Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» Weather today
are my birds sick? - Page 2 Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 6:26 am

» Good Morning
are my birds sick? - Page 2 Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 6:25 am

» RPRA Partnerships
are my birds sick? - Page 2 Emptyby David Yesterday at 11:48 am

» BHW Subscriptions
are my birds sick? - Page 2 Emptyby David Sat May 11, 2024 10:36 pm

» King removes Patronage
are my birds sick? - Page 2 Emptyby David Thu May 09, 2024 8:46 pm

» escaped birds return
are my birds sick? - Page 2 Emptyby David Thu May 09, 2024 10:25 am

» Leeds & District Amalgamation
are my birds sick? - Page 2 Emptyby George & Morgan Mon May 06, 2024 4:58 pm

» York Road & District Results 2024
are my birds sick? - Page 2 Emptyby David Mon May 06, 2024 4:53 pm

» Scandalous .......
are my birds sick? - Page 2 Emptyby Knackered Sun May 05, 2024 7:31 am

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) are my birds sick? - Page 2 20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 51 users online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 50 Guests :: 2 Bots

George & Morgan

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.are my birds sick? - Page 2 Resise10
Top posting users this week
George & Morgan
are my birds sick? - Page 2 Vote_lcapare my birds sick? - Page 2 Voting_barare my birds sick? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1297 registered users
The newest registered user is tharunjohar50

Our users have posted a total of 222797 messages in 14005 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
are my birds sick? - Page 2 Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
are my birds sick? - Page 2 Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
are my birds sick? - Page 2 Vote_lcapare my birds sick? - Page 2 Voting_barare my birds sick? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

are my birds sick?

Go down 
+5
Don Webb
David
Rudderfett
IANYOUNG
geordiejen
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

are my birds sick? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: are my birds sick?   are my birds sick? - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 10:39 pm

You are doing your best, but can say that the jeyes fluid will help keep the germs down
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: are my birds sick?   are my birds sick? - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 11:17 pm

surely someone on here must know if it is cocci, i cant remember if you give the exact symptums on original post .......ill go back and check, i know the normal ets are no use re pigeons but there are labs who test pigeon droppings who advertise in bhw and rp weeklys.......

the thing is that if you are treating for cocci and it isnt that you are maybe making things worse...... scratch

wait and see if anyone can suggest anything...... flower
Back to top Go down
steve1952
Youngbird
Youngbird
steve1952

PostSubject: Re: are my birds sick?   are my birds sick? - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 12, 2010 5:45 am

a guy on another forum had probs birds dropping dead, nobody knew what it was, turned out to be bad worm infestation after tests came back from glasgow, but results take a few days
Back to top Go down
geordiejen
Hatchling
Hatchling
geordiejen

PostSubject: Re: are my birds sick?   are my birds sick? - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 12, 2010 7:16 pm

never had a bout of cocci but have seen watery droppings which cleared up with no problems.maybe its a bad dose of cocci or maybe its a strain which isnt responding to coxoid.will just keep them on it and well hydrated with lots of water.see what comes back on monday from the vet.cheers guys for all the posts and will let you know what the vet says.
Back to top Go down
geordiejen
Hatchling
Hatchling
geordiejen

PostSubject: Re: are my birds sick?   are my birds sick? - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 23, 2010 11:06 pm

birds have alldried up now appart from one.still some new ones getting it and the vets report came back with a normal reading.different thing found in the sample but at normal levels that the birds can cope with.no illness or death in my own birds so its a bit of a mystery.each bird had 2 weeks of drinking lots of water so will leave it as a mystery but thankfully no casualties.
Back to top Go down
Grizzle cock
Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Re: are my birds sick?   are my birds sick? - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 24, 2010 6:04 pm

I noticed sometimes similar droppings , day after giving yogurt, and brew yeast. Maybe excretion of gram positive bacteria , instead of dark green, gram negative bacteria. Only a thought. flower
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: are my birds sick?   are my birds sick? - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 24, 2010 8:15 pm

i think some of the times our birds droppings are off colour could be down to fanciers giving treatments and potions, or even changing corn............so it might not always mean they are ill. scratch

just a thought..... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

PostSubject: Re: are my birds sick?   are my birds sick? - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 24, 2010 10:59 pm

You have a point there David good one at that
Back to top Go down
geordiejen
Hatchling
Hatchling
geordiejen

PostSubject: Re: are my birds sick?   are my birds sick? - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 24, 2010 11:08 pm

i understand your thinking but this seems to be very contagous.its now spread into my main loft and the loft is looking wet and mucky.i bought a sprayer at the weekend and i am cleaning out the loft every night and spraying some warm water and bleach on the floor and perches.trying them on a mild antibiotic metronizadole which is intended for humans with diahorea but it has made a few of them vomit so i have taken them off it.i think it may be some sort of virus.birds are vaccinated for paramyxo but maybe something similar.does anyone know of any viruses that the birds could have.this is going on 3 weeks and nobody can tell me what the hell is going on with the birds.its not bacterial so i dont know what.a few of the earlier birds droppings have dried up but im a bit alarmed as 2 of the 7 birds are holding the head a bit squint,wee bit lop sided.no wing boils no cloudy eyes or neck twisting.no sitting blown or going off feed or losing weight.they are reluctant to fly,so their energy is low i think.some of the birds are not interested in mating either.
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: are my birds sick?   are my birds sick? - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 24, 2010 11:12 pm

noticed when they have been pecking in garden the droppings go black, most likely due to pecking in the soil.........once had a bird who had been pecking in garden and within 10 mins of coming in the loft his droppings were like water and hunched up , took a couple of days for him to come back to normal but he was ok in the end.......
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: are my birds sick?   are my birds sick? - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 24, 2010 11:14 pm

geordiejen, why dont you just send off for a testing kit.......they sell them in homing world or r.p. weekly, then you will get some idea of whats wrong with them and treat accordingly.
Back to top Go down
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

PostSubject: Re: are my birds sick?   are my birds sick? - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 24, 2010 11:21 pm

I'd agree there David if you know what you are looking for then it would be money well spent getting a testing kit study
Back to top Go down
peel bros
Oldbird
Oldbird
peel bros

PostSubject: Re: are my birds sick?   are my birds sick? - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 25, 2010 6:34 am

yes they are worth the money and you get the results quickly
Back to top Go down
Rudderfett
Youngbird
Youngbird
Rudderfett

PostSubject: Re: are my birds sick?   are my birds sick? - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 25, 2010 3:39 pm

Very Happy I dont know what others think but I never let my birds on the garden, its sure to give you problems. everything walks across it dogs, cats rats and wild bird droppings, the birds will eat almost anything in my opinion. stay clear and youll stay clear of trouble.
Back to top Go down
peel bros
Oldbird
Oldbird
peel bros

PostSubject: Re: are my birds sick?   are my birds sick? - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 25, 2010 6:08 pm

i think most problems are air bourne not from the garden
Back to top Go down
Rudderfett
Youngbird
Youngbird
Rudderfett

PostSubject: Re: are my birds sick?   are my birds sick? - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 25, 2010 6:14 pm

I agree some diseases are airbourne, but some things do come from the garden, worms, cocidosis, just to name a few.
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: are my birds sick?   are my birds sick? - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 25, 2010 6:35 pm

when settling ybs i just leave them to roam around the garden/grass so they get their bearings, even if they go on the house roof i dont mind as this is a delecate time when other years ive suffered badly with flyaways........
Back to top Go down
geordiejen
Hatchling
Hatchling
geordiejen

PostSubject: Re: are my birds sick?   are my birds sick? - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 25, 2010 9:51 pm

ive already sent specimens to the vet and they have come back normal for bactria but it could be a virus and they cant test for that unless i give them a dead bird.dont have any dead birds so im not going to nut one for that reason.
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: are my birds sick?   are my birds sick? - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 25, 2010 9:58 pm

geordiejen wrote:
ive already sent specimens to the vet and they have come back normal for bactria but it could be a virus and they cant test for that unless i give them a dead bird.dont have any dead birds so im not going to nut one for that reason.

most vets dont have a clue about pigeons, so i think your wasting your time with them.......send a testing kit off and then you will know whats wrong and be able to get the proper medication to make them right again........ Very Happy
Back to top Go down
IANYOUNG
Oldbird
Oldbird
IANYOUNG

PostSubject: Re: are my birds sick?   are my birds sick? - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 25, 2010 10:07 pm

DAVID wrote:
geordiejen wrote:

most vets dont have a clue about pigeons, so i think your wasting your time with them.......send a testing kit off and then you will know whats wrong and be able to get the proper medication to make them right again........ Very Happy

i take it when you say vet you mean pigeon vet geordiejen
Back to top Go down
geordiejen
Hatchling
Hatchling
geordiejen

PostSubject: Re: are my birds sick?   are my birds sick? - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 25, 2010 10:08 pm

the vet had sent them off to the vet college in glasgow.
Back to top Go down
geordiejen
Hatchling
Hatchling
geordiejen

PostSubject: Re: are my birds sick?   are my birds sick? - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 29, 2010 10:03 pm

got other results in and its worms.getting them treated so heres hoping i can get back to my breeding soon.
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: are my birds sick?   are my birds sick? - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 29, 2010 10:05 pm

geordiejen wrote:
got other results in and its worms.getting them treated so heres hoping i can get back to my breeding soon.

glad youve got it sorted geordiejen, treat them and youll be fine........hope the breeding goes well Very Happy
Back to top Go down
geordiejen
Hatchling
Hatchling
geordiejen

PostSubject: Re: are my birds sick?   are my birds sick? - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 29, 2010 11:13 pm

cheers david.i have never had a bout of worms before.i just treated them for worms at the turn of the year but this doesnt vaccinate them if a new bird brings them in then they will go down with it.lesson learned and i will not be taking in any birds during the breeding season.i will be buying a few bags of wood shavings to keep the floor dry and help stop the cycle.i have lost a few youngsters and a few adults mainly due to a secondary infection.the vet said the worms shouldnt be killing adult birds as its not a particularly bad type of worm.i suppose any type of worm is a problem when they have been skooshing water out of their rear end for 3 weeks.
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: are my birds sick?   are my birds sick? - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 29, 2010 11:17 pm

geordiejen wrote:
cheers david.i have never had a bout of worms before.i just treated them for worms at the turn of the year but this doesnt vaccinate them if a new bird brings them in then they will go down with it.lesson learned and i will not be taking in any birds during the breeding season.i will be buying a few bags of wood shavings to keep the floor dry and help stop the cycle.i have lost a few youngsters and a few adults mainly due to a secondary infection.the vet said the worms shouldnt be killing adult birds as its not a particularly bad type of worm.i suppose any type of worm is a problem when they have been skooshing water out of their rear end for 3 weeks.

i wouldnt have thought worms could be so devastating but it just goes to show that it can........i agree, we must always be careful when introducing new birds in with our own and it is always best to isolate them for maybe a week or so i would emagine..........

glad youve finally got it sorted anyway. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: are my birds sick?   are my birds sick? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

are my birds sick?
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next