Forum for Pigeon Fanciers
 
HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  UK Pigeon SalesUK Pigeon Sales  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» Bamfords mix
by fieldwalker Today at 1:54 am

» Flying hens.
by fieldwalker Today at 1:51 am

» Choices, choices.
by fieldwalker Today at 1:40 am

» What are you feeding your birds
by halcanada Today at 1:18 am

» Mnfc one loft race
by halcanada Today at 1:11 am

» Another clean out.
by halcanada Today at 12:50 am

» Pigeon sprays
by halcanada Today at 12:39 am

» Weather today
by markevans Yesterday at 6:46 pm

» First YB of 2018
by markevans Yesterday at 6:43 pm

Forum Syndicate
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
Who is online?
In total there are 15 users online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 14 Guests :: 2 Bots

fieldwalker

Most users ever online was 144 on Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:37 am
Bucktons 2017 Calendar
Pigeon World Forum, Fancier of the Year Trophy.
Top posting users this week
David
 
fieldwalker
 
Knackered
 
halcanada
 
markevans
 
oldstrain
 
jet2013uk
 
redrog
 
Boosey
 
peel bros
 
Statistics
We have 1120 registered users
The newest registered user is Eleanor

Our users have posted a total of 162861 messages in 10769 subjects
Log in
Username:
Password:
Log in automatically: 
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
John Gibbs young pied/grizzle winner.
Top posters
David
 
Don Webb
 
IANYOUNG
 
oldstrain
 
peel bros
 
Knackered
 
Gaz b
 
birdy2011
 
Rene A
 
Alex
 

Share | 
 

 Fitness and training

Go down 
AuthorMessage
cowandchicken
Hatchling
Hatchling


Posts : 252
Join date : 2012-03-16

PostSubject: Fitness and training   Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:31 am

How much training do your birds need to be fit enough to compete in the first race?
How quick does a bird reach a competitive fitness?
Is motivation more important than fitness?
just a few thoughts on my mind of late.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
avatar

Posts : 6647
Join date : 2013-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Fitness and training   Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:49 am

cowandchicken wrote:
How much training do your birds need to be fit enough to compete in the first race?
How quick does a bird reach a competitive fitness?
Is motivation more important than fitness?
just a few thoughts on my mind of late.
CC Smile Smile training has 2 facets etc from my perspective, or maybe 3 Wink Wink For me, if every thing else is in place as such basket training more times than not is a complete waste of time, once you give them 6/8 tosses to get them used to the baskets & other birds type of thing. Competive fitness I suspect depends if one has sprint type or long distance birds I would say as they are like chalk & cheese to a degree as to how one attains the fitness trick Wink Wink. Give me motivation any day over fitness Smile Smile in the long run, but one with out the other & it will be like bashing your head against a brick wall Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes for enjoyment if you dont have very good pigeons to play the game with as such.   cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
markevans
Youngbird
Youngbird
avatar

Posts : 2055
Join date : 2015-01-25
Age : 52
Location : Wolverhampton

PostSubject: Re: Fitness and training   Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:26 pm

For me it's training and plenty of it if they haven't had the training they can't do the distance even if its an 80 miler don't listen to people who say that they will follow the rest because they don't they get lost if a pigeon has to fly for two hours at race speed it needs to be fit enough to fly for four hours its best to miss the first or second race and give them more training and jump them in a little further then skimp on the training to catch the first race time on the wing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
avatar

Posts : 6647
Join date : 2013-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Fitness and training   Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:14 pm

markevans wrote:
For me it's training and plenty of it if they haven't had the training they can't do the distance even if its an 80 miler don't listen to people who say that they will follow the rest because they don't they get lost if a pigeon has to fly for two hours at race speed it needs to be fit enough to fly for four hours its best to miss the first or second race and give them more training and jump them in a little further then skimp on the training to catch the first race time on the wing
Fare play to you Mark Smile Smile if that is your way etc & without a doubt I wish you all the best as such doing it your way there. One just hopes thou Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes you don't grow old Smile Smile before your time is due Wink Wink.  cheers
*****
Back to top Go down
View user profile
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
avatar

Posts : 2456
Join date : 2014-03-11
Age : 78
Location : Southern Ontario. Canada.

PostSubject: Re: Fitness and training   Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:43 pm

Many aspects to it. Agree with Mark and Knackered to a point. If your birds are open loft flying and roaming, then minimal training is required. It is a depends situation. All training for young birds as they get some miles on them should be small groups if possible. Leaders not followers. Go it alone birds, regardless of the flock. Old birds previously raced does not really matter. Fit birds will fly around the loft and roam for quite a while. Natural birds with eggs or young not so much. Motivation and fitness. Get both at the same time wonders can happen. Motivated bird will go to the extreme to get home. Being fit puts icing on the cake. Being fit and no motivation, also ran. JMO.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
avatar

Posts : 31143
Join date : 2009-03-18
Location : Leeds

PostSubject: Re: Fitness and training   Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:50 pm

ive always thought there are levels to fitness, a bird may be generally fit, but not race fit......and without the correct motivation you wont get a pigeon in top race fitness.......(just my opinion) lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
avatar

Posts : 6647
Join date : 2013-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Fitness and training   Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:33 pm

David wrote:
ive always thought there are levels to fitness, a bird may be generally fit, but not race fit......and without the correct motivation you wont get a pigeon in top race fitness.......(just my opinion)  lol!
True David Smile Smile Take Manchester City & sadly, poor old Sunderland Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad  lol!  lol!  lol! etc Smile Smile & I would suggest the same apply's Wink Wink.  cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
avatar

Posts : 31143
Join date : 2009-03-18
Location : Leeds

PostSubject: Re: Fitness and training   Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:01 am

Knackered wrote:
David wrote:
ive always thought there are levels to fitness, a bird may be generally fit, but not race fit......and without the correct motivation you wont get a pigeon in top race fitness.......(just my opinion)  lol!
True David Smile Smile Take Manchester City & sadly, poor old Sunderland Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad  lol!  lol!  lol! etc Smile Smile & I would suggest the same apply's Wink Wink.  cheers

I agree knackered, very similar in a lot of ways.......and like we cut the pigeons food down, maybe they should cut the footballers wages down to make them work harder... give them some motivation, no win = no wages Razz Razz cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lofty
Youngbird
Youngbird


Posts : 1721
Join date : 2015-10-07
Location : Swansea

PostSubject: Re: Fitness and training   Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:57 pm

We've noticed in our ybs, they are now flying well around the loft and roaming well, and have gone from little bundles of fluff, to tight feathered tight muscled racing pigeons, fitness I would have thought, just need training after the darkness is finished to get them up to race speed
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
avatar

Posts : 6647
Join date : 2013-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Fitness and training   Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:33 am

David wrote:
Knackered wrote:
David wrote:
ive always thought there are levels to fitness, a bird may be generally fit, but not race fit......and without the correct motivation you wont get a pigeon in top race fitness.......(just my opinion)  lol!
True David Smile Smile Take Manchester City & sadly, poor old Sunderland Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad  lol!  lol!  lol! etc Smile Smile & I would suggest the same apply's Wink Wink.  cheers

I agree knackered, very similar in a lot of ways.......and like we cut the pigeons food down, maybe they should cut the footballers wages down to make them work harder... give them some motivation, no win = no wages Razz Razz cheers
No win, no wages Smile Smile be a lot of skinny type footballers running around the park I would suggest David  Wink  Wink & especially around Sunderland way etc I suspect. cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Fitness and training   

Back to top Go down
 
Fitness and training
Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Racing Pigeons,Show & Fancy Pigeons :: Message Forum :: General Discussions-
Jump to: