Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» Ian Evans BHW Letter
young bird racing Emptyby Knackered Today at 1:17 am

» birds on loan
young bird racing Emptyby Knackered Today at 12:40 am

» Good Morning
young bird racing Emptyby Knackered Today at 12:29 am

» photo of Morgan
young bird racing Emptyby Knackered Today at 12:20 am

» Weather today
young bird racing Emptyby George & Morgan Yesterday at 5:23 pm

» Hotting up in the Middle East
young bird racing Emptyby David Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:35 pm

» Homing World Stud Book
young bird racing Emptyby George & Morgan Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:46 am

» York Road & District Results 2024
young bird racing Emptyby David Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:39 am

» pigeonchat closing down
young bird racing Emptyby David Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:55 pm

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) young bird racing 20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 76 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 76 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.young bird racing Resise10
Top posting users this week
George & Morgan
young bird racing Vote_lcapyoung bird racing Voting_baryoung bird racing Vote_rcap 
David
young bird racing Vote_lcapyoung bird racing Voting_baryoung bird racing Vote_rcap 
Knackered
barnie
oldstrain
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1296 registered users
The newest registered user is nelsa19ira

Our users have posted a total of 222389 messages in 13991 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
young bird racing Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
young bird racing Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

young bird racing

Go down 
+5
Boosey
peel bros
edgie
markevans
chris perry
9 posters
AuthorMessage
chris perry
Hatchling
Hatchling
chris perry

young bird racing Empty
PostSubject: young bird racing   young bird racing EmptyWed Nov 23, 2016 8:22 pm

If you were starting from scratch, i e an empty loft, how many stock birds would.you get in and.how many young birds would.you breed ??

Cheers guys
Back to top Go down
markevans
Youngbird
Youngbird
markevans

young bird racing Empty
PostSubject: Re: young bird racing   young bird racing EmptyWed Nov 23, 2016 8:27 pm

Chris as many as you can and as many ybs as you can because you will lose quite a lot in the first year and you don't want to be back at square one again

Last edited by markevans on Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
edgie
Youngbird
Youngbird
edgie

young bird racing Empty
PostSubject: Re: young bird racing   young bird racing EmptyWed Nov 23, 2016 8:30 pm

4 t0 6 pair breed 2 rounds should get you started , word of advice don't buy in breeder buyer y/birds , every chance of buying in a problems
Back to top Go down
edgie
Youngbird
Youngbird
edgie

young bird racing Empty
PostSubject: Re: young bird racing   young bird racing EmptyWed Nov 23, 2016 8:32 pm

don't overcrowed
Back to top Go down
peel bros
Oldbird
Oldbird
peel bros

young bird racing Empty
PostSubject: Re: young bird racing   young bird racing EmptyWed Nov 23, 2016 8:33 pm

In an ideal world I would keep 18 cocks and hens for racing and about 50 ybs.as for stock about 12
Back to top Go down
Boosey
Youngbird
Youngbird
Boosey

young bird racing Empty
PostSubject: Re: young bird racing   young bird racing EmptyWed Nov 23, 2016 8:57 pm

If I was starting from scratch I wouldn't breed more than 16 youngens, that's a nice number to manage, it's easy to see if any are under the weather, and you'll be making mistakes to start with until you get into your set routine.
Back to top Go down
edgie
Youngbird
Youngbird
edgie

young bird racing Empty
PostSubject: Re: young bird racing   young bird racing EmptyWed Nov 23, 2016 9:00 pm

what type of racing do you intend to do ?
Back to top Go down
chris perry
Hatchling
Hatchling
chris perry

young bird racing Empty
PostSubject: Re: young bird racing   young bird racing EmptyWed Nov 23, 2016 9:24 pm

edgie wrote:
what type of racing do you intend to do ?

Normal club racing
Back to top Go down
edgie
Youngbird
Youngbird
edgie

young bird racing Empty
PostSubject: Re: young bird racing   young bird racing EmptyWed Nov 23, 2016 10:23 pm

I meant long or short distance ?
Back to top Go down
chris perry
Hatchling
Hatchling
chris perry

young bird racing Empty
PostSubject: Re: young bird racing   young bird racing EmptyWed Nov 23, 2016 11:21 pm

edgie wrote:
I meant long or short distance ?

Was under the impression that club racing covered all angles, short, middle , distance racing, ??
Back to top Go down
Lofty
Youngbird
Youngbird

young bird racing Empty
PostSubject: Re: young bird racing   young bird racing EmptyWed Nov 23, 2016 11:30 pm

I think edgie is getting at what birds you want , as some will be sprint birds, some for the distance, so if you want to concentrate on shorter races there's no point in having a loft full of long distance birds
Back to top Go down
Boosey
Youngbird
Youngbird
Boosey

young bird racing Empty
PostSubject: Re: young bird racing   young bird racing EmptyThu Nov 24, 2016 6:38 am

Where have you got your stock from Chris, hopefully you'll have some all rounders.
Half the fun is finding out yourself what kind of birds you've got, and what they can do.
Back to top Go down
edgie
Youngbird
Youngbird
edgie

young bird racing Empty
PostSubject: Re: young bird racing   young bird racing EmptyThu Nov 24, 2016 8:56 am

Lofty wrote:
I think edgie is getting at what birds you want , as some will be sprint birds, some for the distance, so if you want to concentrate on shorter races there's no point in having a loft full of long distance birds
chris you must have the right tools for the job , you will only have 1 long race a year , most will be 150 miles to 400 miles , the guys you are going to take on will be average but some will be at the top of there game , and you are at ground level , not many will help you as they want to beat you , one thing is certain they will let you do all the hard work , and not thank you for it , only criticize you when you get it wrong ,I wish you luck in the future but be ready for some big dissapointments ? I remember a man saying to me when I first started up in the game , nowt wrong with pigeons only c--ts that keep them , how true he was , as I have found out over the years , I could have quite easily packed up a good number of times , but my birds mean the whole world to me ,and I let them do the talking (pigeons) cheers
Back to top Go down
chris perry
Hatchling
Hatchling
chris perry

young bird racing Empty
PostSubject: Re: young bird racing   young bird racing EmptyThu Nov 24, 2016 9:42 am

I see were your coming from now, to be honest at the moment there is 3 hens and 1 cock in my shed, as for strains/families I ain't got a clue, ones a gaby van something, the other is a bartog soontens, probably spelt them both wrong, or miss heard what they said and the other two aint got a clue. I think as a novice/ beginner I will ne glad to get the birds back off a race and spend the time with the birds as an enjoyment and let the other more experienced club members worry about were they came in the club or federation . If I go all out with high expectations then your right I will be very disappointed, so into the mind set of doing what I can, looking listening and learning.

Back to top Go down
edgie
Youngbird
Youngbird
edgie

young bird racing Empty
PostSubject: Re: young bird racing   young bird racing EmptyThu Nov 24, 2016 10:33 am

Sent p.m. chris
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

young bird racing Empty
PostSubject: Re: young bird racing   young bird racing EmptyThu Nov 24, 2016 10:34 am

no stock whatsoever I would start with a team of ybs and the best of them I would breed from and see whats producing from these don't get bogged down with stock birds jmo
Back to top Go down
phil411
Youngbird
Youngbird
phil411

young bird racing Empty
PostSubject: Re: young bird racing   young bird racing EmptyThu Nov 24, 2016 5:53 pm

I started back this year and I have 10 pair of yearling to race and going to go 25 yb to see how it goes
Back to top Go down
peel bros
Oldbird
Oldbird
peel bros

young bird racing Empty
PostSubject: Re: young bird racing   young bird racing EmptyThu Nov 24, 2016 6:02 pm

Good to have you back phill
I know where edgie is coming from there are some horrible people in this sport but again there are some some fantastic ones as well , which so outweigh the bad one if you know what I mean..I for one have met some great lads on here who I will stay friends with for lifed hopefully. Like steve says pigeons mean the world to him and the same applies to my brother and I. We will have them till the day we die .we started in 1979 and have never once had a break from them ..

Back to top Go down
edgie
Youngbird
Youngbird
edgie

young bird racing Empty
PostSubject: Re: young bird racing   young bird racing EmptyThu Nov 24, 2016 6:16 pm

Now that's a genuine pigeon man
Back to top Go down
chris perry
Hatchling
Hatchling
chris perry

young bird racing Empty
PostSubject: Re: young bird racing   young bird racing EmptyThu Nov 24, 2016 6:20 pm

Looks to me from the response of this topic and talking to.other flyers there is so many ways to go, reading in between the lines its a case of doing what suits the individual and.the individuals finances' but at the end.of the day we all.have.one thing in common and that's the birds welfare and the enjoyment we get out of the sport. There don't seem a right way or a.wrong way, I reckon if you don't go into it with massive expectation's and the fact that success don't come.in one season I won't go far wrong, just enjoy my birds
Back to top Go down
Lofty
Youngbird
Youngbird

young bird racing Empty
PostSubject: Re: young bird racing   young bird racing EmptyThu Nov 24, 2016 6:41 pm

I'll tell you now Chris, this is my first year back after many decades out of pigeons and to see your bird dropping out of the sky and onto the loft is one exiting experience, don't matter where the bird comes in the race, just getting it home is something else, enjoy yourself and your birds, don't worry about winning (yet lol! )
Back to top Go down
peel bros
Oldbird
Oldbird
peel bros

young bird racing Empty
PostSubject: Re: young bird racing   young bird racing EmptyThu Nov 24, 2016 6:47 pm

Yes chris you enjoy your birds all you can.we are all different in many ways.some like to just race and watch them home ect,some like to compete to a certain level again good luck to them but I make no apologies for the way we are.ever since we were kids we where taught to compete hard and let nobody beat us if possible. Its in our blood and always will be.it doesn't matter if it's football , pigeons, darts whatever I will want to win and again I hate losing ,hate it but like I say that's the way we are but good luck to you whatever way you race..
Back to top Go down
phil411
Youngbird
Youngbird
phil411

young bird racing Empty
PostSubject: Re: young bird racing   young bird racing EmptyThu Nov 24, 2016 8:58 pm

Well in my short time in racing pigeons and in the partnership I've really enjoyed it and now I'm by myself I can love it even more with all the cards and races I'm in it as I like love the feeling the first one lads and then once all home I'm probably the worst pigeon man on site from when I know there released I can't eat or drink and I'm pasteing my time up and down my garden
Back to top Go down
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

young bird racing Empty
PostSubject: Re: young bird racing   young bird racing EmptySat Nov 26, 2016 2:16 pm

No matter how many birds a person starts with the important thing is to race them all. Then select the best ones, cull the rest. Most pigeons nowadays (apart from out and out sprinters) can race any distance. If fit, send them. Strict selection and you will win eventually! As Ray says basically, why send them if you do not think you can win? Granted, some send to get the experience on the birds, other times to condition them. But just my opinion.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

young bird racing Empty
PostSubject: Re: young bird racing   young bird racing Empty

Back to top Go down

young bird racing
Page 1 of 1