Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» York Road & District Results 2024
Always in the loft Emptyby David Today at 1:35 pm

» Good Morning
Always in the loft Emptyby David Today at 1:33 pm

» Weather today
Always in the loft Emptyby David Today at 1:32 pm

» APHA Forms .......
Always in the loft Emptyby David Fri May 17, 2024 11:38 am

» come join us
Always in the loft Emptyby David Thu May 16, 2024 10:21 am

» Leeds & District Amalgamation
Always in the loft Emptyby David Tue May 14, 2024 8:20 pm

» RPRA Partnerships
Always in the loft Emptyby David Sun May 12, 2024 11:48 am

» BHW Subscriptions
Always in the loft Emptyby David Sat May 11, 2024 10:36 pm

» King removes Patronage
Always in the loft Emptyby David Thu May 09, 2024 8:46 pm

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) Always in the loft 20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 31 users online :: 2 Registered, 0 Hidden and 29 Guests :: 1 Bot

barnie, David

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.Always in the loft Resise10
Top posting users this week
David
Always in the loft Vote_lcapAlways in the loft Voting_barAlways in the loft Vote_rcap 
George & Morgan
Always in the loft Vote_lcapAlways in the loft Voting_barAlways in the loft Vote_rcap 
barnie
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1298 registered users
The newest registered user is Marcdvc11

Our users have posted a total of 222878 messages in 14007 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
Always in the loft Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
Always in the loft Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

Always in the loft

Go down 
+3
MISTY
David
Daz
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Daz
Youngbird
Youngbird

Always in the loft Empty
PostSubject: Always in the loft   Always in the loft EmptyTue Feb 12, 2019 12:57 pm

Joyce moans if always in the house. But onions sliced and left on saucers around the rooms of all the house does a world of good. Always had in loft. cheap and an a absolute must!

The most common cause of death among small children at the turn of the twentieth century used to be dehydration caused by diarrhea. Professor Ernst Moro, a paediatrician, found that he could lower the death rate dramatically about 1908 by feeding the children a simple carrot soup and this recipe became the standard regimen until the development of antibiotics at about 1940.
By far the major cause of diarrhea is an infection by micro-organisms that multiply in the intestines and excrete various toxins. This scenario causes an increase in intestinal motility and massive excretion of semi-digested food and fluids.
Dr. Moro had no idea why this simple soup was so beneficial. It took modern science to uncover the secret: Various pathogenic micro-organisms attach to receptors on the intestinal wall. The preparation of the carrot soup splits the sugars present in the carrots into very small oligosaccharides which in turn are very similar to the intestinal receptors. The pathogens attach to these oligo-saccharides and are safely excreted before they can cause any problems.
Although no longer used against diarrhoea in children this soup finds application against diarrhoea in various livestock and chicken. It may be beneficial to prevent "young bird sickness" and even treat it in its very early stages. It may also be used again against infections by antibiotic resistant micro-organisms.
Recipe for 40 pigeons:
1 kg diced carrots
2.5 l water
3 tsp. salt
Let the above simmer for 1.5 hrs. (this time is important) and divide the liquid into 3 equal portions. Use one portion in the drinker (mixed with the appropriate amount of water) for 3 consecutive days.
Should the birds already be sick it may be best to feed just some rolled oats for a few days instead of grain that may be too hard to digest.

Video in German: http://www.hr-online.de/website/static/ ... height=306

Another essential

n 1919 when the flu killed 40 million people there was this Doctor that visited the many farmers to see if he could help them combat the flu... Many of the farmers and their families had contracted it and many died.
The doctor came upon this one farmer and to his surprise, everyone was very healthy. When the doctor asked what the farmer was doing that was different the wife replied that she had placed an unpeeled onion in a dish in the rooms of the home, (probably only two rooms back then). The doctor couldn't believe it and asked if he could have one of the onions and place it under the microscope. She gave him one and when he did this, he did find the flu virus in the onion. It obviously absorbed the bacteria, therefore, keeping the family healthy.
Now, I heard this story from my hairdresser. She said that several years ago, many of her employees were coming down with the flu, and so were many of her customers. The next year she placed several bowls with onions around in her shop. To her surprise, none of her staff got sick. It must work. Try it and see what happens. We did it last year and we never got the flu.
Now there is a P. S. to this for I sent it to a friend in Oregon who regularly contributes material to me on health issues. She replied with this most interesting experience about onions:
Thanks for the reminder. I don't know about the farmer's story... but, I do know that I contacted pneumonia, and, needless to say, I was very ill. I came across an article that said to cut both ends off an onion put it into an empty jar, and place the jar next to the sick patient at night. It said the onion would be black in the morning from the germs...sure enough it happened just like that...the onion was a mess and I began to feel better.
Another thing I read in the article was that onions and garlic placed around the room saved many from the black plague years ago. They have powerful antibacterial, antiseptic properties.
This is the other note. Lots of times when we have stomach problems we don't know what to blame. Maybe it's the onions that are to blame. Onions absorb bacteria is the reason they are so good at preventing us from getting colds and flu and is the very reason we shouldn't eat an onion that has been sitting for a time after it has been cut open.

LEFT OVER ONIONS ARE POISONOUS!

I had the wonderful privilege of touring Mullins Food Products, Makers of mayonnaise. Questions about food poisoning came up, and I wanted to share what I learned from a chemist.
Ed, who was our tour guide, is a food chemistry whiz. During the tour, someone asked if we really needed to worry about mayonnaise. People are always worried that mayonnaise will spoil. Ed's answer will surprise you. Ed said that all commercially-made mayo is completely safe.
"It doesn't even have to be refrigerated. No harm in refrigerating it, but it's not really necessary." He explained that the pH in mayonnaise is set at a point that bacteria could not survive in that environment. He then talked about the summer picnic, with the bowl of potato salad sitting on the table, and how everyone blames the mayonnaise when someone gets sick.
Ed says that, when food poisoning is reported, the first thing the officials look for is when the 'victim' last ate ONIONS and where those onions came from (in the potato salad?). Ed says it's not the mayonnaise (as long as it's not home made mayo) that spoils in the outdoors. It's probably the ONIONS, and if not the onions, it's the POTATOES.
He explained onions are a huge magnet for bacteria, especially uncooked onions. You should never plan to keep a portion of a sliced onion.. He says it's not even safe if you put it in a zip-lock bag and put it in your refrigerator.
It's already contaminated enough just by being cut open and out for a bit, that it can be a danger to you (and doubly watch out for those onions you put in your hot dogs at the baseball park!). Ed says if you take the leftover onion and cook it like crazy you'll probably be okay, but if you slice that leftover onion and put on your sandwich, you're asking for trouble. Both the onions and the moist potato in a potato salad, will attract and grow bacteria faster than any commercial mayonnaise will even begin to break down.
Also, dogs should never eat onions. Their stomachs cannot metabolize onions.
Please remember it is dangerous to cut an onion and try to use it to cook the next day, it becomes highly poisonous for even a single night and creates toxic bacteria which may cause adverse stomach infections because of excess bile secretions and even food poisoning

Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

Always in the loft Empty
PostSubject: Re: Always in the loft   Always in the loft EmptyTue Feb 12, 2019 1:02 pm

very interesting reading daz, just skipped over it but was interesting al the same...will read in more depth later Suspect
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

Always in the loft Empty
PostSubject: Re: Always in the loft   Always in the loft EmptyTue Feb 12, 2019 1:37 pm

Flue problem solved then.

Just buy a bag of onions.

No more flue.

Save the NHS millions.

Regards.

Back to top Go down
http://albertrosbottom35@outlook.com
Daz
Youngbird
Youngbird

Always in the loft Empty
PostSubject: Re: Always in the loft   Always in the loft EmptyTue Feb 12, 2019 2:11 pm

Does one note a tad of cynicism? Here's another one then.... but with a lot of truth lol

What would the wealthy charlatans do to compensate the £billions loss ?
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

Always in the loft Empty
PostSubject: Re: Always in the loft   Always in the loft EmptyTue Feb 12, 2019 2:16 pm

The onion theory may work or could be coincidence, however I doubt the following worked:-

Eat only lemons to live for ever.

Rub your eyes whilst thinking of buttercups to cure blindness.

Live naked because cloths trap poisonous farts.

All proposed in the past.

Regards.

Back to top Go down
fieldwalker
Youngbird
Youngbird
fieldwalker

Always in the loft Empty
PostSubject: Re: Always in the loft   Always in the loft EmptyTue Feb 12, 2019 2:16 pm

Yeah iv read about cut onions before and the reason not to save half an onion.
Pointed out to mrs allwaysright a few year ago....
Ofcourse she already knew.
study
Back to top Go down
Daz
Youngbird
Youngbird

Always in the loft Empty
PostSubject: Re: Always in the loft   Always in the loft EmptyTue Feb 12, 2019 2:43 pm

you know, we actually owe a lot to Tomato Ketchup! It was made with, well very many harmful ingredients… daren't name them here but was supposed to be made of natural preservatives.
Salt. a naturally occurring compound, benzoic acid found in a wide variety of plants. tobacco to cranverries having a antimicrobial properties. etc, etc. are the nice one lol.
Plus of course to Henry J. Heinz. whom with Harvey Washington Wiley Chief of the U.S. Department of Agriculture Deparntment of Chemists. His chemists had exposed both widespread fraud's - from Gypsum in four, to brick dust in cinnamon - and a dismaying reckless of untested preservatives, ranging from formaldehyde to Borax

Heinz backed him and put together they put a lot of different foods of sorts, not poisonous for want of a better discription, refusing to fall in line with other U.S. corporations which were moving to to block any effort to establish food and drink standards. To understand that we to take a look at the man himself, as well as the succesful buisnessman!

So nothing changes there then eh!
Back to top Go down
Daz
Youngbird
Youngbird

Always in the loft Empty
PostSubject: Re: Always in the loft   Always in the loft EmptyTue Feb 12, 2019 2:44 pm

fieldwalker wrote:
Yeah iv read about cut onions before and the reason not to save half an onion.
Pointed out to mrs allwaysright a few year ago....
Ofcourse she already knew.
study

Lol fieldwalker … I wonder just how Google and C0. survive eh! lol
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

Always in the loft Empty
PostSubject: Re: Always in the loft   Always in the loft EmptyTue Feb 12, 2019 2:59 pm

at one time I was giving garlic in the drinking water 24/7 but read a very good article which made me stop doing it.........I`ll try find it and post it up.
Back to top Go down
barnie
Youngbird
Youngbird
barnie

Always in the loft Empty
PostSubject: Re: Always in the loft   Always in the loft EmptyTue Feb 12, 2019 3:47 pm

Not sure about pigeons but in humans too much garlic is reported to possesses anti blood-clotting properties. Also low blood sugar mentioned. Be like most things though, too much isn't good for anything.
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

Always in the loft Empty
PostSubject: Re: Always in the loft   Always in the loft EmptyTue Feb 12, 2019 4:31 pm

Used garlic in the water every day, no problems what so ever, for many years.

You will find that some one will find a reason WHY NOT for almost anything, I believe in facts and actualities rather than theories.

If you read and believed everything the experts say the human race would have died of starvation years ago.

You will always find the detractors in every aspect of life, I believe in facts not suppositions.

Every fanciers pigeons would be dead if they took notice of everything the experts say.

Regards.

Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

Always in the loft Empty
PostSubject: Re: Always in the loft   Always in the loft EmptyTue Feb 12, 2019 4:48 pm

I started using garlic when I read the Roman soldiers had to eat a clove a day.

I have just googled garlic and the latest advice is that humans should eat a clove a day.

The benefits are far superior to any drug, the Chinese produce and use the most garlic.

Some of the benefits:-

Lowers blood pressure,

Kills bad bacteria.

Boosts good bacteria

Boosts the immune system

The list is endless as to it's benefits.

I think I prefer the evidence rather than theories.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

Always in the loft Empty
PostSubject: Re: Always in the loft   Always in the loft EmptyTue Feb 12, 2019 5:01 pm

like all things, there are as many articles / videos on the internet against the use of garlic as there are for it........

one mans theory, is another mans fact, and visa versa.

https://www.ener-chi.com/eating-garlic-is-very-toxic-for-the-body/
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

Always in the loft Empty
PostSubject: Re: Always in the loft   Always in the loft EmptyTue Feb 12, 2019 7:06 pm

I find reading about herbs and spices fascinating ...check out burdock root and cinnamon and oregano to name just 3 many many more with health benefits
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

Always in the loft Empty
PostSubject: Re: Always in the loft   Always in the loft EmptyTue Feb 12, 2019 11:04 pm

oldstrain wrote:
I find reading about herbs and spices fascinating ...check out burdock root and cinnamon and oregano to name just 3 many many more with health benefits
Smile Smile Wink Wink. cheers
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

Always in the loft Empty
PostSubject: Re: Always in the loft   Always in the loft EmptyWed Feb 13, 2019 1:12 am

Those opposed to using garlic appear to be involved in some alternative practices.

Never ever heard of anyone world wide dying from garlic poisoning, nor the ill effects of.

Proof of the pudding etc;

The Chinese eat tons of it as do the continentals, where is the least bit of evidence that it is in any way harmful?.

My pigeons had it every day and I know others do the same.

Only recently in the BHW a top fancier said the only thing he used was garlic and he grew his own.

You would get some idiot saying a person was not dead when his head was in one place and the rest of his body in another, just a temporary separation.?????.

Regards.

Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

Always in the loft Empty
PostSubject: Re: Always in the loft   Always in the loft EmptyWed Feb 13, 2019 8:28 am

don't recall saying I opposed it or saying it was not beneficial just not for me personally I prefer to use oregano and cinnamon theirs no doubting garlics good points but dosage is sceptical,the form in which you use it is the best manner to administer as oppose to oils because as mentioned before oils can and do go rancid even in transportation ,I think what we have here misty is a touch of devils advocate ...the wild garlic is a milder type of garlic theirs plenty growing in a small wooded area a stones throw away and I have some planted here for my own use ,the active ingredient is allicin and its all about the amount of that as too much is not good ,you may see me banging on about oregano and tests have been done on a large number of animals in the farming industry with very positive results and I like the fact these tests have been done and undertaken in a challenging environment over a large area with good results and that's why I use it ...only a fool would say garlic is of no benefit but I repeat its about the dosage for me atb
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

Always in the loft Empty
PostSubject: Re: Always in the loft   Always in the loft EmptyWed Feb 13, 2019 9:44 am

oldstrain wrote:
don't recall saying I opposed it or saying it was not beneficial just not for me personally I prefer to use oregano and cinnamon theirs no doubting garlics good points but dosage is sceptical,the form in which you use it is the best manner to administer as oppose to oils because as mentioned before oils can and do go rancid even in transportation ,I think what we have here misty is a touch of devils advocate ...the wild garlic is a milder type of garlic theirs plenty growing in a small wooded area a stones throw away and I have some planted here for my own use ,the active ingredient is allicin and its all about the amount of that as too much is not good ,you may see me banging on about oregano and tests have been done on a large number of animals in the farming industry with very positive results and I like the fact these tests have been done and undertaken in a challenging environment over a large area with good results and that's why I use it ...only a fool would say garlic is of no benefit but I repeat its about the dosage for me atb

The point I would like to make O/S Smile Smile into some thing like Garlic etc bounce bounce is people should try, if some thing takes there fancy type of thing with the their birds & they think it could/would be of some benefit. Not all little gems Wink Wink come out of experts mouths I could maybe suggest at the end of the day. Garlic to a point has it believers Smile Smile along with the unbeliever types on average I suspect. Have a 25 litre plastic water container/drum, which I draw my daily water from for my birds here, also has garlic in it 24/7/52. Any one like to have a wee stab Wink Wink Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes  at what actually happens in that container over time as such Smile Smile as I was quite amazed at what I saw transpire there in front of my own eyes in the container. End of the day thou bounce bounce it fortunately didn't seem to effect my birds for what I have experienced in any way shape or form thankfully. Another one  Rolling Eyes  Rolling Eyes my babies, have just about destroyed all my Lemon balm plants  Wink  Wink in my garden here. Exactly why  Rolling Eyes  Rolling Eyes I'm not quite sure etc  Smile  Smile & more than likely I will never quite know why I suspect  Smile  Smile but some thing in them certainly took their fancy for some strange reason  Wink  Wink. cheers
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

Always in the loft Empty
PostSubject: Re: Always in the loft   Always in the loft EmptyWed Feb 13, 2019 9:45 am

I agree, oldstrain, the only way I would use garlic is untouched and un tampered with, I used to just crunch a clove and put it in the water.

Straight from the horses mouth as it were.

The same thing with what you use, if it works ??????.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

Always in the loft Empty
PostSubject: Re: Always in the loft   Always in the loft EmptyWed Feb 13, 2019 11:09 am

Never noticed anything untoward in my drinkers Knackered, although not surprised I rarely cleaned them and left everything to nature, think I am well behind the knowledge involved in nature but tried to keep within natures bounds as far as I could.

Regards.

Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

Always in the loft Empty
PostSubject: Re: Always in the loft   Always in the loft EmptyWed Feb 13, 2019 12:41 pm

I would hazard a guess misty our ozzy friends garlic has sprouted in the 25 litre container ...yes indeed seeing is believing if it works then why change
Back to top Go down
fieldwalker
Youngbird
Youngbird
fieldwalker

Always in the loft Empty
PostSubject: Re: Always in the loft   Always in the loft EmptyWed Feb 13, 2019 2:28 pm

Back to onions study
Thinking 2 or 3 halves hung in the loft couldn't do any harm study
Maybe...just maybe dee ah bit gud
Yu niva nah.
study
Back to top Go down
Daz
Youngbird
Youngbird

Always in the loft Empty
PostSubject: Re: Always in the loft   Always in the loft EmptyWed Feb 13, 2019 7:01 pm

Always had Onions hanging in the loft. Cost nigh nowt! Had three cut in halfs and hung by a hook on the mesh wired roof.
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

Always in the loft Empty
PostSubject: Re: Always in the loft   Always in the loft EmptyWed Feb 13, 2019 7:29 pm

It takes all sorts and all sorts work for some, I used to hang a small couple of bags of aniseed high in the loft pigeons just love the smell and no side effects.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

Always in the loft Empty
PostSubject: Re: Always in the loft   Always in the loft EmptyWed Feb 13, 2019 7:46 pm

oldstrain wrote:
I would hazard a guess misty our ozzy friends garlic has sprouted in the 25 litre container ...yes indeed seeing is believing if it works then why change
True with the sprouting thing O/S WinkWink But then Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes not quite the answer I was looking for as such bounce bounce I'm  affraid . Now Misty Smile Smile the chemical reaction in play in your drinkers there I suspect Wink Wink appear miles apart from the scenario I have seen play out before my own eyes here etc in my very own water drum/container for my birds Smile Smile. cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Always in the loft Empty
PostSubject: Re: Always in the loft   Always in the loft Empty

Back to top Go down

Always in the loft
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next