Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» Weather today
Corn again. Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 7:13 am

» Good Morning
Corn again. Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 7:12 am

» come join us
Corn again. Emptyby David Yesterday at 10:21 am

» Leeds & District Amalgamation
Corn again. Emptyby David Tue May 14, 2024 8:20 pm

» York Road & District Results 2024
Corn again. Emptyby David Tue May 14, 2024 8:19 pm

» RPRA Partnerships
Corn again. Emptyby David Sun May 12, 2024 11:48 am

» BHW Subscriptions
Corn again. Emptyby David Sat May 11, 2024 10:36 pm

» King removes Patronage
Corn again. Emptyby David Thu May 09, 2024 8:46 pm

» escaped birds return
Corn again. Emptyby David Thu May 09, 2024 10:25 am

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) Corn again. 20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 28 users online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 27 Guests :: 1 Bot

George & Morgan

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.Corn again. Resise10
Top posting users this week
George & Morgan
Corn again. Vote_lcapCorn again. Voting_barCorn again. Vote_rcap 
David
barnie
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1297 registered users
The newest registered user is tharunjohar50

Our users have posted a total of 222849 messages in 14006 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
Corn again. Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
Corn again. Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

Corn again.

Go down 
+2
fieldwalker
halcanada
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

Corn again. Empty
PostSubject: Corn again.   Corn again. EmptySat Nov 03, 2018 1:24 am

Setting a new guy up with birds. All free. Told him stock up on feed if possible. The corn coming off now is checked for Mycotoxins. Bad year here for it. Some farmers will go broke. It will not get in to human food because of Canadian regulations. Some with lower amounts will get in to animal feed. Standard practise. As for the feed companies? Who knows? So. My birds now are ok on the mix I buy. But in a few months the corn may be contaminated. That used for pigeon feed. Europe should be fine. Wheat was good this year, no Mycotoxins. However. Will eventually cut out the corn. In the UK years ago I fed them just wheat. Shilling a small bag. My birds do not like wheat. So what I intend to do is this. Stock up on corn from last years crop. Buy wheat. Then some milo and other grains. Mix my own. Easy enough. Birds do not eat it they will starve. Not likely though.
However, this from a poultry site regarding Mycotoxins.
"The use of clay-based materials for toxin binding is not new. For centuries, humans and animals have been reported to eat clay minerals, a process known as geophagy. The consumption of edible clays for various purposes by people and animals in developing countries (and the United States) is common and in most cases is considered to be beneficial to health

The inclusion of non-nutritive clay minerals in the diet of animals has been widely adopted for reducing toxin bioavailability and exposure from contaminated feeds." I use Stable Boy. Clay powder floor dressing.
Back to top Go down
fieldwalker
Youngbird
Youngbird
fieldwalker

Corn again. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Corn again.   Corn again. EmptySat Nov 03, 2018 5:40 am

What about feeding pellets,heat treated so should be ok,just thought of summit while typing..
Have you used pig meal in any form Hal?
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

Corn again. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Corn again.   Corn again. EmptySat Nov 03, 2018 7:35 am

interesting read hal ...I give clay on a sunday every sunday to the birds and would not be without it they go straight down for it at breeding time its available 24/7
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

Corn again. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Corn again.   Corn again. EmptySat Nov 03, 2018 9:45 am

Pigeons on completely open hole have access to all the minerals and other things THEY think necessary for good health, I know of very good fanciers who crush old clay bricks along with the lime mortar and let them pick at it at will.

As for feed, years ago there was no polishing etc; {can only take away and not put anything in and it could be taking out the good as well as any bad)

Farm beans, wheat, and peas along with barley was reaily available from the farms, when intensive farming was not the norm, very few problems and the pigeons were mainly healthy.

Today is a very different ball game regarding feed.

Under normal circumstances a wild animal will cope with minor defects and problems in the wild with regard to feed.

When you confine a pigeon it depends entirely on the fancier to replicate as near as possible the desirable qualities with regard to it's whole welfare, including feed.

The problem is we do not know all that makes our feathered friends tick.

I came to the conclusion that it was best to give them a good selection of feed all the year round and not muck about.

It worked for me and I never had one complaint from the pigeons.

Regards.

Back to top Go down
http://albertrosbottom35@outlook.com
Daz
Youngbird
Youngbird

Corn again. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Corn again.   Corn again. EmptySat Nov 03, 2018 10:32 am

True Misty. Remember, and have it some where when two eminent Guys 'Walker and another said regards adding oil and such for the moult or racing saying Beans etc. have an abudance or oil and everything a bird needs.

Gary Edmunds - the best fancier ever -- along with Jimmy White of Scotland said 'I just buy a no one mix - Farmer - and that's it. With good clean water. Yes I know that they will peck up in the gutters and drink from puddles first chance, So they know better than me... But don't know what I have in store for them come week end. But I just feed the same for racing breed etc.
Barry- he uncle the same... Was a time when Barry brought all his feeds from a health shop... Later saying 'What a waste of time, money and effort that was …. He carried on winner when buying farm feeds.
Indeed most records in the club and fed are still held by them two. Barry would say 'Weer Gary was unbeatable on his day, which at all levels and distances he was. He would enter an open and Barry would put his money on the bird... not birds as Gary nigh always knew it seemed which one.. Tightest mate I ever had was Gary. Would go into the club and whisper in turn the 'Main Stayers' who never shone 'Back my Ring number **********. they would take the pools lol.
Barry told me many tell tale signs and means of being right which order the birds would arrive. Uncanny, but one learned a lot more by doing as such. Indeed is a boon to knowing your birds and merits etc. etc.
Back to top Go down
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

Corn again. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Corn again.   Corn again. EmptySat Nov 03, 2018 4:13 pm

I doubt if it will affect any one in Europe. Seems to be just this part of Canada and some US states close by. Crop on this land about a 1000 acres is free from it. From what I can see. It was sprayed to prevent it a few times. Never remember corn in the UK for pigeons. Maize.
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

Corn again. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Corn again.   Corn again. EmptySat Nov 03, 2018 4:42 pm

We could get Dog Tooth maize in the old days and also horse beans.

Daz, I feel we both suffer from the same illness, FRUSTRATION.

You cannot get through to some fanciers that if a pigeon is born with a 50cc engine all things being equal it will never beat one with a 100cc engine

But both can be treated in a manner that neither can reach their true potencial, and in some circumstances bad practice to the 100cc engine could result in the 50cc engine beating it.

A pigeons full potential is determined at birth and no additives, training etc; can make it go beyond.

So the art is to get the maximum potential in the easiest manner for both fancier and pigeon.

And it is not by filling them with a load of tripe and making them sick of the basket etc;

But then some people never learn.

Regards.

Back to top Go down
Daz
Youngbird
Youngbird

Corn again. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Corn again.   Corn again. EmptySat Nov 03, 2018 5:53 pm

True, exactly. Had a fancier that said to me a good few years ago 'If you could, by whatever means, improve a pigeon performance (-- if possible)  - by 20 or more percent. Be it a bad or good, or even an exceptional pigeon …  then in that case a better pigeon will improve the same, so nothing gained, but then one has to take into account the 'Fancier and his ability in getting the best out of them'.
Then the same equates regards a fancier.   Likewise a system , but above all the management!
Of course only healthy and conditioned pigeons win races... Not paper bag blow homes of course.

So from birth a pigeon progresses to it's own strengths. Also it's detrimental abilities and health.

Constitutions, natural built up immunities. You job is the three C's … or 5 when getting to be good. A home that they love and want to be at... you will never ever motivate a pigeon to home if not interested... There I go again, this post could go on for pages lol.

Last edited by Daz on Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

Corn again. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Corn again.   Corn again. EmptySat Nov 03, 2018 9:14 pm

Agree Daz, most things have been covered many times over but I have always attempted to point out the waste of good pigeons by bad practice and advised better consideration of our feathered friends.

The best motivation is the love of their home and the best way to give a happy home is to interfere with them as little as possible.

Widowhood and the Darkness systems are not within this remit, they cannot possibly help a pigeons love of home, they are like holding a gun to their heads.

They fly not for love of home but through fear.

I laugh when some fanciers point out how content their pigeons are when they come and sit on their shoulder, they would do exactly the same to a complete stranger who had a few peanuts in the hand.

My pigeons would go about their own business all day and totally ignore me unless I showed an interest in them with afew t*t bits.

Come race day they would fly back not to me but to their extended family, all I had to do was provide a home they thought they should not be away for long.

But it takes all sorts and look what has happened to the sport and the pigeons.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
Daz
Youngbird
Youngbird

Corn again. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Corn again.   Corn again. EmptySun Nov 04, 2018 10:16 am

The 3 C's. Contentment, condition and control. Then continuality, consistency and the ... There's a few more C's yet.
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

Corn again. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Corn again.   Corn again. EmptySun Nov 04, 2018 12:52 pm

COMMON SENSE, being one, Daz, sadly lacking today.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
Daz
Youngbird
Youngbird

Corn again. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Corn again.   Corn again. EmptySun Nov 04, 2018 1:19 pm

Probably the most ignored let alone understood I'm afraid.
How many more C's eh!
Back to top Go down
Daz
Youngbird
Youngbird

Corn again. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Corn again.   Corn again. EmptySun Nov 04, 2018 1:24 pm

I have often said, and truly believe, especially in the past, every LOFT has, or have had a truly very good pigeon. Unfortunately a very large percentage hadn't. had the slightest knowledge sad to say.
Back to top Go down
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

Corn again. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Corn again.   Corn again. EmptySun Nov 04, 2018 6:30 pm

Daz wrote:
I have often said, and truly believe, especially in the past, every LOFT has, or have had a truly very good pigeon. Unfortunately a very large percentage hadn't. had the slightest knowledge sad to say.
Yes! But one must compete with them all to find them. Eye sign, wing theory, not a sure fire way to find them. Strongest indication would be parentage but again, not 100%.
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

Corn again. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Corn again.   Corn again. EmptySun Nov 04, 2018 9:29 pm

Could not agree more Daz, there are more good pigeon ruined through bad practice than those that achieve their full potential, and I agree that most lofts will at some time have very good pigeons and ruin them.

Looked out of the window, getting away from our sport, and a young cock pheasant was just outside the window, if my wife had not seen it at the same time I would not have believed it.

The nearest shoot is about a couple of miles away and I think it must have been hit and just managed to reach our garden which is not very big, I tried to find it but to no avail, it could be hiding in the hedge some where.

Put some corn down but the other birds do not understand it was not for them.

Would have willingly adopted it and given it a good home.

Regards.

Back to top Go down
Daz
Youngbird
Youngbird

Corn again. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Corn again.   Corn again. EmptyMon Nov 05, 2018 9:07 am

Was a time when one would hide behind the Shoots Guns and grab a pheasant / Partridge that dropped some 200 yards or more behind.

Now most 'Kills' are abandoned as not a lot of need. Ok a percentage are taken, and the keeper plucks - via a machine - and draws and sells to restaurants etc.
Mind I bet the Keeper / landowner will be peeved at that.
Not many butchers have them hanging up outside the shop etc. these days either.

Had a couple of very good friends who were head keepers. one boxed fpr me, the other was one we went back for a long time before he was even a keeper, Poacher yes lol.

Well was visiting one time and he had loads of unwanted game birds. So I took 10 - 12 brace to local pubs I frequented to GIVE away! Many went OHHHHHH I'd love to ... Can you pluck and draw... or more precise. 'Can you oven prepare then for me, as I couldn't ... One brace was taken. Others went in others freezers. later they thaw and Skinned with the feathers in one go. the don't cook so good though. Mind I aint fond of Pheasants to say the least. Partridge I liked... But don't have now.
Was a time when Pheasants were caught by hand... a lot better and bled straight off... none of the stupidity of letting the blood rott the flesh. Likewisewase rabbits. Caught by hand.
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

Corn again. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Corn again.   Corn again. EmptyMon Nov 05, 2018 5:14 pm

When young had a policy of my own regarding animals for food, IF I COULD CATCH IT WAS MINE. if the game keeper could catch me ?????, far too fast for him.

WE were very rarely without rabbit stew on the go.

I had ferrets and purse nets from as far back as I can remember until recent times.

Never tasted any game bird, but had plenty of fun with some very nice GAME BIRDS.

Had a run through Forge Valley with my wife last week, saw about 50 pheasants that had just been released, with a bit of corn you could have hand fed them, not my type of activity, release tame birds, frighten up and shoot them AAH AAH,

Regards.
Back to top Go down
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

Corn again. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Corn again.   Corn again. EmptyTue Nov 06, 2018 1:15 am

Had ferrets and purse nets. Rabbits do not burrow here. Ground to frozen.
Back to top Go down
fieldwalker
Youngbird
Youngbird
fieldwalker

Corn again. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Corn again.   Corn again. EmptyTue Nov 06, 2018 7:21 am

Done a bit of "i walked by night" foldy .410 in the coat.
Ferrets,nets,snares,dogs various
Made feed stations for rabbits n pheasants but was only pot hunting, 1 in the freezer 1 in the pot.
Pheasant (cock,breast) and rabbit pie short crust pastry, could eat a bucket full.
study
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

Corn again. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Corn again.   Corn again. EmptyTue Nov 06, 2018 8:12 am

Those were the days, so sad to see the youth of today walking about like zombies with some kind of technical appliance stuffed in their ear and another in the hand etc;

WE old boys have certainly much to be grateful for, (and girls) to have experienced the vastly different aspects of life encountered over the last 80 years or so.

Would not like to have been born in recent times.

Regards.

Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

Corn again. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Corn again.   Corn again. EmptyTue Nov 06, 2018 8:55 am

MISTY wrote:
Those were the days,  so sad to see the youth of today walking about like zombies with some kind of technical appliance stuffed in their ear and another in the hand etc;

WE old boys have certainly much to be grateful for, (and girls) to have experienced the vastly different aspects of life encountered over the last 80 years or so.

Would not like to have been born in recent times.

Regards.

Had a situation here just the other night Misty unfortunately, I'm  affraid. 2 mates etc went out to a party to have a good time as such to-gether. Sadly Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad one got high on ice & killed his mate in a ice type rage. Took 6 police to bring him under control when they turned up on the scene. A bit of the old type weed  Wink  Wink "Hal's special"  Smile  Smile never caused such trouble for me  bounce  bounce when I was some what younger here  Wink  Wink.   cheers
Back to top Go down
Daz
Youngbird
Youngbird

Corn again. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Corn again.   Corn again. EmptyTue Nov 06, 2018 3:33 pm

Never liked rabbit... couldn't get past the smell, like crab.

But like the pigeons of the Silo's and church they certainly served a purpose.
Remember when first ferreted and using Flans, I guess you call Purses, I caught the rabbit but didn't (Then have the heart … so let them go... But then the need of a few bob took over lol.

Would flan the railway lines about 1- 30 to 2 O'clock. Nip back and relief some from the flans caught going out. Then reset to cat any coming back. Flan up again and put a couple of old ferrets either side and let them work towards each other. Staff on shoulders and many trips to the van eh! Up the club with them before one!
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

Corn again. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Corn again.   Corn again. EmptyTue Nov 06, 2018 7:47 pm

Very sad Knackered.

We are having a spate of drug fueled killings in several towns and cities, young kids being used as distributers and killing each other.

Some users no doubt do suffer dire consequences but it is the suppliers that are causing all the problems.

Never ever tried any drug other than curative from a doctor so I do not know what is involved in taking them but having seen some results that must be obvious to others cannot understand why anyone would do so.

It does not help when you see celebrities that young people look up to stoned out of their stupid heads on drugs.

Cannot see a solution being on the horizon, those in power too interested in PC.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

Corn again. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Corn again.   Corn again. EmptyTue Nov 06, 2018 11:14 pm

MISTY wrote:
Very sad Knackered.

We are having a spate of drug fueled killings in several towns and cities, young kids being used as distributers and killing each other.

Some users no doubt do suffer dire consequences but it  is the suppliers that are causing all the problems.

Never ever tried any drug other than curative from a doctor so I do not know what is involved in taking them but having seen some results that must be obvious to others cannot understand why anyone would do so.

It does not help when you see celebrities that young people look up to stoned out of their stupid heads on drugs.

Cannot see a solution being on the horizon, those in power too interested in PC.

Regards.
Feel much the same way as you Misty etc Smile Smile. Unfortunately Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad we now live in the age Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes of excuses as such I suggest I'm affraid when people get caught breaking the law. Pot/Ice Wink Wink type of thing. Daddy gave me the belt Smile Smile when I was young & my teacher sent me to the corner, for being naughty & so I was deprived of a normal child hood Wink Wink. Legal Eagles Wink Wink have a special book I suspect these days. Heading, 101 excuses Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad & to be used for all clients on court day, no matter what the charge may be  Wink  Wink. cheers
Back to top Go down
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

Corn again. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Corn again.   Corn again. EmptyWed Nov 07, 2018 2:55 am

2 cases today here. Woman stabs another woman to death in a store. Not guilty, brain was not working. Another guy, not guilty killing his father. Was too drunk to know what he was doing. Do the crime do the time!!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Corn again. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Corn again.   Corn again. Empty

Back to top Go down

Corn again.
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next