Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  UK Pigeon SalesUK Pigeon Sales  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» Weather today
by fieldwalker Today at 8:58 am

» Getting near that time again.
by halcanada Today at 1:43 am

» Many roads to Rome.
by halcanada Today at 1:38 am

» Parking in Canada.
by halcanada Today at 1:25 am

» missing racers
by fieldwalker Today at 1:09 am

» Aviery , Whats Yours Like ...?
by halcanada Today at 12:36 am

» Canadian Road Rage! Discretion advised!
by halcanada Today at 12:31 am

» Syndicate race.
by halcanada Today at 12:27 am

» floating eggs
by stu H Yesterday at 6:58 pm

Forum Syndicate
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
Who is online?
In total there are 30 users online :: 6 Registered, 0 Hidden and 24 Guests :: 2 Bots

Boosey, cowandchicken, David, fieldwalker, oldstrain, Skywalker

Most users ever online was 144 on Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:37 am
Bucktons 2017 Calendar
Pigeon World Forum, Fancier of the Year Trophy.
Top posting users this week
halcanada

Knackered

David

oldstrain

fieldwalker

markevans

peel bros

Boosey

stu H

Statistics
We have 1102 registered users
The newest registered user is swaps

Our users have posted a total of 156940 messages in 10430 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
John Gibbs young pied/grizzle winner.
Top posters
David

Don Webb

IANYOUNG

oldstrain

peel bros

Gaz b

Knackered

birdy2011

Rene A

Alex

Share | 

It's bbbb-well happened again

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
blueskylofts
Youngbird
Youngbird

PostSubject: It's bbbb-well happened again   Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:01 pm

I went into our stock loft as normal this morning to find another TWO babies Dead!

This time the culprit was in the nest box kicking the ...t out of the true owners.

I am absolutely fuming!

What I think happened last time, and has happened again this time is, that the cock from 10 box, saw there were babies in the box above his - Box 9 and decided it wanted the box upstairs and in the process, both the 5 day old young birds got skinned/killed.

This morning the same cock from box 10 saw there were new babies only 24 hours old in the box below his, ie box 11, and took that opportunity to try and take box 11, and in the process the two little babies just got trampled.

What makes it even worse is, the two babies that got killed today were out of a direct son of Olympic Gold.

So that is four young birds we have lost already. I feel like getting rid of this cock from box 10 but that is also a direct son of the Olympic line.

One thing is for sure, I cannot afford to let this happen again under any circumstances so really I am at a loss to know what to do. For the moment, I have locked this dominant cock up in its nest box together with its hen and its own two small young birds. I did think about removing it and its partner and young birds into another section completely but I don't really have anywhere unless I built a purpose made nest box and put it in one of our storage sheds, and I don't know if the parents would abandon the babies if I moved them into a new environment.

Does anybody have any suggestions?
Phil
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.philongold.net
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: It's bbbb-well happened again   Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:17 pm

yeah plain and simple phil get rid that cock will always be the same one cock is never worth it for all the aggro it will cause it will upset the whole section and your breeding season he has already cost you 4 babies your call but it would not still be there if it happened in my loft I only ever had it once before it cost me 2 chics but not anymore...he was a very well bred cock too but harmony must prevail jmo atb

Last edited by oldstrain on Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Lofty
Youngbird
Youngbird

PostSubject: Re: It's bbbb-well happened again   Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:04 pm

As above, unless you lock him in at all times with his hen and chicks, I would take as many eggs as I could from him,foster them out,and do the dirty deed,you just cannot take a chance on him anymore no matter what he's from
Back to top Go down
View user profile
markevans
Youngbird
Youngbird

PostSubject: Re: It's bbbb-well happened again   Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:37 pm

As Darren and lofty have said Phil get rid of that cock as it will always course trouble if he is that well bred catch his eggs under feeders and keep him boxed
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: It's bbbb-well happened again   Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:42 am

markevans wrote:
As Darren and lofty have said Phil get rid of that cock as it will always course trouble if he is that well bred catch his eggs under feeders and keep him boxed
Why not just consider a small hutch/cage on the fence type of thing, if he is a well bred cock for the breeding season etc. Could well be worth a punt Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Smile Smile. Cheers.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blueskylofts
Youngbird
Youngbird

PostSubject: Re: It's bbbb-well happened again   Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:49 am

Thanks to everyone who has replied to this posting.

I am still pig-sick - but life must go on. Even though, yesterday I did think a couple of times of packing the whole thing up until we get back to the UK. But at this rate it could be many months.

So - What I think I am going to do is to build myself a 'Bull Pen' and put this cock on the 'Bull System'. Maybe just with two hens to start with and we will see how it goes.

I cannot afford to kill this bird - it is worth hundreds of pounds and could potentially be worth thousands if it breeds some winners. The pedigree is certainly there, but only the basket will really tell.

If I can get this Olympic cock on the Bull System and get a dozen eggs out of him, and just get one good one, it might be worth all the hassle.

Phil
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: It's bbbb-well happened again   Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:29 am

that's the spirit phil keep at it fella Wink you have worked to hard for it and I am sure it will all be worthwhile come yb racing atb
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Lofty
Youngbird
Youngbird

PostSubject: Re: It's bbbb-well happened again   Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:28 am

Good news Phil, don't let the buggers grind you down, lock the git up and float as many eggs as you can get
Back to top Go down
View user profile
peel bros
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: It's bbbb-well happened again   Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:30 am

I would put him on his own if possible. Sometimes it could work in your favour if your racing him.lock another cock in his box on a Friday with his hen .see what he does then on race day
Back to top Go down
View user profile
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird

PostSubject: Re: It's bbbb-well happened again   Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:27 am

Agree with the above. One of the best pigeons I ever owned was an asshole in the loft. Troublemaker. Tempted to kill him many times. What stopped me was the fact that he was so different from the others, harmony wise. So I used his aggressiveness to get him jealous. He won me a few then as a 2 year old won me a 586 miler. First club by 3 hours. 4th Fed. I moved later that year and broke him. A red tailed hawk nailed him as he was picking in the gravel road one evening. Just as I drove up. Threw him in the wood pile. Went in to the house. My Bull terrier start to kick up a ruckus. He had seen something pass the window. Let him out. Streaked over to the wood pile beside the shed and nailed the red tail eating the pigeon. Karma?
No matter, point is he was different. I am always looking for the unusual in the loft. Sometimes it pays off, often not. JMO.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
peel bros
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: It's bbbb-well happened again   Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:48 am

Yes exactly what I am saying..funny enough my first pigeon to top the fed for us was due to this..We had a bully in the loft and he got into this cocks box.blood all over. Anyway we sent the cock that defended his box and he topped the fed
Back to top Go down
View user profile
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: It's bbbb-well happened again   Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:02 am

some good posts their lads ...I would not have the room or time to accomadate such a bird
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
blueskylofts
Youngbird
Youngbird

PostSubject: Re: It's bbbb-well happened again   Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:05 am

peel bros wrote:
I would put him on his own if possible. Sometimes it could work in your favour if your racing him.lock another cock in his box on a Friday with his hen .see what he does then on race day

He's a Stock cock Ray - and I couldn't let him out.
Phil
Back to top Go down
peel bros
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: It's bbbb-well happened again   Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:25 am

Ah right different that then....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird

PostSubject: Re: It's bbbb-well happened again   Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:01 pm

The cock was flying 60 miles North of the main fed. Anyway, never believed in drag as such. Another exceptional bird I had is in my avatar. Mealy hen. Opposite to the cock. She was so tame she would sit on my shoulder when outside. As you can see in the pic, tame, taking a peanut from my mouth. Takes all kinds!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: It's bbbb-well happened again   

Back to top Go down

It's bbbb-well happened again
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Racing Pigeons,Show & Fancy Pigeons :: Message Forum :: General Discussions-
Jump to: