Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» Weather today
dramatic rescue of a racing pigeon 40 years ago. Emptyby barnie Today at 7:58 pm

» new hen for speed
dramatic rescue of a racing pigeon 40 years ago. Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 6:51 pm

» Good Morning
dramatic rescue of a racing pigeon 40 years ago. Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 10:21 am

» sorting birds out
dramatic rescue of a racing pigeon 40 years ago. Emptyby David Yesterday at 11:33 am

» new rules from Defra
dramatic rescue of a racing pigeon 40 years ago. Emptyby David Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:30 pm

» RPRA Auction ........
dramatic rescue of a racing pigeon 40 years ago. Emptyby David Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:40 pm

» overnight and multiple nights basket
dramatic rescue of a racing pigeon 40 years ago. Emptyby Knackered Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:21 pm

» Loft Location
dramatic rescue of a racing pigeon 40 years ago. Emptyby David Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:43 pm

» RPRA , WHAT DO THEY DO ?
dramatic rescue of a racing pigeon 40 years ago. Emptyby David Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:43 am

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) dramatic rescue of a racing pigeon 40 years ago. 20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 72 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 72 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.dramatic rescue of a racing pigeon 40 years ago. Resise10
Top posting users this week
George & Morgan
dramatic rescue of a racing pigeon 40 years ago. Vote_lcapdramatic rescue of a racing pigeon 40 years ago. Voting_bardramatic rescue of a racing pigeon 40 years ago. Vote_rcap 
David
dramatic rescue of a racing pigeon 40 years ago. Vote_lcapdramatic rescue of a racing pigeon 40 years ago. Voting_bardramatic rescue of a racing pigeon 40 years ago. Vote_rcap 
oldstrain
barnie
Knackered
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1293 registered users
The newest registered user is Meddy78

Our users have posted a total of 221961 messages in 13973 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
dramatic rescue of a racing pigeon 40 years ago. Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
dramatic rescue of a racing pigeon 40 years ago. Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

dramatic rescue of a racing pigeon 40 years ago.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
IANYOUNG
Oldbird
Oldbird
IANYOUNG

dramatic rescue of a racing pigeon 40 years ago. Empty
PostSubject: dramatic rescue of a racing pigeon 40 years ago.   dramatic rescue of a racing pigeon 40 years ago. EmptyMon Mar 23, 2015 6:55 pm

something i found on internet

Geoff Hayes, 90, of Ilkeston, recalls his dramatic rescue of a racing pigeon 40 years ago.

I WAS employed as a rigger's mate, working full-time on and around the iron furnaces at Stanton Ironworks.

It was generally hard and brutal work. You were involved with heavy blocks and tackle, pull lifts, always clambering and climbing the furnaces and gas stores.

I had been doing this work for at least 15 years, so I knew a little bit about furnaces, gas plants, cleaning plants, casting plants, the works.
Related content

One lovely summer Friday afternoon, when I was the last man in the queue waiting patiently to clock out at about 4pm, I looked skywards idly watching a flight of pigeons flying high towards the ironworks.

To hazard a guess, I would have said about 25 of them. I calculated they were about 150ft high, flying fast in full racing mode.

They looked small for pigeons but they looked very fit and businesslike. They were passing over No 3 furnace when the unthinkable happened – one of them collided with the boom wire at the furnace top. The very top.

It spiraled down in a small heap. I guessed it was quite dead, lying on the very top of the furnace platform where it would be blown with the skips of coke and other materials into the furnace. I stood there, just taking in the scene.

The rest of the birds continued their flight and disappeared into the distance.

"It must be dead, surely, but just suppose it isn't," I thought to myself. "Will it be lying there, helpless?"

I moved forward to clock out and, having done so, I had made up my mind to find out. I walked out with my cycle back down into the furnace yard. My luck was in.

There was no-one about, the entire furnace yard was deserted and there was no-one in the haulage winding house. I looked all around again. A second's prayer, then it was up and over the safety gate I went.

Soon I was racing up the steel staircase to the landing walk. I walked fast and came to furnace No 3. I was soon climbing up the vertical steel rungs to the summit of the furnace. I was nearly drowned by the cooling waters but, not to worry, I was almost at the top.

I reached and pulled myself on to the platform. I passed through the safety rails and I soon saw the poor little bird.

I picked it up and shoved him, very gently of course, down my shirt front and soon was making my way down the side of the furnace.

Where I'd been was "strictly forbidden" unless all arranged and having specially trained safety officers in attendance.

There was a well-told story about a furnace workman who disappeared from the furnaces a few years before my time. He was working on the coke burners and just disappeared.

It was assumed he had fallen down the chute into the large skip, lost consciousness, then tonnes of coke and materials had been tipped on to him. He would then have been hauled up the rails to the summit and tipped into the furnace. He had clocked on as usual that morning but was never seen again.

I scuttled down the furnace staircase, up and over the gate and, with my bike to hand, set off for home.

I shouted for my wife, June, when I arrived and retrieved the little bird. We checked it over. It was blue-grey in colour. It was small and we were still not sure whether it was dead or alive. It had a wound the size of a half crown on its body which was caused by the collision with the wire at the furnace top. We treated that with antiseptic.

I took him to our dog kennel, placed him on the straw, left some drinking water and locked the door. We would wait and see.

At first light, the next morning, I went to check him out and we were delighted to see him on his feet. It made June and I feel good. I bought some pigeon meal, I put a perch up and he was kept in the quiet for a fortnight.

He started hopping on his perch. I then made inquiries with a pigeon trainer I knew in Trowell. I got the address of the Pigeon Racing Association, sent them the bird's racing number and included a stamped addressed envelope with my details.

Eventually, a letter arrived from the bird's owner who lived in Northumberland. The bird was an expensive one. I contacted him and told him the story. He came on a Saturday morning while June and I were out.

He took the pigeon, leaving me a lovely letter of thanks which ended with the words, "Yours in sport".

I read this over and over. Those three words meant everything. I just smiled.

It would need a king's ransom, in fact more than a king's ransom, to surpass my pure joy.
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: dramatic rescue of a racing pigeon 40 years ago.   dramatic rescue of a racing pigeon 40 years ago. EmptyMon Mar 23, 2015 7:08 pm

nice story ian.......... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

PostSubject: Re: dramatic rescue of a racing pigeon 40 years ago.   dramatic rescue of a racing pigeon 40 years ago. EmptyMon Mar 23, 2015 8:06 pm

David wrote:
nice story ian.......... Very Happy

Same, same Smile Smile One lucky little pigeon I suspect  Wink as he come across someone fortunately, who did not think he was just a flying rat etc. cheers
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: dramatic rescue of a racing pigeon 40 years ago.   dramatic rescue of a racing pigeon 40 years ago. EmptyMon Mar 23, 2015 8:13 pm

yes too many non fanciers think of them as flying rats knackered.........its amazing what propaganda and indoctrination can do eh study
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

PostSubject: Re: dramatic rescue of a racing pigeon 40 years ago.   dramatic rescue of a racing pigeon 40 years ago. EmptyMon Mar 23, 2015 8:19 pm

nice wee story that ...nice to think that some people actually care Smile
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

PostSubject: Re: dramatic rescue of a racing pigeon 40 years ago.   dramatic rescue of a racing pigeon 40 years ago. EmptyMon Mar 23, 2015 10:17 pm

David wrote:
yes too many non fanciers think of them as flying rats knackered.........its amazing what propaganda and indoctrination can do eh study

MMMMMMMMmmmmmmmm Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes All starts at the top of the tree David Wink Wink with our politicians etc lol! lol! lol!"Propaganda" & then filters down wards to the gutter as such. cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: dramatic rescue of a racing pigeon 40 years ago.   dramatic rescue of a racing pigeon 40 years ago. Empty

Back to top Go down

dramatic rescue of a racing pigeon 40 years ago.
Page 1 of 1