Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» RPRA Partnerships
Training points Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 3:26 am

» BHW Subscriptions
Training points Emptyby David Yesterday at 10:36 pm

» Weather today
Training points Emptyby George & Morgan Yesterday at 9:44 pm

» Good Morning
Training points Emptyby George & Morgan Yesterday at 9:42 pm

» King removes Patronage
Training points Emptyby David Thu May 09, 2024 8:46 pm

» escaped birds return
Training points Emptyby David Thu May 09, 2024 10:25 am

» Leeds & District Amalgamation
Training points Emptyby George & Morgan Mon May 06, 2024 4:58 pm

» York Road & District Results 2024
Training points Emptyby David Mon May 06, 2024 4:53 pm

» Scandalous .......
Training points Emptyby Knackered Sun May 05, 2024 7:31 am

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) Training points 20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 53 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 53 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.Training points Resise10
Top posting users this week
David
Training points Vote_lcapTraining points Voting_barTraining points Vote_rcap 
George & Morgan
barnie
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1297 registered users
The newest registered user is tharunjohar50

Our users have posted a total of 222780 messages in 14005 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
Training points Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
Training points Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

Training points

Go down 
+6
peel bros
Knackered
oldstrain
markevans
David
caramel
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
caramel
Chipping
Chipping
caramel

Training points Empty
PostSubject: Training points   Training points EmptyThu Apr 21, 2016 7:15 pm

I train my birds from what I think is the line of flight for racers coming into my area, based on prevailing wind and high ground.

These training points are not directly south or completely in line with the race points which vary from East to West obviously.

Any thoughts anyone ?
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

Training points Empty
PostSubject: Re: Training points   Training points EmptyThu Apr 21, 2016 7:31 pm

ive heard of fanciers training either side of the line of flight.......maybe someone can help more.
Back to top Go down
markevans
Youngbird
Youngbird
markevans

Training points Empty
PostSubject: Re: Training points   Training points EmptyThu Apr 21, 2016 7:54 pm

dont think it makes any differance whitch side of the line of flight you take pigeons flock together one won't brake from 50 or 100 others and come on his own birds that do simply get in front in a small group and are quicker and pull away when they reach the home end it looks like it came on its own but their is always a few on the same time
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

Training points Empty
PostSubject: Re: Training points   Training points EmptyThu Apr 21, 2016 9:52 pm

I agree with mark on this one
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

Training points Empty
PostSubject: Re: Training points   Training points EmptyFri Apr 22, 2016 12:43 am

oldstrain wrote:
I agree with mark on this one

To a point so do I O/S Smile Smile but then club/fed/combine/national & international type races throw up differant scenarios I suspect & one can only do what one suspects is the correct thing in their individual case/situation with their birds I believe. cheers
Back to top Go down
peel bros
Oldbird
Oldbird
peel bros

Training points Empty
PostSubject: Re: Training points   Training points EmptyFri Apr 22, 2016 7:03 am

Line of flight for us.we want the quickest way home
Back to top Go down
VanReet Man123
Youngbird
Youngbird
VanReet Man123

Training points Empty
PostSubject: Re: Training points   Training points EmptyFri Apr 22, 2016 7:26 am

We use the same 12,mile spot which is bang on the line of flight for us.
Back to top Go down
blueskylofts
Youngbird
Youngbird
blueskylofts

Training points Empty
PostSubject: Re: Training points   Training points EmptyFri Apr 22, 2016 7:46 am

markevans wrote:
dont think it makes any differance whitch side of the line of flight you take pigeons flock together one won't brake from 50 or 100 others and come on his own birds that do simply get in front in a small group and are quicker and pull away when they reach the home end it looks like it came on its own but their is always a few on the same time

Sorry Mark, I don't agree with you on this one.

Ask Geoff Cooper of Bath about birds breaking away from the other pigeons. Somehow Geoff got his bids to break very early after liberation, in order to get his birds to fly a more 'Direct route' from places quite far down France. He did not want his birds to be taken a long way up the French coast line, then cross the water heading for the London area. He needed to get his birds to Break Away from the flock and head directly for his loft in Bath - South West England even with a Westerly wind.

As I have said before - there are ONLY two types of pigeons - Leaders and followers and we need to get our birds to be LEADERS. In this way they will:-

1. Find their OWN way home and not follow the bunch.

2. Not be influenced by other birds - because they are out in front and not looking backwards.

I am sure there will be lots of people that will disagree with me, but that doesn't mean I am wrong. I know what I say is true, because I have proven it time and time again with my own birds and other fanciers pigeons.

Let's keep talking.

Phil

Back to top Go down
http://www.philongold.net
blueskylofts
Youngbird
Youngbird
blueskylofts

Training points Empty
PostSubject: Re: Training points   Training points EmptyFri Apr 22, 2016 7:54 am

caramel wrote:
I train my birds from what I think is the line of flight for racers coming into my area, based on prevailing wind and high ground.

These training points are not directly south or completely in line with the race points which vary from East to West obviously.

Any thoughts anyone ?

What you could do, is to draw a direct line from liberation point, to you loft. Then if you know the way the birds you are racing against, normally fly, draw out another line. Then take into consideration, the prevailing wind direction and put that into the equation. Do your birds need to break away from the pack somewhere along the route, or just be in front, to enable you to win?

If your birds need to break from the route the others will fly, then you need to train your birds from the area where they need to Break!

I hope this helps

Phil (blueskylofts)
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

Training points Empty
PostSubject: Re: Training points   Training points EmptyFri Apr 22, 2016 8:28 am

ive heard something similar to that phil/bluesky....draw a line from where you want them to break and train from there.....never tried it but  one year I only trained ybs from 12 - 15 miles every day, and they came pretty good in racing.
Back to top Go down
peel bros
Oldbird
Oldbird
peel bros

Training points Empty
PostSubject: Re: Training points   Training points EmptyFri Apr 22, 2016 8:33 am

[quote="blueskylofts"]
markevans wrote:
dont think it makes any differance whitch side of the line of flight you take pigeons flock together one won't brake from 50 or 100 others and come on his own birds that do simply get in front in a small group and are quicker and pull away when they reach the home end it looks like it came on its own but their is always a few

Sorry Mark, I don't agree with you on this one.

Ask Geoff Cooper of Bath about birds breaking away from the other pigeons.  Somehow Geoff got his bids to break very early after liberation, in order to get his birds to fly a more 'Direct route' from places quite far down France.  He did not want his birds to be taken a long way up the French coast line, then cross the water heading for the London area.  He needed to get his birds to Break Away from the flock and head directly for his loft in Bath - South West England even with a Westerly wind.

As I have said before - there are ONLY two types of pigeons - Leaders and followers and we need to get our birds to be LEADERS.  In this way they will:-

1.  Find their OWN way home and not follow the bunch.

2. Not be influenced by other birds - because they are out in front and not looking backwards.

I am sure there will be lots of people that will disagree with me, but that doesn't mean I am wrong.  I know what I say is true, because I have proven it time and time again with my own birds and other fanciers pigeons.

Let's keep talking.

Phil

I agree with this
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

Training points Empty
PostSubject: Re: Training points   Training points EmptyFri Apr 22, 2016 8:34 am

we do train on the line of flight but how often do the birds arrive on it of course you have to train on a line but once they been their a few times I think you could train from any-point for fitness ...some guys at our club send birds north and south racing atb
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

Training points Empty
PostSubject: Re: Training points   Training points EmptyFri Apr 22, 2016 8:40 am

strange isn't it, I try to train on the line of flight, but most times they come the opposite direction from the back of the loft....... Razz Razz
Back to top Go down
shippy
Hatchling
Hatchling

Training points Empty
PostSubject: Re: Training points   Training points EmptyFri Apr 22, 2016 9:29 am

markevans wrote:

agree mark where there is one there is another Wink
Back to top Go down
shippy
Hatchling
Hatchling

Training points Empty
PostSubject: Re: Training points   Training points EmptyFri Apr 22, 2016 9:32 am

a lad who used to be in our club could only train from the n/east of his loft due to work commitments did not stop him being top flyer Wink
Back to top Go down
blueskylofts
Youngbird
Youngbird
blueskylofts

Training points Empty
PostSubject: Re: Training points   Training points EmptyFri Apr 22, 2016 9:32 am

David wrote:
strange isn't it, I try to train on the line of flight, but most times they come the opposite direction from the back of the loft....... Razz Razz

OK - this is a very good point.

Ask yourself WHY - do they come from a direction you didn't expect them to come from?

1. Are they being 'Dragged' by other birds?

2. Is the wind taking then off course?

Why not try training them from a bit further away on the line you think they should come from. Get them to recognise where they are, earlier and therefore get them to take a better (more direct) route.

Phil
Back to top Go down
markevans
Youngbird
Youngbird
markevans

Training points Empty
PostSubject: Re: Training points   Training points EmptyFri Apr 22, 2016 8:48 pm

thinking about this when you say the line of flight and train from 20 miles or less or more the birds get to no the quickest way home but when the race programe moves down the country and to the east or west the birds get a differant line so does it realy matter were you train from but i will still train the birds to the easyest point for me to get to
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

Training points Empty
PostSubject: Re: Training points   Training points EmptySat Apr 23, 2016 2:43 am

markevans wrote:
thinking about this when you say the line of flight and train from 20 miles or less or more the birds get to no the quickest way home but when the race programe moves down the country and to the east or west the birds get a differant line so does it realy matter were you train from but i will still train the birds to the easyest point for me to get to

Fair play Mark Smile Smile  "easiest point etc" I do the exact same thing here & I know good pigeons will find the best/quickest way home, no matter where one may toss them. cheers
Back to top Go down
peel bros
Oldbird
Oldbird
peel bros

Training points Empty
PostSubject: Re: Training points   Training points EmptySat Apr 23, 2016 3:01 am

Some good answers there but I think races are won from liberation points any way so does it really matter.I suppose we train light of flight cause it's easier for is. Plus when we train in our car we go about 20 odd miles in the hope they recognise that area so well they might put that extra bit of speed effort whatever into it.I don't really know but we all do it differently hoping we do it the best way
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

Training points Empty
PostSubject: Re: Training points   Training points EmptySat Apr 23, 2016 3:22 am

peel bros wrote:
Some good answers there but I think races are won from liberation points any way so does it really matter.I suppose we train light of flight cause it's easier for is. Plus when we train in our car we go about 20 odd miles in the hope they recognise that area so well they might put that extra bit of speed effort whatever into it.I don't really know but we all do it differently hoping we do it the best way

No issues from my point of view Ray Smile Smile it's a man thing lol! lol! Wink Wink how & what we do etc. Take your situation as an example & compare it to some one like John Rumney etc who lives in your general area, but attacks the tossing issue in a far differant way to you & your brother there, because he has set his sites on a differant style of racing for what I know. At the end of the day both ways can lead to success & that just tells me, one must do what one's thinks is best for themselves, at any given time. cheers
Back to top Go down
peel bros
Oldbird
Oldbird
peel bros

Training points Empty
PostSubject: Re: Training points   Training points EmptySat Apr 23, 2016 3:29 am

Totally agree with that.it's what suits
Back to top Go down
Ginger
Youngbird
Youngbird
Ginger

Training points Empty
PostSubject: Re: Training points   Training points EmptySat Apr 23, 2016 9:06 am

Dont agree with all this but you train what suits you, if you want any advice or what to do, I give one peace to think about when you start training you all ave mates down/up the road take your birds to him ask him to liberate your birds when he lets his birds out your birds will learn to break for birds from any where you must take it in turns one you take your birds to them the next time they bring their birds to you which ever way you go you both get the same training out of it,the way Im saying is you take birds to them and you take their birds back the next time they bring to you and they take yours back.
Back to top Go down
blueskylofts
Youngbird
Youngbird
blueskylofts

Training points Empty
PostSubject: Re: Training points   Training points EmptySat Apr 23, 2016 9:29 am

Ginger wrote:
Dont agree with all this but you train what suits you, if you want any advice or what to do, I give one peace to think about when you start training you all ave mates down/up the road take your birds to him ask him to liberate your birds when he lets his birds out your birds will learn to break for birds from any where you must take it in turns one you take your birds to them the next time they bring their birds to you which ever way you go you both get the same training out of it,the way Im saying is you take birds to them and you take their birds back the next time they bring to you and they take yours back.

I like that idea very much.

I will try it.

Thanks

Phil (blueskylofts)
Back to top Go down
peel bros
Oldbird
Oldbird
peel bros

Training points Empty
PostSubject: Re: Training points   Training points EmptySat Apr 23, 2016 9:33 am

I understand what your getting at but has this worked for you have you had great success with this..its like those who say train long distances does that make a difference. We have tried both long as short and short distance work better for us.another argument is twice we train accidentally in really bad weather and I mean bad one was thick fog the other thunderstorms. Anyway the season after these birds became our best .but to be honest we would have never trained in these circumstances. So with these being our best two season doing this I should only train in bad weather.I think not to be honest.again it's each to their own
Back to top Go down
blueskylofts
Youngbird
Youngbird
blueskylofts

Training points Empty
PostSubject: Re: Training points   Training points EmptySat Apr 23, 2016 9:44 am

peel bros wrote:
I understand what your getting at but has this worked for you have you had great success with this..its like those who say train long distances does that make a difference. We have tried both long as short and short distance work better for us.another argument is twice we train accidentally in really bad weather and I mean bad one was thick fog the other thunderstorms. Anyway the season after these birds became our best .but to be honest we would have never trained in these circumstances. So with these being our best two season doing this I should only train in bad weather.I think not to be honest.again it's each to their own

I think you have hit the nail on the head!

DO WHAT YOU THINK IS THE BEST FOR YOUR BIRDS!

I have noticed - if you ask 10 pigeon people a question - you will get at least 7 different answers.

On a personal note - are you racing today? If so from where and how far.

atb
Phil
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Training points Empty
PostSubject: Re: Training points   Training points Empty

Back to top Go down

Training points
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next