Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» Good Morning
Eyesign....by Jack Barkel. Emptyby David Yesterday at 10:41 pm

» Weather today
Eyesign....by Jack Barkel. Emptyby David Yesterday at 5:31 pm

» Leeds & District Amalgamation
Eyesign....by Jack Barkel. Emptyby George & Morgan Yesterday at 4:58 pm

» York Road & District Results 2024
Eyesign....by Jack Barkel. Emptyby David Yesterday at 4:53 pm

» SEO Company in Chennai
Eyesign....by Jack Barkel. Emptyby tharunjohar50 Yesterday at 11:37 am

» escaped birds return
Eyesign....by Jack Barkel. Emptyby Knackered Sun May 05, 2024 10:42 am

» Scandalous .......
Eyesign....by Jack Barkel. Emptyby Knackered Sun May 05, 2024 7:31 am

» yb national winner
Eyesign....by Jack Barkel. Emptyby George & Morgan Sat May 04, 2024 9:30 am

» good luck weekend
Eyesign....by Jack Barkel. Emptyby Knackered Thu May 02, 2024 9:16 am

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) Eyesign....by Jack Barkel. 20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 94 users online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 93 Guests :: 1 Bot

George & Morgan

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.Eyesign....by Jack Barkel. Resise10
Top posting users this week
David
Eyesign....by Jack Barkel. Vote_lcapEyesign....by Jack Barkel. Voting_barEyesign....by Jack Barkel. Vote_rcap 
George & Morgan
Eyesign....by Jack Barkel. Vote_lcapEyesign....by Jack Barkel. Voting_barEyesign....by Jack Barkel. Vote_rcap 
tharunjohar50
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1297 registered users
The newest registered user is tharunjohar50

Our users have posted a total of 222730 messages in 14003 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
Eyesign....by Jack Barkel. Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
Eyesign....by Jack Barkel. Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

Eyesign....by Jack Barkel.

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Eyesign....by Jack Barkel. Empty
PostSubject: Eyesign....by Jack Barkel.   Eyesign....by Jack Barkel. EmptyMon Jun 08, 2009 9:33 pm

This article is written by Jack Barkel....hope our members enjoy reading it. Very Happy

To interested parties on this forum who would like to share in my theories on eye sign or signs in the eye.

I feel I must start at the beginning with how I observe the eye as well as some other physical characteristics that go to make up the recognition of how one can tell from the eye in which direction a racing pigeon is evolving or regressing.

To me this is the main reason for eye sign, to increase the quality and amount of the correct genes in the gene pool of anyone�s stock loft.

I refer to it as genetic drift, and as far as I am aware, I am the first to lay down a concrete pattern, that we can all use as a formula for poor, medium and good eyes that will direct us on a course over a period of 3 to 5 years that will, formulate for us a stock loft of pigeons bristling with the genes we are looking for.

Remember that the racing pigeon was developed by man, and he used several types of fancy pigeons to add to the long distance homer, to give buoyancy and speed to the Dragoon and English Carrier, to name two of the originals.

Nature is continually fighting to restore these hybrids to one or other of these strains, and that is where the variables keep popping up.

I intend in future postings, to show these variables by photographic examples, which will steer all in a much more successful direction of breeding top racing pigeons.

My theory is not a fallacy, for I have proven it in different parts of the world, and although I ceased competing in 1997, my pigeons are still breeding class pigeons for others until this day.

I will start compiling my future articles this weekend, please have patience.

Jack Barkel

Last edited by Admin on Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://pigeons.forumotion.com
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Eyesign....by Jack Barkel.   Eyesign....by Jack Barkel. EmptyMon Jun 08, 2009 9:56 pm

Article 1.

We will start with the eyes of those pigeons who's eyes show a definite regression towards the fancy pigeons that was introduced to the Homing Pigeon to increase buoyancy and speed. Please remember that these eyes in this first example will have little homing ability, but in most cases will be light and have speed. Most birds with these eye markings may win races but will eventually get lost.

If introduced to the stock loft, because somewhere deep down in the gene pool there may lurk the gene of a good pigeon, it will be possible for this type of bird to produce a good pigeon. It must be realised that it's mate may also be the reason for a good one popping out, for it needs four good eyes to breed the higher percentages of good pigeons we are looking for. The statistics however tells us that the rate will be in the region of 7% that is to say 93 out of one hundred will be unacceptable for our stock lofts.

Many people acquire a winning team and maintain it for a few years, however in most cases the deterioration/regression sets in, and there is a headlong decline to mediocrity and sometimes even worse.

I must tell you that other regressions can be found in the increase in distance of the humerus bone from the body, and the step in the wing from the secondary flights to the first primary. Length and depth of keel bone is another variable we must endeavour to control. These variables are easily controlled by selection, but the eye is the most sensitive and intricate of all these pointers towards the near perfect racing pigeon.

It must also be observed that a good racing person can win the shorter races with a pet shop pigeon, when his club members are lacking in this department. These and many more pointers go to razing doubts of the credibility of signs in the eye.

Please notice that the irises of these eyes are very thin and in some places none existent. They come in both the yellow and the pearl eye, but mainly in the pearl. Most have a good racing sign which is the composite on the adaptation, which means they could be on the front of the pack on a short to middle distance blow home race. The correlations are also very wide, which increases the doubt of the bird competing at any great distance.

These variable in the eye are what I refer to as genetic drift, and believe me it is a scientific fact, although doubted by some.

Should any of you not be in possession of the names and positioning of the different eye circles, I can put them up on this site again. Just state you would like this before we progress any further and I will gladly put this material on.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Eyesign....by Jack Barkel.   Eyesign....by Jack Barkel. EmptyTue Jun 09, 2009 9:39 pm

Article 2.

In article 1. we discussed the eyes that genetically drifted towards the fancy pigeons such as the Smerle, Cumulet, etc that was added to the homer to give buoyancy and speed.

We now show the eye that has degenerated back to the pigeon with plenty stamina and homing ability but no speed. These are very strong pigeons that look like record breakers. However to understand what I have discussed and portrayed with photographs up until now, will prove to you that these birds lack speed and vitality.

Neither the birds in the photo's in article one or these birds in article two would ever get near a stock loft if I had my way. They are too full, blotting out the correlation and in many cases the fifth circle also. Most of these can home at 600 miles easily, but not on the day unless helped by a tail wind.

To use either of these types, fills your gene pool with pigeons that will in most cases keep one at the bottom of the race sheet. Again because there are some good genes floating in most gene pools, now and again one pops up that will cause you to doubt what I say here. I am prepared to stake my reputation on it that what I have suggested here is correct. To breed a large percentage of good pigeons consistently, this is the way to go.

I attach this collage of full eyes that I reject also for the stock loft.

Article 3. will be to show the near perfect eyes that we all must be on the look out for to introduce into the stock loft.

Regards
jackbarkel@mweb.co.za
http://mysite.mweb.co.za/residents/jackbarkel/
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Eyesign....by Jack Barkel.   Eyesign....by Jack Barkel. EmptyTue Jun 09, 2009 9:40 pm

Article 3.

We have now covered most of the basics of the eye, as I myself see them. I put on these two collages to show the eyes of some of my stock pigeons.

Please do not forget that I also look for body confirmation and wing feather. All of these aspects are tools for us to use to breed a larger percentage of the desired type of bird we must keep.

As I have said before, the gene pool is very complex. To master it entirely has not been achieved as yet by the best biologists and scientists in the world. I believe I have mastered the art of what is available to us at this day and age, up to a point where 90% of the time the genetics do not disappoint me or send me back to the drawing board. The continuous haphazard breeding of Racing Pigeons will always present many gene pools that are a conglomeration of many facets. I have tried by selective breeding to narrow this down to a point where I can more or less know what to expect from my pairings, for not only do we need "My Choice" birds, their pairings must be of a compatible nature. Besides having good stock birds we need to learn how to combine the genes of each pairing to give us an improvement in the gene pool.

I believe there will always be genetic drift to one or other of these strains of pigeons, we will continue to have mutations for better or worse.To understand a little of my methods which I have put forward will help those greatly who are prepared to give it a thought and dare to try it for themselves.

This is not the end of my articles here, in fact it is just the beginning. I hope you have enjoyed the start to what has been my life's study of the Racing Pigeon.

Regards
jackbarkel@mweb.co.za
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Eyesign....by Jack Barkel.   Eyesign....by Jack Barkel. EmptyTue Jun 09, 2009 9:42 pm

Article 4.

I now present a collage of three eyes, of three separate wild pigeons. The reason for this is to show that in pigeons untouched by humans, there is little or no genetic drift.
The eyes may seem to be of one bird, but on closer scrutiny there can be seen slight differences in these eyes.

Each eye shows a similar amount of correlation, which tells us that these birds although possessing speed are limited to a short distance. This can be perceived by these eyes showing a very wide correlation, which causes the iris to recede outwards towards the perimeter of the eye.

They all have nearly the same amount of superimposed composite between six and seven-o-clock, showing the family is inbred having very little variation in quality.
This should convince the believers and sceptics alike, that the variation in eyes from the Bush Dove to the Racing Pigeon shows remarkable contrast. The main feature being that there are no pearl eyes (recessive) among the wild pigeons.

There only similarities are to the pigeons that some people breed for speed and short distance. I believe this should be a warning that breeding for speed without a real understanding of what I am trying to reveal in each of my articles, can lead to a regression that can destroy or take years to rectify.

Regards
jackbarkel@mweb.co.za
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Eyesign....by Jack Barkel.   Eyesign....by Jack Barkel. EmptyTue Jun 09, 2009 9:43 pm

Article 5.

During this new thread which the Administrator has allowed us, there have been a couple of mentions about the Star Clusters in the eye.
I have my own theory on how they are formed, and have never seen or heard of anyone giving an explanation of why it appears in the pupil of the eye. Let me say I hold much store in this sign, and it is the only time I allow the genetic drift of the iris to go over the limits of my normal acceptance. I must say when I make such an allowance; I only keep those that improve on the five circles to that of their Star Cluster parent.

If we return once again to the separate segments of the eye as I have depicted them on this thread, we will see that the correlation, starts at the outer edge of the pupil and extends to the outer perimeter of the eye.
We know this correlation to be similar to a pigmented gel, for if it is damaged with a sharp instrument, it will all run out and the eye will be of no more use to the pigeon. Now I believe that this correlation / gel come in different thicknesses. My theory is that when we place the adaptation and Iris on this correlation it causes displacement. The adaptation pushes the excess towards the outer perimeter of the eye, after going under the iris it tries to go over the top, but the iris acts like a dam wall and the excess correlation or base material recedes back towards the centre of the eye.

The excess gel then drops into the pupil of the eye and remains there for everyone to view. However there are some that can be seen as floaters in the pupil. They often move around until they come in contact with the inner edge of the correlation and join up there, to be lost from view forever.

Please remember that this is only my theory, and until it has been proven scientifically I will consider it as the true and the only explanation written about it up till the present time 21st February 2008.

I will put photographic examples up, but have ordered a very expensive close up lens to record this particular aspect of the eye. The example I use will be photo�s taken with my old equipment until the new lens arrives.

I enclose a photograph here of the pupil of a star cluster eye. This hen bred two winners and a son to breed six winners.

I can assure all that it does not seem to affect the vision of the eye.

Once again, I will try to answer all questions to the best of my ability.

Regards
jackbarkel@mweb.co.za
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Eyesign....by Jack Barkel.   Eyesign....by Jack Barkel. EmptyTue Jun 09, 2009 9:44 pm

Article 5. Continued.

All who are following this must now agree that the correlation is obviously the base circle. If we can agree on this, then maybe we can agree that some base circles are thicker or deeper than others. Then my theory of how the clusters come to be in the pupil of the eye is more easily to accept.

If we agree that any base or foundation must be as strong as possible, then we can understand that the star cluster reveals a very strong genetic foundation in the eye. As I said previously many star clusters move to the outer edge of the pupil and merge with the inner edge of the correlation, which tells us that some birds with no visible star cluster may also have a very strong foundation.

Be this as it may we can assume that all star clusters come from a family or part of a family with a strong foundation. I have many star clusters in my loft, but have found that if there is a very strong composite on the adaptation, then it seems to prevent the excess moving underneath the adaptation and dropping into the pupil.

I believe I breed more star clusters than most, because of this realisation, leaving out any heavy composite or extra large adaptation when pairing to breed this characteristic in the eye.

It has been said many times about eye sign people that they have selected a bird, and made a statement that it will never breed anything, and consequently the bird has produced some good quality pigeons. Because of this fact many have condemned eye sign people. I believe that those for and against on this account are making a gross mistake, for neither the critic or the evaluator have taken one moment to stop, think, and realise that there are two pigeons that go towards the equation of making another pigeon. This being the case the genes of one of the pair could be producing the goods and the other not supplying any good genes at all. We will always have these conflicting concepts of how to breed good pigeons in greater quantities as long as fanciers are prepared to make bold statements that one or the other method is just an unproven theory, without really applying any background intelligence to their statements. I myself have been subject of unfair criticism, and even now these stupid remarks such as, � It only takes two eyes to fly�, are becoming regular quotes amongst the lesser informed public. Be that as it may I will continue to defend what I deem to be true in this regard.
It takes four eyes to share in the breeding of a champion, plus several other just as important requisites.

I enclose a collage of some star cluster eyes for those who are interested.

I will continue to answer questions on this subject to the best of my ability.

Regards
jackbarkel@mweb.co.za
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Eyesign....by Jack Barkel.   Eyesign....by Jack Barkel. Empty

Back to top Go down

Eyesign....by Jack Barkel.
Page 1 of 1