Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» Weather today
When in doubt !!!. Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 7:13 am

» Good Morning
When in doubt !!!. Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 7:12 am

» come join us
When in doubt !!!. Emptyby David Yesterday at 10:21 am

» Leeds & District Amalgamation
When in doubt !!!. Emptyby David Tue May 14, 2024 8:20 pm

» York Road & District Results 2024
When in doubt !!!. Emptyby David Tue May 14, 2024 8:19 pm

» RPRA Partnerships
When in doubt !!!. Emptyby David Sun May 12, 2024 11:48 am

» BHW Subscriptions
When in doubt !!!. Emptyby David Sat May 11, 2024 10:36 pm

» King removes Patronage
When in doubt !!!. Emptyby David Thu May 09, 2024 8:46 pm

» escaped birds return
When in doubt !!!. Emptyby David Thu May 09, 2024 10:25 am

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) When in doubt !!!. 20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 35 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 35 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.When in doubt !!!. Resise10
Top posting users this week
George & Morgan
When in doubt !!!. Vote_lcapWhen in doubt !!!. Voting_barWhen in doubt !!!. Vote_rcap 
David
When in doubt !!!. Vote_lcapWhen in doubt !!!. Voting_barWhen in doubt !!!. Vote_rcap 
barnie
Statistics
We have 1297 registered users
The newest registered user is tharunjohar50

Our users have posted a total of 222849 messages in 14006 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
When in doubt !!!. Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
When in doubt !!!. Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

When in doubt !!!.

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

When in doubt !!!. Empty
PostSubject: When in doubt !!!.   When in doubt !!!. EmptySat Feb 16, 2019 12:55 am

Found in my time Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes you can get a 1 in 50 years type of moment with pigeons at times & when it occurs bounce bounce  many times you just do not have a complete answer why it is so type of thing Smile Smile. today I placed 20 odd babies across into the race loft etc, should have gone across a fortnight ago Wink Wink but I tend to move at a slower pace these days for some strange reason Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes. Anyway Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad one didn't quite make the journey Wink Wink so to speak, as it just couldn't hold it's wings in place like normal so it just had to go from perspective. At the end of the day sadly I'm affraid  it looked like one of those pigeons who had just flown 500 miles on a hot day & homed dragging it's wings with the stress factor one see's at times here. Now Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes that was the negative aspect sadly of my day here so far Wink Wink the positive aspect thou now  bounce  bounce is I now have an extra ring to use, maybe Wink Wink. cheers
Back to top Go down
Boosey
Youngbird
Youngbird
Boosey

When in doubt !!!. Empty
PostSubject: Re: When in doubt !!!.   When in doubt !!!. EmptySat Feb 16, 2019 6:57 am

Heartbreaking that Hal, but you did the right thing.
In the wild it would have got picked off early doors by a predator.
1 like that could bring all your young birds down.
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

When in doubt !!!. Empty
PostSubject: Re: When in doubt !!!.   When in doubt !!!. EmptySat Feb 16, 2019 7:14 am

Knackered, it is a sad fact that if you engage in keeping animals of any description you will have heartbreaking moments.

I would think that fanciers cull more pigeons than any other type of animal used in sport, other than maybe the shooting fraternity, and think nothing about it, and on the grounds they are not good enough, cull, cull, they cry.

Having bred several types of animals there has always been the odd one deformed or not as they should be, it is just as it is.

Do you mean you moved the young from one loft to another or from the parents?.

Chin up and feel how lucky you are many respects.

Regards.

Back to top Go down
http://albertrosbottom35@outlook.com
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

When in doubt !!!. Empty
PostSubject: Re: When in doubt !!!.   When in doubt !!!. EmptySat Feb 16, 2019 11:43 pm

MISTY wrote:
Knackered, it is a sad fact that if you engage in keeping animals of any description you will have heartbreaking moments.

I would think that fanciers cull more pigeons than any other type of animal used in sport, other than maybe the shooting fraternity, and think nothing about it, and on the grounds they are not good enough, cull, cull, they cry.

Having bred  several types of animals there has always been the odd one deformed or not as they should be, it is just as it is.

Do you mean you moved the young from one loft to another or from the parents?.

Chin up  and feel how lucky you are many respects.

Regards.

Neither Misty Wink Wink last sentence etc bounce bounce as posted, should tell you the final outcome I suggest Smile Smile.
Back to top Go down
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

When in doubt !!!. Empty
PostSubject: Re: When in doubt !!!.   When in doubt !!!. EmptySun Feb 17, 2019 2:41 am

Come on folks! Bred and shipped many thousands of hogs. Sows boars whatever. Keep what produces. Name of the game in any livestock endeavour. Pigeons not much different. Winners or producers keep. Old favourites get replaced by better birds. Or set up a retirement loft. Pulling down 24 x 8 this year. So have to lose 50 or more flying. So be it. Stock birds some have to go also. Hate to cull but there is no other way. Feed is expensive, time and labour gets out of hand. For me the less the better. But each to their own.
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

When in doubt !!!. Empty
PostSubject: Re: When in doubt !!!.   When in doubt !!!. EmptySun Feb 17, 2019 8:12 am

Sorry if I did not make it plain, Knackered, what I meant was: where did you move the young from -to.

From another loft, or from the parents.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

When in doubt !!!. Empty
PostSubject: Re: When in doubt !!!.   When in doubt !!!. EmptySun Feb 17, 2019 9:02 am

MISTY wrote:
Sorry if I did not make it plain, Knackered, what I meant was: where did you move the young from -to.

From another loft, or from the parents.

Regards.
lol! lol! lol! Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Truth be told Misty Wink Wink it's on it's way to heaven etc Smile Smile maybe  bounce  bounce  via the garbage truck pick up here tomorrow etc. cheers
Back to top Go down
Daz
Youngbird
Youngbird

When in doubt !!!. Empty
PostSubject: Re: When in doubt !!!.   When in doubt !!!. EmptySun Feb 17, 2019 12:34 pm

I've never sent, let alone raced in a 'One Loft'  etc.
If I did / Or had, there would be, like most who do and have, one or two To do's'. I'd have set certain goals.
Firstly I would select say 6 pair of breeders. Completely unrelated. Whether I had or bought in. I would gather as much info I could, regarding the immunity and health. Their' and the lofts constitution. Their' homing ability. Another search would be that they came from proven Distance birds! Regardless of what system they flew.

Come to breeding, I would let them have plenty of room to move around in the loft. Maybe, hopefully, or perhaps I would have 12 birds completely unrelated. That's a must and a certainty ... I would select mates by the colours of parents and or former mates. This shows what they would prefer which leads to contentment. - Some times fanciers try incessantly to mate birds that aren't interested in each other!

Feed would be at least 50% (Often more) of Oats. A mixture of 30 or so percent protein and oil feeds. I think Tic beans at 25% or a smaller Maple pea at 22%. 15% to 20% small seeds. Canary or such or mixed (even wild seeds and I wouldn't care less about hygiene etc. A fallacy I feel). This is what I would rear the youngsters on! The young would get some 'Eggs' mix some times, say once or twice a week.
Nests would be a wooden square about 2 inches high. with  half a house brick at the side. One side able to be taken out and put back
At, say, 12 days I would start taking the youngsters aside of their' nest box. Yes side down so that they could fine and be able to go back in. This would show me what, if any, a brain and 'Homing ability'. I wouldn't - as I often did remove them from the nest box at 16 days or so and let the feed in the basket etc. As I would only be interested in what they showed me in natural elements in their nests. So would leave till they left on their own till they deserted the nest box and picked up on their own. No they wouldn't ever see outside the loft.
I would be confident that they were bred in the pink. reared to prime condition and had a brain and some homing ability BEFORE choosing which went etc. J.M.O.
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

When in doubt !!!. Empty
PostSubject: Re: When in doubt !!!.   When in doubt !!!. EmptySun Feb 17, 2019 2:51 pm

Knackered, I did not mean just the sad little fellow who will be, hopefully, be in a better world than ours, but the whole lot of the young birds.

Had they been straight from the parents, or from one loft to another.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

When in doubt !!!. Empty
PostSubject: Re: When in doubt !!!.   When in doubt !!!. EmptySun Feb 17, 2019 7:31 pm

MISTY wrote:
Knackered, I did not mean just the sad little fellow who will be, hopefully, be in a better world than ours, but the whole lot of the young birds.

Had they   been straight from the parents, or from one loft to another.

Regards.
Sorry Misty Smile Smile bit slow I'm  affraid down here at times understanding the message sent type of thing Smile Smile. Just left the babies in the stock loft to fend for themselves etc here because of my circumstances before all going over to the race loft, bar one Wink Wink together. Just the natural thing/way maybe bounce bounce & I got the idea off an old fella lol! lol! lol! Wink Wink one could say Smile Smile who has the same name as his dog type of thing Smile Smile would you believe.
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

When in doubt !!!. Empty
PostSubject: Re: When in doubt !!!.   When in doubt !!!. EmptySun Feb 17, 2019 7:49 pm

Thanks for sorting it out, Knackered, hope they have increased their immune system and fly their little hearts out for you.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

When in doubt !!!. Empty
PostSubject: Re: When in doubt !!!.   When in doubt !!!. EmptySun Feb 17, 2019 7:55 pm

MISTY wrote:
Thanks for sorting it out, Knackered, hope they have increased their immune system and fly their little hearts out for you.

Regards.
They better my friend lol! lol! lol! etc Smile Smile or they could just about finish up where my latest casualty here finished up type of thing Wink Wink I suggest. cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

When in doubt !!!. Empty
PostSubject: Re: When in doubt !!!.   When in doubt !!!. Empty

Back to top Go down

When in doubt !!!.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Racing Pigeons,Show & Fancy Pigeons :: General Pigeon News :: Weather-
Jump to: