Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» Good Morning
Young Birds damaging themselves! Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 10:21 am

» Weather today
Young Birds damaging themselves! Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 8:51 am

» sorting birds out
Young Birds damaging themselves! Emptyby David Yesterday at 11:33 am

» new rules from Defra
Young Birds damaging themselves! Emptyby David Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:30 pm

» RPRA Auction ........
Young Birds damaging themselves! Emptyby David Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:40 pm

» overnight and multiple nights basket
Young Birds damaging themselves! Emptyby Knackered Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:21 pm

» Loft Location
Young Birds damaging themselves! Emptyby David Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:43 pm

» RPRA , WHAT DO THEY DO ?
Young Birds damaging themselves! Emptyby David Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:43 am

» RPRA Auction
Young Birds damaging themselves! Emptyby David Sun Mar 17, 2024 2:04 pm

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) Young Birds damaging themselves! 20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 86 users online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 85 Guests :: 2 Bots

George & Morgan

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.Young Birds damaging themselves! Resise10
Top posting users this week
George & Morgan
Young Birds damaging themselves! Vote_lcapYoung Birds damaging themselves! Voting_barYoung Birds damaging themselves! Vote_rcap 
David
Young Birds damaging themselves! Vote_lcapYoung Birds damaging themselves! Voting_barYoung Birds damaging themselves! Vote_rcap 
Knackered
oldstrain
barnie
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1293 registered users
The newest registered user is Meddy78

Our users have posted a total of 221952 messages in 13972 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
Young Birds damaging themselves! Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
Young Birds damaging themselves! Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

Young Birds damaging themselves!

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
blueskylofts
Youngbird
Youngbird
blueskylofts

Young Birds damaging themselves! Empty
PostSubject: Young Birds damaging themselves!   Young Birds damaging themselves! EmptyFri Aug 05, 2016 11:00 am

My young bird loft is a two sections loft. I have the more mature y/bs in one side and the later ones in the other side.

The mature ones are flying out really well twice and day - or training by car, one part of the day and exercising around the loft the other part of the day.

BUT every time I let them out of the loft, I am worried that one will hit the central upright between the two sliding outer doors. I have already had a couple of close shaves, where a bird has slightly touched the centre dividing upright.

Has anyone else had this problem - or does anyone know what I can do, to safeguard my birds from really injuring themselves?

I have painted the centre dividing strut with white paint, to make it stand out, but I don't think that is making any difference.

Phil

Back to top Go down
http://www.philongold.net
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

PostSubject: Re: Young Birds damaging themselves!   Young Birds damaging themselves! EmptyFri Aug 05, 2016 11:53 am

I let mine out through the trap my bolting wires are removable I use those small white blocks used in pre packed kitchen unit furniture and the rod of the bolting wires sits in them each end where the pre piloted screw hole is the additional pre piloted holes in the blocks allow you to set the blocks at whatever height you want ...its just the right size for the support bar for the bolting wires to sit in rigid inside the block for trapping but enough room to remove for exiting the loft ...I remember a picture of your loft you had a trap on the side with bolting wires ...just a thought simple but it works
Back to top Go down
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

PostSubject: Re: Young Birds damaging themselves!   Young Birds damaging themselves! EmptyFri Aug 05, 2016 1:24 pm

blueskylofts wrote:
My young bird loft is a two sections loft.  I have the more mature y/bs in one side and the later ones in the other side.

The mature ones are flying out really well twice and day - or training by car, one part of the day and exercising around the loft the other part of the day.

BUT every time I let them out of the loft, I am worried that one will hit the central upright between the two sliding outer doors.  I have already had a couple of close shaves, where a bird has slightly touched the centre dividing upright.

Has anyone else had this problem - or does anyone know what I can do, to safeguard my birds from really injuring themselves?

I have painted the centre dividing strut with white paint, to make it stand out, but  I don't think that is making any difference.

Phil

Phil put a small shelf up on the inside of the loft so the youngsters can land on it before they exit the loft/trap
Back to top Go down
blueskylofts
Youngbird
Youngbird
blueskylofts

PostSubject: Re: Young Birds damaging themselves!   Young Birds damaging themselves! EmptyFri Aug 05, 2016 5:24 pm

oldstrain wrote:
I let mine out through the trap my bolting wires are removable I use those small white blocks used in pre packed kitchen unit furniture and the rod of the bolting wires sits in them each end where the pre piloted screw hole is the additional pre piloted holes in the blocks allow you to set the blocks at whatever height you want  ...its just the right size for the support bar for the bolting wires to sit in rigid inside the block for trapping but enough room to remove for exiting the loft ...I remember a picture of your loft you had a trap on the side with bolting wires ...just a thought simple but it works

Is there any chance you could send me a picture of what you speak about please Darren.
Cheers
Phil
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

PostSubject: Re: Young Birds damaging themselves!   Young Birds damaging themselves! EmptyFri Aug 05, 2016 5:54 pm

blueskylofts wrote:
oldstrain wrote:
I let mine out through the trap my bolting wires are removable I use those small white blocks used in pre packed kitchen unit furniture and the rod of the bolting wires sits in them each end where the pre piloted screw hole is the additional pre piloted holes in the blocks allow you to set the blocks at whatever height you want  ...its just the right size for the support bar for the bolting wires to sit in rigid inside the block for trapping but enough room to remove for exiting the loft ...I remember a picture of your loft you had a trap on the side with bolting wires ...just a thought simple but it works

Is there any chance you could send me a picture of what you speak about please Darren.
Cheers
Phil

I would not know where to start phil I am useless with the pc sorry but the white blocks are used to hold 2 pieces of timber together within wall units/kitchen units do you know the type I mean
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: Young Birds damaging themselves!   Young Birds damaging themselves! EmptyFri Aug 05, 2016 6:46 pm

Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

PostSubject: Re: Young Birds damaging themselves!   Young Birds damaging themselves! EmptyFri Aug 05, 2016 6:55 pm

yes that's them david cheers just insert each end of support rod for bolting wires into blocks then screw blocks at appropriate height and fannys yer aunt ...just pop rod in and out of trap area when required theirs enough flex in the rod to do this ...you may come up with a better idea but in principle you want to be able to remove and put back bolting wires and this works for me
Back to top Go down
blueskylofts
Youngbird
Youngbird
blueskylofts

PostSubject: Young Birds damaging themselves!   Young Birds damaging themselves! EmptySat Aug 06, 2016 3:09 pm

MANY thanks to all that contributed to my dilemma regarding my y/bs possibly damaging themselves when leaving the loft.

I have taken advice from you all and this is what I have come up with.  See images below:-

First image shows my loft front with both outer sliding doors open.

Young Birds damaging themselves! New_tr10

I was opening both outer doors, then opening the inner door on the left (as you look at the picture above) and the birds would come flying out.  Sometimes getting VERY close to the centre upright between the two outer doors.

Now I have made some modifications.

Below is a picture of the inside of the Left hand door as you look at the loft - the one with the Sputnik on it.  You can clearly see the bob wires.  Now below the row of bob wires, you can see a slot that runs parallel to the bottom of the bob wires.

Young Birds damaging themselves! New_tr11

I have made a small landing board that goes into this slot, so the birds can land on it, BEFORE going out.

Young Birds damaging themselves! New_tr12

You can also see that I have made something to keep the bob wires up out of the way.  Maybe not quite as good as one member suggested, but it works.

Also to stop me opening the outer door when the bob wires are in the UP position (Like I did once before, braking every single wire) I have made a simple key that goes through the centre dividing post and into the sliding door.  This STOPS the door from opening.  You can see the key at the bottom left of the last image, it looks like a short silver thing, stuck in the door divide.

I trust this will do for now - I just have to teach the birds to go out of the loft by this new means.  I will also make the inner landing board a bit bigger, when I can get some more wood.

Thanks again you lot!

Have a great weekend.
Phil
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

PostSubject: Re: Young Birds damaging themselves!   Young Birds damaging themselves! EmptySat Aug 06, 2016 5:10 pm

good job phil Smile
Back to top Go down
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

PostSubject: Re: Young Birds damaging themselves!   Young Birds damaging themselves! EmptySun Aug 07, 2016 6:00 pm

That's is spot on Phil

Just make the inner landing board bigger apart from that all good mate
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

PostSubject: Re: Young Birds damaging themselves!   Young Birds damaging themselves! EmptyMon Aug 08, 2016 6:02 am

oldstrain wrote:
good job phil Smile

True !!!. Phil should be quite pleased with his effort there O/S Smile Smile I suspect thou Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Ray & I lol! lol! lol! might just have some concerns about his landing pad size etc Wink Wink. cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Young Birds damaging themselves!   Young Birds damaging themselves! Empty

Back to top Go down

Young Birds damaging themselves!
Page 1 of 1