Forum for Pigeon Fanciers
 
HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  UK Pigeon SalesUK Pigeon Sales  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» help on wot 2 use on pigeon lace
by David Today at 5:48 pm

» Today's bargain
by David Today at 5:47 pm

» 12//8/17 anyone sent ?
by David Today at 5:45 pm

» Midweek race anyone
by Lofty Today at 5:04 pm

» Happy Birthday Blueskylofts....
by Tony scaife Today at 4:59 pm

» Straps For Baskets.
by Lofty Today at 4:50 pm

» Europigeons and Jan de Wijs
by blueskylofts Today at 12:35 pm

» Tuesday 15th. Race Day, Live Link.
by David Today at 12:20 pm

» Weather today
by David Today at 11:35 am

Bucktons 2017 Calendar
Who is online?
In total there are 32 users online :: 3 Registered, 0 Hidden and 29 Guests :: 2 Bots

Briant, David, Lofty

Most users ever online was 144 on Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:37 am
Pigeon World Forum, Fancier of the Year Trophy.
Top posting users this week
David
 
Lofty
 
oldstrain
 
blueskylofts
 
Knackered
 
johnnorm2
 
Boosey
 
redrog
 
Tony scaife
 
Don Webb
 
Sir Rene Archer wins 1st & 2nd club.
Rene Archer wins 1st and 2nd from Messac 118 miles on the 02/06/12 with a 2year old Jan Aarden which was lightly raced as a yearling...... Rene also took 1st on the 19/05/12 from Carentan 62 miles with a Barker, his daughters were also 2nd in the same race where they were the only birds home on the day.....Well done to Rene and his daughters.
Similar topics
Links.
Statistics
We have 1094 registered users
The newest registered user is Tony scaife

Our users have posted a total of 153750 messages in 10167 subjects
Log in
Username:
Password:
Log in automatically: 
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
John Gibbs young pied/grizzle winner.
Top posters
David
 
Don Webb
 
IANYOUNG
 
oldstrain
 
peel bros
 
Gaz b
 
Knackered
 
birdy2011
 
Rene A
 
Alex
 

Share | 
 

 training distance

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
avatar

Posts : 10097
Join date : 2011-01-03

PostSubject: training distance   Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:45 pm

how far do you train or how far do you think ybs need to be trained we usually go 25 mile but is it really necessary or would plenty of chucks at half the distance suffice ...what are members thoughts/views
Back to top Go down
View user profile
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
avatar

Posts : 29094
Join date : 2009-03-18
Location : Leeds

PostSubject: Re: training distance   Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:51 pm

when I raced ybs in 2014 season I only took mine to Pontefract race course, which is approx. 12 - 15 to me, I took them every day and in the first race I would have took the first 5 positions, but they wouldn't trap, they sat on the loft just looking at me........ Razz , our club sec lives a stones throw away and him and another members witnessed them arrive.

this was only from 56 miles though and after they failed to trap I altered my feeding which I shouldn't have done, and it took them weeks before they were up with the first birds again.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
markevans
Youngbird
Youngbird
avatar

Posts : 1466
Join date : 2015-01-25
Age : 51
Location : Wolverhampton

PostSubject: Re: training distance   Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:03 pm

we try to take ours 30mls 4 times a week weather permitting for young and old birds as we fly natural with old birds and young
Back to top Go down
View user profile
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
avatar

Posts : 1429
Join date : 2014-03-11
Age : 77
Location : Southern Ontario. Canada.

PostSubject: Re: training distance   Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:19 pm

That is a 'depends' question. If they are flying and roaming, fewer tosses are needed. Many have different schedules. Some train hard, others not with basically same results.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
avatar

Posts : 5651
Join date : 2013-03-11

PostSubject: Re: training distance   Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:00 am

halcanada wrote:
That is a 'depends' question. If they are flying and roaming, fewer tosses are needed. Many have different schedules. Some train hard, others not with basically same results.

True Hal Smile Smile Simple equation Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes from my perspective  Wink  Wink. If you wish to spend money hours & pigeons that need flogging down the road etc to get a result, buy the same. If on the other hand bounce bounce you wish to take an easier avenue Smile Smile buy the same Wink Wink. Now !!! figure this one out lol! lol! lol! as which boat I belong too. Certain blokes here are already down the road tossing etc with our first race being the 2nd week in June & I Wink Wink still have babies in the nest that haven't gone over to the race loft yet. cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shippy
Hatchling
Hatchling


Posts : 756
Join date : 2012-02-25
Age : 68
Location : darlington

PostSubject: Re: training distance   Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:02 am


with y/birds no farther than 12ml because i cannot afford to go any farther
Back to top Go down
View user profile
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
avatar

Posts : 29094
Join date : 2009-03-18
Location : Leeds

PostSubject: Re: training distance   Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:11 am

my main problem training myself is cats, obviously the pigeons get home before me and there`s no one there to call them in, so they are prey to cats....... Crying or Very sad Sad
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
avatar

Posts : 10097
Join date : 2011-01-03

PostSubject: Re: training distance   Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:29 am

tether that beast outside the loft Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blueskylofts
Youngbird
Youngbird
avatar

Posts : 1325
Join date : 2016-02-28
Age : 63
Location : Pontivy, Central Brittany, FRANCE

PostSubject: training young birds   Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:53 am

oldstrain wrote:
how far do you train or how far do you think ybs need to be trained we usually go 25 mile but is it really necessary or would plenty of chucks at half the distance suffice ...what are members thoughts/views

When I raced before I was in partnership with my real partner - we are now married and are going to race as Mr & Mrs.

Anyway, YB training:-

In our first year, we won the club's Young Bird Trophy. We won every race bar 2 in the whole young bird calendar.

In our second year of racing young birds - we won Everything and every race, sometimes taking the first 4 places.

We topped the Fed in the Young Bird Championship race from Picauville. There were ONLY three birds back in race time and we had Two of them. We had our names and pictures on the front page of both of the pigeon comics!

We used to train twice a week by car (our car) and maybe once a week with the club for the first couple of weeks. Starting off at 8 miles from the loft then working up to around 20 to 25 miles. Then we did ALL our own training, week in and week out. After than, when the race distances got a bit greater, we started training by car in early morning liberating around 09:30 or late afternoon around 18:00, gradually increasing the distances of the training tosses.

In our Fed most of the birds went directly up the River Severn towards Gloucester. We had to get our birds to break early and not follow the birds up the Severn but to find their own lines. The problem being, if our birds followed the rest up the Severn and then had to peel off to Stroud, they would be wasting time.

I don't believe in only training up to 20/25 miles. I think it is important to train at much greater distances. I also think that it is important where you liberate your birds on training tosses.

At the end of the day, there are only two types of pigeons, leaders and followers. If you want to win and win again, your birds have to be leaders so they need to know as early as possible where they are going. And that might not be in the direction that most of the birds are going.

I remember quite clearly that, sometimes, we would have two or three birds home minutes before anybody else in the club had birds, which to me means that they were leaders and therefore knew the fastest way home.

So, in a nutshell, I believe the following:-

1. Training up to and possibly beyond 60 miles from the loft gives you the edge, and

2. The direction that you train from is probably more important.

As for how many times a week, it really depends on the type of birds you have. If you have a slower maturing type of bird, then you need to take things a bit easier. I think two or three times in the car or with the club is perfectly OK, as long as they are flying well around the loft and disappearing several times during their training time. I don't believe in flagging the birds unless they are particularly lazy.

Feeding is very important with young birds as they are not very motivated by their loft yet or the person who is looking after them, and of course by their very nature not so keen on the opposite sex until you get to the longer races. You have to feed for the amount of exercise the birds are doing whether that is around the loft or on training tosses. Too much corn will inhibit their desire to come into the loft, and not enough corn will stunt their growth, it is all a matter of balance.

Also, there is a question about what time of da to train. I have trained from almost first light in the morning to when it is starting to get dusk at night. I sincerely believe it is good to give your birds training flights at different times of the day. What we need to try and do is to emulate the times of when we would expect them to be liberated in a race.

I find the whole subject of training - young birds in particular - very interesting.

However, there are big questions regarding training:-

1. Do you have the time?

2. Do you have the money to pay for the fuel?

3. Should you be training YOUR birds with other people's birds, for instance other club members' birds?

Again, I believe it is pretty essential to give your birds experience of flying, training, and breaking if necessary from other birds. As we know, pigeons will club together but I believe one of the secrets to doing very well with all ages of pigeons is getting them think for themselves and, if necessary, breaking from the bunch as early as possible. Again, we are talking about leaders and not the kind of bird that just follows the pack.

When our club/Fed was getting ready to fly the birds across the channel, most of the members would still train their birds on a line as if they were coming from Plymouth or Exeter. I worked out that this direction was completely wrong so I started training our birds on a line from Poole in Dorset because I believed that our birds would come across the channel and hit the English coastline around the Isle of Wight area. Therefore it was pointless to train birds from Exeter or Plymouth because they wouldn't be going anywhere near those places.

They say the proof is in the pudding and the fact that we topped the Fed from Picauville and had two of only three birds clocked in race time proves that my theory and training was correct.

I hope this helps.

Phil
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.philongold.net
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
avatar

Posts : 5651
Join date : 2013-03-11

PostSubject: Re: training distance   Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:29 am

blueskylofts wrote:
oldstrain wrote:
how far do you train or how far do you think ybs need to be trained we usually go 25 mile but is it really necessary or would plenty of chucks at half the distance suffice ...what are members thoughts/views

When I raced before I was in partnership with my real partner - we are now married and are going to race as Mr & Mrs.

Anyway, YB training:-

In our first year, we won the club's Young Bird Trophy. We won every race bar 2 in the whole young bird calendar.

In our second year of racing young birds - we won Everything and every race, sometimes taking the first 4 places.

We topped the Fed in the Young Bird Championship race from Picauville.  There were ONLY three birds back in race time and we had Two of them.  We had our names and pictures on the front page of both of the pigeon comics!

We used to train twice a week by car (our car) and maybe once a week with the club for the first couple of weeks.  Starting off at 8 miles from the loft then working up to around 20 to 25 miles.  Then we did ALL our own training, week in and week out.  After than, when the race distances got a bit greater, we started training by car in early morning liberating around 09:30 or late afternoon around 18:00, gradually increasing the distances of the training tosses.

In our Fed most of the birds went directly up the River Severn towards Gloucester.  We had to get our birds to break early and not follow the birds up the Severn but to find their own lines.  The problem being, if our birds followed the rest up the Severn and then had to peel off to Stroud, they would be wasting time.

I don't believe in only training up to 20/25 miles.  I think it is important to train at much greater distances.  I also think that it is important where you liberate your birds on training tosses.

At the end of the day, there are only two types of pigeons, leaders and followers.  If you want to win and win again, your birds have to be leaders so they need to know as early as possible where they are going.  And that might not be in the direction that most of the birds are going.

I remember quite clearly that, sometimes, we would have two or three birds home minutes before anybody else in the club had birds, which to me means that they were leaders and therefore knew the fastest way home.

So, in a nutshell, I believe the following:-

1. Training up to and possibly beyond 60 miles from the loft gives you the edge, and

2. The direction that you train from is probably more important.

As for how many times a week, it really depends on the type of birds you have.  If you have a slower maturing type of bird, then you need to take things a bit easier.  I think two or three times in the car or with the club is perfectly OK, as long as they are flying well around the loft and disappearing several times during their training time.  I don't believe in flagging the birds unless they are particularly lazy.

Feeding is very important with young birds as they are not very motivated by their loft yet or the person who is looking after them, and of course by their very nature not so keen on the opposite sex until you get to the longer races.  You have to feed for the amount of exercise the birds are doing whether that is around the loft or on training tosses.  Too much corn will inhibit their desire to come into the loft, and not enough corn will stunt their growth, it is all a matter of balance.

Also, there is a question about what time of da to train.  I have trained from almost first light in the morning to when it is starting to get dusk at night.  I sincerely believe it is good to give your birds training flights at different times of the day.  What we need to try and do is to emulate the times of when we would expect them to be liberated in a race.

I find the whole subject of training - young birds in particular - very interesting.

However, there are big questions regarding training:-

1. Do you have the time?

2. Do you have the money to pay for the fuel?

3. Should you be training YOUR birds with other people's birds, for instance other club members' birds?

Again, I believe it is pretty essential to give your birds experience of flying, training, and breaking if necessary from other birds.  As we know, pigeons will club together but I believe one of the secrets to doing very well with all ages of pigeons is getting them think for themselves and, if necessary, breaking from the bunch as early as possible.  Again, we are talking about leaders and not the kind of bird that just follows the pack.

When our club/Fed was getting ready to fly the birds across the channel, most of the members would still train their birds on a line as if they were coming from Plymouth or Exeter.  I worked out that this direction was completely wrong so I started training our birds on a line from Poole in Dorset because I believed that our birds would come across the channel and hit the English coastline around the Isle of Wight area.  Therefore it was pointless to train birds from Exeter or Plymouth because they wouldn't be going anywhere near those places.

They say the proof is in the pudding and the fact that we topped the Fed from Picauville and had two of only three birds clocked in race time proves that my theory and training was correct.

I hope this helps.

Phil

Interesting post Smile Smile Dr Phil Wink Wink Thank's. Ones man's way one could say & a credit to you for your effort in posting it here. cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shippy
Hatchling
Hatchling


Posts : 756
Join date : 2012-02-25
Age : 68
Location : darlington

PostSubject: Re: training distance   Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:38 am


great read blue sky lofts Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
avatar

Posts : 10097
Join date : 2011-01-03

PostSubject: Re: training distance   Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:20 pm

good post that phil I to believe the channel birds hit the poole /Portland area in channel races unless their is a very strong east or west wind
Back to top Go down
View user profile
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
avatar

Posts : 29094
Join date : 2009-03-18
Location : Leeds

PostSubject: Re: training distance   Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:48 pm

oldstrain wrote:
tether that beast outside the loft Razz

you cant say that about my mrs Darren.................... affraid affraid lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
avatar

Posts : 29094
Join date : 2009-03-18
Location : Leeds

PostSubject: Re: training distance   Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:51 pm

yes, good post phil...some interesting points and info.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
avatar

Posts : 10097
Join date : 2011-01-03

PostSubject: Re: training distance   Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:41 pm

David wrote:
oldstrain wrote:
tether that beast outside the loft Razz

you cant say that about my mrs Darren.................... affraid affraid   lol! lol!

Razz lol! lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shippy
Hatchling
Hatchling


Posts : 756
Join date : 2012-02-25
Age : 68
Location : darlington

PostSubject: Re: training distance   Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:02 pm

David wrote:
oldstrain wrote:
tether that beast outside the loft Razz

you cant say that about my mrs Darren.................... affraid affraid   lol! lol!


pmsl Laughing Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
avatar

Posts : 29094
Join date : 2009-03-18
Location : Leeds

PostSubject: Re: training distance   Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:46 pm

do members still train their cocks if flying widowhood, once racing has started...?
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
avatar

Posts : 10097
Join date : 2011-01-03

PostSubject: Re: training distance   Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:01 pm

I have a friend who races widow cocks nowt else he never trains once season has started be interesting to hear the replies
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: training distance   

Back to top Go down
 
training distance
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» toilet training problems
» What do you think about clicker training
» puppy training pads.
» i tried a cesar training tip
» House Training (Potty Training) Your New Puppy

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Racing Pigeons,Show & Fancy Pigeons :: For Sale Section :: For Sale/Free.-
Jump to: