ...thanks for helping me make my decision ... being a small team flier i need to really think what i do as i don't want to be back to square 1 ...i do have 4 older hens i can send to saintes if i can get them there atb
Back to top Go down
peel bros
Oldbird
Oldbird
peel bros

yearlings how far Empty
PostSubject: Re: yearlings how far   yearlings how far EmptyWed Nov 12, 2014 7:00 pm

in my case i have to send my birds as far as i can, its a bit different nowaday.have we the time to wait 2 to 3 years to see if a bird is good at the distance.its cost so much to keep a bird that long when you think about it.ie race bills corn ect ect.so if you have a few to try it get  very expensive .what we do is if a bird is showing signs from about 350 miles we,ll give it a go the following year.don,t get me wrong some birds don,t perform as yearling at sprint but can come on as two year old,but again how long do we wait ?..i think if i was to concentrate on one the other it would make things a lot easier..one day i,ll just race distance because i must admit i do prefer it
Back to top Go down
edgie
Youngbird
Youngbird
edgie

yearlings how far Empty
PostSubject: Re: yearlings how far   yearlings how far EmptyWed Nov 12, 2014 7:08 pm

my yearlings go to around 400 give or take and i dont normaly race young birds just train to 12 miles, 2 y.olds at least 500 any over that age goes to around 700 miles, or stock loft if good enough, you have to make room for the up and coming young birds surley ? Basketball
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

yearlings how far Empty
PostSubject: Re: yearlings how far   yearlings how far EmptyWed Nov 12, 2014 7:24 pm

edgie wrote:
my yearlings go to around 400 give or take and i dont normaly race young birds just train to 12 miles, 2 y.olds at least 500 any over that age goes to around 700 miles, or stock loft if good enough, you have to make room for the up and coming young birds surley ? Basketball

I would agree with you generally but I have to build my team first I got 12 yearlings and 9 older birds 2 to 4 years old and 6 of the older ones are sprint /middle type
Back to top Go down
edgie
Youngbird
Youngbird
edgie

yearlings how far Empty
PostSubject: Re: yearlings how far   yearlings how far EmptyWed Nov 12, 2014 8:57 pm

oldstrain wrote:
edgie wrote:

I would agree with you generally but I have to build my team first I got 12 yearlings and 9 older birds 2 to 4 years old and 6 of the older ones are sprint /middle type
how many more years you going to keep them you have to send them to find them then you have to make them, as for 4 year and over defo last year do or die ?
Back to top Go down
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

yearlings how far Empty
PostSubject: Re: yearlings how far   yearlings how far EmptyWed Nov 12, 2014 11:26 pm

edgie wrote:

Will agree with you edgie but have seen yearlings do 500 miles but they have been prepared for that distance
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

yearlings how far Empty
PostSubject: Re: yearlings how far   yearlings how far EmptyThu Nov 13, 2014 12:02 pm

only got 2 4year olds edgie they are out and out sprinters and have served me well at that distance tbh so no point sending them over the pond now you need something for the early races ...for me pigeon racing is about enjoyment and fun not winning although that is nice when it happens ...I visited matt rakes a few years ago don put me onto him and he trains ybs to the coast about 50 mile from him and yearlings he sends 200 mile (messac) then puts them away and as 2 yo he sends them to tarbes 570 and Perpignan thereafter don't think he flies Barcelona and he has gained some top performances ie topping the combine and winning tarbes national with his super hen (indie)...yer right in what you say edgie but I have quite a relaxed attitude with the birds I suppose Smile
Back to top Go down
edgie
Youngbird
Youngbird
edgie

yearlings how far Empty
PostSubject: Re: yearlings how far   yearlings how far EmptyThu Nov 13, 2014 4:37 pm

oldstrain wrote:
only got 2 4year olds edgie they are out and out sprinters and have served me well at that distance tbh so no point sending them over the pond now you need something for the early races ...for me pigeon racing is about enjoyment and fun not winning although that is nice when it happens ...I visited matt rakes a few years ago don put me onto him and he trains ybs to the coast about 50 mile from him and yearlings he sends 200 mile (messac) then puts them away and as 2 yo he sends them to tarbes 570 and Perpignan thereafter don't think he flies Barcelona and he has gained some top performances ie topping the combine and winning tarbes national with his super hen (indie)...yer right in what you say edgie but I have quite a relaxed attitude with the birds I suppose Smile
just for the record when i was in yorkshire tarbes to me was 728 miles , thats well over 200 miles further, no disrespect to indie good bird, you either keep them or race them, which do you do ? good luck when the time comes, me i got 30 yearlings, but they all got to go to 400 or go down trying, like i said, must make room for new crop of youngens, not build another loft, where would it end ?. Basketball cheers
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

yearlings how far Empty
PostSubject: Re: yearlings how far   yearlings how far EmptyThu Nov 13, 2014 4:52 pm

lol yeah I understand where yer coming from ...fortunately I have ample space to go steady with them I only had 20 ybs the last 3 seasons and I am thinking of not breeding this year as the mrs and the wee fella deserve a holiday this year ...thanks for the comments and good luck to you for the coming season
Back to top Go down
kev d
Youngbird
Youngbird
kev d

yearlings how far Empty
PostSubject: Re: yearlings how far   yearlings how far EmptyThu Nov 13, 2014 5:53 pm

good on you daz, be your own man me and the wife are going on hoilday in early june next year , like you say daz its a hobby missing a couple of races its not the end of the world enjoy the wee lad while he is young cos i can tell you the time flies . bye the way where going on hoilday on our own no boys
i can,t wait .
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

yearlings how far Empty
PostSubject: Re: yearlings how far   yearlings how far EmptyThu Nov 13, 2014 6:20 pm

kev d wrote:
good on you daz, be your own man me and the wife are going on hoilday in early june next year , like you say daz its a hobby missing a couple of races its not the end of the world enjoy the wee lad while he is young cos i can tell you the time flies . bye the way where going on hoilday on our own no boys
i can,t wait .

yeah yer right their kev the wee fella is 2yr 6months now going on 5 Laughing he is coming along in leaps and bounds so want to enjoy his early life as much as possible before its passes us by ...enjoy yer 2nd honeymoon kev Basketball lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

yearlings how far Empty
PostSubject: Re: yearlings how far   yearlings how far Empty

Back to top Go down

yearlings how far
Page 1 of 1