Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» Weather today
Best article I have read in a while. Emptyby David Today at 2:49 pm

» Good Morning
Best article I have read in a while. Emptyby David Today at 2:48 pm

» York Road & District Results 2024
Best article I have read in a while. Emptyby David Today at 1:35 pm

» APHA Forms .......
Best article I have read in a while. Emptyby David Fri May 17, 2024 11:38 am

» come join us
Best article I have read in a while. Emptyby David Thu May 16, 2024 10:21 am

» Leeds & District Amalgamation
Best article I have read in a while. Emptyby David Tue May 14, 2024 8:20 pm

» RPRA Partnerships
Best article I have read in a while. Emptyby David Sun May 12, 2024 11:48 am

» BHW Subscriptions
Best article I have read in a while. Emptyby David Sat May 11, 2024 10:36 pm

» King removes Patronage
Best article I have read in a while. Emptyby David Thu May 09, 2024 8:46 pm

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) Best article I have read in a while. 20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 18 users online :: 2 Registered, 0 Hidden and 16 Guests :: 1 Bot

David, George & Morgan

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.Best article I have read in a while. Resise10
Top posting users this week
David
Best article I have read in a while. Vote_lcapBest article I have read in a while. Voting_barBest article I have read in a while. Vote_rcap 
George & Morgan
Best article I have read in a while. Vote_lcapBest article I have read in a while. Voting_barBest article I have read in a while. Vote_rcap 
barnie
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1298 registered users
The newest registered user is Marcdvc11

Our users have posted a total of 222882 messages in 14007 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
Best article I have read in a while. Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
Best article I have read in a while. Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

Best article I have read in a while.

Go down 
+5
markevans
blueskylofts
MISTY
fieldwalker
halcanada
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

Best article I have read in a while. Empty
PostSubject: Best article I have read in a while.   Best article I have read in a while. EmptySun Mar 25, 2018 12:47 am

Back to top Go down
fieldwalker
Youngbird
Youngbird
fieldwalker

PostSubject: Re: Best article I have read in a while.   Best article I have read in a while. EmptySun Mar 25, 2018 6:23 am

Interesting Hal,I always enjoy Ad's articles Smile
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: Best article I have read in a while.   Best article I have read in a while. EmptySun Mar 25, 2018 10:04 am

Good read, but same has been said hundreds of times, we need action not stating the obvious.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
http://albertrosbottom35@outlook.com
blueskylofts
Youngbird
Youngbird
blueskylofts

PostSubject: Re: Best article I have read in a while.   Best article I have read in a while. EmptySun Mar 25, 2018 7:17 pm

It seems as though we have been side-tracked a bit here.

We started discussing Ad's article on a forum, then went off on a different tangent re the RPRA and its general manager.

I don't really have a lot to say about the latter, as there is nothing I can do about the situation. At least, I don't think I can do anything about it. As has already been stated - the RPRA doesn't even ask its members who they would like to see in power. That cannot be right on so MANY different levels.

What group of members are not asked who they would like to see working for the money they pay them. After all (unless I am mistaken) WE pay these people's Wages!

As for Ad's article - you can always trust Mr Schaerlaeckens to 'tell it like it is'.

A man after my own heart.

It was very interesting to read that the 'Champions' at the forum, thought that giving Amino Acid was an important thing, and when I wrote a long article last year about how important Amino Acid was, a lot of you told me I was talking rubbish!

Ah well - I know who I would rather listen to.

Phil
Back to top Go down
http://www.philongold.net
markevans
Youngbird
Youngbird
markevans

PostSubject: Re: Best article I have read in a while.   Best article I have read in a while. EmptySun Mar 25, 2018 7:24 pm

A good read with some very good points
Back to top Go down
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

PostSubject: Re: Best article I have read in a while.   Best article I have read in a while. EmptySun Mar 25, 2018 9:27 pm

MISTY wrote:
Good read, but same has been said hundreds of times, we need action not stating the obvious.

Regards.
Obvious to some not all. You may have posted many times along those lines or said the same things. However, Ad S. has a higher profile than you in most peoples eyes. He will be more remembered for his comments, probably his observations acted on..
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: Best article I have read in a while.   Best article I have read in a while. EmptySun Mar 25, 2018 9:36 pm

As long as matters benefit the pigeons I could not care less who say what.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

PostSubject: Re: Best article I have read in a while.   Best article I have read in a while. EmptySun Mar 25, 2018 9:42 pm

True. It is unfortunate there are so many different councils/boards running the sport in the UK. Not sure if I understand you though. These governing bodies, are they elected by the members? If not how can they be in the position they are in?
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: Best article I have read in a while.   Best article I have read in a while. EmptySun Mar 25, 2018 10:18 pm

The sport in the England is run by the RPRA who conduct the sport through a set of Rules.

There are other organisations but they are subject to the basic rules of the RPRA.

The Rules are supposed to be decided by the membership, however, the method of doing so is so complicated that it is almost impossible to change them unless the Council agree with them.

The method of voting is such that 80% could be in favour of a proposition but can be defeated by 20%.

There is no individual voting and this is done by clubs sending in their votes, but you can have a club with 20 members and another with 15 members voting one way and three clubs with single figures defeating them. ie. 35 for and 12against.

Matters have not changed for over 50 years and some of the members of the Council have been on the Council for that period.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

PostSubject: Re: Best article I have read in a while.   Best article I have read in a while. EmptyMon Mar 26, 2018 2:30 am

WOW! Dark ages revisited!! Brits (being one myself) usually will voice their opinion. Same as unions etc,. My first thought after reading that was why bother with the RPRA at all. Get a national organisation going that looks after the needs of the majority. Very big task? Maybe. Heck if you folks can get out of Brexit then you can do anything. GB Racing pigeon union or whatever. The Royal part I would leave out of any group. Who the hell cares what the Royals do or lend their name to? Upper class prestige. Self serving. I am upper class! Why? Because my life is so much better than the millions who cannot afford to eat.
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: Best article I have read in a while.   Best article I have read in a while. EmptyMon Mar 26, 2018 9:13 am

we are not out of the eu / brexit yet hal, and if the government have their way, we never will be......the delaying tactics will work in the end,
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: Best article I have read in a while.   Best article I have read in a while. EmptyMon Mar 26, 2018 2:54 pm

I agree that having the Queen as Patron may be a disadvantage in some instances, but is a nice heading for stationary etc;

The problem we have over here is that the sport has improved (for some) in technical matters (timers) but gone far backwards in integrioty and the things that realy matter.

I would suggest that a sylvester and chsain would not remove the present OLD BRIGADE, but father time will eventually have his way as he is slowly doing, but lets hope their lack of integrity goes with them.

Regards.

Back to top Go down
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

PostSubject: Re: Best article I have read in a while.   Best article I have read in a while. EmptyTue Mar 27, 2018 1:42 am

American Union is having the same problem. Canada Directors and the President are elected. Not all positions are filled so volunteers are asked for.
Back to top Go down
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

PostSubject: Re: Best article I have read in a while.   Best article I have read in a while. EmptyTue Mar 27, 2018 2:51 am

Canadian Union Directors are unpaid, I beleive. Probably why volunteer Directors are asked for on occasion. But is that not a good thing? The Secratary gets paid of course as she runs the CU store and band registrations and many other things. So Directors do it because of their love of the Sport. Ex President from way back has just signed on to be a director. He does not fly any more. Club folded few years ago in his home town. Getting old also. No axe to grind. However, we have Federations and Combines here, same as you folks. Rules may change, boundaries may change but as long as it is legal in the CU charter all is well. It has to be. In my location nearest flier, not in my club, is about 30 miles shorter than me and 20 miles farther North. On the South end, nearest is about 40 miles, longest a 100 or so. So for different locations there really cannot be any tight Federation boundaries. Some clubs impose boundaries but not many. If they did the club would fold. Just too big an area. As a kid I flew to an allotment close to Camerons Hospital in West Hartlepool. West View? Cannot remember. However flying to such a small area with fanciers all around, whistling, calling, throwing white fantails or other droppers on to the landing board was a night mare trying to clock. Pigeons were as confused as I. Do not get me wrong. No negativity intended. But never again that situation. Bird did not trap? Pellet gun used on one occasion I witnessed. May as well have a one loft race. With the scope of the Federation here, after 200 miles plus anything can happen. Wind usually from the West. Headwind. A NW or SW wind can change things drastically. Birds up to about 60 miles East of here have some advantage. Some hills to slow the wind down and built up areas like towns and cities. After that basically open country. To place in this Fed to me is the sign of a good bird. specially when the races get beyond 300 miles. JMO.
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: Best article I have read in a while.   Best article I have read in a while. EmptyTue Mar 27, 2018 9:43 am

The fact is that you cannot compare a pigeon flying great differences in distance to totally different areas and then say the pigeon gaining the highest velocity is the best, there are too many anomalies involved.

You would not attempt to compare a horse race of 5 furlongs with a mile race by a velocity.

As for the representatives within the sport in our country.

There are according to the present figures around 22,000 members, no one knows just what percentage actually race pigeons.

The Council is composed of 25 Council members, if on a 4 year basis you could not get 25 different members willing to serve on the Council then something is sadly lacking.

Not forgetting that some present members have done everything other than shooting anyone wanting to take their place, to retain their positions.

As a youngster I was surrounded by pigeon fanciers, the majority miners.

Some had their lofts in the back gardens and others on allotments, yes there was crowding on some allotments etc; but there was also more enjoyment than going shopping etc; and letting the pigeons time themselves in.

The pigeons were also kept more according to how any animal should be kept.

The only changes that have been made have been for the benefit of the fancier and not the pigeon, the latter should be the main priority.

Regards.

Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: Best article I have read in a while.   Best article I have read in a while. EmptyTue Mar 27, 2018 10:37 pm

As you are well aware there is a vast difference between where you are now and over here, the RPRA's area is minute in regard to where you are so should be far easier to supervise for the benefit of ALL fanciers.

But during the past 50 years nothing has changed other than introducing different timers, and each time causing problems of advantage, this regarding rules etc;'

On the other hand the majority of fanciers USE their pigeons like ROBOTS.

Give me the good old days any time.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

PostSubject: Re: Best article I have read in a while.   Best article I have read in a while. EmptyWed Mar 28, 2018 12:56 am

Yes. I am aware. Australia is vast. South Africe also. The Asian countries are vast also. The latter have seen an exceptional growth in pigeon racing. Why? In my opinion it is the money and prestige that can be won by a small time flyer. So the surge of one loft races. Old days are gone unfortunately. Pigeon racing gets boring? People will race drones.
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: Best article I have read in a while.   Best article I have read in a while. EmptyWed Mar 28, 2018 9:59 am

Once money becomes the main reason for participation in anything, matters deteriorate so rapidly that the original intention is lost.

Also it is inevitable that cheating will occur.

One loft racing offers numerous means of cheating from the minute a bird enters the loft and it will not be long before someone slips up.

It is also a fact that several of the possibilities could not be detected unless you have a whistle blower.

I have always said that one loft racing is like letting the best man spend the first night with the bride.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

PostSubject: Re: Best article I have read in a while.   Best article I have read in a while. EmptyWed Mar 28, 2018 10:22 am

MISTY wrote:
Once money becomes the main reason for participation in anything, matters deteriorate so rapidly that the original intention is lost.

One loft racing offers numerous means of cheating from the minute a bird enters the loft and it will not be long before someone slips up.

It is also a fact that several of the possibilities could not be detected unless you have a whistle blower.

I have always said that one loft racing is like letting the best man spend the first night with the bride.

Regards.
Smile Smile Your last quote Misty Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes has me some what concerned here now bounce bounce unfortunately, seeing as we are all signed up to go for the kill "nearly" in one here in the near future Wink Wink. cheers
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: Best article I have read in a while.   Best article I have read in a while. EmptyWed Mar 28, 2018 10:34 am

All the enjoyment in the sport for me was every minute spent either with or watching our feathered friends and all that that entailed.

Racing was just one part and with all the jealousy etc; involved not always the most enjoyable.

How anyone can let a stud breed a pigeon and send it straight to a one loft race, pay for it, and get any satisfaction, even if it wins, is beyond me.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

PostSubject: Re: Best article I have read in a while.   Best article I have read in a while. EmptyThu Mar 29, 2018 1:30 am

Misty. Pride that the pigeon could do it against many others. Competition. All that pigeon racing is about! No matter the money won or lost. Same as back yard competition. Allotments. What is the difference? More diverse pigeons from many top fliers. Not your next door neighbours birds crossed. Get real! Old days are gone. Or soon will be.
Back to top Go down
morb
Chipping
Chipping
morb

PostSubject: Re: Best article I have read in a while.   Best article I have read in a while. EmptyThu Mar 29, 2018 3:15 am

MISTY wrote:
All the enjoyment in the sport for me was every minute spent either with or watching our feathered friends and all that that entailed.

Racing was just one part and with all the jealousy etc; involved not always the most enjoyable.

How anyone can let a stud breed a pigeon and send it straight to a one loft race, pay for it, and get any satisfaction, even if it wins, is beyond me.

Regards.

for some the one loft is the only choice, as far as satisfaction goes i can remember my 3rd one loft race that i sent birds to, i sent 3 birds from 3 different nests. one bird was lost during training one finished the whole ting but did not do that well but one was doing great, he won 600$ and was right there for the ace bird prize but then the last race was a smash and he never it back. i can still remember going over the training and race results watching him get better and better. even though i wasn't there it was still fun.
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

PostSubject: Re: Best article I have read in a while.   Best article I have read in a while. EmptyThu Mar 29, 2018 8:29 am

MISTY wrote:

Regards.
Smile Smile Each to their own Misty Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes many ways we can gain enjoyment from our birds etc & anything that helps keep the interest factor going for flyers/non flyers can only have a positive aspect to it all I suggest in this day & age  Smile  Smile. cheers
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: Best article I have read in a while.   Best article I have read in a while. EmptyThu Mar 29, 2018 10:15 am

Could not agree more, everyone has different ideas and aims in life, and it is no one else's business so long as it does not adversely affect others.

What my concern is the long term future of the sport in general.

I loved showing my pigeons, others do not, but as matters are going it may just be a good alternative to racing.

There would be no raptor problem, you can see the opposition and make your mind up weather the judge should be shot or just reprimanded.

As you say there are many different ways of enjoying the sport.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

PostSubject: Re: Best article I have read in a while.   Best article I have read in a while. EmptyThu Mar 29, 2018 6:25 pm

MISTY wrote:

Regards.

lol! lol! lol! best not jump the broomstick then eh misty ,I have often thought of the many ways one loft racing could be fixed ,theirs so many possibilities pirat pirat
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best article I have read in a while.   Best article I have read in a while. Empty

Back to top Go down

Best article I have read in a while.
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next