Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» Good Morning
total disaster yesterday Emptyby oldstrain Today at 12:21 pm

» Weather today
total disaster yesterday Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 12:09 pm

» King removes Patronage
total disaster yesterday Emptyby oldstrain Today at 11:04 am

» York Road & District Results 2024
total disaster yesterday Emptyby David Yesterday at 1:35 pm

» APHA Forms .......
total disaster yesterday Emptyby David Fri May 17, 2024 11:38 am

» come join us
total disaster yesterday Emptyby David Thu May 16, 2024 10:21 am

» Leeds & District Amalgamation
total disaster yesterday Emptyby David Tue May 14, 2024 8:20 pm

» RPRA Partnerships
total disaster yesterday Emptyby David Sun May 12, 2024 11:48 am

» BHW Subscriptions
total disaster yesterday Emptyby David Sat May 11, 2024 10:36 pm

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) total disaster yesterday 20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 32 users online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 31 Guests :: 1 Bot

David

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.total disaster yesterday Resise10
Top posting users this week
George & Morgan
total disaster yesterday Vote_lcaptotal disaster yesterday Voting_bartotal disaster yesterday Vote_rcap 
oldstrain
total disaster yesterday Vote_lcaptotal disaster yesterday Voting_bartotal disaster yesterday Vote_rcap 
David
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1298 registered users
The newest registered user is Marcdvc11

Our users have posted a total of 222893 messages in 14007 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
total disaster yesterday Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
total disaster yesterday Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

total disaster yesterday

Go down 
+2
David
morb
6 posters
AuthorMessage
morb
Chipping
Chipping
morb

total disaster yesterday Empty
PostSubject: total disaster yesterday   total disaster yesterday EmptySun Jul 29, 2018 6:52 pm

took my older young birds on an easy 30 mile toss yesterday. i released them a 9:00 am and gave the the younger ones a 5 mile toss. the younger ones got back in 20 min. i never saw a 30 mile bird till about 7pm then another at 8pm and 2 more this morning, 4 still haven't showed up, at total smash. i'm not sure what happened, when i cut them loose they took one circle and headed in the direction of home. i expected them to be home shortly after i got home, pretty disappointed since they doing so well.
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: total disaster yesterday   total disaster yesterday EmptySun Jul 29, 2018 7:16 pm

sorry to hear that morb, that's how it seems to be lately ..........training and one race, and I`m done for the season, got 5 ybs which might be raced as yearlings next year jocolor geek study
Back to top Go down
morb
Chipping
Chipping
morb

PostSubject: Re: total disaster yesterday   total disaster yesterday EmptySun Jul 29, 2018 7:30 pm

that's too bad david, i'm sorry to hear that, things sure seem different this year. last year my young birds would be gone for hours after i let them out, their 3rd toss was 100 miles and they made it home in good time with a cross wind. this years birds don't seem to want to range very far but they have been doing ok on training tosses.
the club i'm going to be racing with next year only races old birds so it's not all bad since i have some really good yearlings this year and old birds that will race next year
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: total disaster yesterday   total disaster yesterday EmptySun Jul 29, 2018 7:41 pm

same here morb, ybs not wanting to exercise around home compared to last time I raced, I dare say the fault is me, something ive done differently maybe....plus ive found if you leave ybs to get lazy, and bad habits, its hard to change them.
Back to top Go down
Lofty
Youngbird
Youngbird

PostSubject: Re: total disaster yesterday   total disaster yesterday EmptySun Jul 29, 2018 7:42 pm

That’s the strangest thing, our 1st round YBS were the same , wouldn’t range far, talking to other flyers local to me and theirs was the same, as was other fanciers further afield,just wouldn’t range, and as you can probably tell from reading this forum, losses have also been huge concerning youngsters in the uk.
Back to top Go down
Lofty
Youngbird
Youngbird

PostSubject: Re: total disaster yesterday   total disaster yesterday EmptySun Jul 29, 2018 7:44 pm

David wrote:
same here morb, ybs not wanting to exercise around home compared to last time I raced, I dare say the fault is me, something ive done differently maybe....plus ive found if you leave ybs to get lazy, and bad habits, its hard to change them.

Nothing you’ve done David, re my post above
Back to top Go down
morb
Chipping
Chipping
morb

PostSubject: Re: total disaster yesterday   total disaster yesterday EmptySun Jul 29, 2018 7:45 pm

Lofty wrote:
That’s the strangest thing, our 1st round YBS were the same , wouldn’t range far, talking to other flyers local to me and theirs was the same, as was other fanciers further afield,just wouldn’t range, and as you can probably tell from reading this forum, losses have also been huge concerning youngsters in the uk.

that's very interesting, i thought it was just me, like david i was wondering what did differently this year but i can't really come up with anything.
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: total disaster yesterday   total disaster yesterday EmptySun Jul 29, 2018 8:00 pm

I have heard of others who`s ybs were ranging/exercising for hours, so I`m at a loss........I did think it was due to being on the dark, as every time I have done darkness the ybs seem to stop exercising....
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: total disaster yesterday   total disaster yesterday EmptySun Jul 29, 2018 9:19 pm

The weather this year has been trying for humans, and there is no reason to not believe that animals do not suffer the same.

To expect the weather to not affect the pigeons would be foolish.

If all fanciers are having problems using the same as previously regarding treatment, then there must be a reason for the difference in behavior.

WE do not know if the change in the weather affects matters the pigeons rely on but it is obvious that something is amiss and it cannot be all put down to raptors etc;

If pigeons do not fly at home it is because they do not want to under the existing conditions and flagging them will do more damage.

Better to miss a few races until the weather conditions return to normal than risk ruining a kit of youngsters.

Dehydration is one of the main problems at all times with the pigeons transportation and with the added hot weather can only be increased.

To carry on as normal will result in what you now get.

Regards.

Back to top Go down
http://albertrosbottom35@outlook.com
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: total disaster yesterday   total disaster yesterday EmptySun Jul 29, 2018 9:49 pm

ive certainly learned a few harsh lessons this season, I just hope I have an alternative method for next season..........I need to re think my feeding/food, training routine and exercising, maybe keep them natural and just breed earlier instead of darkness. Question Question
Back to top Go down
Boosey
Youngbird
Youngbird
Boosey

PostSubject: Re: total disaster yesterday   total disaster yesterday EmptySun Jul 29, 2018 10:28 pm

Thats the wonderful thing about our sport were all learning all the time, no 2 seasons are the same.
What works for one mans pigeons might not necessarily work for another, I wouldn’t swap it for anything. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
morb
Chipping
Chipping
morb

PostSubject: Re: total disaster yesterday   total disaster yesterday EmptySun Jul 29, 2018 10:37 pm

not sure about the weather on your side of the pond but it is pretty normal around these parts, july and august are always hot and dry. i know if my birds are fat they won't exercise so i keep them a bit sharp during training with rest breaks and all they want to eat while on break.
i agree that there must something going on if everyone is having problems though.
Back to top Go down
morb
Chipping
Chipping
morb

PostSubject: Re: total disaster yesterday   total disaster yesterday EmptySun Jul 29, 2018 10:39 pm

Boosey wrote:
Thats the wonderful thing about our sport were all learning all the time, no 2 seasons are the same.
What works for one mans pigeons might not necessarily work for another, I wouldn’t swap it for anything. Very Happy

i don't see a thumbs up emoji so thumbs up lol
Back to top Go down
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

PostSubject: Re: total disaster yesterday   total disaster yesterday EmptyMon Jul 30, 2018 2:06 am

Hi Morb and folks. We are in a 30 year cycle of weather. 8,000 hectares burning in Northern Ontario. Thunderstorms daily here in South Ontario. Tornado hit today few miles from here. Buckets of rain. Knew the forecast so trained anyway. 4th toss. 40 miles. Had them up in sunshine at 7.30 am. Thunderstorms and cloud moved in 2 hours later. All birds were back and in the loft in just over an hour. Correction. 6 birds came later. We have thunderstorms forecast all week. For me it is a do or do not regarding training. They will race next weekend regardless. Half of them. I must sound like I am bragging or similar. Not so. Young birds are coming as stated. I am surprised as any one. Expected losses. Assume will get many first race. But who can predict? No vaccines, no meds. Fortunately no raptors. Yet.
Trying the light system this year. From June 21st or before 16 hours light. Some birds ignore the light and moult anyway. But most are in good feather. Crucial moult time is about here for the Winter bred ones so will be interesting to see. Can ship 40 but need 12 for next year. Maximum. Thank goodness I do not have the problems you folk have!
Back to top Go down
morb
Chipping
Chipping
morb

PostSubject: Re: total disaster yesterday   total disaster yesterday EmptyMon Jul 30, 2018 2:27 am

sounds like you guys are having a rough time out east hal. i usually don't worry about the weather too much, if you wait for the right conditions around here you'd never let your birds out lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: total disaster yesterday   total disaster yesterday Empty

Back to top Go down

total disaster yesterday
Page 1 of 1