Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  UK Pigeon SalesUK Pigeon Sales  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» Ryan Williams Welcome....
by David Today at 8:46 pm

» any new stock ?
by oldstrain Today at 8:01 pm

» Whose bringing in new stock
by Lofty Today at 7:33 pm

» 2018 breeding plans.
by David Today at 6:55 pm

» Club shows
by chuda Today at 5:58 pm

» Breeding by the phases of the MOON
by oldstrain Today at 12:08 pm

» Terrible weather.
by Lofty Today at 10:02 am

» Time check folks.
by David Today at 9:45 am

» Adverts are Back !!!!
by David Today at 9:44 am

Forum Syndicate
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
Who is online?
In total there are 49 users online :: 5 Registered, 0 Hidden and 44 Guests :: 2 Bots

blueskylofts, Boosey, chuda, David, jet2013uk

Most users ever online was 144 on Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:37 am
Bucktons 2017 Calendar
Pigeon World Forum, Fancier of the Year Trophy.
Top posting users this week
David

oldstrain

halcanada

blueskylofts

Lofty

chuda

Red Pied

ch pied

Don Webb

friendsloft

Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1100 registered users
The newest registered user is Ryan Williams

Our users have posted a total of 155779 messages in 10342 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
John Gibbs young pied/grizzle winner.
Top posters
David

Don Webb

IANYOUNG

oldstrain

peel bros

Gaz b

Knackered

birdy2011

Rene A

Alex

Share | 

Help With Mould

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Boosey
Youngbird
Youngbird

PostSubject: Help With Mould   Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:36 pm

I've had a stinker, I've had a new loft built in the summer, it looks really good, 3 spacious airy sections.

I Wanted it to last so I gave it all 2 coats of wood preserver, inside and out, all looks pucker.

Then a couple of weeks ago I noticed some blue mould on the walls, ive never seen anything like it before, I know mould is disastrous in a pigeon loft.

I couldn't understand it, I Studied airflow and have designed the loft with that in mind.

I've been hoovering the walls, once a week, and i've also noticed mould on the outside wall.

I've been racking my brains what to do as ive had a few with wet droppings although they seem fine apart from that, the loft already has good ventilation. confused

Then today I went to my wood store as I wanted to make a set of hospital hutches, and to my amazement, all the offcuts with wood stain on from when I had the loft built were covered in blue mould, and all the wood that wernt treated were bone dry and had no mould on them.

So it must be the B&Q wood preserver is attracting the mould.

Has anyone else ever encountered this problem.

I want to breed in February but cant with this problem.

I'm wondering if whitewashing the inside of the loft may work.

I would be grateful for any tips.

Ps, I'm
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
barnie
Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Re: Help With Mould   Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:02 pm

Was your loft made with brand new timber or second hand material? If it was brand new maybe it wasnt completely dried out right through before you coated it and the dampness is seeping out reacting with the preservative? I know my brother in law bought a shed and dog run it was still green and since it dried out some of the timbers split and theres gaps where the feather and grooves have shrunk.
or maybe the preservative has stopped the wood breathing allowing some condensation to form and mould to grow. A water and bleach mix should shift it but seems like the preservative on both sides isn't helping if the uncoated stuff in your store is not affected.
hope you get it sorted ready for breeding good luck.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
David
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: Help With Mould   Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:07 pm

sounds like you've found the problem boosey, if offcuts from the loft painted with stain are also covered in mould, I would agree its the b&q stain........and I think in this sort of damp, cold weather it will bring it out.

bleach kills mould off to a certain degree, but im not sure bleaching the walls inside the loft is a good idea.....maybe giving them a light sanding over with an electric sander and then repaint with emulsion would cure it ???
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
birdy2011
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: Help With Mould   Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:16 pm

i think you will find that the wood was damp before you or who ever put the preservative on either inside or out side and now the frost has come the damp in the wood has expanded and needs to get out how ever as both sides are now sealed it will need to find a way out this may also cause the wood to blow ie the water withing is lookig for a way out and untill it can it will turn to mould
wood needs to breath first never treat bear wood in damp conditins all you are doing is sealing in the moisture till such time it needs to find a way out
Back to top Go down
View user profile
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: Help With Mould   Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:18 pm

you should never coat the inside of the loft with anything if it was me I would put a deep litter down on the floor to absorb moisture in the loft and get some of them damp absorbers for caravans but make sure you put them in a closed nest box as the salts are poisonous ...the deep litter may be enough though atb
Back to top Go down
View user profile
birdy2011
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: Help With Mould   Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:32 pm

your right there daz but no need to buy expensive stuff just fill a few good sized bowls with salt as daz says out of harms way we did this in our caravans
we used large plastic mixing bowls about a quid from pound shop fill with salt and just leave um in safe place
after 3 month we would go back to our caravan no damp what so ever
but the salt was rock hard hence it did the job
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Boosey
Youngbird
Youngbird

PostSubject: Re: Help With Mould   Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:37 pm

Thanks all, thinking back now it was a very wet period.
I think your right, I have sealed a lot of moisture in the ply.
Schoolboy error.
Roll on the warm weather, hopefully it will dry out. sunny
We learn by our mistakes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: Help With Mould   Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:44 pm

barnie wrote:
Was your loft made with brand new timber or second hand material? If it was brand new maybe it wasnt completely dried out right through before you coated it and the dampness is seeping out reacting with the preservative?  I know my brother in law bought a shed and dog run it was still green and since it dried out some of the timbers split and theres gaps where the feather and grooves have shrunk.
or maybe the preservative has stopped the wood breathing allowing some condensation to form and mould to grow. A water and bleach mix should shift it but seems like the preservative on both sides isn't helping if the uncoated stuff in your store is not affected.
hope you get it sorted ready for breeding good luck.

Intersting about the water/bleach remedy Barnie Smile Smile I'm a vinegar/bleach mix man in the loft, as by my understanding it has far more power to kill germs/virus's etc. Short term these type of things may fix Booseys issues but not in the long run I suspect. Just a thought Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes take all the pigeons out of the loft & put heaters in there to really dry the loft out type of thing & then look at the ventilation. One of those issues fortunately I have never seen. Thou if ever I see mould on the pigeon droppings here, which is rare I put them straight onto gentein voilet crystals type of thing in there water for a few days. cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: Help With Mould   Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:02 pm

oldstrain wrote:
you should never coat the inside of the loft with anything if it was me I would put a deep litter down on the floor to absorb moisture in the loft and get some of them damp absorbers for caravans but make sure you put them in a closed nest box as the salts are poisonous ...the deep litter may be enough though atb

Interesting about the damp absorbers etc O/S Smile Smile when I built my house here  I cut into the side of the hill  & the 2 front rooms at times tend to be a bit on the damp side & as such we use them to help take the moisture out of the rooms over winter. Works terrific Wink Wink & it just fascinates me when I see the water in the jars/bowls as it builds up over time. cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: Help With Mould   Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:38 pm

I don't know for sure boosey but maybe a blow torch on the loft boards may draw the damp out ....worth a pop though
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Boosey
Youngbird
Youngbird

PostSubject: Re: Help With Mould   Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:41 pm

Just an update on my mould situation.
It was everywhere blue and green.

I hoovered every nook and cranny, rubbed it all hard with the Hoover brush attachment.

It took flipping hours to get every bit off.

Then I made up a strong solution of malt vinegar and water, and covered the whole loft with a fine spray.

It's been a month of damp cold weather since I did it and I havnt seen a hint of mould since.

Thanks for all the tips everyone.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
David
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: Help With Mould   Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:06 pm

glad to hear you got it sorted boosey........ cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: Help With Mould   Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:11 pm

glad to hear you got it sorted boosey ...damp spores would be very damaging to the birds
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: Help With Mould   Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:59 pm

David wrote:
glad to hear you got it sorted boosey........ cheers

I'm also pleased it appears Boosey  Smile  Smile has sorted his problems out etc.
Must be absolute crap putting up with dampness to that scale in ones loft. Interesting tho that what I would call a cheap remedy, has fixed the issue. cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help With Mould   

Back to top Go down

Help With Mould
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1