Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» Good Morning
darkness help please Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 2:06 am

» come join us
darkness help please Emptyby David Yesterday at 10:21 am

» Weather today
darkness help please Emptyby David Yesterday at 9:45 am

» Leeds & District Amalgamation
darkness help please Emptyby David Tue May 14, 2024 8:20 pm

» York Road & District Results 2024
darkness help please Emptyby David Tue May 14, 2024 8:19 pm

» RPRA Partnerships
darkness help please Emptyby David Sun May 12, 2024 11:48 am

» BHW Subscriptions
darkness help please Emptyby David Sat May 11, 2024 10:36 pm

» King removes Patronage
darkness help please Emptyby David Thu May 09, 2024 8:46 pm

» escaped birds return
darkness help please Emptyby David Thu May 09, 2024 10:25 am

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) darkness help please 20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 19 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 19 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.darkness help please Resise10
Top posting users this week
George & Morgan
darkness help please Vote_lcapdarkness help please Voting_bardarkness help please Vote_rcap 
David
darkness help please Vote_lcapdarkness help please Voting_bardarkness help please Vote_rcap 
barnie
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1297 registered users
The newest registered user is tharunjohar50

Our users have posted a total of 222847 messages in 14006 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
darkness help please Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
darkness help please Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

darkness help please

Go down 
+3
steve1952
David
notykinlofts
7 posters
AuthorMessage
notykinlofts
Hatchling
Hatchling
notykinlofts

darkness help please Empty
PostSubject: darkness help please   darkness help please EmptyThu May 20, 2010 8:32 pm

hi guys me again lol, i know i asked this before but how long do you keep the ybs on darkness, i been told only till they finnish the moult,others say all season untill the nights start drawing in,if i keep them on untill the nights start drawing in , what happens with my mid week where the birds dont get home untill 5.30 to 6pm and they g on darkness at 4pm,or if a yb gets home late well after they all gone on darkness.some help here please guys.

mark
Back to top Go down
http://marks-white-dove-release.co.uk
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: darkness help please   darkness help please EmptyThu May 20, 2010 8:41 pm

hi mark, this is my first season on darkness, as far as i know they come off on the longest day......regarding the midweek flying, i dont think the couple of hours would make that much difference once a week, altho if it was me and i was racing mid week i would try darken down later than 4 clock.....i open at 9 am and close at 5 pm but theres nothing t stop you doing it at any time as long as they get there 8 hurs or so...... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
notykinlofts
Hatchling
Hatchling
notykinlofts

PostSubject: Re: darkness help please   darkness help please EmptyThu May 20, 2010 8:43 pm

just worked it out the longest day of the year is 21st june so will be ok as yb racing dont start untill july
Back to top Go down
steve1952
Youngbird
Youngbird
steve1952

PostSubject: Re: darkness help please   darkness help please EmptyThu May 20, 2010 8:52 pm

2 guys in our club are starting end of this month to take birds off darkness gradually, by extending daylight from 8hrs a day by 1 hr
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: darkness help please   darkness help please EmptyThu May 20, 2010 9:05 pm

hi steve, ive heard of fanciers taking the cocks ff it befre the longest day, and leaving the hens until the longest day.......i suppse everyone has their own ideas dont they, im just experrimenting this year with it being the first time ive done it. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
littlehen
Hatchling
Hatchling
littlehen

PostSubject: Re: darkness help please   darkness help please EmptyThu May 20, 2010 11:56 pm

darken to what hours suit you mark,as long as they get 8 - 9 hours light they will be ok. dont worry if you are 10/25 mins difference when opening or closing,it wont make any difference. Razz
Back to top Go down
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

PostSubject: Re: darkness help please   darkness help please EmptyFri May 21, 2010 11:00 pm

Will agree with you Little Hen
Back to top Go down
steve1952
Youngbird
Youngbird
steve1952

PostSubject: Re: darkness help please   darkness help please EmptySat May 22, 2010 7:02 am

DAVID wrote:
hi steve, ive heard of fanciers taking the cocks ff it befre the longest day, and leaving the hens until the longest day.......i suppse everyone has their own ideas dont they, im just experrimenting this year with it being the first time ive done it. Very Happy
havent heard of anybody doing that but will be taking mine off together
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: darkness help please   darkness help please EmptySat May 22, 2010 9:41 am

yes me too, longest day......... Very Happy dont know why mind you, just because im following someones system which works for them.... Very Happy cheers lol!
Back to top Go down
Mick B
Chipping
Chipping
Mick B

PostSubject: Re: darkness help please   darkness help please EmptySat May 22, 2010 11:38 pm

leave them all on until the longest day mark,cocks and hens.

mick.
Back to top Go down
notykinlofts
Hatchling
Hatchling
notykinlofts

PostSubject: Re: darkness help please   darkness help please EmptyTue Jun 08, 2010 8:26 pm

thanks lads im takeing them of darkness on the 21st june as advised on here you all been a grate help again cheers
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: darkness help please   darkness help please EmptyTue Jun 08, 2010 8:29 pm

hope they do well for you mark........... Very Happy keep us informed wont you. cheers
Back to top Go down
steve1952
Youngbird
Youngbird
steve1952

PostSubject: Re: darkness help please   darkness help please EmptyWed Jun 09, 2010 6:09 am

took mine off dark last week was losing a y/b nearly everyday 26 left from 42 in darkness, lost none since, lost none of natural y/bs
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: darkness help please   darkness help please EmptyWed Jun 09, 2010 3:08 pm

steve, so are you saying that having ybs on darkness is a reason for flyaways......? if so why do you think this. personnally by my experience i do think dark ybs are reluctant to fly compared with naturals but thats just from judging my own birds.......with my darks not wanting to fly i havnt lost any ybs this year compared to other years when i couldnt keep them at one stage, p.s. when i say they wont fly, they do flutter about and some do fly in a group but as of yet no ranging..........so if they dont get going soon im stuffed. No
Back to top Go down
steve1952
Youngbird
Youngbird
steve1952

PostSubject: Re: darkness help please   darkness help please EmptyWed Jun 09, 2010 4:23 pm

natural younger y/bs doing better than darkness y/bs
Back to top Go down
steve1952
Youngbird
Youngbird
steve1952

PostSubject: Re: darkness help please   darkness help please EmptyWed Jun 09, 2010 4:25 pm

mine are bunching not flying long except 2 hens, so training before i should only 2 going off for over an hour out of 26
Back to top Go down
notykinlofts
Hatchling
Hatchling
notykinlofts

PostSubject: Re: darkness help please   darkness help please EmptyWed Jun 09, 2010 4:38 pm

DAVID wrote:
steve, so are you saying that having ybs on darkness is a reason for flyaways......? if so why do you think this. personnally by my experience i do think dark ybs are reluctant to fly compared with naturals but thats just from judging my own birds.......with my darks not wanting to fly i havnt lost any ybs this year compared to other years when i couldnt keep them at one stage, p.s. when i say they wont fly, they do flutter about and some do fly in a group but as of yet no ranging..........so if they dont get going soon im stuffed. No

i normaly lose lots by flyaways every year when i have had them on natural,this year on darkness i only lost one and i got that back it was reported 10 miles from me and went and got it,so darkness to me so far is better.
Back to top Go down
notykinlofts
Hatchling
Hatchling
notykinlofts

PostSubject: Re: darkness help please   darkness help please EmptyWed Jun 09, 2010 4:39 pm

and yes david i will let you all know how they do smiles and sadness im sure lol
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: darkness help please   darkness help please EmptyWed Jun 09, 2010 6:45 pm

think thats the story of pigeon racing/keeping mark, smiles and sadness lol! looking forward to seeing how some of our new flyers (me include Very Happy ) do in their first season.....and also some of our more experienced ones too. Razz
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: darkness help please   darkness help please EmptyWed Jun 09, 2010 8:27 pm

seems like 21st of this month is the longest day, so my darks will be coming off it......the older ybs are looking nice and like yearlings but the younger ones are in bits at the moment, doesnt look like these will be right for racing.....????

any thoughts anyone ?
Back to top Go down
Ginger
Youngbird
Youngbird
Ginger

PostSubject: Re: darkness help please   darkness help please EmptyWed Jun 09, 2010 9:48 pm

I took mine off darkness on the 1st of june and I have been letting them out at 7 in the morning and again at 7 at night to get them to no where the sun is at that time of the day its just a thing Iv got I think shadows are different and tend to make them a bit jumpy scratch scratch scratch scratch scratch

Last edited by Ginger169 on Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

PostSubject: Re: darkness help please   darkness help please EmptyWed Jun 09, 2010 10:51 pm

Some good points being made
Back to top Go down
Ginger
Youngbird
Youngbird
Ginger

PostSubject: Re: darkness help please   darkness help please EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 4:55 pm

My youngbirds go out with the old ones I find they pick up laerning from them, they also pick up bad abets but that is what I am there for, they learn to come in they learn to aproach the loft against the wind its suprising what they pick up from the old I must point out they are in there own l compartment I am 1 of the lucky ones I
am home allday with the birds I have flown this way for a long time it suets me as well I get ups and downs with the birds but I tnink everybody does in some way or
another the best thing for me is observation. study study study study
Back to top Go down
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

PostSubject: Re: darkness help please   darkness help please EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 9:36 pm

Will agree there Ginger
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: darkness help please   darkness help please Empty

Back to top Go down

darkness help please
Page 1 of 1