Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» Weather today
Our New Racing Loft Emptyby barnie Yesterday at 7:58 pm

» new hen for speed
Our New Racing Loft Emptyby George & Morgan Yesterday at 6:51 pm

» Good Morning
Our New Racing Loft Emptyby George & Morgan Yesterday at 10:21 am

» sorting birds out
Our New Racing Loft Emptyby David Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:33 am

» new rules from Defra
Our New Racing Loft Emptyby David Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:30 pm

» RPRA Auction ........
Our New Racing Loft Emptyby David Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:40 pm

» overnight and multiple nights basket
Our New Racing Loft Emptyby Knackered Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:21 pm

» Loft Location
Our New Racing Loft Emptyby David Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:43 pm

» RPRA , WHAT DO THEY DO ?
Our New Racing Loft Emptyby David Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:43 am

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) Our New Racing Loft 20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 106 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 106 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.Our New Racing Loft Resise10
Top posting users this week
George & Morgan
Our New Racing Loft Vote_lcapOur New Racing Loft Voting_barOur New Racing Loft Vote_rcap 
David
Our New Racing Loft Vote_lcapOur New Racing Loft Voting_barOur New Racing Loft Vote_rcap 
oldstrain
barnie
Knackered
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1293 registered users
The newest registered user is Meddy78

Our users have posted a total of 221961 messages in 13973 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
Our New Racing Loft Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
Our New Racing Loft Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

Our New Racing Loft

Go down 
+2
oldstrain
blueskylofts
6 posters
AuthorMessage
blueskylofts
Youngbird
Youngbird
blueskylofts

Our New Racing Loft Empty
PostSubject: Our New Racing Loft   Our New Racing Loft EmptyThu Oct 13, 2016 12:05 pm

As you might know - Now we are going to be in frogland for next year's racing season - so we need a Racing Loft.

We have LOTS of room but where we want to put the new loft was a bit overgrown, to say the least.  I have some photographs of where we want the new loft to be when it was all overgrown but unfortunately they are trapped in our iPad because of the problems I told you about before.

We also have a very nice Nikon camera which isn't quite as easy to use as an iPad or iPhone but at least I can download the images to the computer relatively quickly and easily.

We have been working quite hard on getting the loft base and stones all level and the image below shows how far we have got.

Our New Racing Loft New_ra10

The loft will be 4 metres wide by 3 metres deep - or 13 foot wide by 9 foot 9 inches deep.  With a 3 foot wide corridor along the front, with two sections.

More about the new loft as time goes by.

Phil
Back to top Go down
http://www.philongold.net
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

PostSubject: Re: Our New Racing Loft   Our New Racing Loft EmptyThu Oct 13, 2016 12:13 pm

a good start phil ...put damp proof course membrane on top of blocks or timber before floor goes down ,all the very best with your project and racing to it Smile
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: Our New Racing Loft   Our New Racing Loft EmptyThu Oct 13, 2016 12:24 pm

looking good phil, a nice solid base.......will be interesting to see how the build developes over the next few weeks.
Back to top Go down
barnie
Youngbird
Youngbird
barnie

PostSubject: Re: Our New Racing Loft   Our New Racing Loft EmptyThu Oct 13, 2016 1:11 pm

Good start, but before you put the loft up I'd make sure its high enough to get terriers under if you have to
Back to top Go down
blueskylofts
Youngbird
Youngbird
blueskylofts

PostSubject: Re: Our New Racing Loft   Our New Racing Loft EmptyThu Oct 13, 2016 1:20 pm

oldstrain wrote:
a good start phil ...put damp proof course membrane on top of blocks or timber before floor goes down ,all the very best with your project and racing to it Smile
Darren - why do you recommend a damp proof layer?  And would something like Visquene do as that is the only type of damp proofing that we have here?

My wife is coming to the UK tomorrow just for a week.  If we really needed something in the way of damp course, maybe she can get it from T & P in Stroud.

Phil
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: Our New Racing Loft   Our New Racing Loft EmptyThu Oct 13, 2016 2:18 pm

phil, I think Darren means to put a damp proof just under the joists where they rest on the blocks....which will prevent possible damp in future, no ones saying it would get damp, but prevention at this stage is easy, and its better than cure once the loft is up......I have never bothered, but that's me just rushing to get it built lol!

will you be making the back, sides, front etc in sections, then fixing them together or building a frame and adding the boards/planks onto the frame...?
Back to top Go down
blueskylofts
Youngbird
Youngbird
blueskylofts

PostSubject: Re: Our New Racing Loft   Our New Racing Loft EmptyThu Oct 13, 2016 3:20 pm

David wrote:
phil, I think Darren means to put a damp proof just under the joists where they rest on the blocks....which will prevent possible damp in future, no ones saying it would get damp, but prevention at this stage is easy, and its better than cure once the loft is up......I have never bothered, but that's me just rushing to get it built   lol!

will you be making the back, sides, front etc in sections, then fixing them together or building a frame and adding the boards/planks onto the frame...?
Yes David - I will be making EVERYTHING myself and it will be made in sections.

1.  To make it easier to construct
2.  To make it easier to erect, and
3.  So when it is time to move back to England we can take the whole thing apart easily and transport it.

The floor will be made from 18 mm marine ply on 3 x 2 joists which will sit on the big timbers in the photograph.  The back and possibly the sides will be made from 18 mm external ply, the roof will be made from 15 mm external ply and the front (just so it looks really nice) will be made from 28 mm shiplap.  I will be making a framework for every section out of CLS so it can either be bolted or screwed together.

I haven't quite made up my mind yet whether to do the sides in ply or shiplap.

Originally I wanted to make the roof what they call an offset apex, in other words the front goes up quite steeply and is quite short in comparison with the rear section.  But after thinking about it, I think it might be fraught with problems, or at least a lot more difficult than a simple sloping roof.  But in any event, I am going to put in a false ceiling covered with chicken mesh.

The roof will be covered in 'Torch-on' felt which has a 25 year warranty.

Phil
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: Our New Racing Loft   Our New Racing Loft EmptyThu Oct 13, 2016 3:34 pm

sounds good phil, good luck with the build.......look forward to seeing the progress.

one thing I`d like to say though phil is, ive found when fanciers build their own lofts or do any alterations other fanciers sometimes say things like "do it this way" or "you should have done it that way", I don't think they are being critical or belittling your work, they are mainly just offering friendly advise, so don't be too offended if there are comments along those lines......its all part of pigeon keeping and loft building...lol!

good luck ... cheers
Back to top Go down
blueskylofts
Youngbird
Youngbird
blueskylofts

PostSubject: Re: Our New Racing Loft   Our New Racing Loft EmptyThu Oct 13, 2016 5:02 pm

David wrote:
sounds good phil, good luck with the build.......look forward to seeing the progress.

one thing I`d like to say though phil is, ive found when fanciers build their own lofts or do any alterations other fanciers sometimes say things like "do it this way" or "you should have done it that way", I don't think they are being critical or belittling your work, they are mainly just offering friendly advise, so don't be too offended if there are comments along those lines......its all part of pigeon keeping and loft building...lol!

good luck ... cheers
Thanks for the advice David.

This will be the EIGHTH loft I will have built - every time I build one, I learn something.

Also - I have found that if you ask pigeon people (or even Don't ask) you will get umpteen different answers, so I don't expect this project to be any different.

Phil
Back to top Go down
edgie
Youngbird
Youngbird
edgie

PostSubject: Re: Our New Racing Loft   Our New Racing Loft EmptyThu Oct 13, 2016 7:25 pm

blueskylofts wrote:
David wrote:

good luck ... cheers

This will be the EIGHTH loft I will have built - every time I build one, I learn something.

Also - I have found that if you ask pigeon people (or even Don't ask) you will get umpteen different answers, so I don't expect this project to be any different.

Phil
best thing you can do is convert an old caravan to a pigeon loft then you can take it with you, as you seem to move more than me lol!
Back to top Go down
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

PostSubject: Re: Our New Racing Loft   Our New Racing Loft EmptyThu Oct 13, 2016 10:51 pm

edgie wrote:
blueskylofts wrote:
David wrote:

good luck ... cheers

Phil
best thing you can do is convert an old caravan to a pigeon loft then you can take it with you, as you seem to move more than me lol!

lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

PostSubject: Re: Our New Racing Loft   Our New Racing Loft EmptyThu Oct 13, 2016 11:01 pm

Phil the best advice I would give anyone building a loft

When getting ventilation right when you have the loft full of pigeons if the air flow is correct you will not smell pigeons

Plus if you stand in the loft in the summer with pigeons within it then feel the air flow if you can breath the pigeons can breath
Back to top Go down
edgie
Youngbird
Youngbird
edgie

PostSubject: Re: Our New Racing Loft   Our New Racing Loft EmptyFri Oct 14, 2016 7:47 am

Don Webb wrote:
Phil the best advice I would give anyone building a loft

When getting ventilation right when you have the loft full of pigeons if the air flow is correct you will not smell pigeons

Plus if you stand in the loft in the summer with pigeons within it then feel the air flow if you can breath the pigeons can breath
true don but another trick is get a large metal tray crunch some newspaper up put it on the tray in the middle of the loft floor, set fire to the paper , the faster the smoke clears the better the ventilation . its a bit like a gas engineer testing the flue to the chimney . cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Our New Racing Loft   Our New Racing Loft Empty

Back to top Go down

Our New Racing Loft
Page 1 of 1